Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 02-07-2012, 06:52 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A toonster post???

...BOING!!!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:44 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
It's hard to imagine the Pats getting too aggressive and moving up for someone. The one receiver that, gut feeling, that they might like would be Kendall Wright, and if he slips a bit, I think they could go after him. He fits their style, but I tend to think Wright goes much higher than people think (I could see him mid-first, reminds me of Lee Evans value coming out).
Take it from a pats fan, the Patriots will not draft a WR in round 1. First, Bill Belichick wants all of his first rounders to be 3+ down players and in the Patriots offense, that means being able to be part of one of the more complicated hurry up offenses in the NFL. The Patriots are far more likely to go after a veteran FA than even consider drafting a WR in round 1, let alone trade up for one.

I'd love Kendall Wright, Michael Floyd, or even Alshon Jeffery (if the background checks pass).

Quote:
This is probably a great draft for the Pats to be the Pats. Deal down, amass picks later or for the future. The potential values and fits in the 2nd-4th round areas are awfully good for them. I imagine that, with a full off-season, that they will go with more odd-fronts (and considering they have a really nice linebacking group in development). While Markelle Carter is interesting, and Jermaine Cunningham still holds fascination, I wouldn't be surprised if they added to it.
Is that a nice way to say that this draft class (in round 1) is very pathetic? Because I'd agree. The Pats needs are not aligned with this class.

Quote:
For many years, I've never really thought there was an ideal Patriots rush backer pick early (loved Jabal Sheard, but not really ideal for the Pats). In Cam Johnson, I think this is as close as ideal for the Pats scheme, provided he checks out off-field. Former DB, played rush backer, learned to set the edge as a base 4-3 end. Would probably lose some weight to play rush backer again. Learned to be disciplined. And he's a guy that might be there mid-2nd-mid-3rd.
Agreed on this.

Quote:
I tend to think they ought to wait on CB's. They want an instinctual guy, so that doesn't necessarily necessitate a high CB pick in this draft, as the depth is so good (Chase Minnifield seems like an excellent fit for them, but there's others). A big center is needed, and outside of Konz, they are better off going with someone in the 2nd-4th range as well.
I'm a big Brandon Boykin guy. He needs to be better in the run game, but he's got Patriots written all over him.

I'm not really that wowed by Konz. I personally think the Pats are better off waiting for round 4 and taking a shot there at a center. Dan Koppen doesn't really impress me, but I'd rather have Koppen (or Connolly) than a high pick in this class on a center.

Quote:
I wonder if Belichick plucks a WR specimen again, someone like Dwight Jones. Not a great fit on paper, but the physical tools may entice. I'd actually like to see them upgrade the DL a bit, but my hunch is that the talent likely won't fit their intrigue, and that they might feel, with Wilfork in his prime and Love developing, they can afford to go after vet FA's to fill out the depth chart for competition.
Someone suggested Steven Hill, but quite frankly, both are major projects with their route running.

Quote:
The decision on McCourty may be the most fascinating. He's clearly better in zone-read concepts, but the talent is too intriguing to not give it another go. Of course, putting him at FS could address a huge need for range if they upgrade at CB.
They'll need to address the safety position in either FA or the draft. Hopefully the draft.

Quote:
I tend to think Hoyer may be dealt for picks (perhaps future picks).
Eh... I'd be shocked if anyone gave up more than a very late mid round pick for him. I like him, but he has no film and he doesn't have elite skills.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:21 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just had the weirdest thought: Would I be upset if we took Lamar Miller in the first? No. He reminds me so much of Clinton Portis. I know that we all want to see what Ridley can do and especially Vereen, but none of those guys can hold a candle to Miller... Just saying... I'm not rooting for Miller in the first though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:55 AM    (permalink
Vaylor
Rookie

Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Taking a 1st round RB after barely using the two we drafted last year would be rage inducing.
Vaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:02 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaylor View Post
Taking a 1st round RB after barely using the two we drafted last year would be rage inducing.
RAGE! I tell you!

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:39 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
RAGE! I tell you!
Even I'd be really pissed.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:14 AM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Janoris Jenkins is my dream draft pick with a late round pick. CB major need, kid has top 15 talent with terrible character, Patriots need him and could handle him.

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jenkins would be a great pick, I'd love for that to happen. I don't think he'll fall that far though. Also, I don't view CB as a huge need since we have Dowling coming back, McCourty could still turn out well and Arrington with in the slot CB shouldn't be a priority in the draft. I think they'll target a veteran in FA instead tbh.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:19 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You can never have too many CB's, and the Pats don't have enough. Sterling Moore, Antwaun Molden, and Julian Edelman played significant time at CB in the playoffs. That right there tells me there's a need at the position. And there may be varied opinions on Arrington but I personally think he is mediocre at best and really should be back playing special teams only and not playing CB.

McCourty looked great as a rookie. I think he proved he can be a good CB. But that begs the question why he looked so bad this past season. It's a major unknown whether or not he will ever play again like he did as a rookie.

I like Dowling a lot. He could be a good one. But again it's a huge unknown because the guy has never proven he can stay healthy.

Bottom line for me, they have a couple good yet questionable CB's in McCourty and Dowling, an ok one in Arrington, and not much else. And while I don't think CB is their biggest need, this may be the worst draft for safeties that I have ever seen, so I think just drafting DB's in general (or signing them as FA's), no matter if they are CB or S's, would be a very wise move.
TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

I'd be perfectly happy moving forward with McCourty, Dowling, Arrington, Moore and some FA veteran or an UDFA. There's loads of potential in that group, they just haven't had a chance since the DL failed to consistently make opposing QBs uncomfortable. I'd much rather spend our picks on building a stout DL and getting a pair of athletic OLBs who can actually chase down QBs when they leave the pocket. Andre Branch and Shea McClellin comes to mind. If you really want to address the defensive backfield let's grab a safety. Heck, let's take two! Harrison Smith, Mark Barron and Brandon Taylor would all fit in well. Besides, after the mess BB created by cutting Sanders we only have Chung left who should actually play in the NFL and he can't stay healthy to save his life ffs. I fully expect BB to aggressively target the safety position in FA. Michael Griffin is my favorite in that group.

I know the CBs didn't look good, but we can't go the Detroit route and draft a CB high every year. I think we need to let the players develop and instead surround the DBs with talent where we don't have it now: DE, S and OLB.

Quote:
Old 02-29-2012, 03:03 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I'd be perfectly happy moving forward with McCourty, Dowling, Arrington, Moore and some FA veteran or an UDFA. There's loads of potential in that group, they just haven't had a chance since the DL failed to consistently make opposing QBs uncomfortable. I'd much rather spend our picks on building a stout DL and getting a pair of athletic OLBs who can actually chase down QBs when they leave the pocket. Andre Branch and Shea McClellin comes to mind. If you really want to address the defensive backfield let's grab a safety. Heck, let's take two! Harrison Smith, Mark Barron and Brandon Taylor would all fit in well. Besides, after the mess BB created by cutting Sanders we only have Chung left who should actually play in the NFL and he can't stay healthy to save his life ffs. I fully expect BB to aggressively target the safety position in FA. Michael Griffin is my favorite in that group.

I know the CBs didn't look good, but we can't go the Detroit route and draft a CB high every year. I think we need to let the players develop and instead surround the DBs with talent where we don't have it now: DE, S and OLB.
I think most of this is wishful thinking. I like Dowling, but I think you need to presume at this point that the likelihood is that he's going to get hurt. McCourty you need to look at with a grain of salt too. You've got Arrington who played extremely poorly last year despite notching all those interceptions and a twice cut UDFA in Moore who has 2 good games in his career. In no way is this a settled position. In fact besides safety this was easily the worst position on the entire team last season. Potential is great, but if they're truly going to make it they should be able to make it on the field regardless of who is in their way.

I'd jump for joy if the Pats signed Lardarius Webb to an offer sheet or signed Carr, Porter, Rodgers, Thomas, ect. There is nothing wrong with adding another guy. I don't particularly like most of the corners in this class besides Jenkins or Claiborne(obviously), but a second round guy might be ok. Sooner or later you're bound to eventually hit. Competition is a good thing, and the team can't win the Superbowl if the corners continue to play as god awful as they did last year.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:18 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The line of thinking whereby the Pats don't need a CB sounds just like it did two years ago when we grabbed McCourty. The only difference is that we've switched up some names. The rough equivalent looks like this:
Hobbs=Arrington, Bodden=Dowling and McCourty=Springs (albeit much younger.)

Arguments can be made for any position defensively, really. The only spot that doesn't need an upgrade is NT. But even there we could use some depth, as Vince just can't handle the massive workload BB is dumping on him. Mayo / Chung / Spikes are solid. Carter / Anderson / McCourty are wildcards for various reasons, and everything else on D needs help. Honestly, the only difference from one position to the next on D is that some are in desperate need of help, while others have servicable players manning the spot currently.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
I think most of this is wishful thinking. I like Dowling, but I think you need to presume at this point that the likelihood is that he's going to get hurt. McCourty you need to look at with a grain of salt too. You've got Arrington who played extremely poorly last year despite notching all those interceptions and a twice cut UDFA in Moore who has 2 good games in his career. In no way is this a settled position. In fact besides safety this was easily the worst position on the entire team last season. Potential is great, but if they're truly going to make it they should be able to make it on the field regardless of who is in their way.

I'd jump for joy if the Pats signed Lardarius Webb to an offer sheet or signed Carr, Porter, Rodgers, Thomas, ect. There is nothing wrong with adding another guy. I don't particularly like most of the corners in this class besides Jenkins or Claiborne(obviously), but a second round guy might be ok. Sooner or later you're bound to eventually hit. Competition is a good thing, and the team can't win the Superbowl if the corners continue to play as god awful as they did last year.
I'd love to sign any of those FAs. My point is that I don't want to continue drafting CBs high and not address the rest of the defense. I don't consider the CB position as settled, but I think that there is potential there and the team owes itself to see what they have there before they move on.

Quote:
Old 02-29-2012, 03:29 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To me personally it makes so much more sense to stay in a 4-3 than a 3-4. We have Wilfork who is great in either scheme and Spikes who'd be better in 3-4, but we have at least serviceable guys for 5 of the 7 in the front 7 and if we retain Anderson and Carter then we'd have a front 7 that I'd be pretty comfortable going into 2012 with. We can add a piece to the DL here and there, but

Carter-Love-Wilfork-Anderson
Ninkovich/Fletcher-Spikes-Mayo

is pretty solid. I like Kyle Love a lot more than most, but he played really well in every game except the Super Bowl, and really besides Wilfork was probably our most consistently good player on defense last year. For a 2 year pro he's vastly exceeded my expectations. I think he needs to figure into the long term plans as well.

I think our emphasis this offseason should really go towards CB, S, and a deep threat WR. I know BB can work out a serviceable front 7 with what he has, but we have nobody on the roster right now who can fill out the other spots.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
Carter-Love-Wilfork-Anderson
Ninkovich/Fletcher-Spikes-Mayo
How is that serviceable? You'd have a DL that can't generate consistent pass rush and lack the athleticism to chase down players. You'd also have to suffer through another season with Ninko sucking balls at OLB and Fletcher missing assignments. I'm sorry, but I can't tolerate that as a fan. I agree that staying in the 4-3 is clever since so many teams are running the 3-4, but if that's the case you need to make a splash for some impact D-linemen. You'd need a 3-tech and two athletic DEs. The cost of staying in the 4-3 are pretty high imo, but switching back to the 3-4 has a lot of bust potential too. BB has put himself in a tough spot here and I can't wait to see what he does. But I'm pretty sure that he's going to aggressively target D-linemen/pass rushers and safeties - not CBs.

Quote:
Old 02-29-2012, 03:38 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How is that serviceable? You'd have a DL that can't generate consistent pass rush and lack the athleticism to chase down players. You'd also have to suffer through another season with Ninko sucking balls at OLB and Fletcher missing assignments. I'm sorry, but I can't tolerate that as a fan. I agree that staying in the 4-3 is clever since so many teams are running the 3-4, but if that's the case you need to make a splash for some impact D-linemen. You'd need a 3-tech and two athletic DEs. The cost of staying in the 4-3 are pretty high imo, but switching back to the 3-4 has a lot of bust potential too. BB has put himself in a tough spot here and I can't wait to see what he does. But I'm pretty sure that he's going to aggressively target D-linemen/pass rushers and safeties - not CBs.
I agree.

Except the part about BB aggressively targeting DL/Passrush/S. He'll target a C, TE and CB because he reads these boards and does everything in his power to destroy our happiness.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
I agree.

Except the part about BB aggressively targeting DL/Passrush/S. He'll target a C, TE and CB because he reads these boards and does everything in his power to destroy our happiness.
Haha so true, hes the biggest troll on this board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:58 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Well the Pass Rush racked up 40 sacks last season and 11 more in the playoffs and played a major role in beating the Broncos and the Ravens. Carter, Ninkovich, and Anderson all fit better in a 4-3 and combined for 27 sacks last year. We were certainly better last year at rushing the passer than the year before where we were god awful despite leading most of the time by double digits. Before Carter went down the Anderson/Carter Duo was actually really good. I'd like a long term solution at pass rusher too, and if there is a good value in the early rounds I'd certainly take it. However, McCourty was the only corner to give up over 1000 yards in a season since they started tracking it, Dowling has lingering injury issues, and Arrington really struggled past week 8 last year.

It's easy to say well McCourty and Dowling should do better because of X and Y reasons, but in reality we've done that the past two seasons with guys like Butler and Bodden and it's bitten us on the ass. Improved Cornerback play is likely going to correlate with better success on defense than improved play form the DL. Last year the DL wasn't the problem, it was the secondary not being able to cover anyone.

There is a tendency to deflect blame away from the corners because they're young and we invested a lot of resources into them, but in reality QB's are throwing at our corners in man coverage and oftentimes they look absolutely lost. It was such a surprise to see Sterling Moore break up those passes, but it shouldn't be because that is what teams with good CB's get with regularity.

Also, Ninko played fairly well last season, so I don't know where you're getting the idea that he sucked.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:00 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'd love to sign any of those FAs. My point is that I don't want to continue drafting CBs high and not address the rest of the defense. I don't consider the CB position as settled, but I think that there is potential there and the team owes itself to see what they have there before they move on.
Missed this post. I prefer the free agents to the draft too. I'd really only be ok with Gilmore or Jenkins in the first and Hosley on day 2. I still think it's the #2 need on this team though behind safety. I'd love Webb sooooo much even if it cost us a first and a hefty contract.

I'm also not saying I don't want D-lineman, it's just that I'd be more comfortable going in with the D-lineman we had last year than the CB's we had last year. We got better production from them no matter how you slice it.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:15 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well they have enough draft picks in the first three rounds to address all the defensive positions including CB. It's what they should have done last year when they inexplicably drafted all offense with the exception of Dowling. I'm still hoping for a draft heavy on defense. And I'll take as many FA DB's that they can get on top of that.

1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

2 Anyone but McClellin, Wolfe, Doug Martin or an OT

3 Anyone but Wolfe

TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:00 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is something I've been thinking about for a while and has seemingly never really been considered, but does anyone think Fletcher Cox could potentially play the elephant role in New England's 3-4 better than he could handle the responsibilities we assign to a defensive end? Cox has no anchor and gets completely neutralized by double teams, which are the two main traits Belichick looks for in a two-gap end, but he is very powerful and surprisingly athletic and has some experience in a two-point stance and dropping into coverage. Of course, if the team wanted to utilize him as a one-gap under tackle in four-man fronts and a situational one-gap defensive end in odd fronts on obvious passing downs, that would be an option, but I just want to make sure we've covered every possibility.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:03 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
This is something I've been thinking about for a while and has seemingly never really been considered, but does anyone think Fletcher Cox could potentially play the elephant role in New England's 3-4 better than he could handle the responsibilities we assign to a defensive end? Cox has no anchor and gets completely neutralized by double teams, which are the two main traits Belichick looks for in a two-gap end, but he is very powerful and surprisingly athletic and has some experience in a two-point stance and dropping into coverage. Maybe if he lost ten pounds and played at 6'4", 285? Just a thought.
That's definitely an interesting thought. But I really don't see Cox having the necessary burst or suddenness to beat tackles in the NFL. I really like Cox as a 3-tech, but I don't think he's a very good fit in other roles than that. If we stay in the 4-3 I'd love to get Cox.

Quote:
Old 03-05-2012, 08:26 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
but does anyone think Fletcher Cox could potentially play the elephant role in New England's 3-4
I like the thought, but that's way way way too much projection.

It's hard enough to project a DE to OLB, let alone a DT to OLB.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:06 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I encourage you all to check out my latest 4 round mock draft :)

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51453

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:29 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

With a little more than a month to go before the draft starts and a right before free agency, here's my most recent Patriots mock.

27) Janoris Jenkins CB, North Alabama
31) Shea McClellin DE/OLB, Boise St.
48) Harrison Smith S, Notre Dame
63) Marvin McNutt WR, Iowa
94) Derek Wolfe DT, Cincinnati
126) Jeff Fuller WR, Texas A&M

I think the first 3 picks are pretty self explanatory. McNutt I feel has been criminally underrated this whole process, and after timing well at the combine there isn't any reason why he shouldn't go in the 2nd. Wolfe is a great pass rusher and a good value guy who can get plenty of reps in our nickel package. Plus, I think he's a lot more stout in the run game than people give him credit for. I think he could 2 gap the same way Mike Wright could. Finally, Fuller is a shot in the dark. He has a lot of rough edges, but he's at least has 2nd round type ability.