Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cleveland Browns Team Forum

Cleveland Browns Team Forum Discuss the Browns

Old 03-20-2012, 12:03 PM    (permalink
twiz
Veteran

twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You know, the deeper we get into the offseason, the more I think it's looking like this with the Browns 4th overall:

1. Trade back
2. Blackmon

I can't see Richardson with the injury concern. I think they're comfortable going with Haden and Patterson at CB (though I can't completely dismiss Claiborne. He's that talented), and I think the darkhorse DE spot with Coples is out with the signings of Rucker and Parker (plus I think there are too many questions on Coples too). So I can see Blackmon being a fallback option if they can't trade back for more picks. I'm just not sure who you're trading back in the draft for. Floyd? Martin? Richardson at a later pick? Just hope it's not Tannehill...
twiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:35 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The thing about Blackmon is that he is a top 10 prospect but he isn't one of the elite prospects in this draft. The top guys are clearly Luck, Griffin, Kalil, Claiborne, and Richardson. To take Blackmon or Tannehill over those guys means that we reached for need, and Heckert isn't gonna stray from his draft board.

I wouldn't be very happy if we took Tannehill that high, but taking him isn't as bad as it sounds. It proves that we are devoted to upgrading the QB position and spending quality picks on potential franchise QBs is a move you can commend even if they bust just b/c you absolutely have to have one and we haven't had one since the return. He is a good prospect in his own right too, he's just a lot like Jake Locker in that he is extremely raw and has huge bust potential, but his upside is tremendous and he profiles to be at least an average starting QB whose tools suit him perfectly for the WCO.

If I were a betting man I'd say Richardson at #4 is most likely, followed by Claiborne. I think that them targeting Tannehill is very possible too, whether they trade down or not.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:03 PM    (permalink
ArtModel
Rookie

ArtModel hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Holmgren's strength is in his coaching, not his evaluation of talent. His draft record from 99-08 1st rounders:

Lamar King
Shaun Alexander
Chris McIntosh
Koren Robinson
Steve Hutchinson
Jerramy Stevens
Marcus Trufant
Marcus Tubbs
Chris Spencer
Kelly Jennings
Lawrence Jackson

Alexander and Hutchinson, great picks esp. the latter. The rest? At least we will be picking high again next spring...
ArtModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:31 AM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtModel View Post
Holmgren's strength is in his coaching, not his evaluation of talent. His draft record from 99-08 1st rounders:

Lamar King
Shaun Alexander
Chris McIntosh
Koren Robinson
Steve Hutchinson
Jerramy Stevens
Marcus Trufant
Marcus Tubbs
Chris Spencer
Kelly Jennings
Lawrence Jackson

Alexander and Hutchinson, great picks esp. the latter. The rest? At least we will be picking high again next spring...
That's why Tom Heckert is in charge of the draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:47 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Few scenarios I'd be OK with.

#4 a.Blackmon or b.Richardson. Browns were last in the league in plays over 2Oyds. Offensive help is the first priority...after QB. Tannehill at #4 would truely be a massive reach. I don't think they've got the brass for that. Claiborne is overrated.

#22. a.Doug Martin or b.Stephen Hill/Kendall Wright. If Tannehill is on the board it's going to be hard to pass him but I'd prefer to look at a QB in the 2nd or 3rd. And I definitely think we have to look at a QB early. Someone on the other board mentioned sticking with McCoy and going with Wallace if he stumbles but I think they need/will get serious competition at this spot this year. It's too important to put off.

#37. a.OT Mitchell Schwartz/Bobby Massie or b.Vinny Curry (or c.Brock Osweiler if his stock rises after his pro day.) There's actually a bunch of guys I like here and wouldn't be upset if we took any of them. Amini Salatolu/Ronnell Lewis/Dwayne Allen/Mychal Kendricks

It's possible to maby get Martin or David Wilson at #37 so a OT like Adams might also be a solid pick at #22. If we somehow pass on Tannehill at #22 and he's still there late into the first I'd expect we use our #37 to move back up. I'm not thrilled at that but... If the rumored trade for Griffin is true it's clear the FO is not satisfied with McCoy. The only way we don't make a move on a QB fairly early is if they already rated the 2013 QB class through the roof.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:38 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In a mock I'm writing I have the Browns taking Trent Richardson and Michael Floyd in the first round. Are Browns fans happy with this or would you rather Cleveland go after a lineman at 22?
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:58 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we'd all be thrilled if Michael Floyd fell to us at 22. That's possibly the best case scenario right there.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:58 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Quote:

Lamar King
Shaun Alexander
Chris McIntosh
Koren Robinson
Steve Hutchinson
Jerramy Stevens
Marcus Trufant
Marcus Tubbs
Chris Spencer
Kelly Jennings
Lawrence Jackson

not relevelant, troll.......Tom Heckert is our GM and he picks the players.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:04 PM    (permalink
twiz
Veteran

twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagewarrior View Post
In a mock I'm writing I have the Browns taking Trent Richardson and Michael Floyd in the first round. Are Browns fans happy with this or would you rather Cleveland go after a lineman at 22?
I can't explain how happy I'd be.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:06 PM    (permalink
twiz
Veteran

Ok, so to revise a post I made before, I'm thinking it's this situation now:

1. Trade back
2. Richardson
3. Blackmon

The Browns haven't even talked to a RB in FA (that I remember). They're either extremely comfortable with Hardesty, or they can't wait to add Richardson. I'd lean more towards the latter. But if it's the former, as of now I'd think the 4th pick would be Blackmon over Claiborne.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:02 PM    (permalink
ArtModel
Rookie

ArtModel hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
not relevelant, troll.......Tom Heckert is our GM and he picks the players.
If Holmgren has no say in the draft then why was he the one in the press conference saying that the offer we made St. Louis was "every bit the offer" that Washington made? Why is he going to "kind of discourage" Heckert from trading out of #4? If you think that Holmgren is not running the show (into the groud) then you have been drinking up that Cuyahoga River water.

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2012/...ading-for-no-2
ArtModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:01 PM    (permalink
initial_flo
Rookie

initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.

Its almost to the point, where I dont really care which of these players they take at 4:

Blackmon, Richardson, even Kalil or Claiborne.

Everyone one of these players are the elite of this class and would provide a 0-100 upgrade instantly.

Where the Browns really need to do the damage is at 22 and 37. They can so easily mess those up and set back the franchise again especially since we took no FAs of note. Were putting a lot of eggs in this years draft basket.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:43 PM    (permalink
twiz
Veteran

Quote:
If Holmgren has no say in the draft then why was he the one in the press conference saying that the offer we made St. Louis was "every bit the offer" that Washington made? Why is he going to "kind of discourage" Heckert from trading out of #4? If you think that Holmgren is not running the show (into the groud) then you have been drinking up that Cuyahoga River water.

Who is this? A bored Stealers fan?
Old 03-26-2012, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Of course he has say. That's why Colt McCoy is a Brown. But your first post suggested it's all him; obviously it's not.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:18 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

He has input, but he is not the guy who runs the draft. He runs the organization, but Heckert is the guy in charge of drafting players and filling the roster. Don't feed the troll anymore.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:17 AM    (permalink
A.Zajac
Rookie

A.Zajac hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

After listening to Tom Heckert the past few days.. I've drawn the following conclusions:

1. They seem content on giving Colt McCoy one more year. They've re-irritated this over and over. That said, I still believe they draft a QB... but not early.

2. They will draft offense early and often. Heckhart made a few comments about M. Claiborne about while it would be difficult to pass on him, he doesn't see them drafting defense there.

3. With those two comments in mind, I believe it's fair enough to rule out Tannehill and Claiborne at 4. Assuming the Vikings pick Kalil at 3, I believe the decision ultimately comes down to Richardson or Blackmon. If the Vikings throw a monkey wrench into the fire and draft someone other than Kalil, then it could get more interesting.

4. Pat Shurmer said the teams to draft a RT who can start immediately in 2012. To me, this says they either spend their second first round pick on one or their second round pick. This may also depend on who they draft at 4. For instance, if they draft Richardson, it's PLAUSIBLE they would go with Kendall Wright and then elect to draft a tackle in round two. If the Browns decided to draft Blackmon, I believe they'd spend their second first round pick on a tackle, someone like Mike Adams, and spend their second round pick on David Wilson if he's available.
A.Zajac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Agreed. He's also mentioned the possibly of trading down more then once. An off the radar guy they could be looking at if a trade down occurs is David DeCastro. I read reports out of his pro day that some teams think he can play RT. At 6'5 315 it's not out of the question. I think I'd take him over Reiff for that spot.

The 5 guys Heckert said they like. guesses?

Blackmon
Richardson
Floyd
DeCastro
Reiff

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:31 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

I can't remember if Heckert said those five included the two QBs or not. If they did then obviously those 5 guys are Luck, Griffin, Kalil, Claiborne, and Richardson.........if they don't include the QBs I'd guess the 5 are Kalil, Claiborne, Richardson, and Blackmon for sure. The fifth probably being Coples, Reiff, Martin, Floyd, Tannehill, or someone like that.

My latest mock draft has us going

#4-Trent Richardson-RB
#22-Kendall Wright-WR
#37-Bobby Massie-RT

I think that would be a fantastic start to our draft. I would dig Mike Adams, Jonathan Martin, or Cordy Glenn at 22. Claiborne or Blackmon at 4 are the only other guys I would consider besides Richardson. Maybe we can trade down and still get one of those guys even. If they don't draft a WR in round one then they HAVE to draft either Randle, Hill, or Jeffery at 37.

Also, having 10 more picks after the first two rounds is exciting!

Last edited by keylime_5 : 03-27-2012 at 05:33 PM.
keylime_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:14 PM    (permalink
initial_flo
Rookie

initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.initial_flo is so money.

They have to stay in the top 6, another move outside of the elite class of players I feel would be absolutely indefensible. Especially since there is no crazy rookie scale.

Turning top 6 picks into Alex Macks, Phil Taylors and Reilly Reiffs is not taking us to the promise land.

I think heckerts the top 5 is:
Kalil
Claiborne
Richardson
Blackmon

Am I the only one who would honestly be truly surprised if they took Blackmon? It doesn't seem like its the style of the current Browns to take a flashy impact player that may be a single grade point lower then the others prospects on the board.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:01 PM    (permalink
A.Zajac
Rookie

A.Zajac hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by initial_flo View Post
They have to stay in the top 6, another move outside of the elite class of players I feel would be absolutely indefensible. Especially since there is no crazy rookie scale.

Turning top 6 picks into Alex Macks, Phil Taylors and Reilly Reiffs is not taking us to the promise land.

I think heckerts the top 5 is:
Kalil
Claiborne
Richardson
Blackmon

Am I the only one who would honestly be truly surprised if they took Blackmon? It doesn't seem like its the style of the current Browns to take a flashy impact player that may be a single grade point lower then the others prospects on the board.
If the draft were today, my feeling would be they'd take Richardson. That said, the draft is still a little ways off.
A.Zajac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:24 PM    (permalink
mdmgrand
Rookie

mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

4) Trent Richardson RB - With the offense lacking talent, they need to pick BPA on offense with their first three picks. Richardson reminds me of Jonathan Stewart, in the ways that they are built like a tank and have enough speed to break out the long runs. Richardson seems to run harder on a more consistent basis than most backs. I would be thrilled to have him as a back for the next six to eight years. He may last even longer considering his excellent build.

22) Stephen Hill WR - Not only is he Big and Fast, but he also played in a Run First (and always) offense, and he has a strong grade for blocking... Athleticism has always been there, considering he could have developed into a Olympic Long Jumper (25-8 3/4 in High School, would have placed 9th in Beijing).

37) Zebrie Sanders OT - Talented and experienced Tackle who could start from day one at the RT position.
mdmgrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:10 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

I don't mind TRich at 4. Hill would be a reach at 22 IMO, and Sanders an absolute reach at 37. I think if we go RT at 37 it will be Massie. I think at 22 if Wright and Floyd are gone then we are more likely to take a RT there than a WR.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:04 PM    (permalink
mdmgrand
Rookie

mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It is debatable between whether those two are reaches... I've seen Hill mocked from 20 to 60, and I just saw a few Mocks with Sanders going in the mid 20's (which definitely is a reach) or early second round (right where I have him)...

I initially had Massie in that spot last month, and to be honest, I wouldn't mind him either.

I am still hoping for Hill with the 22nd.
mdmgrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Well, we know our RB coach Gary Brown won't be teaching guys about leverage.

Thing is, he was almost knocked down again when they ran it a second time. And the drills were conducted by the Bengals coaches who looked much more capable then Mr. Brown, who looked more like a scout or bystander. I guess you chalk it up to inexperience since he's only been pro coaching for 3 seasons.

Quote:
Quote:
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:58 PM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Leader View Post
Well, we know our RB coach Gary Brown won't be teaching guys about leverage.

Thing is, he was almost knocked down again when they ran it a second time. And the drills were conducted by the Bengals coaches who looked much more capable then Mr. Brown, who looked more like a scout or bystander. I guess you chalk it up to inexperience since he's only been pro coaching for 3 seasons.
Your first step is usually your most explosive so it makes sense.