Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cleveland Browns Team Forum

Cleveland Browns Team Forum Discuss the Browns

Old 04-05-2012, 03:44 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If somehow Tannehill becomes a hot commodity and someone trades up to 3 to get him, are the Browns interested in Kalil to play RT (or move Thomas to RT and play Kalil at LT)? Is the 4th overall pick worth a RT?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:47 PM    (permalink
mcdlaxbonz13
Veteran

mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
If somehow Tannehill becomes a hot commodity and someone trades up to 3 to get him, are the Browns interested in Kalil to play RT (or move Thomas to RT and play Kalil at LT)? Is the 4th overall pick worth a RT?
I could see them using it as leverage to trade down with someone, but if they did draft him it wouldn't make sense to move joe thomas from the LT spot in my opinion, that job is his for a long time

Sig by jkpigskin , thanks.
mcdlaxbonz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:35 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was thinking about your draft and I think the best thing for you guys to do is

At 4 Blackmon
At 22 Kendall Weight
At 37 Doug Martin

You would have Blackmon, Little, Wright.... Moore and Watson... Hardesty and Martin.

Not bad!
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 PM    (permalink
mdmgrand
Rookie

mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Cleveland Browns need TALENT at nearly every position on the field and really cannot go wrong in the 2012 NFL Draft if they simply pick a good mix of players with game changing potential at skill positions and steady, hard working players at all other positions. Ah, if it was only this simple. Here is my entire mock, and I realize trades will happen, but I sat and contemplated multiple scenarios with Pick 4 and Pick 22, which alter the entire draft for the Browns.

Round 1, Pick 4) Morris Claiborne CB, LSU
- The thought behind this first pick has to be BPA, mixing the value of positions involved as well. Claiborne and Haden would be an amazing duo in the secondary, and in a passing league, you cannot have enough talented CB's, and they do not come very often. Great Pick, partly a Luxury, but we must add elite talent to a position that cannot be filled later.
Need Grade - C, Talent Grade - A

Round 1, Pick 22) Stephen Hill WR, Georgia Tech
- I believe Hill would be a tremendous addition to the Browns at the Pick 22. He is a world class athlete (Long Jumped nearly 26 ft in high school, which would have placed him 9th at the Beijing Olympics) with 4.36 speed at 6-4. He may take a year to develop into a steady receiver, but his big-play ability will we used, as well as his skills as a blocker.
Need Grade - B+, Talent Grade - B+

Round 2, Pick 37) Bobby Massie OT, Ole Miss
- Massie will jump in a become the starter at RT and stay there for years to come. I approve of the Browns waiting until Round Two before they pick a right tackle. Even though Massie will probably never become a Pro Bowl tackle, he grades out to become a solid starter.
Need Grade - A, Talent Grade - B-

Round 3, Pick 67) LaMichael James RB, Oregon
- James will be used as a utility back and a possible punt returner. He would instantly add speed and flashy play to the backfield. He fills the need for a big play back, complimenting Hardesty's size and power. Running backs have a small shelf life and can be had in later rounds; premium picks just should not be used on them. Even though Richardson would be a flashy pick in the Top Five, I believe the Browns should stand pat and wait until Round Three to obtain a back. James may never be a full time back, due to his size and frame, but 12 carries and 3 receptions a game would allow him to be productive and stay healthy.
Need Grade - A, Talent Grade - B+

Round 4, Pick 100) Russell Wilson QB, Wisconsin
- I don't know what it is about Wilson, but I am very high on his ability to succeed in the NFL in spite of his height. Phenomenal arm strength and talent. In the Wisconsin Pro Ready offense, he posted a 33 - 4, TD to INT ratio. He also played behind a very Tall and Big offensive line, similar in size to that of NFL players. Holmgren will also see his athleticism and think back to when he selected Seneca Wallace for the Seahawks (who did/does not have the arm Wilson has). Wilson could challenge for the starting job if McCoy falters early.
Need Grade - B, Talent Grade - B-

Round 4, Pick 118) Marcus Forston DT, Miami
- Looking throughout the balance between need and talent here, there just seems to be no player in a need column that would be a quality pick at this spot. Forston has durability concerns, but he has a great first step, and elite athleticism for the DT spot. He would be a situational player for the Browns, playing primarily on passing downs.
Need Grade - D+, Talent Grade - C+

Round 5, Pick 139) Matt Reynolds OT, BYU
- Reynolds is a solid player who has 52 starts under his belt. A little older at age 25, but that allowed him to fill out his frame and spend a lot of time studying and learning. He is a strong, run blocking tackle, that I believe could be moved around the offensive line. He adds depth and could possibly play at RT or RG.
Need Grade - D+, Talent Grade - C

Round 5, Pick 160) Vontaze Burfict ILB, Arizona State
- Now Burfict may not have a great track record, great speed, and arguably maturity, but this guy has shown flashes of being a great linebacker. Using a fifth round pick on a guy with equal potential as being a starter in three years, or out of the league in three years sounds like a deal to me. Huge hitter with a mean streak. He would add physicality to the Browns defense, much like division rivals Pittsburgh and Baltimore use to their advantage. I am all for taking a chance on this kid.
Need Grade - D, Talent Grade - B

Round 6, Pick 204) Eddie Pleasant SS, Oregon
- The last time the Browns picked a safety from Oregon, it worked out very well with T.J. Ward. As an Oregon fan, I can say that I would be happy to bring Pleasant along board. Even though Ward was more well rounded and consistent, Pleasant was always around the ball. Playing as a Rover, and he used to be a full-time LB, Pleasant would be specifically used as a SS, and he has the athleticism and know how to pull of this transition.
Need Grade - D, Talent Grade - C-, Chance of Making Final Roster - 65%

Round 6, Pick 205) Kourtnei Brown DE, Clemson
- Even though, phonetically speaking, he shares the same name as the Injury-Related Bust in Browns' History, Brown has a chance to make the team as a developmental DE. At 6-5, 255 and with 4.7 speed, Brown could stick as the Browns continue to reshape into a 4-3 team.
Need Grade - C, Talent Grade - D, Chance of Making Final Roster - 50%

Round 7, Pick 211) Micah Pellerin CB, Hampton
- Decent Speed, and Good Size. There is not much more you look for in a Late Round Flyer type pick. These guys from smaller schools may not have the necessary tape on them, and with size and speed, why not?
Need Grade - D, Talent Grade - D-, Chance of Making Final Roster - 45%

Round 7, Pick 245) Bryce Brown RB, Kansas State
- Brown has had a weird college career; one in which many question his commitment to football. People want to think of him as an UDFA, but in my opinion why not draft him late with a comp pick and at least own the rights. We see this every year with running backs with red flags (personal, athletic). The scouts on NFL teams seem to over think the position and simply wait until UDFA stage (Blount TB, Foster HOU). Take a chance on a talented guy, if you must stash him on the practice squad.
Need Grade - C-, Talent Grade - C, Chance of Making Final Roster - 20%

Round 7, Pick 247) Marquis Maze WR, Alabama
- Not much to say here, take an experienced guy with physical limitations and see what happens. I actually believe he will make the final roster or practice squad due to his experience and his decent production.
Need Grade - D, talent Grade - D, Chance of Making Final Roster - 35%
mdmgrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:09 AM    (permalink
OhioJB
Rookie

OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

mdmgrand, the first three picks the Browns make, have the potential to make this draft. Your first three would do that. I particularly like the Massie selection in the 2nd. Claiborne and Hill would be great, but my personal preference is for Richardson at #4 and Wright at #22, although would be ok with Hill instead of Wright. Odds are though at least one of the WR's will be off the board before we use the 2nd 1st round pick.

Couple of draft thoughts:

1) Tampa Bay has been very aggressive in free agency, and I wouldn't be surprised if they over compensate to move up to #3 to get Richardson ahead of the Browns. If that happens I'm all for drafting Claiborne.

2) Brandon Weeden in my opinion is a 3rd round prospect. I don't see him ending up that much better of a QB than McCoy in the long run. Would prefer our 1st and 2nd round selections be used on other positions. I realize Weeden wont last until the 3rd round, so we'd have to forget drafting him, unless he lasts for awhile in the 2nd and the team trades back into the 2nd round to get him.
OhioJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:53 AM    (permalink
mdmgrand
Rookie

mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just don't see the point of using a premium pick on Weeden this year. I say the Browns stock up on playmakers on both sides of the ball. Should Colt not show any progress, then pick a QB in next years first, wherever the pick may be. I believe one more years with a dynamic receiver, dynamic back, and a premium line pick would be fair.

and I also want to say that it was hard for me to have the Browns pass on Richardson

Last edited by mdmgrand : 04-07-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:13 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmgrand View Post
I just don't see the point of using a premium pick on Weeden this year. I say the Browns stock up on playmakers on both sides of the ball. Should Colt not show any progress, then pick a QB in next years first, wherever the pick may be. I believe one more years with a dynamic receiver, dynamic back, and a premium line pick would be fair.

and I also want to say that it was hard for me to have the Browns pass on Richardson
i agree. don't waste a pick on a QB if you're not gonna get Luck or Griffin. The odds aren't in our favor and we are better off just upgrading our horrific offensive supporting cast this year and getting a QB next year. The chances that Weeden or Cousins or even Tannehill (who you have would pass up on an elite offensive talent to take at #4) turn out to be the franchise QB are very slim, not worth the risk when we have sooooo many holes to fill that we are intent on only filling with draft picks and not free agents.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:41 AM    (permalink
diemertsdawgs
Rookie

diemertsdawgs diemertsdawgs diemertsdawgs diemertsdawgs diemertsdawgs diemertsdawgs

This is options I like:
#4 = Richardson/Blackmon/Claiborne or trade down and stock pile picks.
#22 = Stephen Hill WR Ga.Tech/D.Hightower LB Bama/Kirkpatrick CB Bama/Luke Kuechly LB BC/trade down again
#36 = Alshon Jeffrey WR SCar/Harrison Smith S ND/Mike Adams OT Ohio St.
#68= A.Dennard CB/Weeden/Osweiler/R.Turbin/N.Toon/T.Johnson CB Montana Who knows where these guys will fall? Things always change on draft day.
diemertsdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:50 AM    (permalink
OhioJB
Rookie

OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Honestly, I think alot of fans after seeing clips of Richardson's pro day were sold on him, myself included. I doubt too many of us were able to watch most of his college games. So as Mike Mayock and others like to say, he won the underwear Olympics. Seeing clips of his pro day and highlights from last season, made me believe he could take alot of pressure off McCoy and the passing game. Then at #22 if they are able to draft one of the burners at WR who could blow the top off defenses, they'd be able to prevent other teams from stacking the box.

But hey, MH and TH may still be trying to decide between three or four players. I'm sure they know all about the underwear Olympics, and wont be fooled if there's a reason to not believe the hype that Richardson is the best RB since AP. Something MH said though makes me believe either the RB or a WR will be selected at #4. He just made the comment that he thought the fans would be really excited with the player they take there. I doubt he thought we'd be excited with Tannehill or even Claiborne. We'd all be very happy with Claiborne, but probably not excited the way we could be with the RB.

It'll be interesting to see how many times the team trades up in the draft this year. If they want Kendall Wright they may have to trade up at least a couple of spots. More likely though that they try to trade up from 37 to get a 3rd 1st rounder, if they believe they can fit another one in their rookie salary cap. It just makes so much sense to try getting a RB, WR, and OT with the first three selections. Although I do have a bad feeling they want Weeden and might use #22 on him worried he wont be there at #37. They may end up waiting to get their RT in the 3rd round. And where they find a CB will also be something to keep an eye on. I doubt they believe he's already on the team, unless they believe Patterson has good coverage ability. Hard to believe that's the case though.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:59 AM    (permalink
OhioJB
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diemertsdawgs View Post
This is options I like:
#4 = Richardson/Blackmon/Claiborne or trade down and stock pile picks.
#22 = Stephen Hill WR Ga.Tech/D.Hightower LB Bama/Kirkpatrick CB Bama/Luke Kuechly LB BC/trade down again
#36 = Alshon Jeffrey WR SCar/Harrison Smith S ND/Mike Adams OT Ohio St.
#68= A.Dennard CB/Weeden/Osweiler/R.Turbin/N.Toon/T.Johnson CB Montana Who knows where these guys will fall? Things always change on draft day.
Interesting that you mentioned Turbin. I recorded the Combine and little by little have been trying to watch it. Yesterday I was watching the day the RB's took part, and noticed Turbin. He's got massive biceps, and you can tell he's not afraid of the weight room. I'd like to see the Browns take him just to have a basher to help wear down defenses. Only if all that muscle translated to the football field of course. Looks like a big powerful back any team could use, and I'm guessing could be had in the mid rounds. Even if the team drafts Richardson, I'd still like to see another back drafted later to challenge Hardesty and Jackson.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:22 AM    (permalink
OhioJB
Rookie

Just looked at where Turbin is ranked, and some sites have him 7th or 8th at the RB position. One site lists him as a 3rd rounder. So not the mid round prospect I thought he was, as he's rated a little bit higher.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:16 AM    (permalink
mdmgrand
Rookie

Turbin has been on the rise since the combine. I'm just worried because Massie has also been on the rise and may go in the late first.

When I wrote my giant write up about the Browns taking Claiborne and then having the rest of the pieces fall into place, I forgot that (in addition to Haden) they still do have an old, but somewhat effective Sheldon Brown and just gave Patterson a three year deal. They also used Buster Skrine more and more as the season progressed. So honestly I believe I was wrong, and will have to redo a few parts of the Mock. I'll post the update in about an hour.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:18 PM    (permalink
mdmgrand
Rookie

Sorry for posting such long winded mock drafts. But I realized Claiborne to the Browns is really not an option, so I had to rewrite the draft, and the dominoes that fell by changing that first pick. So enjoy. I'm back on the Richardson Bandwagon!

Round 1, Pick 4) Trent Richardson RB, Alabama
- After I previously had Claiborne in this spot, I realized that the Browns already have three cornerbacks who can get the job done in Haden, Brown and Patterson. So with the fourth pick I believe the Browns will give a boost to three areas: rushing attack, fan base, and ticket sales. Richardson compares favorably to Jonathan Stewart (who I believe could be a top three back) as a rusher but without Stewart's injury bug. Great Pick for need and talent.
Need Grade - A, Talent Grade - A

- I believe Hill would be a tremendous addition to the Browns at the Pick 22. He is a world class athlete (Long Jumped nearly 26 ft in high school, which would have placed him 9th at the Beijing Olympics) with 4.36 speed at 6-4. He may take a year to develop into a steady receiver, but his big-play ability will we used to take the top off the defense, as well as, his skills as an experienced and strong blocker.

- Massie will jump in a become the starter at RT and stay there for years to come. I approve of the Browns waiting until Round Two before they pick a right tackle. Even though Massie will probably never become a Pro Bowl tackle, he grades out to become a solid starter, and a clear upgrade to the rushing attack on the right side.

Round 3, Pick 67) Mychal Kendricks ILB/OLB, Cal
- At this point, depending on who falls, you could argue Kendricks will be the BPA or possibly taken already. I believe he will be there at the 67th pick. He has experience at every linebacker position and production to follow. I have heard that he is slipping because of interviews and the wonderlic due to his inability to analyze and pick up adjustments, but that's why I believe he will fit as an roaming, athletic WLB rather than an ILB.

Round 4, Pick 100) Omar Bolden CB, ASU
- Without grabbing a cornerback in the earlier rounds, the Browns pick up Omar Bolden in the fourth. In his first year he would probably be used sporadically in dime formations. He falls a bit due to his Injury that caused him to miss his senior season. Having him sit a year while Brown is still used at corner, could be the best situation for Bolden
Need Grade - C-, Talent Grade - C+

Round 4, Pick 118) Russell Wilson QB, Wisconsin
- I don't know what it is about Wilson, but I am very high on his ability to succeed in the NFL in spite of his height. Phenomenal arm strength and talent. In the Wisconsin Pro Ready offense, he posted a 33 - 4 TD to INT ratio. He also played behind a very Tall and Big offensive line, similar in size to that of NFL players. Holmgren will also see his athleticism and think back to when he selected Seneca Wallace for the Seahawks (who did not have the arm Wilson has). Wilson could challenge for the starting job if McCoy falters early.

- Reynolds is a solid player who has 52 starts under his belt. A little older at age 25, but that allowed him to fill out his frame and spend a lot of time studying and learning. He is a strong, run blocking tackle, that I believe could be moved around the offensive line. He adds depth and could possibly play at RT or RG.

Round 5, Pick 160) Donte Paige-Moss DE, UNC
- Paige-Moss is an athletic defensive end who has had an up and down career at UNC. Mid-round flyer on a guy with talent, but may not put it all together. In the Browns' ongoing transition to a 4-3, I'd get another athletic end to team with Rucker, Sheard and Bernard.
Need Grade - C-, Talent Grade - C

- The last time the Browns picked, arguably reached for, a safety from Oregon, it worked out very well with T.J. Ward. As an Oregon fan, I can say that I would be happy to bring Pleasant onboard. Even though Ward was more well rounded and consistent, Pleasant was always around the ball. Playing as a Rover, and he used to be a full-time LB, Pleasant would be specifically used as a SS, and he has the athleticism and know how to pull of this transition. I see his future in the NFL as a standout special teams ace.
Need Grade - D, Talent Grade - D+, Chance of Making Final Roster - 65%

Round 6, Pick 205) Akiem Hicks DT, Regina (CA)
- A little unknown hailing from University of Regina in Canada, Hicks has elite size and ability to stick with an NFL team. At 6-4, 325, Hicks is huge and he has athleticism. After reading reports he is a strictly developmental player, who will need a couple years of seasoning.
Need Grade - C, Talent Grade - C-, Chance of Making Final Roster - 65%

Round 7, Pick 211) Caleb McSurdy ILB, Montana
- A linebacker, who some teams worked out at a fullback, would add versatility to the defense as well as special teams. He could serve as depth along the entire linebacking crew and possibly be made into an emergency fullback, so that the Browns would only have to commit one full-time fullback roster spot to Marecic.
Need Grade - D-, Talent Grade - D-, Chance of Making Final Roster - 50%

- Brown has had a weird college career; one in which many question his commitment to football. People want to think of him as an UDFA, but in my opinion why not draft him late with a comp pick and at least own the rights. We see this every year with running backs with red flags (personal, athletic). The scouts on NFL teams seem to over think the position and simply wait until UDFA stage (Blount TB, Foster HOU). Take a chance on a talented guy, if you must stash him on the practice squad.

- Not much to say here, take an experienced guy with physical limitations and see what happens. I actually believe he will make the final roster or practice squad due to his experience and his decent production.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:09 PM    (permalink
OhioJB
Rookie

Don't worry about being long-winded, mgmgrand. When you are posting a mock for a team that has 13 picks it's hard not to be. You did a real nice job on it, although I have to admit not knowing alot about most of the players after the 2nd round, only because I usually enjoy watching pro ball more than college ball. For some reason the past two years I've hardly watched any college ball, so have had to rely on highlights, the Combine, and pro days to form some sort of an opinion.

The only player I cringe at a little bit is Russell Wilson. He is a good QB, I just worry about the lack of height. But we'll see. If they select him it'll be interesting to see how he pans out.

Draft's almost here...one of my favorite events of the year!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:42 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Sorry for posting such long winded mock drafts. But I realized Claiborne to the Browns is really not an option, so I had to rewrite the draft, and the dominoes that fell by changing that first pick. So enjoy. I'm back on the Richardson Bandwagon!

- After I previously had Claiborne in this spot, I realized that the Browns already have three cornerbacks who can get the job done in Haden, Brown and Patterson. So with the fourth pick I believe the Browns will give a boost to three areas: rushing attack, fan base, and ticket sales. Richardson compares favorably to Jonathan Stewart (who I believe could be a top three back) as a rusher but without Stewart's injury bug. Great Pick for need and talent.
Need Grade - A, Talent Grade - A

- I believe Hill would be a tremendous addition to the Browns at the Pick 22. He is a world class athlete (Long Jumped nearly 26 ft in high school, which would have placed him 9th at the Beijing Olympics) with 4.36 speed at 6-4. He may take a year to develop into a steady receiver, but his big-play ability will we used to take the top off the defense, as well as, his skills as an experienced and strong blocker.

- Massie will jump in a become the starter at RT and stay there for years to come. I approve of the Browns waiting until Round Two before they pick a right tackle. Even though Massie will probably never become a Pro Bowl tackle, he grades out to become a solid starter, and a clear upgrade to the rushing attack on the right side.

Round 3, Pick 67) Mychal Kendricks ILB/OLB, Cal
- At this point, depending on who falls, you could argue Kendricks will be the BPA or possibly taken already. I believe he will be there at the 67th pick. He has experience at every linebacker position and production to follow. I have heard that he is slipping because of interviews and the wonderlic due to his inability to analyze and pick up adjustments, but that's why I believe he will fit as an roaming, athletic WLB rather than an ILB.

Round 4, Pick 100) Omar Bolden CB, ASU
- Without grabbing a cornerback in the earlier rounds, the Browns pick up Omar Bolden in the fourth. In his first year he would probably be used sporadically in dime formations. He falls a bit due to his Injury that caused him to miss his senior season. Having him sit a year while Brown is still used at corner, could be the best situation for Bolden
Need Grade - C-, Talent Grade - C+

- I don't know what it is about Wilson, but I am very high on his ability to succeed in the NFL in spite of his height. Phenomenal arm strength and talent. In the Wisconsin Pro Ready offense, he posted a 33 - 4 TD to INT ratio. He also played behind a very Tall and Big offensive line, similar in size to that of NFL players. Holmgren will also see his athleticism and think back to when he selected Seneca Wallace for the Seahawks (who did not have the arm Wilson has). Wilson could challenge for the starting job if McCoy falters early.

Round 5, Pick 160) Donte Paige-Moss DE, UNC
- Paige-Moss is an athletic defensive end who has had an up and down career at UNC. Mid-round flyer on a guy with talent, but may not put it all together. In the Browns' ongoing transition to a 4-3, I'd get another athletic end to team with Rucker, Sheard and Bernard.
Need Grade - C-, Talent Grade - C

- The last time the Browns picked, arguably reached for, a safety from Oregon, it worked out very well with T.J. Ward. As an Oregon fan, I can say that I would be happy to bring Pleasant onboard. Even though Ward was more well rounded and consistent, Pleasant was always around the ball. Playing as a Rover, and he used to be a full-time LB, Pleasant would be specifically used as a SS, and he has the athleticism and know how to pull of this transition. I see his future in the NFL as a standout special teams ace.
Need Grade - D, Talent Grade - D+, Chance of Making Final Roster - 65%

Round 6, Pick 205) Akiem Hicks DT, Regina (CA)
- A little unknown hailing from University of Regina in Canada, Hicks has elite size and ability to stick with an NFL team. At 6-4, 325, Hicks is huge and he has athleticism. After reading reports he is a strictly developmental player, who will need a couple years of seasoning.
Need Grade - C, Talent Grade - C-, Chance of Making Final Roster - 65%

Round 7, Pick 211) Caleb McSurdy ILB, Montana
- A linebacker, who some teams worked out at a fullback, would add versatility to the defense as well as special teams. He could serve as depth along the entire linebacking crew and possibly be made into an emergency fullback, so that the Browns would only have to commit one full-time fullback roster spot to Marecic.
Need Grade - D-, Talent Grade - D-, Chance of Making Final Roster - 50%

I love the first two guys but it's because I prefer a smash mouth, run first type offense. For Shurmur's pass first offense I don't think it's the right fit. I won't get into it in depth right now, but there's a lot going against Trent being the guy imo. (in short: pass league-history of top ten backs-our pass first offense, etc...) Also I think Massie is going to end up in the first (prob our #22.). As is Kendricks.

Boldin is off the radar. I've got him as a 6-7 FA type but I didn't see a lot of him when he was healthy.

R.Wilson? I like him but Seneca 2.O is probably not where they ought to go.

Reynolds is a solid 5th round type but Paige Moss will be lucky to get drafted.

As for the rest, I don't think we keep all our picks. With so many it allows us to move around and key on the guys we covet. Moving up in the 2nd or 3rd is a probability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:28 AM    (permalink
mdmgrand
Rookie

I fully expect to hear the Cleveland's name many times throughout the draft in regards to trade.

There are just so many possibilities....

In regards to Wilson, as a prospect he is only similar to Wallace in height and speed. Wilson has much better arm strength, accuracy, and touch. So Seneca 2.0 he is not, he's just a guy with an enormous amount of talent but unfortunately still is 5-11.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:04 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree, we will make a lot of trades - though I don't really expect many until the middle rounds....that is what the Eagles always did when Tom Heckert was their GM - they made a lot of draft day trades and they always had a ton of draft picks at their disposal.

A lot of talk about us being interested in Tannehill and Weeden - but I don't expect us to take a QB this year until the mid-late rounds to be our #3 developmental QB. If they don't take a starting QB early (which they probably won't) then that means Colt is the starter and probable longterm future at backup QB, with Seneca being the backup for this season and the short term future. They missed out on Luck and Griffin, they should and probably will wait next year for more options at QB that are better. We need to use those premium picks to upgrade our offensive talent, not roll the dice on a QB who will more than likely either bust or be average.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow seems like you guys are high on Hill @ 22. I'm hoping he gets through CLE and Texas @ 26..looked like a lock a few weeks ago, now not so much. So you guys mostly agree that Hill is the #3 receiver or are you assuming Wright is already gone?
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:27 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Hill will be our #22 pick and I really like it but at #4 I just don't know which direction they will go, I haven't a clue. I think at 37, they can get a very decent RB so why take Richardson at #4 even if he is a huge talent. I think Blackmon is a really strong possibility with Wilson or Miller at 37 and then #22 becomes the huge question mark.
I'm hoping Tannehill isn't the pick because I just not sure, he won't be a complete bust.

Possibilities:

1) Richardson
22) Hill
37) Massie RT

Would certainly give our offense some real weapons.

OR
4) Blackmon
22) Adams RT
37) Wilson or Miller

or
4) Tannehill
22) Hill
37) Wilson or Miller or Massie with a RB a bit later.

And finally:
4) Richardson
22) Hill
37) Weedon

I don't like the prospect for finding a quality QB next draft, with all the offensive talent we've added 6 or 7 wins isn't out of the equation and the cost for drafting a franchise QB could be really prohibitive with even more competition for the necessary pick.

Last edited by Iamcanadian : 04-14-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Iamcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:12 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

I think it's becoming clear that #4 will be Richardson if they don't trade down, with a slight but unlikely chance that they take Tannehill. I think Blackmon is out, he is more likely to slip to #7 or later than go #4 it seems. he isn't an elite WR prospect.

#22 they go Kendall Wright if he's there, but I don't think he will be. I think they might reach for Hill, but more likely take BPA which could be a tackle (Martin, Reiff, Glenn, or Adams). They could possibly get Mike Adams or Bobby Massie in the 2nd round too though. If they go RT at 22, they could go Reuben Randle, Bobby Quick, or even Hill (no one is sure where he will go b/c he is such a project).

I wouldn't rule out a surprise defensive player taken at 22 or 37 either. They really like Ohio native Whitney Mercilus, and they might take a CB too if Gilmore slips. It's really hard to predict what teams do in the 20s and 30s compared to the top 15 picks. No one thought we'd take Phil Taylor last year, even after we traded down. Didn't really seem like a player that fit our needs, but we took him and he fit our defense well.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:30 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

...the thing is, with so many needs we can afford to just take the overall best player available and it will improve our team the most......so while it would be nice to draft a RB, WR, and OT with our first three picks, I have my doubts that it will happen and that a DE, CB, S, or LB might sneak their way into the mix. This is probably a good idea b/c it increases the chances that our picks are great players and not reaches who fill needs that are just solid.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:50 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Cleveland Browns need TALENT at nearly every position on the field and really cannot go wrong in the 2012 NFL Draft if they simply pick a good mix of players with game changing potential at skill positions and steady, hard working players at all other positions. Ah, if it was only this simple. Here is my entire mock, and I realize trades will happen, but I sat and contemplated multiple scenarios with Pick 4 and Pick 22, which alter the entire draft for the Browns.

Round 1, Pick 4) Morris Claiborne CB, LSU
- The thought behind this first pick has to be BPA, mixing the value of positions involved as well. Claiborne and Haden would be an amazing duo in the secondary, and in a passing league, you cannot have enough talented CB's, and they do not come very often. Great Pick, partly a Luxury, but we must add elite talent to a position that cannot be filled later.
Need Grade - C, Talent Grade - A

Quote:
I think we have to go offense here. I don't think there is any choice so if we don't take Tannehill or Richardson, then Blackmon becomes the most likely pick. It will all come down to whether they want to run the ball(Richardson) or throw the ball(Blackmon). I'm hoping they don't reach on Tannehill but Lerner may insist on a QB.
- I believe Hill would be a tremendous addition to the Browns at the Pick 22. He is a world class athlete (Long Jumped nearly 26 ft in high school, which would have placed him 9th at the Beijing Olympics) with 4.36 speed at 6-4. He may take a year to develop into a steady receiver, but his big-play ability will we used, as well as his skills as a blocker.

Quote:
Love this pick and think it has a strong possibility of happening if we pass on Blackmon at #4. If we take Blackmon at #4 then Martin or Wilson may get picked in this spot.
- Massie will jump in a become the starter at RT and stay there for years to come. I approve of the Browns waiting until Round Two before they pick a right tackle. Even though Massie will probably never become a Pro Bowl tackle, he grades out to become a solid starter.

Quote:
Love this pick and there is a strong possibility of it taking place.
Round 3, Pick 67) LaMichael James RB, Oregon
- James will be used as a utility back and a possible punt returner. He would instantly add speed and flashy play to the backfield. He fills the need for a big play back, complimenting Hardesty's size and power. Running backs have a small shelf life and can be had in later rounds; premium picks just should not be used on them. Even though Richardson would be a flashy pick in the Top Five, I believe the Browns should stand pat and wait until Round Three to obtain a back. James may never be a full time back, due to his size and frame, but 12 carries and 3 receptions a game would allow him to be productive and stay healthy.
Need Grade - A, Talent Grade - B+

Quote:
Mark me down as a James lover so I wouldn't complain about this choice. The only scary thing is how often he fumbles.
Round 4, Pick 100) Russell Wilson QB, Wisconsin
- I don't know what it is about Wilson, but I am very high on his ability to succeed in the NFL in spite of his height. Phenomenal arm strength and talent. In the Wisconsin Pro Ready offense, he posted a 33 - 4, TD to INT ratio. He also played behind a very Tall and Big offensive line, similar in size to that of NFL players. Holmgren will also see his athleticism and think back to when he selected Seneca Wallace for the Seahawks (who did/does not have the arm Wilson has). Wilson could challenge for the starting job if McCoy falters early.

Quote:
Worth the risk but I'm not a lover of his skill set.
Round 4, Pick 118) Marcus Forston DT, Miami
- Looking throughout the balance between need and talent here, there just seems to be no player in a need column that would be a quality pick at this spot. Forston has durability concerns, but he has a great first step, and elite athleticism for the DT spot. He would be a situational player for the Browns, playing primarily on passing downs.
Need Grade - D+, Talent Grade - C+

Quote:
Some upside and he probably goes around here so it is a decent pick.

Quote:
Another reasonable pick and certainly a possibility.
Round 5, Pick 160) Vontaze Burfict ILB, Arizona State
- Now Burfict may not have a great track record, great speed, and arguably maturity, but this guy has shown flashes of being a great linebacker. Using a fifth round pick on a guy with equal potential as being a starter in three years, or out of the league in three years sounds like a deal to me. Huge hitter with a mean streak. He would add physicality to the Browns defense, much like division rivals Pittsburgh and Baltimore use to their advantage. I am all for taking a chance on this kid.
Need Grade - D, Talent Grade - B

Quote:
No way I would ever touch this guy in any draft. He won't even make a roster in the NFL.
- The last time the Browns picked a safety from Oregon, it worked out very well with T.J. Ward. As an Oregon fan, I can say that I would be happy to bring Pleasant along board. Even though Ward was more well rounded and consistent, Pleasant was always around the ball. Playing as a Rover, and he used to be a full-time LB, Pleasant would be specifically used as a SS, and he has the athleticism and know how to pull of this transition.
Need Grade - D, Talent Grade - C-, Chance of Making Final Roster - 65%

Round 6, Pick 205) Kourtnei Brown DE, Clemson
- Even though, phonetically speaking, he shares the same name as the Injury-Related Bust in Browns' History, Brown has a chance to make the team as a developmental DE. At 6-5, 255 and with 4.7 speed, Brown could stick as the Browns continue to reshape into a 4-3 team.
Need Grade - C, Talent Grade - D, Chance of Making Final Roster - 50%

Round 7, Pick 211) Micah Pellerin CB, Hampton
- Decent Speed, and Good Size. There is not much more you look for in a Late Round Flyer type pick. These guys from smaller schools may not have the necessary tape on them, and with size and speed, why not?
Need Grade - D, Talent Grade - D-, Chance of Making Final Roster - 45%

Outside of Maze, these last picks are anybody's guess. I kind of like Maze and think he could be a very decent 2nd stringer and as a punt and KO returner.

Last edited by Iamcanadian : 04-15-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Iamcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:46 AM    (permalink
mdmgrand
Rookie

This is my perfect scenario which has a 1% chance of happening. Also this is the ONLY scenario in which I want the Browns to pass on Richardson

Free Agency

1) Sign Wallace Gilberry DE to a 2-Year Deal
- This move probably would not make a huge splash, but Gilberry never fit into Kansas City's Scheme, and giving him a chance on the Browns defensive end rotation would improve run support.

2) Sign Barry Richardson OT to a 1-Year Deal
- Once again a player from Kansas City. Richardson can provide depth at the tackle position, and he started every game for the past two seasons with Kansas City. I'm not saying he will solve the offensive line problem, but he would provide young, and experienced depth.

3) Add an athletic OLB

Trade

1) If it is true that Carolina is taking offers for Jonathan Stewart since it's his last year of his contract and they already committed to Tolbert/Williams, the Browns must call. I'm going to say that a 3rd round choice should do it (Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if a 4th rounder would do it either since he's a running back, but I'll stick with the 3rd)

Cleveland sends the Round 3, Pick 67 to Carolina in exchange for Jonathan Stewart

Draft (First Four Rounds)

Round 1, Pick 4 - Justin Blackmon WR, Oklahoma State
Round 1, Pick 22 - Mark Barron FS/SS, Alabama
Round 2, Pick 37 - Bobby Massie OT, Ole Miss
Round 4, Pick 100 - Keenan Robinson OLB, Texas
Round 4, Pick 118 - Russell Wilson QB, Wisconsin

Analysis
- The skill positions would be much improved with an NFL ready Blackmon, Little and Stewart.
- Getting Barron at pick 22 would fill the void at free safety and help Cleveland solidify itself as a perennial top five pass defense, he would also improve run defense.
- Massie would step in and start at right tackle.
- Keenan Robinson would provide depth with starting potential down the road.
- Russell Wilson would be a developmental QB, who knows the WCO, and has a great arm.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
This is my perfect scenario which has a 1% chance of happening. Also this is the ONLY scenario in which I want the Browns to pass on Richardson

Free Agency

1) Sign Wallace Gilberry DE to a 2-Year Deal
- This move probably would not make a huge splash, but Gilberry never fit into Kansas City's Scheme, and giving him a chance on the Browns defensive end rotation would improve run support.

2) Sign Barry Richardson OT to a 1-Year Deal
- Once again a player from Kansas City. Richardson can provide depth at the tackle position, and he started every game for the past two seasons with Kansas City. I'm not saying he will solve the offensive line problem, but he would provide young, and experienced depth.

3) Add an athletic OLB

Trade

1) If it is true that Carolina is taking offers for Jonathan Stewart since it's his last year of his contract and they already committed to Tolbert/Williams, the Browns must call. I'm going to say that a 3rd round choice should do it (Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if a 4th rounder would do it either since he's a running back, but I'll stick with the 3rd)

Cleveland sends the Round 3, Pick 67 to Carolina in exchange for Jonathan Stewart

Draft (First Four Rounds)

Round 1, Pick 4 - Justin Blackmon WR, Oklahoma State
Round 1, Pick 22 - Mark Barron FS/SS, Alabama
Round 2, Pick 37 - Bobby Massie OT, Ole Miss
Round 4, Pick 100 - Keenan Robinson OLB, Texas
Round 4, Pick 118 - Russell Wilson QB, Wisconsin

Analysis
- The skill positions would be much improved with an NFL ready Blackmon, Little and Stewart.
- Getting Barron at pick 22 would fill the void at free safety and help Cleveland solidify itself as a perennial top five pass defense, he would also improve run defense.
- Massie would step in and start at right tackle.
- Keenan Robinson would provide depth with starting potential down the road.
- Russell Wilson would be a developmental QB, who knows the WCO, and has a great arm.
There is no way Barron ever gets to us at #22.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:19 PM    (permalink
mdmgrand
Rookie

This is Mock Three out of Four.... I will complete my last and final mock next week, the day before the draft... As a fan I would like to see the Browns use their first two picks on RB/WR, but if Richardson is the pick at 4, I just do not trust the receivers left at 22... Here is Mock 3.0

- Trent Richardson brings toughness, potential, personality and ticket sales to the Browns. Slam Dunk Pick even if many question taking a running this high.
Grade: A+

Round 1, Pick 22) Whitney Mercilus DE, Illinois
- In a surprise here the Browns take a pass rusher to boost their defensive line. The additions of Rucker and Parker are not going to deter the Browns from taking a player who has potential to become a dynamic pass rusher opposite of the all-around Sheard.
Grade: B+
Grade: A-
Round 3, Pick 67) Brian Quick WR, Appalachian State
- Quick is a very large target (6-4, 220), with 4.5 speed. He is raw coming from Appalachian State, but with a receiver with his physical traits, he could put it all together.
Grade: B

Round 4, Pick 100) Josh Kaddu OLB, Oregon
- Kaddu can add playmaking ability to a linebacking core that needs it. He is a work in progress but the Browns can afford to have him sit behind Fujita and Gocong for a year.
Grade: B-

- I am very high on Wilson. He has literally everything you want in a QB except height. I believe he will be able to overcome this and become a quality starter in this league.
Grade: A-

Round 5, Pick 139) Josh Norman CB, Coastal Carolina
- The only position the Browns can afford to take a flyer on. Norman is athletic and has good size for the position. Boom/Bust Pick
Grade: C+

Round 5, Pick 160) Jarius Wright WR, Arkansas
- The Browns use this pick on a burner from Arkansas with experience in the slot.
Grade: C

- Eddie Pleasant would provide good value at this location as a backup safety and special teams player. He is a big hitter and is always around the ball.
Grade: C+

Round 6, Pick 205) Myles Wade DT, Portland State
- A risky pick here, but talent is there. 6-1, 310 and completed 42 reps with a 35 inch vertical. He deserves as chance, as he bounced around colleges. I see him sticking in the NFL.
Grade - C

Round 7, Pick 211) Donte Paige-Moss DE, North Carolina
- A risky pick on a player who probably will not make the team. He has talent, but off the field issues are ridiculous.
Grade: C

- Brown is an enigma; no one knows what to make of him. I say why not spend a late round pick to at least own his rights. At his pro day, he ran a sub 4.4 forty at 223 lbs. Give this guy a try in camp.
Grade: D

Round 7, Pick 247) Derek Dennis OG, Temple
- Dennis is not likely to make the team. He has experience at many positions on the line, and could provide depth if he impresses.
Grade: D