Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Will Aaron Rodgers compile the best season of all-time for a QB?
Yes 26 39.39%
No 40 60.61%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2011, 06:34 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I clearly remember a small amount of bust talk when Favre was still the starter. Rodgers had extremely limited time and he didn't look that great when he was in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:51 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsa230 View Post
AR doesn't have "it", he is "it".
LOL!!

Sometimes hype is just the truth.

I don't like Aaron Rodgers because he's too good. Respect him, but don't like him. Which doesn't mean I hate him.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:43 AM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
I clearly remember a small amount of bust talk when Favre was still the starter. Rodgers had extremely limited time and he didn't look that great when he was in.
Some people were concerned because he hadn't impressed in the garbage time he'd gotten, and he suffered a season ending injury after playing less than a half of football against the Patriots in 2006. If I remember correctly, he broke his foot on a run, and stayed in to finish the game. Afterwards he was placed on IR. For a fan base accustomed to Favre, this was rather startling.

He did, however, look very good when he came in against a highly regarded Dallas team in 2007. Favre left injured before the half after playing terribly. Rodgers came off the bench and made the game competitive. Personally, I had always felt as if Rodgers could start in the NFL, but this was the point that I was confident he would be good.

EDIT: I think the Brian Brohm pick also raised some concern for people, even though he was drafted with the intent to be a backup. The Brohm selection was the only Ted Thompson move that I ever absolutely hated. You don't take a backup QB in the second round.

Sig thanks to mockalicious

Last edited by jackalope : 11-11-2011 at 12:47 AM.
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:05 AM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
Some people were concerned because he hadn't impressed in the garbage time he'd gotten, and he suffered a season ending injury after playing less than a half of football against the Patriots in 2006. If I remember correctly, he broke his foot on a run, and stayed in to finish the game. Afterwards he was placed on IR. For a fan base accustomed to Favre, this was rather startling.
think there were also rumors of him not looking too good in practice either.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just realized that A-Rog's TD% per pass attempted is 9.1. That's pretty insane. If there's a stat to be used in arguing for the OP's suggestion, it could be that. I believe the next highest is Matt Stafford at 6.4% or something. That, and his 10+ yards per attempt. That's a lot of big plays going for touchdowns.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:45 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
I'm pretty sure if it was just a minority he would not have said a word, regardless if they're vocal or not.

This was a large portion of your fan base. Don't deny it. Everyone was stuck on favre mania

EDIT: if anyone wants a good laugh, read the comments under the article: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...?urn=nfl-91572

I'm not denying it. In any case, I don't remember his players not backing him up. Anything on that? Everything I remember was how they backed him up saying he was the QB, etc, etc

Fans are stupid. What he went through was ridiculous, but it's not uncommon and every fan base is full of crap like that. What sucks is that I bet a majority of them are back in the bandwagon after Favre sucked ass last year. Of course, being a fan of a team that went from one great QB to another is considered spoiled...I'm definitely not taking any of this for granted. It's fun as hell. I dreaded the day that Favre would retire, as I figured the Pack would spend who knows how long to find a competent QB replacement. Who would have thought they'd go from one first ballot HOFer to a guy who might end up being BETTER than him.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:52 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some stuff from today.
Do former players and coaches know anymore than we do?
They better.

Cris Carter of ESPN:
"You need to keep it in perspective. There are number of guys whose level we can talk about the level he is playing to. Let’s go to (Dan) Marino and (Joe) Montana. They have played to this level. (Tom) Brady and (Brett) Favre have played to this level, more recently Brady. Joe Montana to me was the greatest quarterback in my era, because of what he could do for an offense. But Joe couldn’t throw the ball to all parts of the field. Brady, Marino and Favre they throw the ball, but the opposition touches the football. They throw the ball into coverage because they believe in their arm strength. But the opposition touches the ball more. The thing about Aaron Rodgers, he doesn’t throw interceptions. He doesn’t even throw balls the DBs touch. So there are fewer mistakes he is going to be able to make. And he can throw to every part of the football field. And with the nuances of today’s NFL game, with what the quarterback can do, I believe that’s what separates him from all these others players."

Tom Jackson of ESPN:
"He is getting hit – 11 sacks over the course of the last three games – but he has an almost 80% completion percentage. What you have is a quarterback who is at his best and who does not care about getting hit. You don’t find that in any quarterback in the National Football League."

Mike Ditka of ESPN:
"We talk about Green Bay quarterbacks – Bart Starr, three NFL championships two Super Bowls. This guy here, I don’t know. I think he has good receivers, and he makes them better because of where he puts the football. He puts the football where they are the only guys that can catch it. You don’t see that from a lot of quarterbacks.

Keyshawn Johnson of ESPN:
"He’s Peyton Manning, he’s Tom Brady, and he’s Michael Vick, all rolled up in one like a sushi roll. I think that’s who he is. Yes, he has good receivers. But he makes them even better. Receivers like to catch the football like it is a handoff. Whenver the quarterback can throw the football 50-plus yards down the field, and make it like a handoff, you can run with it. Receivers are like, that’s the guy I want to play with."

Terry Bradshaw of Fox:
"It’s only been a couple of years. We said Tom Brady was the best ever when he was 18-0. And the Giants took care of them in the Super Bowl. We have seen it with Peyton Manning when he had 48 touchdown passes. We get so caught up with the best ever. He’s have the best season of all this year. And I’m loving him watch him play. But I am not one of those guys to get caught up in the best ever thing."

Troy Aikman of Fox:
“I don’t know if I seen a quarterback playing this well as consistently as has he has ever,” Aikman said.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:37 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
he was so bad....he grew into the postion and just mastered it since then, but its not like the packers knew they had a monster sitting on their bench, he inherited a good team and just turned on beast mode.

he was what #4 of tedfords QBs and all of them fell flat on their faces, the packers did it right in bringing rodgers up cause if he was a day one starter like carr, harrington, and boller....there was reason to think bust, theres a reason he fell in the draft (even though he was better than alex smith)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Cris Carter of ESPN:
"You need to keep it in perspective. There are number of guys whose level we can talk about the level he is playing to. Letís go to (Dan) Marino and (Joe) Montana. They have played to this level. (Tom) Brady and (Brett) Favre have played to this level, more recently Brady. Joe Montana to me was the greatest quarterback in my era, because of what he could do for an offense. But Joe couldnít throw the ball to all parts of the field. Brady, Marino and Favre they throw the ball, but the opposition touches the football. They throw the ball into coverage because they believe in their arm strength. But the opposition touches the ball more. The thing about Aaron Rodgers, he doesnít throw interceptions. He doesnít even throw balls the DBs touch. So there are fewer mistakes he is going to be able to make. And he can throw to every part of the football field. And with the nuances of todayís NFL game, with what the quarterback can do, I believe thatís what separates him from all these others players."
Lol @ Favre playing to that level, this from the guy who said Calvin Johnson Jr. wasn't a top 5 WR or something like that IIRC.

Quote:
Tom Jackson of ESPN:
"He is getting hit Ė 11 sacks over the course of the last three games Ė but he has an almost 80% completion percentage. What you have is a quarterback who is at his best and who does not care about getting hit. You donít find that in any quarterback in the National Football League."
Good point here, but doesn't necessarily quantify him as the GOAT by any stretch

Quote:
Mike Ditka of ESPN:
"We talk about Green Bay quarterbacks Ė Bart Starr, three NFL championships two Super Bowls. This guy here, I donít know. I think he has good receivers, and he makes them better because of where he puts the football. He puts the football where they are the only guys that can catch it. You donít see that from a lot of quarterbacks.
Actually I'd venture to say this about a lot of QB's (admittedly Rodgers throws one of the best back shoulder fades I've seen in recent memory). We have heard commentators say this about guys like Brady, Brees, Peyton... the list goes on, just some talking head jargon.

Quote:
Keyshawn Johnson of ESPN:
"Heís Peyton Manning, heís Tom Brady, and heís Michael Vick, all rolled up in one like a sushi roll. I think thatís who he is. Yes, he has good receivers. But he makes them even better. Receivers like to catch the football like it is a handoff. Whenver the quarterback can throw the football 50-plus yards down the field, and make it like a handoff, you can run with it. Receivers are like, thatís the guy I want to play with."
I generally taking nothing that this clown says seriously. Not one lick of football knowledge used in this statement to quantify his point.

Quote:
Terry Bradshaw of Fox:
"Itís only been a couple of years. We said Tom Brady was the best ever when he was 18-0. And the Giants took care of them in the Super Bowl. We have seen it with Peyton Manning when he had 48 touchdown passes. We get so caught up with the best ever. Heís have the best season of all this year. And Iím loving him watch him play. But I am not one of those guys to get caught up in the best ever thing."
My god... Bradshaw is making sense.

Quote:
Troy Aikman of Fox:
ďI donít know if I seen a quarterback playing this well as consistently as has he has ever,Ē Aikman said.
Really? He's played to this level consistently? Last year Tom Brady was the first ever CONSENSUS MVP of the league, Rodgers wasn't even in the conversation at the time (some people thought Vick) but at the end of the day EVERYONE VOTED Brady, NOT ONE Aaron Rodgers vote. So consistency is last years playoffs and a little over half a season

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:27 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweater-vest_mafia View Post
Lol @ Favre playing to that level, this from the guy who said Calvin Johnson Jr. wasn't a top 5 WR or something like that IIRC.
The great Rodgers-Favre myth

Quote:
My guess is that many of those who want to say Rodgers is playing better than Favre never saw Favre play in his prime. Either that or they're just incapable of viewing this argument in an objective manner.

Having a gut feeling that Favre's numbers would stand up to Rodgers' at some point during his career, I went back and looked at the '95 and '96 seasons, when he was roughly the same age as Rodgers is now, and was in the midst of winning three straight MVP awards.

What I found was that during a 16-game stretch that started near the end of the '95 season and continued into '96, Favre threw for 49 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

That's right: 49 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

What I also found was that Favre's numbers were comparable if not better than Rodgers'.

The complete numbers were 353 completions in 517 attempts for 4,243 yards (68.3%), 49 touchdowns, seven interceptions, 32 sacks and a passer rating of 119.1. The Packers' record during that stretch was 14-2, including 2-1 in the playoffs.

Rodgers' numbers over his last 16 games are this: 356 completions in 503 attempts (70.8%) for 4,642 yards, 42 touchdowns, seven interceptions, 37 sacks and a passer rating of 121.5. The Packers are 15-1 in that stretch, including 4-0 in the post-season.

If you want to just look at the nine-game stretch Rodgers is in the midst of now, Favre's final three games in '95 and first six in '96 hold up also (28 TDs, 5 INTs).
Old 11-21-2011, 08:05 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmG6376 View Post
Yea I guess I wouldn't be surprised, I was originally going to write Lol@ Favre being the greatest of all time but then went to more directly quote Carter.

The general point I am trying to make here is that we have seen this from guys before. Though in a little less than a calendar year, we have seen Rodgers anointed as the greatest single season QB and in some cases greatest of all time

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 11-21-2011, 08:46 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just don't listen to or read anything Cris Carter says anymore.

"Brady, Marino and Favre they throw the ball, but the opposition touches the football. They throw the ball into coverage because they believe in their arm strength. But the opposition touches the ball more. The thing about Aaron Rodgers, he doesnít throw interceptions."

Does he not realise that statiscally Brady has the two best seasons TD/INT wise?

Last year Brady threw for 4 INTs the whole season! His career high for INTs is 14. Rodgers' career high is 13 so it's hardly miles of diference.

I realise that Rodgers is having an amzing year and he is the best QB in the game at the minute, but some of this hype is getting ridiculous.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:01 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yea I guess I wouldn't be surprised, I was originally going to write Lol@ Favre being the greatest of all time but then went to more directly quote Carter.

The general point I am trying to make here is that we have seen this from guys before. Though in a little less than a calendar year, we have seen Rodgers anointed as the greatest single season QB and in some cases greatest of all time
I've purposely tried stayed out of the GOAT debate. I think most of those discussions are pointless. There are just too many other factors, especially when trying to compare QBs of different eras. Everyone's answer to declaring Rodgers GOAT is "what about Brady in 2007". In 2007, when Brady was tearing it up it was "no one will ever be better than Montana statistics be damned".
Old 11-21-2011, 09:07 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Exactly

I just can't stand the talking heads and believe that what they say should NEVER be used as a way of backing up an argument.

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 11-21-2011, 09:10 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Exactly

I just can't stand the talking heads and believe that what they say should NEVER be used as a way of backing up an argument.
Considering I'm fairly positive several of the major ones can't even read, I'm going to support this statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:32 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Considering I'm fairly positive several of the major ones can't even read

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 11-21-2011, 10:10 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
he was so bad....he grew into the postion and just mastered it since then, but its not like the packers knew they had a monster sitting on their bench, he inherited a good team and just turned on beast mode.

he was what #4 of tedfords QBs and all of them fell flat on their faces, the packers did it right in bringing rodgers up cause if he was a day one starter like carr, harrington, and boller....there was reason to think bust, theres a reason he fell in the draft (even though he was better than alex smith)
He could have played in his third year, but he did sorta suck his first two seasons. A lot of that, I think, had to do with the complexity of McCarthy's offense. Favre was able to make a faster transition because he knew the WCO like the back of his hand, but also because he spent most of his last season in GB audibling to plays that he was comfortable with (I still think of that as Favre's best season, because he was so zen in the way he ran the offense).

Coming out of Cal, AR's strength was his ability to make pre- and post-snap reads, which I don't think you can really teach to a guy who's already in the NFL. Aside from that innate gift, he was a typical Tedford product. Mechanically, he needed to be broken down and rebuilt. He really couldn't have landed in a better situation than playing behind Favre for three years and being coached by McCarthy.

Last edited by WCH : 11-21-2011 at 10:15 AM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:17 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

Quote:

Disagree. He was untested because Favre never missed time. Maybe some know-it-all fans questioned him, but the coaches obviously never did. In his first game action he actually looked very good but got injured. After that the only question was whether he could stay healthy.

Game against Cowboys helped sell Pack on Rodgers

Quote:
Although the Cowboys didn't realize it at the time, they played a key role in the development of Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Still an untested backup, Rodgers replaced an injured Brett Favre against the Cowboys in November 2007. He completed 18-of-26 passes for 201 with a touchdown and ran for another 30 yards. By the start of 2008, the Favre era had ended in Green Bay and Rodgers was the new starting quarterback.

"Well, it gave everybody confidence," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said today at his morning press conference in Irving. "Number one, when you put a quarterback in a game for the first time, it's important to try to get him off to a good start, and the first thing you need to do as a playcaller is to put him in plays that he's very familiar with, but also give your football team a chance to win games.

"And that's exactly what I told him that night, that Thursday night. We're going to stay right with the plan, gave him some easy throws early, and just let him take off and play. It gave our offense a lot of confidence, because they knew we wouldn't miss a beat if Aaron had to play, and it really gave him a lot of confidence. It just really justified all the work that he had put in, it justified quarterback school, his development and so forth, and every quarterback needs that."
Old 11-21-2011, 12:56 PM    (permalink
mellojello
Veteran

mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I disagree with the notion that Arod "was so bad" before growing into the position. If you had followed Arod's college career, you were thinking that he looked like he was playing at Cal in that Cowboys game in November 2007. There was effectively no drop off from his college game and that was surprising. What he is evolving into today is special though. There is little doubt in my mind that he "stole" elements of Brett's game and made it his own, but Arod had all the tools to be successful in the pros.
mellojello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:59 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He threw an interception yesterday, he sucks.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:02 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellojello View Post
I disagree with the notion that Arod "was so bad" before growing into the position. If you had followed Arod's college career, you were thinking that he looked like he was playing at Cal in that Cowboys game in November 2007. There was effectively no drop off from his college game and that was surprising. What he is evolving into today is special though. There is little doubt in my mind that he "stole" elements of Brett's game and made it his own, but Arod had all the tools to be successful in the pros.
im not saying he didnt....however he looked very bad in what i saw of him in preseason, very limited regular season action if favre was banged up or it was a blowout...but i thought he looked extremely shaky, nervous, and was made out of glass....i remember him coming in for a few snaps and ending up on IR

rather than having 20/20 hindsight and saying he was a super beast, im saying i really didnt think he was going to be much for a while. i mean favre plays in 200+ games in a row and showed hes on of the best and toughest QBs of all time and rodgers comes in for 5 snaps and breaks his foot...just looked pretty unfortunate.

i called rodgers a master of the position prior to last year, i have a lot of posts in the rodgers vs rivers thread heavily in favor of rodgers, which before last years postseason was an "omg your crraazzzyyyyy" if you believe rodgers is better than rivers.

my entire point is when it came to raising a franchise QB...packers are one of few teams that got it right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:18 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
He threw an interception yesterday, he sucks.
Does Cris Carter know? Because Aaron Rodgers doesn't throw INTs. Must've been a mistake in the boxscore

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:02 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmG6376 View Post
Disagree. He was untested because Favre never missed time. Maybe some know-it-all fans questioned him, but the coaches obviously never did. In his first game action he actually looked very good but got injured. After that the only question was whether he could stay healthy.

Game against Cowboys helped sell Pack on Rodgers
I was at that game here in Dallas that 2007 showdown.
Both teams were 10-1 and it would be for homefield advantage in the NFC title game.
Farve, as usual when I went to games, sucked. He threw 2 ugly interceptions which led to 14 Dallas points, and dug us in a 27-10 hole.
Then he exited due to a bumped elbow.

Rodgers came in and was sensational, leading us back to within 4 or 7 late...... but the Cowboys ate up the last chunk of time, and either tacked on a FG or TD, or ran out the clock, something like that.

I remember hearing comments from the Cowboys defenders after the game saying they're just glad they didn't knock Farve out sooner because Rodgers was better.

We knew that night that he was going to be our guy, and many of us wish he could have played that NFCCG vs the Giants that Farve patently f****d up at the end.

But yes Farve was sensational back in the day during 3 straight MVP seasons.

Packer fans are spoiled in that they've had 2 all-world QBs for a span of 20 years where some teams.....
Old 05-22-2013, 10:57 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

OK, after reading the 1984 Marino stuff, it got me thinking: What was the best complete single season ever a QB had. In modern NFL at least.

Didn't want to start a new thread.

I rank the clear best 5 like this:

1999 Warner 109.2, 41 TD, 13 Int, 4,353 yards (13-3, won Super Bowl, Super Bowl MVP)
1984 Marino 108.9, 48 TD, 17 Int, 5,084 yards (14-2 Super Bowl loss to 49ers)
2007 Brady 117.2, 50 TD, 8 Int, 4,806 yards (16-0, Super Bowl loss)
2011 Rodgers 122.5, 45 TD, 6 Int, 4,643 yards -sat final game- (15-1, lost in NFCD)
2004 Manning 121.1, 49 TD, 10 Int, 4,557 yards (12-4, lost in AFCD)

I'm not biased.
And it's not all about QB-rating, although that's a clear and pretty accurate indicator of success.

The reason I put Warner #1 is he put that team on his back, from week one until winning the Super Bowl, with a SB record, and SB MVP.

Marino's regular season IMO was more impressive considering he broke the previous TD record BY 12! From 36 until that year, to his 48. Plus he had over 5,000 yards. And took his team to the Super Bowl. That could be ahead of Warner.

The other 3, more recent.... I put Brady ahead because they went undefeated until the Super Bowl, whereas both Rodgers and Manning lost in the conference semifinal. Rodgers should not have sat that week 17. Not because it cost him stat-padding (Matt Flynn had 6 TDs and 400+ yards that game), but because it made it so Rodgers went 3 weeks between games and got off his groove a bit.
Manning, in the playoffs, laid an egg in NE losing to Brady, with the Colts receivers getting mugged, assaulted, molested from start to finish.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:12 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rodgers is overrated. Flynn showed how much the system and the great WR talent help them out. 4th behind Brady Manning and Brees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote