Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:22 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We'll see how it ultimately turns out, but this seems like a pretty bad offseason for Bears fans.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:27 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Trestman? Head coach? I was concerned about him as an OC whne he interviewed for Oakland's opening. HC seems like a bad idea.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:27 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You twats hating on the McCoy hire can kiss the chargers ass! Coaching different qbs and being successful with it. Yay for good off season hires.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:08 AM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Bears did a great job. Say whatever you want about him, but this guy does knows how to coach offense and QB's. They have the perfect set up now with D staying in place and him helping the O
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:16 AM    (permalink
Azhais
Rookie

Azhais is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Azhais is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Azhais is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Azhais is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Azhais is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Azhais is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Azhais is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Azhais is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Azhais is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Azhais is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Azhais is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
I think the Bears did a great job. Say whatever you want about him, but this guy does knows how to coach offense and QB's. They have the perfect set up now with D staying in place and him helping the O
On the other hand, the Gophers decided that it was too risky hiring Marc for their head coaching job and went with Jerry Kill instead. Anyone that comes in second place behind Kill gives me a bad feeling.
Azhais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:33 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
Twitter is saying the Bears have hired Marc Trestman as their HC.
Ok. Now I regret firing Lovie. Trestman would have begged for a job as an OC, not that I'd have wanted him for that, either.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:35 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
Can anyone name a successful NFL QB developed by Trestman? Not a veteran he took over after they'd already been developed, but one that he grew into something good.

Can anyone name an NFL offense that he took over and made significantly better with his playcalling? Not one he was handed with successful personnel and system in place before he got there, but one that was his.

I want to know where his reputations as a QB guru and awesome offensive innovator come from.

He's the coaching version of Maurkice Pouncey. A long time ago, someone decided he was a QB guru and an offensive genius because...well, just because. The labels have stuck ever since and no one knows why.

It also bothers me that 95% of the people who are talking him up were 12 years old the last time he saw any NFL success. As someone old enough to have watched football through the 80s and 90s, I can tell you that the legendary deeds attributed to the almighty Marc Trestman are greatly overstated.

Last edited by Monomach : 01-16-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:51 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
We'll see how it ultimately turns out, but this seems like a pretty bad offseason for Bears fans.
seems like im the only one that is happy with the hire

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
seems like im the only one that is happy with the hire
I was pretty disappointed when the Packers hired McCarthy, with his crappy resume and BS claims of being a QB Guru. That turned out okay.

What do fans know?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:44 AM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm just ok with the McCoy hiring. I am impressed with Telesco, so I'll trust his judgement. McCoy was a guy many teams were chasing after, and the Chargers were able to close on him quickly. That sounds good. However, he seems sort of bland as a personality. His experience is just "ehh". So I'm in wait and see mode. It does feel good to steal someone away from Denver.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:44 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I was pretty disappointed when the Packers hired McCarthy, with his crappy resume and BS claims of being a QB Guru. That turned out okay.

What do fans know?
For every McCarthy though, there are a dozen Pat Shurmurs, Scott Linehans, Mike Mularkeys, Chan Gaileys, Josh McDanielses, Cam Camerons...those types of offensive coaches who bust hard as head coaches.

You could make that same argument against any of the other offensive coaches we interviewed, but at least they had been coaching in the NFL in the last decade.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:48 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have to say I really feel for Bears fans at this point. I'm glad I don't live in the Chicago suburbs anymore. I used to have to shovel my neighbor's driveway every time the Bears lost to the Packers. I feel I'd like I'd be doing a lot of shoveling in years to come.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:04 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
For every McCarthy though, there are a dozen Pat Shurmurs, Scott Linehans, Mike Mularkeys, Chan Gaileys, Josh McDanielses, Cam Camerons...those types of offensive coaches who bust hard as head coaches.

You could make that same argument against any of the other offensive coaches we interviewed, but at least they had been coaching in the NFL in the last decade.
Yeah, I was just trying to make you guys feel better. I feel like firing Lovie, losing Toub, and hiring Trestman is a bad chain of events. And Cutler is in a contract year? What's going to happen with that? In the absolute worst case scenario, it would be hilariously sad if Cutler is jettisoned for Tebow twice.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:21 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, I was just trying to make you guys feel better. I feel like firing Lovie, losing Toub, and hiring Trestman is a bad chain of events. And Cutler is in a contract year? What's going to happen with that? In the absolute worst case scenario, it would be hilariously sad if Cutler is jettisoned for Tebow twice.
That is sadly a big possibility. A few years of zoning out of football might do me some good though.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

In other news, Dan Patrick is reporting that Mike Smith would have been fired if the Falcons lost last weekend.

The only Tony Dungy-style firing. Turn around a rock bottom franchise only to be fired for not being successful enough.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:30 AM    (permalink
RufusMcDaniel
Mage Bros
Pro Bowler

RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great hire by the Bears.

It's the Tiger-Cats time to shine.
RufusMcDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aaron Kromer as Trestman's OC?

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Aaron Kromer as Trestman's OC?
No question mark needed, it's apparently already official. Sounds like he'll mostly be a glorified o-line coach with Trestman calling the plays.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:48 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nooooooooo. I hate the bears god damnit.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:48 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If this happens, I'm just going to say **** it and become a full time Jags fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:54 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You never know what this dude can do. Let's give him a chance.

It is clear though that the Bears GM is not afraid to be unconventional. I like it. I agree with Mike Lombardi when he says, if everyone is thinking the same way then nobody is thinking.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So Gus Bradley left Philly without a contract. Maybe he won't be the hire after all.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:39 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Tom Moore (who spend 2012 as a Titans offensive consultant) wants to get another OC gig.

And an OC gig opened up recently on a team with a certain Peyton guy at QB...
Old 01-16-2013, 09:58 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Rod Marinelli and the Bears defensive staff is expected to remain under Trestman.

QB coach Jeremy Bates is also expected to remain. Seems like Emery is really pushing to make something out of Cutler, which I can respect. Trestman and Bates both have experience with him, and Kromer is an o-line coach who can hopefully make protecting him easier.

Still sucks to lose Toub but I'm glad our defense will stay in tact and Bates is staying.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:07 AM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Rod Marinelli and the Bears defensive staff is expected to remain under Trestman.

QB coach Jeremy Bates is also expected to remain. Seems like Emery is really pushing to make something out of Cutler, which I can respect. Trestman and Bates both have experience with him, and Kromer is an o-line coach who can hopefully make protecting him easier.

Still sucks to lose Toub but I'm glad our defense will stay in tact and Bates is staying.
It seems that management definitely wants the defensive staff back, but it doesn't mean Marinelli, et al will want to stay. I hope they do, it would certainly keep some continuity in the locker room for a veteran team.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote