Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:39 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chip Kelly needs to convince Marcus Mariota to come out next year.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:44 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Chip Kelly needs to convince Marcus Mariota to come out next year.
I can see them going with a guy like Geno if he impresses at his workouts and is available at 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Darrell Bevell interviewing right now

will hold a press conference at 2:15

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:03 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like all seven openings will be going to offensive guys. Welcome to the new NFL.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:05 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Looks like all seven openings will be going to offensive guys. Welcome to the new NFL.
I'll quote Michael Lombardi again

"When everyone is thinking the same, no one is thinking"

More than half of these hires will wash out. Then someone will hire a Ray Horton or other defensive coach who has success and we'll wonder what took so long.

I hate when teams follow trends instead of trying to set them. The teams with the edge are the ones who move in the opposite direction of the league.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:28 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I normally agree with that mentality, but in this league you almost have to score 30+ a game to win. The rules have changed everything.

The new norm is to look for a head coach that knows quarterbacks and delegate everything else.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:30 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ray Horton may get hired and have success, but as soon as that happens, someone will hire his offensive coordinator away and lead to disruption on that side of the ball where it can be least afforded.

When you have an offensive minded head coach, it's always going to be his system on that side of the ball. Another guy may call the plays and do the grunt work, but it's the head coach's system. If his OC gets hired away, simply promote a position coach and reassert some control until that guy is ready to handle things.

I think that is a big reason we are seeing more offensive coaches getting hired to head jobs.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:33 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I normally agree with that mentality, but in this league you almost have to score 30+ a game to win. The rules have changed everything.

The new norm is to look for a head coach that knows quarterbacks and delegate everything else.
Depends. Russell Wilson is doing just fine with Pete Carroll at HC. Luck has a defensive HC (technically). Cam has a defensive head coach. So does Freeman who had a bounceback year.

Stafford has a defensive head coach.

Sometimes we give too much credit to the offensive coordinator. Sometimes, the qb is gonna suck bc he sucks, and sometimes he's gonna be good regardless of who his OC is bc he's good.

If I know I have a stud qb, I'd prefer to build my defense, and have my stud qb make the offensive pieces I give him look better than they are. Bc like Saints Tigers stated in the other thread, I think it's easier to be successful that way bc you need more resources on defense to be successful on that side of the field bc you don't have that 1 singular piece that can make everyone around them better like a qb can for offense.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:38 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Russell Wilson is doing just fine with Pete Carroll at HC.
Meh. Call me when Russell Wilson wins a Superbowl.

Quote:
Luck has a defensive HC (technically).
And a guy who is up for head coaching jobs as his OC.

Quote:
Cam has a defensive head coach. So does Freeman who had a bounceback year. Stafford has a defensive head coach.
I mean, I guess that's a thing.

Quote:
Sometimes we give too much credit to the offensive coordinator. Sometimes, the qb is gonna suck bc he sucks, and sometimes he's gonna be good regardless of who his OC is bc he's good.
Of course, but you could say that about any position. Quarterback is the only position that will literally make or break a team, so it makes sense to get a guy who knows as much about them as you can.

Quote:
If I know I have a stud qb
How do you get that?

Old 01-16-2013, 04:49 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How do you get that?
A little bit of good scouting, a sprinkle of coaching, and a whole lot of luck?
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:49 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
A little bit of good scouting, a sprinkle of coaching, and a whole lot of luck?
Right. It certainly helps to get a coach then that knows quarterbacks. Unless you're the Colts and you basically cripple yourself into getting an obvious franchise QB.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:52 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I can see where they're coming from. But a good coach is a good coach, regardless of where he came from or what his background is.

I have a feeling a lot of these hires were GMs trying to outsmart everyone and trying to manufacture good coaching with a lot of assumptions.

You'll see a lot of these coaches fizzle out.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:55 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well would you rather have Arians as HC with Horton as DC or Horton as HC with Kirby Smart as OC

it's kind of a no brainer

Old 01-16-2013, 04:58 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

That's not a fair comparison. What if I had Horton as HC with Norv Turner at OC?

We're starting to attribute too much into good qb play correlating with successful OCs. It's really the opposite. Good qbs make OCs look good. Not the other way around.

And I love Bruce Arians don't get me wrong. But how much credit should we give a guy for having Ben Roethlisberger who will be a HOF qb, and then Andrew Luck who probably will wind up becoming one? Like really? It wasn't that hard.

Remember when Ken Whistenhunt looked like an offensive genius with Roethlisberger and Warner as his qbs, then looked like a full blown ****** when he didn't have them?

We're giving OCs too much credit for qb success here. Qbs make the OC, not the other way around.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:59 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
You'll see a lot of these coaches fizzle out.
Of course you will. The vast majority of coaches fizzle out.

The only question is if this is the beginning of a longterm trend, and I think it is.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:00 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

Horton lacks the connections/respect to bring in someone like Turner he has to settle for the Kirby Wilson's and Lou Spanos' of the world

Old 01-16-2013, 05:02 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Of course you will. The vast majority of coaches fizzle out.

The only question is if this is the beginning of a longterm trend, and I think it is.
It is the beginning of a long term trend. Absolutely. I just don't necessarily agree with it. I understand it. But I don't agree with it because you're limiting yourself too much with this way of thinking, and missing out on some great candidates just bc they don't come from an offensive background.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:04 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Horton lacks the connections/respect to bring in someone like Turner he has to settle for the Kirby Wilson's and Lou Spanos' of the world
And how do you know this? How do you know he doesn't have connections dating back to his pittsburgh days that he can scoop up who would do a great job at OC?

That's pure speculation with no evidence.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:06 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

it's what he told Bidwill and Keim why would he lie[/Manti T'eo]

Old 01-16-2013, 05:10 PM    (permalink
asdf1223
Veteran

asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And how do you know this? How do you know he doesn't have connections dating back to his pittsburgh days that he can scoop up who would do a great job at OC?

That's pure speculation with no evidence.
It may not be true but at the same time Fenikz has a point. Two years ago he was just a DB coach for the Steelers. He wasn't even the Cards first choice for D-Coordinator. Last thing you want is Mike Singeltary/Raheem Morris situation where a guy has been a non-coordinator lifer on one side of the ball and you make him run an entire team. You'll end up outsourcing the other side of the ball to people like Jimmy Raye and it ends up being a total disaster.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:14 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
well would you rather have Arians as HC with Horton as DC or Horton as HC with Kirby Smart as OC

it's kind of a no brainer
Kirby Smart would be a horrible NFL OC, hes only been a Defensive Coordinator in college for cryin out loud...askin a lot out of this guy. :-P

Quote:
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:15 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf1223 View Post
It may not be true but at the same time Fenikz has a point. Two years ago he was just a DB coach for the Steelers. He wasn't even the Cards first choice for D-Coordinator. Last thing you want is Mike Singeltary/Raheem Morris situation where a guy has been a non-coordinator lifer on one side of the ball and you make him run an entire team. You'll end up outsourcing the other side of the ball to people like Jimmy Raye and it ends up being a total disaster.
I mean...look at some of these hires though. They aren't exactly the pinnacle of offensive innovation themselves.

For every Mike McCarthy theres about 9 Pat Shurmurs.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:53 PM    (permalink
asdf1223
Veteran

asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I mean...look at some of these hires though. They aren't exactly the pinnacle of offensive innovation themselves.

For every Mike McCarthy theres about 9 Pat Shurmurs.
I agree and I feel like Mike Zimmer is a good choice for HC and more defensive guys need to get jobs but Horton's way too green. If you interview him and ask him for his offensive philosophy I'm not sure what reply you are going to get. Let him fine tune his D, take a deeper look at his offense, build connections and figure out what he wants as an offensive philosophy.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:22 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kind of funny how no one wants Lovie.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:25 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

He can come be our DC :)

Quote: