Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:49 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
I think it has more to do with getting a real QB than Philbin.
If everybody outside of Packer Nation is lukewarm on Philbin, then I'm happy.

And regarding the Raiders, I'm starting to think that the reason RM didn't become a GM a lot sooner is because he screwed up the "Who would you want to hire to be your Head Coach?" question. He sure has compiled a lackluster list of candidates in Oakland.

Last edited by WCH : 01-18-2012 at 06:57 AM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:03 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
If everybody outside of Packer Nation is lukewarm on Philbin, then I'm happy.

And regarding the Raiders, I'm starting to think that the reason RM didn't become a GM a lot sooner is because he screwed up the "Who would you want to hire to be your Head Coach?" question. He sure has compiled a lackluster list of candidates in Oakland.
Oakland's list of candidates has been terrible but then again who wants to coach in a place which has gone through seven different guys in 11 years?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:48 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
The Raiders will interview Mike Tice for their head coaching job.
That would be awesome...
Old 01-18-2012, 10:51 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
That would be awesome...
"Meathead" Mike Tice and Norv ".500" Turner in the same division...who would win those games?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:10 AM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ross Tucker summed it up best with the final three of Dolphins coaching search...

Quote:
RossTuckerNFL: Fins final 3 HC candidates on paper: 1. OC who doesn't call plays 2. OC of bad offense 3. DB coach
Yeah, this franchise is doomed for atleast a few more years. What a ******* joke.

Props to fenikz on the awesome sig
Da-Phins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:11 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Phibin, McCoy and...who's the DB coach?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:12 AM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Todd Bowles

Props to fenikz on the awesome sig
Da-Phins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:15 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Ah..yeah...lame.

There is just such a mediocre pool of coaches to choose from. I'm trying to think of who I'd want this year if I could choose anyone.

I think Zimmer would top my list. He's not a retread, but he's been in the league a while and has actually done pretty well coaching his unit the last few years.

Behind him, I'd try for an offensive coach and then throw money after Spags to coach the defense.

Not a good year to need a coach I suppose.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:17 AM    (permalink
Roddoliver
Rookie

Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Only 2 of the 11 head coaches hired in 2009 still have their jobs. It shows how teams have no idea of what they're doing.
Roddoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:20 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

College coaches should be looked at a little more too I think. Harbaugh has been wildly successful this year, but I think previous failures of guys like Nick Saban as pros has teams turned off.

Plus, guys at the bigger college programs make just as much if not more than pro head coaches anyway. And there's more security in a college head coaching job too.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:24 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
There is just such a mediocre pool of coaches to choose from.
This is why I was so high on keeping Romeo Crennel.

I don't think anyone else would have been more qualified and RAC all ready has a good thing going with the D.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:24 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
This is why I was so high on keeping Romeo Crennel.

I don't think anyone else would have been more qualified and RAC all ready has a good thing going with the D.
Did you hire someone to run the offense yet? I forget...

Hopefully you did, because the "hottest" name seems to be Brian Schottenheimer and....you don't want that.

That's why I hope we keep Mike Tice. He may be a meathead, but at least I sort of know what we'd be getting: balanced attack, emphasis on protecting Cutler.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:41 AM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey619 View Post
I said this in one of BBs week in review threads. mccoy made big adjusments midseason and was creative and smart with what he had to work with. he was resourceful and able to adapt to his personnel quickly, i thought it was impressive. most coaches wouldve just said '**** it im running my system and tebow either sinks or swims.'
I don't want you to get page-trapped, because this is a salient post.
DraftSavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:43 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftSavant View Post
I don't want you to get page-trapped, because this is a salient post.
It doesn't mean I would hire McCoy as a head coach though.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:47 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It doesn't mean I would hire McCoy as a head coach though.
I'd give Spags another shot as a HC before I hired McCoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:51 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Quote:
Did you hire someone to run the offense yet?
Not yet. I have heard very little on their plans for OC.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:58 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ah..yeah...lame.

There is just such a mediocre pool of coaches to choose from. I'm trying to think of who I'd want this year if I could choose anyone.

I think Zimmer would top my list. He's not a retread, but he's been in the league a while and has actually done pretty well coaching his unit the last few years.

Behind him, I'd try for an offensive coach and then throw money after Spags to coach the defense.

With Miami dropping out of the Zimmer running, what is Tampa Bay waiting for? Come on Glazers. Lock this guy up/.

I swear, if they hire Sherman...
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:44 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure if this was posted earlier, but Mortenson reported last night don't rule out the possibility of Brian Schottenheimer being the Rams Offensive Coordinator and Hue Jackson as the Quarterback Coach.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:56 PM    (permalink
FuzzyGopher
Pro Bowler

FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's what I've been thinking as well, not a lot of good candidates out there. You would think someone would throw tons of power, control and money at guys like Cowher and Gruden out of desperation with the supply of quality talent so small. I guess they're (Gruden & Cowher) just being patient and waiting for the perfect opportunity to come along instead of hitching their wagon to some ****** organization.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:58 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Not sure if this was posted earlier, but Mortenson reported last night don't rule out the possibility of Brian Schottenheimer being the Rams Offensive Coordinator and Hue Jackson as the Quarterback Coach.
Sorry to break your bubbl;e, but Mort and Clayton are the most unrealiable sources I've ever seen. They both talk out of their ***. For how good of an Off. Coord. Hue Jackson is, I doubt he'll take a QB coach role, since other teams still need OC's in the league. If he doesn't get the job with St. Louis, he could be on Tampa's radar or even Miami's two teams with out an OC.

Plus, he has ties with Mike Zimmer, so that could be a connection as well.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:59 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
That's what I've been thinking as well, not a lot of good candidates out there. You would think someone would throw tons of power, control and money at guys like Cowher and Gruden out of desperation with the supply of quality talent so small. I guess they're (Gruden & Cowher) just being patient and waiting for the perfect opportunity to come along instead of hitching their wagon to some ****** organization.
The rumors have been swirling...probably at least since his initial retirement...that Cowher wants the Giants. But Coughlin keeps on doing just enough to stick around. Where there's this much smoke, there's usually fire, but if Cowher wants to coach again, he might need to look elsewhere.

Gruden...I have no idea. I've heard rumors that he would like to take over the Chargers and he refuses to say anything negative about anyone (except for, hilariously, Blaine Gabbert) on MNF so as not to burn any bridges to potential coaching opportunities.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:02 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a feeling the Bucs want Perry Fewell to run Tampa 2 over there.

Make it happen please!
Old 01-18-2012, 02:04 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The rumors have been swirling...probably at least since his initial retirement...that Cowher wants the Giants. But Coughlin keeps on doing just enough to stick around. Where there's this much smoke, there's usually fire, but if Cowher wants to coach again, he might need to look elsewhere.
He will definitely need to look elsewhere. Coughlin isn't going anywhere. He already has a Super Bowl ring. He has a great chance to win another this year. Outside of multiple seasons finishing with a top-ten draft pick, Coughlin will retire a Giant. Does Cowher really want to wait 5-8 years for Coughlin to retire before he gets back into coaching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:05 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Gruden...I have no idea. I've heard rumors that he would like to take over the Chargers and he refuses to say anything negative about anyone (except for, hilariously, Blaine Gabbert) on MNF so as not to burn any bridges to potential coaching opportunities.
Honestly, Gruden never did anything to build a team. He always took over whether it was a Raiders team that was already in place or the Bucs back in 2002.

He ruined the Bucs by poor drafting and scouting and never re-built Tampa when guys started declining with age.

He's a quick fix coach, but you better have a veteran QB established and a GREAT GM to find talent. The problem with Gruden though is he';ll want control.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:06 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have a feeling the Bucs want Perry Fewell to run Tampa 2 over there.

Make it happen please!
I don't know about that. No one really knows what they're doing. Only the NY Daily News made a suggestion because the Bucs are taking there time. Does not mean they're holding out. Could just be evaluating other candidates.