Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 08:35 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
Had a great day but it was obvious the Niners coaching staff decided to mail this one in, as they've already clinched the division. It was the Cardinals' Super Bowl' and they got all the breaks; Congrats to them for wanting it more today. We'll be enjoying the playoffs in January when they are all sitting at home watching! Niners had every chance to win this game and didn't do it; a complete opposite of how they've played this season. Alex didn't look great at all but he shares the blame with others who didn't make enough plays to win this game. It wouldn't have taken much but they played down to their competition.

Time to regroup and make up for it with the Steelers coming to the Stick nest Monday night.
word. You saw it live right?
Old 12-11-2011, 08:46 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
but the play shouldn't have occurred in the 1st place, how can you penalize a play that's not allowed to happen
Because it was a personal foul. Doesn't matter if there was a play or not. A personal foul can occur at any point.

Imagine a DE jumps offsides, then the ref blows the play dead. If the DE were to continue playing and crush the QB, he's still getting a personal foul right.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:00 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
word. You saw it live right?
Yep. Pretty boring game overall. For the first time in my 7 years of going, they were a majority of Niners fans there. Last year it was 60/40 but today it was AT LEAST 55/45 in favor of the Niners and they throw up that performance. Disappointing.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Old 12-11-2011, 09:14 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yep. Pretty boring game overall. For the first time in my 7 years of going, they were a majority of Niners fans there. Last year it was 60/40 but today it was AT LEAST 55/45 in favor of the Niners and they throw up that performance. Disappointing.
Shame you had to sit through a performance like that. Did Ginn look as bad in person as he did in front of the flat-screen? He doesn't deserve another snap as a WR. I would rather have Swain in there and K-10 has already proved he deserves more targets. Just awful play from alot of players today.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:28 PM    (permalink
hawkeye123
Veteran

hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also went to the game and had a blast even though it was a sloppy performance.

The majority were definitely niner fans which was cool.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:59 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Shame you had to sit through a performance like that. Did Ginn look as bad in person as he did in front of the flat-screen? He doesn't deserve another snap as a WR. I would rather have Swain in there and K-10 has already proved he deserves more targets. Just awful play from alot of players today.
I was talking out loud about how they shouldn't script any plays for him at WR, just use him as a returner. The Niners fans around me all agreed Then he immediately screws up the next play as a WR, losing track of the ball in the air, and then follows it up with his dynamic return. LOL. K-10 tore up AZ last time and they should have let him do it again today. He was a Sun Devil and would have loved to have a career game against AZ today. Oh well.

Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

Last edited by Madirishman : 12-11-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye123 View Post
I also went to the game and had a blast even though it was a sloppy performance.

The majority were definitely niner fans which was cool.
Largest percentage I've ever seen but there are always tons of Niner fans there.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

I just re-watched this game that I taped to see difference from my point of view from the stands. The team on TV does look a little more inspired then they did live, Alex still looked bad but the receivers dropping and not locating balls looked worse, and the refs really had some bad calls and untimely calls that cost the Niners. The late whistle that cost them the fake punt TD, and then the subsequent broken play where the Cards get a long fluke TD was a HUGE 14 point swing in the game. That being said, the Niners really dominated this game for the first 3 quarters and just played flat on offense the last quarter. There were many plays that they didn't execute throughout the game they normally would. Not sure if was lack of focus or just an off-day for them but they had every chance to win (and dominate this game) and just didn't do it. Bleh.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:39 PM    (permalink
hawkeye123
Veteran

hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My biggest issue with the niners today and the last few weeks is scoring field goals and not touchdowns. They'll drive down the field, get to red zone, get stuffed twice and then try a fade throw to Edwards or Ginn and fail.

To compete with the Packers and Saints in the postseason the niners are really going to need to score touchdowns in the red zone.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye123 View Post
My biggest issue with the niners today and the last few weeks is scoring field goals and not touchdowns. They'll drive down the field, get to red zone, get stuffed twice and then try a fade throw to Edwards or Ginn and fail.

To compete with the Packers and Saints in the postseason the niners are really going to need to score touchdowns in the red zone.
That's where the quarterback limitation comes into play. When you don't have one you usually can't convert third downs and have trouble scoring in the redzone.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:00 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
WCO?

What WCO?

Nobody in the NFL runs the WCO, least of all, the 49ers.
Teams run certain aspects of the WCO, but not Bill Walsh's. That is long since dead.

Quote:
Old 12-12-2011, 12:41 AM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb
Football Outsiders has Alex 11th in DVOA

and 14th in DYAR:

IMO he has played at a top 15 level this season and I think Football Outsiders QB system pegs it more accurately compared to ESPN QBR. I think ESPN's weighs sacks too heavily against a QB and I don't like their interpretation of "Clutch Weight."
I would disagree. Many times a sack is the QB's fault for not knowing the hot read and holding on to it too long. Alex is properly dinged when it comes to that aspect.

And the passing portion from the ESPN system still has him at "only average".

Football outsiders is a joke. They ding receivers based on a "targets/yards" system, without any context on how well thrown said passes are. Put Jerry Rice with Alex Smith and I bet you someone like Jordy nelson would have a better DVOA than him.

Last edited by PatrickWillis : 12-12-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:48 AM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis PatrickWillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I defended him through the Martz debacle (firing Martz, losing Linehan, settling with Raye.) I was wrong too because he truly proved TO ME that he was a clown of a coach early into 2010. However, I wasn't a huge Martz fan, doubt I ever will be, and I gave Sing the benefit of the doubt.

I call it how I see it. I was wrong in my defense of him. It was a benefit of doubt I shouldn't have given. I trusted he would surround himself with capable people, and he didn't.

Without 2nd guesses I would take...

Aaron Rodgers
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Ben Roethlisberger
Philip Rivers
Peyton Manning (healthy)
Eli Manning

With consideration for fit in a Harbaugh system, I would include Alex Smith in a group of...

Tony Romo
Jay Cutler
Matt Schaub
Matthew Stafford
Matt Ryan
Cam Newton.

But thus far in 2011 (and perhaps into the future) he is performing better than several of those guys.
Where is Vick? Flacco? Palmer? Hell, Matt Moore is better.

Schaub is miles ahead of him, as well as Romo. Take a look at their mechanics and footwork, then Alex's, and come back to me saying with a straight face that Alex is in their league.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:15 AM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post

It was really because your posts were so awful and I got tired of you not knowing what you were talking about. Had nothing to do with getting butthurt, more so than it had to do with you being obnoxious. When you have to resort to insulting someone to debate a point, you've already lost the argument. That's the real joke, FRIENDO.

Believe what you want to believe though.
I don't lose debates. People claim I lose debates when I "attack them", when really, it's the internet, and the attack should not bother you or discredit the argument at hand.

It's a cowards way out.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:38 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickWillis View Post
I don't lose debates. People claim I lose debates when I "attack them", when really, it's the internet, and the attack should not bother you or discredit the argument at hand.

It's a cowards way out.
Well, aside from being incredibly abrasive, you let your emotions get the best of you when interpreting and you often fail to fully comprehend what people are saying. You then formulate your own opinion of what you've read, and then attack the poster and their pseudo-opinion that you've conjured up. This will never win you any debate, it just makes you look childlike. This is why most people ignore you and you've been banned repeatedly by so many good sites.

For instance, Ness and I argue over Alex a crapload, but he'll never take what I say out of context or exaggerate the words of other people. This is simply part of being mature. It's not the attacks that discredit you, they only make you intolerable and easy to ignore, what discredits you is your inability to calmly interpret what people say.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:41 AM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

Quote:
Well, aside from being incredibly abrasive, you let your emotions get the best of you when interpreting and you often fail to fully comprehend what people are saying. You then formulate your own opinion of what you've read, and then attack the poster and their pseudo-opinion that you've conjured up. This will never win you any debate, it just makes you look childlike. This is why most people ignore you and you've been banned repeatedly by so many good sites.

For instance, Ness and I argue over Alex a crapload, but he'll never take what I say out of context or exaggerate the words of other people. This is simply part of being mature. It's not the attacks that discredit you, they only make you intolerable and easy to ignore, what discredits you is your inability to calmly interpret what people say.
I exaggerate in sarcastic fashion laughing at your own stupidity. Sorry if you can't differentiate a debate point and sarcasm. Thats your mothers fault for smoking crack while you were in the womb, thus resulting in an IQ that is far too low to debate football on the internet.

Last edited by PatrickWillis : 12-12-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:41 AM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

And remember....Thank God for Alex!

Last edited by PatrickWillis : 12-12-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:49 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickWillis View Post
I exaggerate in sarcastic fashion laughing at your own stupidity. Sorry if you can't differentiate a debate point and sarcasm. Thats your mothers fault for smoking crack while you were in the womb, thus resulting in an IQ that is far too low to debate football on the internet.
bwahaha, ok buddy.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:57 AM    (permalink
PatrickWillis
Rookie

Quote:
bwahaha, ok buddy.
Sorry you are a bit sensitive. It's okay...many posters on the internet suffer from this. You can't let loose and throw sarcasm back into people's faces, you need to resort to whining about the "maturutiez" level of the posts. Lighten. The. Hell. Up. Jesus christ.

And thank god for Alex!
Old 12-12-2011, 06:12 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The hell? He wasn't our best offensive player today. It was Frank Gore by a mile. The Cardinals are terrible against the run, don't know why we let it go so early when it was clear Alex wasn't going to win us the game.
Gore had two good runs and was invisible for the rest of the game. 57 of his 74 yards came on those two runs. That means he had 8 carries for 17 yards outside of two runs. Gore has been bad for a month or so.

Smith made enough plays for us to win the game, though he also had quite a few terrible passes, but with the way the offensive line played and the receivers dropping passes or just failing to even find the ball it was amazing he didn't play worse. You said earlier it is clear that Alex Smith can't carry the team when nothing is clicking on offense and I somewhat agree, though when nothing is clicking; i.e. the running game sucks, the offensive line is horrible, the receivers can't do anything; no QB other than Peyton Manning can carry a team. Smith has shown he can carry the team with no running game as long as the offensive line gives him some time.

Quote:
But you don't think we need to upgrade the position? It's just one bad game, but I can't remember Alex having three good games in a row or pass for over 300 yards and dominate a team from start to finish. This defense isn't the 2000 Ravens and we don't have Jamal Lewis to bulldoze over people. This won't cut it against Green Bay or New Orleans.
The Saints just barely beat the Titans, and they lost convincingly to the Rams.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:53 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

New Orleans has looked vulnerable on the road; much morseo that at home. Green Bay just looks like the best team in the NFC (if not the league). I do give the Niners a good chance to beat the Saints in a game at the Stick as well as in a cold-weather-ground-and-clock-control game at Lambeau Field.

The trading TD's for FG thing has been an issue all year but they've won games despite doing this. Elite teams will make them pay.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:17 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
WCO?

What WCO?

Nobody in the NFL runs the WCO, least of all, the 49ers.
Okay smart-ass, the Jim Harbaugh Offense then. Happy? Where did all these morons come from all of a sudden? Lose a game and its troll season around here.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:41 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Gore had two good runs and was invisible for the rest of the game. 57 of his 74 yards came on those two runs. That means he had 8 carries for 17 yards outside of two runs. Gore has been bad for a month or so.

Smith made enough plays for us to win the game, though he also had quite a few terrible passes, but with the way the offensive line played and the receivers dropping passes or just failing to even find the ball it was amazing he didn't play worse. You said earlier it is clear that Alex Smith can't carry the team when nothing is clicking on offense and I somewhat agree, though when nothing is clicking; i.e. the running game sucks, the offensive line is horrible, the receivers can't do anything; no QB other than Peyton Manning can carry a team. Smith has shown he can carry the team with no running game as long as the offensive line gives him some time.

The Saints just barely beat the Titans, and they lost convincingly to the Rams.
But they beat them. Brees scored twice in the final few minutes of the game if I remember correctly.

Speaking of Brees, he can certainly carry a team when nothing else isn't working. So can Aaron Rodgers.

Quote:
Old 12-12-2011, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
New Orleans has looked vulnerable on the road; much morseo that at home. Green Bay just looks like the best team in the NFC (if not the league). I do give the Niners a good chance to beat the Saints in a game at the Stick as well as in a cold-weather-ground-and-clock-control game at Lambeau Field.

The trading TD's for FG thing has been an issue all year but they've won games despite doing this. Elite teams will make them pay.
The thing that worries me is I don't know if the redzone issues can be fixed. I'm sure a lot of it comes down to execution, but then I'm sure a certain amount of it just comes down to talent. It's been an issue all year long and there really isn't any excuse for lack of progress. Same with third downs either.

Quote:
Old 12-12-2011, 02:46 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

Quote:

Speaking of Brees, he can certainly carry a team when nothing else isn't working. So can Aaron Rodgers.
Yeah, those guys are special, especially Rodgers. The Packers are making this season a lot less fun.

I hope Ben plays, MNF is gonna be sick. They will stop the run so it will be another good test.
Closed Thread