Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:49 AM    (permalink
FloridaFootball
Veteran

FloridaFootball hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.FloridaFootball hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...7032702455.html

Redskins Quiet On Briggs 'Rumors'
Agent Says Trade Has Been Discussed

By Howard Bryant and Mark Maske
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, March 28, 2007; Page E01

The agent for Lance Briggs, a two-time Pro Bowl linebacker for the Chicago Bears, said yesterday that the Washington Redskins have made an offer for his client, but team officials dismissed the possibility as "rumors."

"Right now, it's just a bunch of stuff that got thrown around" Monday, said Redskins Coach Joe Gibbs, interviewed yesterday at the NFL owners meetings in Phoenix. "Just a bunch of rumors."

Said Vice President of Football Operations Vinny Cerrato, "We don't comment on rumors."

Briggs's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, confirmed published reports stating that the Redskins have offered to switch places with the Bears in the first round of next month's draft, exchanging the sixth pick for the 31st, to acquire Briggs.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:14 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm really starting to wonder if the package being reported isn't what's being offered (a swap of picks in the first round), and hence, why the Skins side can go on about how they didn't offer the swap and don't wish to discuss rumors, and why the Bears side can be talking about taking the Redskins offer under consideration. Of course, that begs the question of, what else could the Skins be offering?

It was also noted in the Redskins Insider blog that the sources they had talked to seemed skeptical (see http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redsk....html#comments and look for a post by Cindy).

It'll definitely be interesting to see how it all plays out ... and I think I'd have a good hoot at the end of the day if all this ended up with ... nothing but a bunch of talk amongst teams that goes on at this time of year. It is a quiet time in the draft process, and this has definitely stirred the pot.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:25 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
so the real, unasked question in all of this is:

how will the broncos somehow work themselves into this trade?
And the plot thickens...
Old 03-28-2007, 03:17 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hmm, a lot of reports on the Redskins and Briggs having agreed to a contract.

It's been reported on DC radio stations, and

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/footb...ully28.article

20 million guaranteed and 7.5 mil per year? Intriguing. Too lazy to look it up, but I think that was a little less than Adalius got?
Old 03-28-2007, 03:20 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just plain unbelievable... Way to stunt your top draft pick from 2006, Redskins! Might as well trade Macintosh because he's not going to play...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:21 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So its official?
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:23 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only thing official right now is that the Redskins have an agreement with Briggs on a multi-year contract with $20mm guaranteed. They have also offered Chicago the #6 overall pick for Briggs and the #31 overall pick.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 03-28-2007, 03:25 PM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
So its official?
No. The Bears haven't decided to trade Briggs yet. Its just that the trade would be contingent on the Redskins signing Briggs to a contract extension and the articles says the terms of hte contract are drawn up. The ball is in the Bear's court now.

How ridiculous would it be if the Redskins just signed Briggs to an offer and the Bears decided not to match? Cha-ching!
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:43 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
Just plain unbelievable... Way to stunt your top draft pick from 2006, Redskins! Might as well trade Macintosh because he's not going to play...
Not that I'm defending the move at all, as I've noted my unease with it in the past posts of this thread, but it's been reported/rumored in a lot of places that the coaches were disappointed in Rocky McIntosh's play last year and they don't believe that he's ready to start. My bigger beef at LB really would still be shafting Lemar Marshall, who played solid 2 years ago at MIKE, struggled last year, but likely would be a capable-solid weakside starter.

It is interesting to note that in Mark Maske's blog, there's talk that the Redskins are contemplating moving up at the same time (how, I don't know). Albeit, that could be Joe Gibbs trying to give some misdirection (although it could also explain why the Redskins came out in full force that day at the Tech pro day).
Old 03-28-2007, 03:47 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

As a more rational fan, I believe in giving your first day picks and carryover players who have produced the time to develop and grow within your system. You don't pull players for one mistake. You let them play through and correct the behavior in game and during practice. You build teams with the draft, not through free agency. That is my opinion.

On a related note, I'm not thrilled about all the FA acquisitions the Eagles have made. I'm worried a little about team unity and the franchise overpaying players.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:56 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well Lance Briggs is basically a draft pick at what 25-26 years old same age as an Aaron Ross, and Briggs is already a pro bowl upper tier LB, I agree the position isn't the biggest need and the value of moving down is not being honored but it is a huge upgrade and getting Briggs and lets say Charles Johnson or Tank Tyler is much better than just getting a Gaines Adams or Amobi Okoye which we would take at #6. Marcus Washington's contract is done in 08 so maybe we are preparing to go without him with Rocky eventually taking a starting role.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:59 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

That is very possible, give Rocky another year and then slide him in. He ostensibly has the skillset to play all 3, so whoever declines more (London or Marcus) could get replaced by Rocky in the lineup.

On a side note, my personal "guy to watch" if the Skins move to 31 would be Ray McDonald. I am not a huge fan of him, but a lot of people are jumping aboard that, and IMO, he would fit all the Redskins needs at that spot (granted, they could slide a couple slots down and perhaps get him, although Tampa is a big option at round 2 that may look Ray's way). He could give them a base end and interior pass rusher.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:03 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do love McDonald as a versatile run sporting DE/DT ala Trevor Pryce or Anthony Weaver but I see him as 2-3rd round value, I'd absolutely love if we could get Charles Johnson at #31 he is way overrated.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:04 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

I am similarly not big on Ray McDonald, and am worried about him, partially due to history. But it wouldn't surprise me to see Ray go high ... a lot of people seem to like him, and he's very efficient at what he does, inside or outside.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:35 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I hear what people are saying about Briggs. In thinking about it, I cant say that he isn't worth it. He is an upper-echelon pro-bowl LB who is very young and in his prime. And without a doubt, when you add a player like Brigss to your defense, it adds a lot of versatility and your DC can do more things.

And I read your post earlier Toonster and it made a good case but I really think if the Skins are thinking along those lines they are making a mistake. This is how Im looking at it:

1) The Skins pass-rush was awful. They finished dead last in sacks with 19, barely over 1 per game. The next worst team had 25. They'd be foolish to place their hopes in Golston and Carter.
2) I understand your point about allowing Washington to blitz more if they have better coverage backers. But Fletchers strong point is coverage and Lemar Marshall is not a bad coverage backer and at WLB he can be used in that role more. Plus getting rid of Archuleta should help their coverage units.
3) Im looking at it on a need-based outlook. The Redskins have all of 1 day pick. LB has to be considered one of their strong points. Washington - Fletcher - Marshall looks like a strong LB unit and then McIntosh is there as well and he can continue to be developed and eventually replace someone. On the other hand, they have a big need at DE, they are weak at DT after Griffin, Stoutmire is their SS and hes passable but really they could use an uprgade there, at CB they have a lot of questions. On offense, they have questions too. Lloyd and Randle El both seem like busts at WR, their OL has some questions. Can they really afford to make their biggest acquistion a LB? They can get Gaines Adams at 6 and give their pass-rush a huge upgrade. If they trade down and pass on Adams, I think they need to do in a way that allows them to aquire more picks so they can adress multiple needs. If they make this deal, they probly use their 1st rounder on a DE still, but just a much inferior one and they still have all the same needs across the board.
4) A big part of the argument for this pick implies either Washington or Fletcher will be replaced. They just signed Fletcher to a big deal. Why would they make a trade that allows him to be replaced in the near future in the very same offseason? And I cant see why theyd replace Washington. Hes still young and playing great.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:28 PM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gibbs speaks about the trade rumors

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...082800465.html

He says the trade is not "imminent" and that they are also considering trading up. Also Lovie Smith expects Lance Briggs to be in a Bear uniform next year but of course in classic Loviespeak:

"We franchised Lance," Smith said. "He's one of our players. That's all there is."

....Beautiful.

I see it as a draft day trade where the Redskins see if they can trade up for Calvin Johnson otherwise trade down with the Bears if they are interested.
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:02 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbear View Post
Gibbs speaks about the trade rumors

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...082800465.html

He says the trade is not "imminent" and that they are also considering trading up. Also Lovie Smith expects Lance Briggs to be in a Bear uniform next year but of course in classic Loviespeak:

"We franchised Lance," Smith said. "He's one of our players. That's all there is."

....Beautiful.

I see it as a draft day trade where the Redskins see if they can trade up for Calvin Johnson otherwise trade down with the Bears if they are interested.
Based on Redskins recent history, for all the talk about stalling that they can make, I actually expect that, if this move is to happen, it'll happen before the draft. It gets too complicated during the draft, as it would likely open up scenarios for Washington.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:09 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Their D would be sick with Briggs on it. Why does he want to leave so bad?

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:12 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

POSTED 7:31 p.m. EDT, March 28, 2007

'SKINS WILLING TO PAY $20 MILLION GUARANTEED TO BRIGGS

The Chicago Sun-Times reports that, if the Bears and Redskins work out a deal for linebacker Lance Briggs, the 'Skins will pay the franchise-tagged free agent $20 million in guaranteed money as part of a deal that averages $7.5 million per year.

The Redskins have offered to swap first-round picks with the Bears for Briggs. Chicago would get the No. 6 overall pick, and Washington would take the No. 31 selection.

Under the trade chart, the move results in a net gain of 1,000 points for the Bears, which is equivalent to the No. 16 overall pick.

Multiple league insiders expect the Bears to balk. The No. 6 pick lands in the high-rent district, and the Bears might not be inclined to pay a rookie a ton of money. If we were calling the shots in Chitown (and Bears fans everywhere should rejoice in the fact that we don't), we'd ask for the No. 6 pick straight up, and then we'd slap the two picks together in an effort to make a play for one of the few guys that Rex Grossman can't overthrow -- receiver Calvin Johnson.

Off PFT

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:18 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
I hear what people are saying about Briggs. In thinking about it, I cant say that he isn't worth it. He is an upper-echelon pro-bowl LB who is very young and in his prime. And without a doubt, when you add a player like Brigss to your defense, it adds a lot of versatility and your DC can do more things.

And I read your post earlier Toonster and it made a good case but I really think if the Skins are thinking along those lines they are making a mistake. This is how Im looking at it:

1) The Skins pass-rush was awful. They finished dead last in sacks with 19, barely over 1 per game. The next worst team had 25. They'd be foolish to place their hopes in Golston and Carter.
2) I understand your point about allowing Washington to blitz more if they have better coverage backers. But Fletchers strong point is coverage and Lemar Marshall is not a bad coverage backer and at WLB he can be used in that role more. Plus getting rid of Archuleta should help their coverage units.
3) Im looking at it on a need-based outlook. The Redskins have all of 1 day pick. LB has to be considered one of their strong points. Washington - Fletcher - Marshall looks like a strong LB unit and then McIntosh is there as well and he can continue to be developed and eventually replace someone. On the other hand, they have a big need at DE, they are weak at DT after Griffin, Stoutmire is their SS and hes passable but really they could use an uprgade there, at CB they have a lot of questions. On offense, they have questions too. Lloyd and Randle El both seem like busts at WR, their OL has some questions. Can they really afford to make their biggest acquistion a LB? They can get Gaines Adams at 6 and give their pass-rush a huge upgrade. If they trade down and pass on Adams, I think they need to do in a way that allows them to aquire more picks so they can adress multiple needs. If they make this deal, they probly use their 1st rounder on a DE still, but just a much inferior one and they still have all the same needs across the board.
4) A big part of the argument for this pick implies either Washington or Fletcher will be replaced. They just signed Fletcher to a big deal. Why would they make a trade that allows him to be replaced in the near future in the very same offseason? And I cant see why theyd replace Washington. Hes still young and playing great.
Don't get me wrong ... I'm not a fan of this deal. I've just gone from hating to this deal, from the Redskins perspective, to eh, I don't like it, but I don't hate it. Point by point comment ...

1) Agree. PLacing hope on Carter and Golston to develop is a big risk.

2) Absolutely agree. I think Marshall is getting a bad rap for some reason, and while he struggled inside as the Redskins DL play was poor, he should be a fine fit at weakside. For all the talk about Rocky McIntosh, my "beef" would be over Lemar getting shafted. Archuleta - didn't think he was in their plans anyways.

3) Here's where I have a slight disagreement. My main gripe with the trade isn't really about trading down. I think they should deal down. Dealing down makes sense, whatever package it is, whether it's a player, a package of picks, or so forth.

For all the talks about the Redskins "needs", they really didn't have that many big needs. Yes, another receiver could be used, but Antwaan Randle El looked fine when given the opportunity. The numbers don't look good, as he was stuck at number 3 for awhile, and the QB change. But overall, the only issue offensively was replacing Derrick Dockery, and Todd Wade may be fine in that. If anything, depth was the main offensive concern.

The issue where I disagree is a manner of focus on the role that the player at number 6 could make. Defensively, the Redskins big issue last year at end wasn't really a pass rusher, but more, a need for a base end. That sounds funny, considering the poor numbers that they put up, but the struggles with Carter at POA left them in a precarious situation when other situations happened on the DL.

In terms of pass rush talent, if they could get another interior push to complement a tandem of Washington/Carter on the edges, along with Griffin inside (and remember, Philip Daniels can actually slide inside), they'd be better. No, not a great pass rush group, but not bad.

It's somewhat of an odd situation, but this deal, one that I'm not fond of, could actually put them in a better position in the near future, placing them in the area of perhaps a Charles Johnson to add a base end, and having Washington pass rush more. As much as I like Gaines Adams, I'm not sure his first year impact is going to be significantly better than Anthony Spencer, Charles Johnson, and a few other ends.

Getting back to the endgame on trading ... dealing down and netting them extra picks is also nice in theory ... but really, the extra picks would be 2nd/3rd rounders, all of which assumes a higher level of risk. Briggs or a few 2nd/3rd rounders? Furthermore, keeping in mind that, in this year's draft, the DL grades have a gap in the first round, with few candidates in the mid-first range, and most of the candidate either early, or as late first-2nd round options. I can make a case both ways ... so yes, I can understand their interest in making this deal ... even though I don't like it as I'd like to see assets allocated elsewhere and start to see some shrewder decisions made over long term health of the franchise, rather than continuing to push everything off.

4) I don't think anyone really thinks Washington will get replaced on account of decline, but moreso due to contract. On the other hand, the Fletcher signing was always a short term move anyways, considering the years of the contract and the age. I would venture to guess that even London knows that.

On a side note, I always wanted to make this comment somewhere, but never have. While I don't agree with the Redskins approach to things, one thing needs to be pointed out. It isn't the philosophy that's the problem, it's the execution. Granted, I'm not sure how tenable the philosophy is relative to real situations, but hypothetically, it can work. In a 7-round draft now, plenty of talent slips through. But it's the execution that's the problem. For them to deal off draft picks and pursue FA signings, they have to make the most of their limited draft picks and along with getting good FA signings. They haven't been able to do that enough except in rare circumstances. Thus, I think why a lot of rumors point to Vinny Cerrato in trouble, as this has to be put at his feet. No, I'm not a fan of the philosophy, but let's be clear - it is, hypothetically, possible to create a championship caliber club in this method, provided the execution goes through, and for the Skins, it's the execution that's at fault.

Last edited by toonsterwu : 03-28-2007 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:21 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

On a general point on the Bears perspective - If Angelo balks on account of his feelings getting hurt, then that's just stupid. He needs to do what's best, and this is an intriguing offer. If he doesn't accept the trade, it should be because he believes it doesn't help the window for the Bears now and would rather pursue other options. It shouldn't be because Rosenhaus made it public and he's pissed.

There is an interesting factor to consider, though. Washington, reportedly, has had a hard time drawing interest in the 6th overall pick, and Angelo may be hesitant to give up some of his current window and pay that high price if he feels at risk for not being able to move down.

It's odd that the 6th pick hasn't generated a market. It may be an intriguing indicator as to what some of the teams in the nearby range are currently considering. Of course, it could also simply be that its early in the process.

As for PFT's idea, I don't think there's a snowball's chance in **** (or whatever the saying is) that the Skins give up a 6 in a straight swap for Briggs.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:31 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

toony you highly underestimate the stupidy of the Redskins' front office my friend. And I wouldn't be suprised at all to see them trade us straight up. Not likely to happen but you never no with Snyder running things over there.

I don't think anything is going to happen for a while, not until at least a week before draft, if not sooner. JA knows what he's doing and he's going to wait it out to see what happens because you don't want to jump the gun on this thing. Lance Briggs doensn't hold the cards right now, we do. We own his rights, and we choose if he stays or if he goes. Hell, we could do the same thing next year as well. Lance put himself in a tough spot by opening his mouth and now he'll have to sweat it out.

Idk, I just don't get a player bitching about getting a $7 million deal while being able to play for one of the best teams in the NFL right now. So what, you didn't get a long term deal, take the money, play, and up your price for next year, b/c inflation is a part of sports and I think he could getter a larger deal next offseason if he plays here for one more year. Just my opinion though. I can see where he's coming from but this could've been handled a lot different, oh wait, I forgot Rosendouche is his agent, nevermind.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:33 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you're being a little bit of a homer sweetness. And by a little bit I mean massively.

You have the choice between 7.2 million, or 27.5 million in one year, which are you going to choose?

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:45 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I think you're being a little bit of a homer sweetness. And by a little bit I mean massively.

You have the choice between 7.2 million, or 27.5 million in one year, which are you going to choose?
Ok yea, I didn't see that he got that deal from the Redskins, my bad. Just got home and read that the Skins' offered him a deal if he's traded to them. Whoops.

And you know me 51, I'm no homer. ;)

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:15 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would want a long term deal if I was Briggs to. If he has a bad season next year or gets hurt his value goes drastically down and he doesn't have a long deal with alot of money to back him up.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote