Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:54 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evershot View Post
I get the feeling that Jerry Angelo is going to go after the skins' 2008 and 2009 picks and might be willing to take less in trade value if the skins might be willing to part with either Washington or Marshall.

The number 6 pick would be like a white elephant for the Bears this year. Especially if they can't find a trade partner to trade down with.
The 6th pick is a really a bad spot to be in, after assessing the possibilities, as of right now. It's hard to envision which teams will actually move up to the 6th spot based on the talent available at that slot. Maybe things will open up as we get closer.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:27 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Bailey trade wasn't bad at all, CP is still a top tier back when healthy and is young, and having Trung Candidate as a running back was painful, and prior to last year we were very good in the secondary.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:00 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

Bailey wanted to leave anyway. So either we get a person sitting on the bench or CP.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:49 PM    (permalink
BUSTKUNTLAWL
Veteran

BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Someone just texted me saying that John Clayton is reporting that the Bears are leaning towards taking the deal.

I don't see an article up on ESPN.com from Clayton; does anyone know if he was on SportsCenter or NFL Live or something and mentioned this?
BUSTKUNTLAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:05 PM    (permalink
MP123
Veteran

MP123 smells like sex panther.

If the Bears take the deal, they can take LaRon Landry with the sixth overall. Mike Brown can't stay healthy and Landry can learn beside him for a year or two before they release Brown and move on.
MP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:07 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSTKUNTLAWL View Post
Someone just texted me saying that John Clayton is reporting that the Bears are leaning towards taking the deal.

I don't see an article up on ESPN.com from Clayton; does anyone know if he was on SportsCenter or NFL Live or something and mentioned this?
Nope, haven't heard anything yet. I'll keep looking though.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:08 AM    (permalink
gonzo1105
Veteran

gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gonzo1105 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It appears that the Redskins have some competition for Lance Briggs. The Buffalo Bills have apparently entered the sweepstakes for Lance Briggs as they are offering their # 12 pick for Briggs and are hoping to pick up a 2nd or 3rd rounder would be my guess. This is not also for 31. It basically would be Briggs and a 2nd/3rd for # 12.

This is a scout article:
http://bears.scout.com/2/631069.html

It is a premium article so unless you have a scout account you can't read it.

I wrote out the Bills part of the article

Bills need to replace Spikes and Fletcher-Baker

"Buffalo has been very active in the trade market this offseason, sending tailback Willis McGahee to Baltimore for a slew of draft picks before packaging linebacker Takeo Spikes and Quarterback Kelly Holcomb to Philadelphia for defensive tackle Darwin Walker. Linebacker London Fletcher-Baker left the aforementioned Redskins via free agency, so the Bills have major holes to fill at the position. Pauline has learned that Buffalo is offering their pick in the first round- No. 12 overall- to the Bears for Briggs, although Angelo would have to include another selection in return for that deal to happen.

This potential trade could pick up steam because Buffalo is coached by former Bears front man Dick Jauron, who Briggs played for as a rookie.

Tony Pauline earlier in the article is noted as a veteran scout in the league for those who are curious
gonzo1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:33 AM    (permalink
VoteLynnSwan
All-Pro

VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

tough call on that one... The Skins trade gives us better value, however the Bills trade puts us in a more logical position draft wise... should be interesting.

Sig by me... Hold the applause.
VoteLynnSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:30 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Now ... that's interesting. If it's the 2nd round pick (37) and Briggs for 12, I'd rather take the Redskins deal, as the value is much greater and I'd rather look to deal back. If it's the 3rd (94) and Briggs for 12, or even a 3rd and another pick (4th maybe, or maybe a 3rd in 2008), I'd jump on that deal in an instant. Both of those scenarios would

a) give us a better deal value wise
b) give us 3 of the top 37 picks ... allowing for a ton of flexibility.

and would be much better than the Redskins swap.

So, why would Buffalo do this? My guess would be

a) They do have 4 picks in day 1 as of now, so they can be aggressive if they desire, and any trade would likely maintain 4 day 1 picks

b) Probably because there's speculation that Patrick Willis might not be at 12 right now

c) They are rumored to not think of RB as their preeminent need and believing that they could find someone later. Furthermore, they are pursuing Chris Brown, and a trio of Brown/A-Train and a draft pick might be capable. If Lynch somehow fell a lot, then they could perhaps move back up to get him.

This would allow Buffalo to put forth a Briggs/Crowell/Ellison trio that might be quite good for the scheme.

For the Bears, if the deal doesn't involve the 37, it makes more sense than the Redskins option, as having 3 top 37 picks is quite useful, and the value between 6 (no man's land draft value wise in many respects) and 12 would be fairly close. We'd have enough assets to move up depending on how the board falls (heck, the Redskins could be a deal down opportunity). If not, we could stay put and look at all sorts of options at 12, ranging from WR to TE to S and potentially LB.

Of course, there is an x-factor here, which is that, Briggs would have to agree to go there, and we don't know if Buffalo would pay what he is looking for. Going to Buffalo would keep Briggs in a similar scheme, though.

I was reading an article where Pat Kirwan (not that I think he's the greatest evaluator) thinks that Briggs is worth more than the mid-first value than the Skins are giving right now, and if the Buffalo deal didn't involve the 37, it would certainly give us that.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You think a trade like Briggs and next years 3rd or 2nd round pick could work? I'd rather trade with Buffalo because the only way Briggs could come back and hurt us is in the short run, at least, is if the Bears and Bills somehow made it to the superbowl, but I don't see the Bills as superbowl contenders for at least another 2 years.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:20 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Buffalo trade makes perfect sense, and have been pushing it all offseason long.

-The Bills need a linebacker (you could arguably put Briggs at the Mike position with Angelo Crowell at the Will)
-The Bills need a new marque player that's good with the media.
-Marv Levy wants the Bills to be the Bears-Light (which sounds kinda delicious)
-Their defensive coordinator is a former Bears staff member and Lovie prodigy.
-We traded draft picks last year.
-The 12 spot is a perfect location for the Bears to pick at. Likely either Willis or Okoye will be available. Or if not it's not too early to take Brown or Poz.

I wouldn't want to give up pick #37, but I'd definately part with our 3rd and 4th rounders.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:25 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
and have been pushing it all offseason long.
I notice you say this a lot, or something to this extent.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:26 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
I notice you say this a lot, or something to this extent.
I do? Well I post on here a lot, so I have a lot of thoughts. I've always thought that the Bills would be the most likely trade partner though.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wait, did I miss something? BF51 is Toonster?

I haven't checked this thread out in awhile and I skim through and see something of that sort, so Im curious.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:19 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2820470

Angelo says that no other teams have proposed a trade.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:38 AM    (permalink
bernbabybern820
Pro Bowler

bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

John Clayton reported on espn that the Bears are leaning towards not trading Briggs in the Redskins deal.

sig by jagfan33
Peyton Manning Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.
bernbabybern820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:40 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernbabybern820 View Post
John Clayton reported on espn that the Bears are leaning towards not trading Briggs in the Redskins deal.
No he didn't. He said that he thought there was a 60% chance of it getting done eventually.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Unless we get a better deal, Angelo best get this deal done. Although I don't know who we'd pick at 6, I'd say trade throw in 37 an 95 and get CJ. But the chances of that happening are slim to none.

sig by VLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I don't care...
Hurricane Ditka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:58 AM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No he didn't. He said that he thought there was a 60% chance of it getting done eventually.
And by the laws of Math, anything more than 50% is called "leaning" 51! ;)

I think the deal does get done but it'll be different than the original. Mainly we'll get a bit more IMO from the Deadskins.

Quote:
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:00 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernbabybern820 View Post
Wat the?! Are they stupid?

They'd rather hang on to a guy who has already announced he's holding out and who is definately NOT going to re-sign with the bears than to trade him to another team and move up from #31 to #6 in the draft?

They're insane.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:01 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post

They'd rather hang on to a guy who has already announced he's holding out and who is definately NOT going to re-sign with the bears than to trade him to another team and move up from #31 to #6 in the draft?

They're insane.
And you're questioning the guy who built us a SB team? Maybe he doesn't like the deal because of cap reasons. Maybe he wants to trade down but no one wants to trade up to 6. Maybe, just maybe he knows something we don't. Simma down dude and see how this plays out.

Quote:
Old 04-01-2007, 12:04 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
And by the laws of Math, anything more than 50% is called "leaning" 51! ;)

I think the deal does get done but it'll be different than the original. Mainly we'll get a bit more IMO from the Deadskins.
The previous poster said they were leaning towards NOT doing it.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:05 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post

They're insane.
Yes I'm sure they've lost their minds. You speak in definitives about something that nobody knows anything for sure about. Never a good idea.

I think they should take the deal, but it's not like the offer is going anywhere. We've got a few weeks.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:09 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
The previous poster said they were leaning towards NOT doing it.
I was kidding 51, as seen by my winky guy.

I too would pull the trigger on the trade but I don't know all the details either of what's going on. So I'll stay mum until something actually happens and until we get all the info on this thing. I trust JA to make the right move here and if he feels like the deal isn't good enough, then so be it.

Quote:
Old 04-01-2007, 12:11 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who exactly would the Bears pick at 6 is the important issue. Trade down? Landry? Quinn? Figure out someway to get Calvin Johnson? Joe Thomas?

sig by VLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I don't care...
Hurricane Ditka is offline   Reply With Quote