Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:58 AM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

KBear hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This proposed trade does have a wow factor in it. I'm really not sure who the Bears would plan to pick at #6. I would assume that Angelo would plan to trade down from that pick since he does not like paying the kind of money that the draft pick would ask for to a rookie. But to trade down, the Bears would need someone who would trade up, and I'm not sure who that will be.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:07 AM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

eacantdraft smells like sex panther.

The Bears should say yes to this trade before any sanity in the Redskins front office comes back (if there is any sanity during the Danny Snyder era).

If this trade goes down, the Bears are not getting Adrian Peterson, Brady Quinn. They don't need them. It will be for defensive help or Offensive line help.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:22 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the price tag is a little too much. Basically the value of the 16th overall pick. On top of that the Redskins might have to throw in a late round pick on top of MEGA contract they will have to sign him too. And this contract won't be like the ones they signed Arch and Randle El to that they can get out of anytime. This will have 20 million guaranteed.

I don't see why the Skins are so interested in Briggs. I thought they were high on McIntosh, one of the few draft picks they've kept recently. And they have Washington on the other side. Unless someone is switching to the middle.

Last edited by Jughead10 : 03-27-2007 at 07:24 AM.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:56 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Don't know if this has been said because I am not scrolling through 7 pages of replies, but imagine if this went down and the Bears used #6 on Patrick Willis.

Patrick Willis side by side with Brian Urlacher.

HOLY F-BALLS.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:04 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see any reason why they would make that trade. They just signed Fletcher, Marcus Washington is a stud and they drafted Rocky McIntosh in the 2nd last year. Washington has holes on the DL, they don't need a LB.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:08 AM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Unless WAS is gonna get CHI's 1st and their 2nd too than this is a load of crap.

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:15 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
I don't see any reason why they would make that trade. They just signed Fletcher, Marcus Washington is a stud and they drafted Rocky McIntosh in the 2nd last year. Washington has holes on the DL, they don't need a LB.
I forgot they signed Fletcher. Yeah this makes zero logical sense. So it must make sense to Snyder. The talent they can get at #31 on DL isn't even close to what they could get at #6. And to think, I actually thought the Redskins were getting smart and might trade down to 9-11 and aquire more picks for once.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:24 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ok let's look at the history of the last seven 6th picks in the draft, which is likely how long the deal would be.

2006-Vernon Davis
2005-Pac Man Jones
2004-Kellen Winslow
2003-Jonathan Sullivan
2002-Ryan Sims
2001-Richard Seymour
2000-Corey Simon

Of those seven drafts, Richard Seymour and maybe Kellen Winslow is/are the only ones that I consider a better deal than Briggs/late 1st.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:28 AM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That because Winslow is the man ;)

Honestly though, I think this isn't as bad as a trade as it sounds, the Skins get the 31'st pick in the draft and a YOUNG pro-bowl linebacker...

I wouldn't pull the trigger if I were the skins, but its not a BAD trade if they do.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:29 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's some of the best logic I've ever seen, the guys that went #6 before aren't as good as Briggs so the trade obviously makes sense.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:38 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Ok let's look at the history of the last seven 6th picks in the draft, which is likely how long the deal would be.

2006-Vernon Davis
2005-Pac Man Jones
2004-Kellen Winslow
2003-Jonathan Sullivan
2002-Ryan Sims
2001-Richard Seymour
2000-Corey Simon

Of those seven drafts, Richard Seymour and maybe Kellen Winslow is/are the only ones that I consider a better deal than Briggs/late 1st.
Whose to say those any of those GMs made the correct pick? I bet you in each draft there is someone extremely good who went 7-10 who could have just as easily been the 6th pick.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:58 AM    (permalink
frogstomp

TRADE!!!!!! I Just love seeing stuff go down...

anyways, speculation:

Not a horrible deal for the Redskins... LB is a need... quantity doesn't really equal quality, just ask the jets at DE. However, obviously it isn't as big a need as DL. So, I'm guessing with this they are feeling they can pick up some DL talent with 31 or a trade.

So, I'd say Bears get the better deal, but you people who are calling for Snyder's head and going on about how horrible this deal is for the 'Skins... relax. It's not that bad at all.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:08 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomp View Post
TRADE!!!!!! I Just love seeing stuff go down...

anyways, speculation:

Not a horrible deal for the Redskins... LB is a need... quantity doesn't really equal quality, just ask the jets at DE. However, obviously it isn't as big a need as DL. So, I'm guessing with this they are feeling they can pick up some DL talent with 31 or a trade.

So, I'd say Bears get the better deal, but you people who are calling for Snyder's head and going on about how horrible this deal is for the 'Skins... relax. It's not that bad at all.
No quantity, doesn't equate quality. But, Lemar Marshall has been a very solid backer and has been noted for his intelligent, smart play. He's been a capable starting backer ... with the only issue of being a poor fit for handling the rigors of the middle. Rocky McIntosh is an unknown ... but they did spend a 2nd round pick on him. Marcus Washington's "down" year could be attributed to the fact that he wasn't attacking and blitzing as much, and forced to do other things, otherwise, he's solid. These aren't bad backers ... and it's hard to say how much better Lance Briggs is than any of them, especially considering Briggs has to adjust systems.

As for value - Mid-first value isn't that bad, when you judge it by the franchise tag and the talent available.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:13 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Only the Skins.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:18 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post

2006-Vernon Davis
2005-Pac Man Jones
2004-Kellen Winslow
2003-Jonathan Sullivan
2002-Ryan Sims
2001-Richard Seymour
2000-Corey Simon

You can't go by that line of reasoning. Under that premise, the 1st pick in the draft doesn't mean much either, considering the high bust rate of 1st picks not living up to their potential.

Its the leverage you have as a team when you draft in that position that makes that pick so powerful. You can get multiple picks, trade up relatively easily, and get what is believed to be a future stud NFL player with your pick. While Im skeptical that this trade happens, the Skins have done crazier things before.

And Id laugh my ass off if they did this, because it makes the Giants lives a little easier.

Don't be surprised, if this deal does happen, if the Bears make a push for Joe Thomas. Quinn would be nice, but there is a bigger need at Tackle, and I wouldn't be surprised if Angelo rather go for the LT opposed to the qb.

Last edited by bigbluedefense : 03-27-2007 at 09:23 AM.
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:24 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

There is a good chance that Thomas and Quinn will both be gone by 6 and if this trade goes down, neither would be available at #6 for the Bears.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:25 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
There is a good chance that Thomas and Quinn will both be gone by 6 and if this trade goes down, neither would be available at #6 for the Bears.
They could move up if they want. Theyre a SB team, they don't have many holes, so if they really wanted one guy in particular, they could give up multiple picks for him and not miss a beat.

And Detroit has been shopping the 2nd pick for awhile now.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:27 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have high doubts about Angelo going OL there. I wouldn't be against it (as lukewarm as I am about Joe Thomas becoming a stud) ... but I can't see Angelo drafting a player at 6 that would have no shot at starting in year 1, and with Ruben Brown resigned, along with Fred Miller back, the starting 5 is back for one more run. I'd look for them to add a piece later, with the idea that the guy could have a shot in 2008-2009 when Brown and Miller, in all likelihood, would be out.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:32 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
I have high doubts about Angelo going OL there. I wouldn't be against it (as lukewarm as I am about Joe Thomas becoming a stud) ... but I can't see Angelo drafting a player at 6 that would have no shot at starting in year 1, and with Ruben Brown resigned, along with Fred Miller back, the starting 5 is back for one more run. I'd look for them to add a piece later, with the idea that the guy could have a shot in 2008-2009 when Brown and Miller, in all likelihood, would be out.
Its never a bad thing to take the Andy Reid philosophy and draft one year ahead of schedule. It makes for consistency.

Im not a huge fan of Thomas either, but GMs usually have a hard on for whoever is the "it" Tackle in each year's draft. So its a possibility.

Plus, I think Angelo is somewhat stubborn, and willing to give Grossman another chance. Remember, Brees was considered a dud, and SD reacted prematurely to finding his replacement with Rivers. Maybe Chicago doesn't want to make the same mistake?

And who else is worthy for their starting lineup at 6? The only guy I see is Calvin Johnson.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:33 AM    (permalink
frogstomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Its never a bad thing to take the Andy Reid philosophy and draft one year ahead of schedule. It makes for consistency.

Im not a huge fan of Thomas either, but GMs usually have a hard on for whoever is the "it" Tackle in each year's draft. So its a possibility.

Plus, I think Angelo is somewhat stubborn, and willing to give Grossman another chance. Remember, Brees was considered a dud, and SD reacted prematurely to finding his replacement with Rivers. Maybe Chicago doesn't want to make the same mistake?

And who else is worthy for their starting lineup at 6? The only guy I see is Calvin Johnson.
Well... well... D'Brick is sexier than thou!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:34 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomp View Post
Well... well... D'Brick is sexier than thou!
I actually liked DBrick. I felt he was worthy of the pick. Im not a fan of Joe Thomas. I see too much Gallery in him...
Old 03-27-2007, 09:35 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

The could take Landry and have a stud safety in a system that heavily depends on their coverage skills. Brown is always hurt and I know Bears fans aren't thrilled about the other guys there. They are good but not on the level that Landry could be.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:36 AM    (permalink
frogstomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I actually liked DBrick. I felt he was worthy of the pick. Im not a fan of Joe Thomas. I see too much Gallery in him...
Oh... in that case... you're almost as sexy as D'Brick.

*phew*

As a Jets fan, I was born with natural defensiveness.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:40 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

I think Andy Reid and Joe Banner (right ... too lazy to check right now) have a good philosophy with the draft. That said, I just don't see Angelo behaving that way, but who knows.

As noted, assuming that CJ is off the board, I think the two top names would be Patrick Willis or Laron Landry (and thus, I'd be fine with dealing down). There's a chance one of them is already off (Willis moreso than Landry). Willis could slide into the weakside backer spot fairly well, while Landry could be the FS, moving Danieal Manning to CB. Both are considered to be fairly low risk guys, which would go in line with Angelo's track record (even though I'm not gung ho about either becoming a stud player), and both would potentially fill key roles in a team whose window is now.

Personally, if it's between Willis or Landry, I'd rather deal ... up or down.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:40 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
The could take Landry and have a stud safety in a system that heavily depends on their coverage skills. Brown is always hurt and I know Bears fans aren't thrilled about the other guys there. They are good but not on the level that Landry could be.
Thats true...but would they use the 6th pick in the draft to go after another defensive player? Theyre fine on defense. I dont know, its a tough call.