Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Old 02-14-2012, 03:46 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Free Agency

Who do you like for the Rams to sign this offseason? A few guys I would like to see...

Cortland Finnegan, CB, Tennessee
Carlos Rogers, CB, San Francisco
Robert Meacham, WR, New Orleans
Anthony Gonzalez, WR, Indianapolis
Ben Grubbs, G, Baltimore
Brodrick Bunkley, DT, Denver
Michael Griffin, S, Tennessee
John Carlson, TE, Seattle
Marshawn Lynch, RB, Seattle
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:47 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Finnegan would be a great signing; familiar with the coaches and immediately steps into the starting line-up at a position decimated by injuries last year. Add Jason Jones to the list of Titans players who I'd like to see the Rams kick the wheels on.

At receiver, I say go big or go home. Target either Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe and see if you can land one. If you can, great. If you can't, oh well. Landing one shouldn't take Blackmon out of contention in the first round though, IMO. Let's get Sam some weapons.

I don't think the interior of the line needs more free agent money. The Rams have spent and spent and spent there and it's still kind of bleh. Dahl is fine @ RG, Brown could be a cap casualty, but I'd like to see what Bell does under his former coach before giving up completely on him. A mid-round interior lineman would be my preference over another free agent.

I think given Schottenheimer's addition and his previous experience with a second running back, I'd look for an upgrade behind Steven Jackson. Maybe a Mike Tolbert, BJGE, or someone else. Wouldn't hurt to look in the draft if they think they'd like to add someone who could start for this team in 2-3 years.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:53 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I must admit that I didn't watch much of the Titans this year. I believe that Fisher is a great evaluator, though, and he will probably bring in several of his guys as they become available. The one theme that I have been finding the more I read on Fisher is that he is loyal to those that do right by him, and that players and coaches alike want to be around him and work hard for him.

I have to agree with you as far as the wide receiver situation. The last thing we need is another receiver with "potential." We have plenty of guys with "potential" that have yet to step up and make something happen.

As far as the interior linemen go, I recently read an article about Fisher liking to build his lines first. While I agree that we have spent a lot on them, and probably overspent at that, I am of the opinion that you can't have too many good linemen. I also like your idea of a mid-rounder as well, and would be satisfied with that. I have often thought in the past that if a team used its 3rd round pick on the best available lineman every year then they would build a solid line with hard-working, lunchpail linemen.

You know who really intrigues me at running back is LaMichael James from Oregon. He is tougher than a lot of people think; while he isn't the classic "bruiser," he can run between the tackles and get lost beneath the pile. He has excellent hands and fantastic speed. Kind of reminds me of LeSean McCoy. I'm not sure that he becomes a primary back in the NFL, but I think he would be an excellent "lightning" to Jackson's "thunder." It would be great if he fell to the 3rd round.

I read an article the other day about Albert Haynesworth being cut, and it suggested that possible landing spots would be the Rams or Lions, due to their coaches' ties to him from his days in Tennessee. I have to say that, while my initial reaction was "Oh HELL NO!", I was really pleased with my next thought, which was, "If Fisher decides to go that route then I totally trust him." What a refreshing feeling! I haven't fully trusted a Rams coach since Vermeil, and that took me a while to fully buy into. Pretty cool, huh?
Old 02-20-2012, 05:48 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm interested to see what the Rams do as far as cuts go and restructures. Right now we don't have a ton of money to spend on Free Agents, if any. I think the Rams have roughly 3 million to spend right now.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:52 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

That's interesting. I could have sworn I read a couple weeks ago that the Rams had one of the best cap situations in the league. For some reason $30 million in cap space comes to mind.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:52 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In this article, Howard Balzer makes it sound as if the Rams have around $15 million in cap space, and that's prior to their RFAs and ERFAs.

http://www.101espn.com/category/hbal...p-on-for-Size/

$125.675 million (Rams cap) - $110 million (Rams' top 51 players) ~ $15 million or so
Old 02-21-2012, 01:04 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
In this article, Howard Balzer makes it sound as if the Rams have around $15 million in cap space, and that's prior to their RFAs and ERFAs.

http://www.101espn.com/category/hbal...p-on-for-Size/

$125.675 million (Rams cap) - $110 million (Rams' top 51 players) ~ $15 million or so

Yeah but don't teams usually need around 5 million in cap space for rookies? That leaves around 5-10 million for free agents. And when the RFA and ERFA's are all signed I'm guessing we'll have roughly 5 million.

Unless I'm reading it wrong.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:16 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Wow, it really is amazing when you see how a handful of players take up so much of the dough. If I'm the Rams I think I would probably cut loose of Bartell (assuming this saves significantly against the cap) and insist on a pay cut for Smith. We are starting all over anyway so we might as well get our fiscal house in order and cut out any dead weight.

Boy, Long sure is in the driver's seat going into his contract year isn't he? With such a huge cap number his franchise tag number would be upwards of $20 million if we don't get a deal in place by this time next year.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:12 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Yeah but don't teams usually need around 5 million in cap space for rookies?
Eventually, yes. But a lot can happen between then and now to create or eat up cap room. Having said all that, the $15 million figure seems to be the most accurate current projection.