Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 01-03-2012, 11:09 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
Meh, you have 4 quarters to win it in regulation. If you can't do it then don't complain about not getting your fair chance in overtime.
The team who wins the toss wins the game about 70% of the time...and that number seems to be going up in recent years. It's dumb that the game comes down to that. If the team who gets the ball scores a touchdown, sure, stop the game there....but I'm completely against anything that puts one player in a position to decide the results of a game that they don't actually play in.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:14 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wrong^

Quote:
Stats on Overtime Coin Tosses (1974-2003)

The NFL has had 325 overtime games since the rule was adopted in 1974. The results:

Both teams have had possession 235 times (72.3%).
The team that has won the toss has won 169 times (52.0%).
The team that has lost the toss has won 141 times (43.4%).
223 games were decided by a field goal (68.6%).
86 games were decided by a TD (26.5%).
One game was decided by a safety (0.3%).
There have been 15 ties (4.6%).

Source: NFL

*It seems fair but these numbers are somewhat misleading because in 1994 a rule changed moved the kickoff back 5 yards to the 30 yard line (those numbers were based on data from 1973-2003). Since then, it's been about 60%. Prior to the rule change, the coin toss had no predictive value for deciding who would eventually win the game. Since 1994, the coin flip winner has a clear advantage.

For the NFL, consider that the new kickoff rule gives the receiving team less of an advantage.

For college, consider that FG kickers aren't as accurate/lack the range of NFL kickers.

And I think you'd be looking at ADVANTAGE for the team that wins the coin toss and chooses to receive but not any overwhelming advantage. Besides, the team that wins the toss with the current college rule has an advantage by getting to play D first...

- Ko Simpson
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:18 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's all cool, except for the 2003 part. I don't have a source on a more definitive link, but that's a figure I've heard mentioned on broadcasts before. The game has changed just a tiny bit since 2003, and tons since 1974(and 1994 for that matter), both with regards to how fast and efficiently offenses are able to gain yardage and the range/accuracy of the kicking game.

60% is too high anyway. The score is tied; both teams have played evenly. Why give any kind of advantage to the team that won some arbitrary coin flip?

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 01-03-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:52 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
I'm happy for Hoke. He's ten times the guy RichRod is.
Proud to be Blue. Play right, win, run a great University.

Sometimes it is hard to recruit that nowadays but you have to.
yanksknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:05 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Va Tech got screwed. Makes me sick. much fichigan.

The thing about college replay is that the refs and replay officials in college blow calls so much more than they do in the NFL. I also think that they should do it like the NFL where you have to challenge calls (with only 2 challenges) except for on scoring plays and under 2 minutes to play. They stop and review plays waaaaaaay too often in college football. That's why they limit it in the NFL.

College OT rules aren't that good either. Totally benefits offensive teams. you can lose 10 yards and still make a field goal. If they're gonna start in opponent territory it should be on the 35 or 40 instead of the 25.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:22 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I'm always excited to get to see Sammy Watkins play. I'm very interested to see Andre Branch play as well. He really stood out to me this year whenever I got to see Clemson play, in spite of his reputation of being overrated going into the season.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-04-2012, 07:44 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Clemson has some serious speed.

If Taj Boyd wasn't a less-accurate version of Donovan McNabb (yes, apparently that is in fact possible) they'd be a team to fear next year.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:45 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Impressive burst by Ellington.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:52 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
how the hell is west virginia in a bowl game*... i hate the bcs. (*sorry in a big bowl game)
That's more the fault of the Big East than the BCS. Their day of reckoning is coming soon though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Clemson has some serious speed.

If Taj Boyd wasn't a less-accurate version of Donovan McNabb (yes, apparently that is in fact possible) they'd be a team to fear next year.
Boyd has effective stretches, but yeah, I agree. With a good quarterback(like Geno Smith, for example), they could possibly be a factor in the top ten next season.

Like what I see from Andre Branch so far. He missed a tackle badly behind the line of scrimmage on the first, but he's displayed good burst and power so far.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-04-2012, 07:55 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Boyd has effective stretches, but yeah, I agree. With a good quarterback(like Geno Smith, for example), they could possibly be a factor in the top ten next season.
Stretches perhaps, but I've seen him badly overthrow a quick screen pass to a RB out of the backfield. That may have been the worst non-Blane Gabbert related play by a QB I saw in football this year.

No...second worst. Matt McGloin threw a pick on a WR screen because he has no arm strength. He literally floated a screen pass that was picked off.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:03 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea Boyd just rockets everything and lets it fall where it may. Don't really think he has the work ethic to improve a whole bunch either.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:05 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
meh, i blame the BCS for giving a pathetic conference an auto-bid. bad enough that even clemson is in it.
There are only 2 good teams in college football this year (and that's pushing it, seriously, Jordan Jefferson vs AJ McCarron is the championship), so it's not really the BCS fault.

SAMMY ******* WATKINS.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 01-04-2012, 08:06 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Boyd just doesn't have a very good feel for the passing game. Not a prospect to me. Decent potential backup though, he has some physical skills.

Watkins however, is an absolute stud. Closest thing to a lock top fifteen pick that you can get as a true freshmen.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-04-2012, 08:07 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

I don't think it'll be as bad as Stephen Garcia was for South Carolina though. When they were talked about as a championship contender before this season, I compared him to a Rex Grossman who has more "Bad Rex" than "Good Rex" days. And now he's not on the team anymore.

But I think Boyd's lack of accuracy is going to hurt the team at least once or twice.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:08 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Agreed on Watkins. Holy dear god is that kid good. I'm pretty sure he's younger than my little brother, which makes me feel old as hell, but he'll be a GREAT on in the NFL. Speed and work ethic? Hell yeah.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:10 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Quote:
maybe, but it annoys me that, even if there were 10 amazing teams, this would still be the orange bowl.
Big East clearly needs Miami back.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 01-04-2012, 08:13 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

That should hold up. Austin is having a very good game so far.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-04-2012, 08:17 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

That right there is why NCAA needs spot foul DPI penalties.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:39 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

DeAndre Hopkins can play a little bit too. It will be interesting to see how he shapes up as well.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-04-2012, 08:39 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like Bruce Irvin.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:40 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I sure hope Andre Branch has a great game. My dad works with his parents.

Duke Blue Devils
2010 National Champions!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:41 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
I don't think it'll be as bad as Stephen Garcia was for South Carolina though. When they were talked about as a championship contender before this season, I compared him to a Rex Grossman who has more "Bad Rex" than "Good Rex" days. And now he's not on the team anymore.
I'm not sure what championship you're talking about, since even with a good Garcia we wouldn't have been able to compete with Bama/LSU, but had Connor Shaw started against Auburn, I'm confident we would have been SEC East champs. Shaw has a long way to go as a passer, but he doesn't make nearly as many dumb mistakes and is much more athletic. Garcia had the potential to be a good quarterback for SC, but his absolute lack of anything related to work ethic put an end to that. That's why I can't possibly fathom why Scott still has him ranked as an actual quarterback prospect, and above a prospect like Case Keenum, who at the very least has a slight chance of making it in the pros.

As for Watkins, he's the real deal. Should be the unquestioned number one receiver whenever he comes out. Literally has everything you want as a receiver, and applies it.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:44 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
I'm not sure what championship you're talking about, since even with a good Garcia we wouldn't have been able to compete with Bama/LSU, but had Connor Shaw started against Auburn, I'm confident we would have been SEC East champs. Shaw has a long way to go as a passer, but he doesn't make nearly as many dumb mistakes and is much more athletic. Garcia had the potential to be a good quarterback for SC, but his absolute lack of anything related to work ethic put an end to that. That's why I can't possibly fathom why Scott still has him ranked as an actual quarterback prospect, and above a prospect like Case Keenum, who at the very least has a slight chance of making it in the pros.

As for Watkins, he's the real deal. Should be the unquestioned number one receiver whenever he comes out. Literally has everything you want as a receiver, and applies it.
There was seriously legitimate talk of it in a thread like this at the end of last season. It wasn't far fetched I didn't think. Unlikely, as you say, with LSU and Bama in the conference alone, but with Alshon, Lattimore, and some good players on defense, there was a shot. I mean you won 11 games even with the QB controversy mid-season.

But not with Garcia.

And wow, the momentum has swung in this one.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:44 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow wtf just happened.

Duke Blue Devils
2010 National Champions!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:45 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

That's a cluster****, but it looks like it should stand.

R.I.P. Junior Seau