Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who will win between the Saints at the Niners
New Orleans 29 61.70%
San Francisco 18 38.30%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2012, 10:35 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Shouldn't you be out partying?
Went out for a bite to eat. It's only 8:34PM here.

By the way, I'm already worn out from earlier.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:37 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was watching the game at a friend's house, and one of his non-football-watching roommates came out, saw Justin Smith devouring Jermon Bushrod and Drew Brees at the same time, and said he thought Justin Smith shouldn't be allowed to play football, because he was too dangerous.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
I was watching the game at a friend's house, and one of his non-football-watching roommates came out, saw Justin Smith devouring Jermon Bushrod and Drew Brees at the same time, and said he thought Justin Smith shouldn't be allowed to play football, because he was too dangerous.
I am pretty sure he is a bikie gang enforcer in the offseason.
Timbathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:55 PM    (permalink
Wodwo
Rookie

Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodwo View Post
I'm not saying this is the only factor or the determining factor, but I thought it might be interesting to some people who enjoy looking at situational stats. I've always felt that the playoffs are just a different beast than the regular season, but unfortunately the current 49ers have no playoff statistics to look at. Heh.

Drew Brees on grass in 2011:

160/230 for 1,849 yards 9 TDs 6 INTs 95.7 rating

Alex Smith at home in 2011:

131/209 for 1,620 yards 12 TDS 3 INTs 99.8 rating

Interpret that however you like. Personally, I'm scared to death of Jimmy Graham.
Sometimes statistics actually mean something. Heh.
Wodwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:24 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodwo View Post
Sometimes statistics actually mean something. Heh.
You are comparing home vs away statistics. Not fair.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:58 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At least we know now who the better team is finally!! Go 49ers!!
49erNation85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:16 AM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
At least we know now who the better team is finally!! Go 49ers!!
Not to take anything away from the 49ers, it was a great win, but I still think the Saints were the better team.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:16 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It seems fair to say that Alex Smith was actually a very good use of the 49ers #1 overall pick in 2005. Had he been surrounded by a better organization prior to this season, he might be an established franchise QB by now. Aaron Rodgers would obviously have been a better choice, but that doesn't make Smith a bad pick.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:30 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
It seems fair to say that Alex Smith was actually a very good use of the 49ers #1 overall pick in 2005. Had he been surrounded by a better organization prior to this season, he might be an established franchise QB by now. Aaron Rodgers would obviously have been a better choice, but that doesn't make Smith a bad pick.
It's possible that if he had a coach / team that was better, he would have performed like this sooner. But it's also possible that no matter how good the team around him was, he just needed lots and lots of time to put it all together.

I'm not trying to knock on Smith or anything. My concern is that a lot of QB's have done more with an equivalent situations. I just find it to easy to blame everyone else rather than putting the responsibility on the person who is ultimately responsible for their performance.

Either way though, I'm really happy for him and more importantly the organization. To often in the NFL (and most sports, really) are we so quick to judge a player. I look at the Sanchez thread and how many people want to get rid of him, and I fear that if they do it will only end in regret. Though his situation is slightly different, as his team is really built to win now, while the 49ers weren't.

Also, the Saints played a really good game too. They made a lot of critical mistakes, but they still fought hard into the end of the game. I know there is a pretty big section of these forums that loves tough football with good defense, but this one was fun to watch :)
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:43 AM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A good quarter against a bad defense and now Alex Smith is a franchise QB? Oh man....
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:48 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
Not to take anything away from the 49ers, it was a great win, but I still think the Saints were the better team.
That's fine. They certainly weren't today.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2012, 02:01 AM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great game by Alex Smith. Tim Tebow had one of those kind of games last week, though. I like Smith as a midlevel NFL QB that can win you games. I don't think that kind of performance is likely to be seen again, though.
mqtirishfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:04 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alex Smith: "At least I'm not Brady Quinn."
Old 01-15-2012, 02:22 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post
Great game by Alex Smith. Tim Tebow had one of those kind of games last week, though. I like Smith as a midlevel NFL QB that can win you games. I don't think that kind of performance is likely to be seen again, though.
Hopefully it won't have to, and whoever we face, we won't have to go down to the wire for a win.

Alex isn't Tebow, and the 49ers aren't the Broncocs. Even during the times we've lost, our games are always close usually within one score because of our D.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2012, 02:22 AM    (permalink
Wodwo
Rookie

Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wodwo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
You are comparing home vs away statistics. Not fair.
Sarcasm meter broken.

That was the point of my post. Situational statistics.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:35 AM    (permalink
Wodwo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
This play:

Old 01-15-2012, 04:23 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 01-15-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:08 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basileus777 View Post
A good quarter against a bad defense and now Alex Smith is a franchise QB? Oh man....

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:33 AM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN View Post
Is Willis 100% yet? Another thing is the Saints have trouble with TE's right?
I'd say they struggled a little last night. They played man on him so they could blitz and Davis took advantage of it. Walker was missing and manning up on him can be a problem too.
Rabscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:21 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rooting for the Niners yesterday, which is not too common, I came away with these clear thoughts:

#1- Obviously, the offense and Alex came up big time clutch. That's big ballz there from Alex.

#2- Justin Smith, not Navarro Bowman or Patrick Willis, is the best player on that Niners defense. But those LBers, and the DBs, tackle like freaking beasts (except on those 2 big scores late by Graham and Sproles). Most of the time, they were right on Sproles when he caught the ball... tackling I am not used to seeing as my Packers defense tackles like high school kids.

#3- Overall passing offense was awful for 3/4 of the game. I am accustomed to seeing precision passing & catching, and I was amazed at how bad it was... I saw open Crabtree easy slant, throw at his toes, drop. Next pass, perfect pass and he dropped it.
And it seems like almost all of Crabtree's routes were slants. Balls batted down on the 6' 4" Smith.... the playcalling and passing was awful.

#4- Vernon Davis. Was he more impressive than even Gronkowski yesterday? Now I really wish we had draftedf VD at #5 instead of AJ Hawk back in 2006. Davis did what we dream J-Mike would ever do. VD is faster, stronger, more aggressive, and has better hands, than J-Mike.

#5- The OL..... they didn't have their best game, but they opened up just enough holes, and the one big run from Gore in the 4th quarter that led to the FG was a great blocked play, as was the Alex keeper for the TD around the left edge.

#6- Harbaugh is just a great coach. He was a gritty smart player, and that's the type of guy who makes a great coach quite often.

These guys are contenders now, and if they can add a WR or 2, and refine that passing game, they're here to stay. Especially in that division. Hard to believe the Rams almost won it last year.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:38 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Rodgers and Smith haven't really been linked with each other the same way as other quarterbacks from the same draft class. That and the vast gap in success between the two really takes away from that storyline.
How have they not been linked in the same way? Every time Rodgers sitting around in the green room gets brought up, it comes back to Alex Smith being the #1 overall pick and not him. Aaron Rodgers was a California kid growing up, pretty sure he was a huge Niner fan as was his family. I'm not sure how many other QB combos from the same draft class could be linked together more.

I get that the success between the two hasn't been close, but the past doesn't matter if they are both facing off for a shot at the SB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:42 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well technically, he's been a franchise QB without much of a franchise for the last seven years. I dont think ppl remember just how talent deprived the Niners were back in 2005 when Alex came into the league. And I don't think ppl remember just how bad our play was under defensive minded morons like Nolan and Singletary. But enough about the past. He just beat the best statsical QB in NFL history. You can call him whatever you want. The guy will only get better with a entire off-season under Jimbaugh to get into the offense and work on his mechanics and the finer points of the position. I don't think ppl realize that due to the lockout, we're only playing with about 70% of the playbook. This offense and Alex should be better by leaps and bounds next year.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:50 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
How have they not been linked in the same way? Every time Rodgers sitting around in the green room gets brought up, it comes back to Alex Smith being the #1 overall pick and not him. Aaron Rodgers was a California kid growing up, pretty sure he was a huge Niner fan as was his family. I'm not sure how many other QB combos from the same draft class could be linked together more.

I get that the success between the two hasn't been close, but the past doesn't matter if they are both facing off for a shot at the SB.
Not only was he a huge Niner fan, he said he wore a Joe Montana jersey under his uniform at Cal. I read that he absolutely wanted to be a Niner on draft day in 2005. If they face off for the NFC Championship, it will be a HUGE storyline leading up to the game. Plus the fact that McCarthy, who was the OC for the Niners that year, told Nolan and the GM that he thought Alex would be the better pro.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's a simple minded argument. Smith has started many games for the 49ers, including all 14 of the games they've won so far this year.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
That's a simple minded argument. Smith has started many games for the 49ers, including all 14 of the games they've won so far this year.
And he was thoroughly mediocre for most of those games.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote