Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 04:44 PM    (permalink
Juice24
Rookie

Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.

Thats about another $10mil though
Old 03-12-2012, 05:33 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sad news on Bartell. I mean you could see it coming, but still....Ron has been my favoite Ram since Torry Holt.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:32 PM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's an awful lot of starting players from last year gone. The only one that I think you can say we already have the replacement on the roster is Quinn for Hall, Wragge was better than Brown admittedly, but that's not a glowing reference by any means.

I have faith in Fisher when it comes to DT's though, maybe they're already on Jason Jones and plan to go earlyish in the draft for his partner.

Both Bartell and Hall I'll miss, Bartell was the ability to catch away from being a very good corner with us at times, and Hall always gave his all. Good luck to em.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:38 PM    (permalink
tfry
Rookie

tfry hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
I completely disagree. I can definitely see this happening, especially if Manning goes to either Denver or Arizona, and Flynn goes to Cleveland. This would leave Miami and Seattle both in serious need of a qb, without much else available. While the top 5 is a definite reach for Tannehill, we are seeing a lot of old rules go out the window come draft time in the last few years, especially since the rookie salary cap came into play. The draft value chart has gone out the window and so has the common sense of teams looking for a franchise qb. Not saying it will for sure hppen, but if it does I won't be shocked.

What could even be more compelling is if Manning goes to Denver or Arizona and Flynn goes to Seattle. Now you have Cleveland and Miami, both desperate for a QB, fighting for the right to draft Tannehill, who is a very raw prospect with a high ceiling. If this happens then I think Minnesota's phone starts ringing and Tannehill actually goes at #3. This insures us of getting either Kalil, Claiborne or Blackmon. It actually gives us a chance at Kalil, because I think Cleveland has to pass and probably takes Blackmon, while Tampa probably takes Claiborne.

As far as what we do if we stay put, and this trade doesn't happen, I am more and more thinking along the lines of us taking Richardson. He isn't high on the need chart, but I see this regime taking the BPA approach, and he would fit the bill if Kalil, Claiborne and Blackmon are all gone. He is definitely the kind of back that Fisher likes, and Jackson isn't getting any younger. While I think they would really like to have Blackmon fall to them, I think they also realize that there will be some very good receivers available at #34.
I theory that sounds great with Tannehill, but if Manning goes to the Cardinals, then Kolb is available. I see Heckert grabbing the former Eagle before Tannehill. There is also Bandon Weeden in the 2nd who will be there.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the Rams trade down if Kalil, Clairborne, or Blackmon aren't available, but I don't see a team trading up for Tannehill.

With the recent cuts I see the Rams with a need at RB, WR (2), LT, G, C, DT (2), OLB (2), S, CB. That's 12 starting spots we need to address. Hopefully we spend our cash right in Free Agency.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rams are roughly 21.6 million under the cap now.

Rumors are they'll restructure Jason Smith's contract and extend Chris Long's which combined should save them another 10 million. So tomorrow could be pretty exciting.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:58 PM    (permalink
Juice24
Rookie

Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.Juice24 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Rams are roughly 21.6 million under the cap now.

Rumors are they'll restructure Jason Smith's contract and extend Chris Long's which combined should save them another 10 million. So tomorrow could be pretty exciting.
They have to be more than that, cuts today saved around 18 million alone and you can combine that with all their UFAs that wont come back from last season. Unless they were way over the cap last year since it was uncapped.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:04 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With free agency only hours away and the draft quickly approaching, I thought I'd look at the roster and make an overall list of needs for the Rams. Feel free to agree, disagree, discuss, whatever. I didn't list every single need I could think of, but the ones I thought most Rams fans would agree with. Hopefully this helps some of the mock-makers on the site. Needs are listed in no particular order. It'll be interesting to see how the Rams address some of these positions.

RUNNING BACK
Description: The Rams have a talented, established runner in Steven Jackson, but they’ve spent years trying to find a capable back-up to work behind him. At this point in Jackson’s career, the Rams may not just need a viable back-up, but an heir apparent to Jackson’s backfield.
Need: Back-up/future starting running back

WIDE RECEIVER:
Description: Since the decline of Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce, the Rams have struggled to find legitimate starting wide receivers. In-house options like Brandon Gibson and Danario Alexander were underwhelming. Mark Clayton showed flashes before an injury took him out of the running. A trade for Brandon Lloyd was promising but didn’t turn out as fans expected, and now the Rams are poised to let Lloyd leave in free agency. The Rams need not one but two new starters at receiver.
Need: Two (2) starting wide receivers

OFFENSIVE LINE
Description: One could make the argument that the Rams’ offensive line is in shambles. Roger Saffold took a big step back in 2011; is he still this team’s left tackle? Jason Smith remains a big disappointment, and may still be asked to take a pay cut to remain with the team. Harvey Dahl is solid at one guard spot, but Jacob Bell is a free agent who may not return, and the Rams lack an anchoring force at center.
Need: Center, left guard, possibly offensive tackle

DEFENSIVE TACKLE
Description: When Steve Spagnuolo came to St. Louis, he brought big Fred Robbins with him, and Robbins enjoyed a quality first season with the team. But he declined sharply in 2011, and joined Justin Bannan on the cut list. With Darell Scott and Jermelle Cudjo the only established tackles on the roster, this spot needs a major retool.
Need: Two (2) starting defensive tackles

OUTSIDE LINEBACKER
Description: Brady Poppinga and Ben Leber were big free agent disappointments last year. Chris Chamberlain saw time in the line-up but he’s a free agent. Bryan Kehl was a Spagnuolo player from New York that played situationally but likely won’t be asked back. This position remains a thorn in the side of the Rams.
Need: Two (2) starting outside linebackers

CORNERBACK
Description: Starting cornerbacks Ron Bartell and Bradley Fletcher suffered season-ending injuries last year; Bartell has been cut by the team and Fletcher is rehabbing his second ACL tear. Replacing Bartell in the starting line-up will be an offseason priority, and the Rams need to carefully monitor Fletcher’s progress. The Rams also have some situational depth in Jerome Murphy and Josh Gordy, but competitive wouldn’t hurt.
Need: Starting cornerback, possibly depth

PUNTER
Description: Donnie Jones is a free agent this year, following his worst season with the Rams. Prior to that, Jones was punting at a high level, high enough that the Rams considered placing the transition tag on him before the deadline this offseason. That shows they’re interested, so it’s possible they’ll work something out. If they don’t, the hole will need filling.
Need: Punter
Old 03-13-2012, 10:32 AM    (permalink
tfry
Rookie

tfry hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Nice write up NG! I agree with everything you said. Here are the FAs I'd like to see the Rams take a look at based off of your list:

RB- Prefer to address in the draft.

WR - Josh Morgan. The guy would be a solid #2 and does a great job blocking. He is one of the more underrated receivers in the league. I don't think we have the funds to sign VJax, Meachem, or Manningham. Colston is to injury prone imo.

OL - Carl Nicks. Would love to see us get arguably the nastiest Guard in the NFL. He'd cost a fortune so it might not work out. Ben Grubbs would also be a nice player to get.

DT - Jason Jones.

OLB - Address the position in the draft.

CB - Cortland Finnegan.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:03 PM    (permalink
Juice24
Rookie

Good read man, heres my views.

RB - Fill in the draft, but dont reach for someone.

WR - This is the first offseason for the new regime so I would just want one guy this year. Id let Gibson and DX battle it out for the 2nd receiver spot, Im a big believer that competition makes both players better.

OL - Im in the minority, but I think Saffold needs another shot at LT. He was a pro bowl reserve in his rookie year in Shurmurs offense, which is similar to Schottys. Other than that Id like to keep it young and cheap. When the Titans had the best OL in the league Fisher drafted 4 of his starters in 2 years with only one player taken above the 3rd, Michael Roos LT. So Id like this filled in the draft.

DT - I have no idea, Fisher used the quick 1 gap penetrators in TEN (Jason Jones, Haye) and Williams used big 2 gap hosses in NO (Ellis, Franklin) and JAX (Stroud, Henderson). I dont guess on this one, I sit back and watch.

OLB - I like Chamberlain and want to see him stay. At the other spot Id like a two down thumper that can take on FBs and shed OL blocks, Mayber Joe Mays.

CB - Finnegan's my favorite corner in the league after Winfield. I like alot of the corners in the draft, but would only draft for depth if Fletcher will be able to return.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:49 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just to clarify the cap situation a bit more, this is from a Jim Thomas article published today in the Post-Dispatch:

Quote:
With the salary cap staying flat this year at $120.6 million, the Rams cleared up nearly $20 million of salary cap space by deciding to release five starters:

• Center Jason Brown ($2.8 million cap savings), defensive tackle Fred Robbins ($4 million) and defensive tackle Justin Bannan ($2.75 million) were released Monday.

• Cornerback Ron Bartell ($6.25 million) and defensive end James Hall ($3 million) will be released today.

Interviewed before all of those moves were made official, Snead said he would decline to comment on the cuts until later in the week.

But just like that, the Rams went from about $10 million in cap space to about $30 million, giving them ample resources to be active shoppers in free agency.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Juice24
Rookie

Saw on CBS rapidrepots that Rams have had no contact with Finnegan and are targeting Carlos Rodgers. That wouldnt totally upset me, but Ill always think that Finnegan is the better player
Old 03-13-2012, 02:21 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice24 View Post
Saw on CBS rapidrepots that Rams have had no contact with Finnegan and are targeting Carlos Rodgers. That wouldnt totally upset me, but Ill always think that Finnegan is the better player
Technically they shouldn't be allowed to before the start of free agency though, right?

EDIT: Adam Schefter just said on ESPN that Finnegan is scheduled to visit the Rams this week.

Last edited by NGSeiler : 03-13-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Juice24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
Technically they shouldn't be allowed to before the start of free agency though, right?

EDIT: Adam Schefter just said on ESPN that Finnegan is scheduled to visit the Rams this week.
I saw that too, apparently its tomorrow. and apparently they have interest in tract porter

Last edited by Juice24 : 03-13-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:43 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Rams also talking with WR Pierre Garcon, and are said to be interested in CB Tracy Porter.

EDIT: Garcon announces via Facebook he'll sign with Redskins, scratch him off the list.

Last edited by NGSeiler : 03-13-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Juice24
Rookie

Looks like Bucs are close to a deal with Vincent Jackson
Old 03-13-2012, 04:08 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Jim Thomas is reporting that the Rams are trying to get Saints WR Robert Meachem to come to town tomorrow.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:16 PM    (permalink
Juice24
Rookie

Quote:
Jim Thomas is reporting that the Rams are trying to get Saints WR Robert Meachem to come to town tomorrow.
thats awesome he was my first FA WR option after Colston, Redskins think the are close to getting Josh Morgan
Old 03-13-2012, 04:18 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

DT Jason Jones visiting Rams tonight

https://twitter.com/#!/jthom1/status/179677457115385858
Old 03-13-2012, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Juice24
Rookie

Quote:
DT Jason Jones visiting Rams tonight

https://twitter.com/#!/jthom1/status/179677457115385858
With the cuts yesterday my guess is that he visits and stays the night so he can go condo shopping tomorrow afternoon
Old 03-13-2012, 06:48 PM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jason Jones made sense prior to the cuts, he's now almost a must have. Fingers crossed that gets sorted quickly.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:12 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Eric Winston will visit the Rams.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:51 PM    (permalink
Juice24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Eric Winston will visit the Rams.
Now that is some great news. Still havent heard anything about Jason Smith though? If he restructures or gets cut?
Old 03-13-2012, 08:31 PM    (permalink
Juice24
Rookie

Looks like the Rams are set to sign Finnegan via Pro Football Focus

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...-day-1-031312/

Last edited by Juice24 : 03-13-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:34 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Rams, CB Finnegan agree on five-year $50 million deal

https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/...41216433381376
Old 03-13-2012, 08:50 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Nice signing for the Rams. Would like to see how much of it is guaranteed.