Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:24 PM    (permalink
GaMeTiMe
Veteran

GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What kind of trade commodities do the Raiders have that they can dangle for picks? I'm sure there are a few young, promising players McKenzie is inheriting that he isn't quite fond of and other teams are. Maybe one of the top-3 WRs? Michael Bush under the franchise tag? A front 7 player that won't fit in the 3-4?

They're going to be running a new scheme on defense and are probably going to have to overhaul a lot of the defensive roster. That'll have to include some group of draft picks and I don't see how they don't add a pick or two from now until April.
GaMeTiMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:40 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This whole Oakland situation is fascinating! They have a draft and develop minded GM but have no draft picks, they have a QB that is overpaid and underperforming that RM has no ties too and they have a lot of players they could get rid of on big salaries which could free up money for free agents but then that would go against RM's philosophies. They are also changing defensive schemeso they have questions surrounding where to play players and what to do with the players that dont fit the scheme.

Oaklands offseason is definitely one to watch!

RIP themaninblack

Last edited by SuperPacker : 01-12-2012 at 02:44 PM.
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is it a sure thing we're switching schemes or is everyone just assuming we are?

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:47 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the choice is Winston Moss he has experience in both 3-4 and 4-3 so scheme change may not be imminent.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:55 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderz4life View Post
Is it a sure thing we're switching schemes or is everyone just assuming we are?
I just assumed it was because everyone else is speaking like it is.

RIP themaninblack
Old 01-12-2012, 03:08 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
I just assumed it was because everyone else is speaking like it is.
I'm a big 43 guy but idc either way, just wanted to know if it was a sure thing. A hybrid type D would be pretty awesome imo.

Props to BK for the sig
Quote:
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:38 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I'm a big 43 guy but idc either way, just wanted to know if it was a sure thing. A hybrid type D would be pretty awesome imo.
What would be the best fir for the players that you have? You could have Houston and Seymour/Kelly DE, Wimbley at ROLB, McClain and Curry at ILB but then you would maybe need to go and get a NT and a LOLB. You could stick with the 4-3 which seems like a better fit for the players you have.

Im a 3-4 guy though. I think a 3-4 with the right personel is better than a 4-3 with the right players however i dont agree with forcing players to play in places the shouldnt.

They could slowly build a 3-4 defense through the draft and free agency but that will be hard with no picks and RM prefering to not spend big in free agency.

RIP themaninblack
Old 01-12-2012, 04:01 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Quote:
What would be the best fir for the players that you have? You could have Houston and Seymour/Kelly DE, Wimbley at ROLB, McClain and Curry at ILB but then you would maybe need to go and get a NT and a LOLB. You could stick with the 4-3 which seems like a better fit for the players you have.

Im a 3-4 guy though. I think a 3-4 with the right personel is better than a 4-3 with the right players however i dont agree with forcing players to play in places the shouldnt.

They could slowly build a 3-4 defense through the draft and free agency but that will be hard with no picks and RM prefering to not spend big in free agency.
If we are going to switch a hybrid defense may be our best choice. Start getting the guys we're going to keep experience in the 3-4 while keeping the 4-3 as our base. NT will be our no. 1 priority since they're vital and I don't believe we had one. I still remember the last time we tried running the 3-4 with Sapp and Kelly at DE and Ted Washington and Terdell Sands at NT....*shivers*

Props to BK for the sig
Quote:
Old 01-12-2012, 04:14 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whatever defense it is, Lamaar Houston will be a stud in it. He's one of the more versatile players in the league, always has been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:02 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Whatever defense it is, Lamaar Houston will be a stud in it. He's one of the more versatile players in the league, always has been.
He is a perfect fit in a 3-4 defense IMO, and we need to trade/cut some old over payed players like Seymour, Kelly, Henderson, Eugene and more. We can clear up a lot of cap space and really try to draft well in the 2013 draft. We could look to sign a F/A or 2 as well at key positions to help the transition. Palmer looks to be our QB next season for now. That could change once a hire is made at HC.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:30 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The other day I thought firing Hue Jackson was the right move. Now I'm starting to have second thoughts. I think they should have kept him around another season. If it wasn't for that press conference where it seemed like he wasn't taking that much responsibility, I think he may still have his job. He was on the Rich Eisen podcast a day after he was fired, and it was interesting to hear what he had to say regarding to the entire season from the Palmer trade to his dismissal.

The team was looking pretty decent early on until Campbell got hurt and McFadden was out for the year as well. One thing I've learned this past decade with the 49ers is that a revolving door of head coaches and assistants really isn't going to work and starting over year after year when it's not done the first time is doomed to fail. That is something I think Al Davis really screwed up the franchise with before his death. The Raiders went 8-8 and could have won the division in the last week of the season. That isn't that bad considering the significant injuries the team faced. I would have given Jackson another year.

Maybe Reggie McKenzie can help. Wouldn't be surprised to see Carson Palmer out of there as well.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:33 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This whole Oakland situation is fascinating! They have a draft and develop minded GM but have no draft picks, they have a QB that is overpaid and underperforming that RM has no ties too and they have a lot of players they could get rid of on big salaries which could free up money for free agents but then that would go against RM's philosophies. They are also changing defensive schemeso they have questions surrounding where to play players and what to do with the players that dont fit the scheme.

Oaklands offseason is definitely one to watch!
Has he said this? Do we know this for certain? RM was originally trained by Ron Wolf, and he loved to make a big splash in the Free Agent or trading market.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:28 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Has he said this? Do we know this for certain? RM was originally trained by Ron Wolf, and he loved to make a big splash in the Free Agent or trading market.
Good point. I think the assumption is that coming from the Packers he won't be much of a player in the FA market, however, those decisions are all Thompson. We don't know that McKenzie's stance on FA is as set in stone as TT. McKenzie may have been in favor of more FA acquisitions but Thompson ultimately made the call.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:47 PM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
I would have given Jackson another year.
And you would have set the franchise back a year in the process.

God damn it.

No offense, but your Raiders draft sucks.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:06 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Oakland Raiders have extending their list of potential head-coaching candidates to Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers, according to a league source.

Miami Dolphins interim coach Todd Bowles will interview for the Raiders' head-coaching vacancy on Friday, and numerous executives throughout the league expect new Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie to give strong consideration to longtime Packers assistant coach Winston Moss as well.

McKenzie, who was introduced by the Raiders on Tuesday, said he has a short list of candidates, but the offensive or defensive background of a coach will not influence the choice, and head-coaching experience isn't a prerequisite. He will give his head coach authority to hire his own staff.

Regardless, McKenzie is likely to be bringing more Packers personnel with him to Oakland. Teams are not permitted to interview Packers coaches until after their season ends.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack

Capers is a proven defensive coach, and has HC experience already. He would do wonders with the talent we already have on defense...

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

Old 01-13-2012, 03:19 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post

Capers is a proven defensive coach, and has HC experience already. He would do wonders with the talent we already have on defense...
FFS! Are you just planning on taking every single one of our staff? Anyway i doubt Capers would even want to be a head coach. He seems pretty happy sitting in his box during games.

I know Capers has been getting a lot of blame for how 'bad' the defense is playing but its not even his fault! Matthews is getting double/triple teamed on every snap but everyone else on the team is incapable of rushing the passer. Im sick of Dom getting all the blame.

RIP themaninblack
Old 01-13-2012, 03:23 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Just because of what he said about the Palmer trade. He said he likes his draft picks which told me right away he thought the trade was stupid and that if it was him he would if kept his picks and kept Boller.

RIP themaninblack
Old 01-13-2012, 04:35 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
And you would have set the franchise back a year in the process.
That's what they said about the Texans keeping Kubiak.

The Raiders offense was coming together. It's the defense that was terrible.

Quote:
Old 01-13-2012, 05:32 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post

And his .375 winning percentage is why nobody other than RM is even rumored to be considering him.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:15 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

I wouln't be too thrilled with Capers as my head coach.

One winning season out of eight. And the other seven weren't even .500 seasons. All of them were losing ones.

Quote:
Old 01-13-2012, 11:28 AM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
I wouln't be too thrilled with Capers as my head coach.

One winning season out of eight. And the other seven weren't even .500 seasons. All of them were losing ones.
Two expansion teams, to be fair. I mean, ****, HOU just made the playoffs for the first year EVER.
DraftSavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:37 AM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Idk...not too excited about Capers either.

Props to BK for the sig
Quote:
Old 01-13-2012, 01:31 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Idk...not too excited about Capers either.
I'm starting to doubt how accurate the report is, Capers is rumored to love being the DC in Green Bay and loves sitting up in the box instead of being on the sideline. I wouldn't rule him out yet, but I would say hiring a guy like Winston Moss is still the most likely thing to happen

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

Old 01-13-2012, 02:27 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see McKenzie bringing in a retread/old guy like Capers as his first HC as GM of the Raiders.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:49 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftSavant View Post
Two expansion teams, to be fair. I mean, ****, HOU just made the playoffs for the first year EVER.
Tom Coughlin had the same hurdle and had the Jaguars in the AFC Championship game in just the second year of the franchise. Good coaching can do wonders.

Quote: