Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:02 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matt Ryan went to a team that had never had consecutive winning seasons. Now they have had four consecutive winning seasons and playoff appearances in 3 of 4 years.

Jake Long's team is 31-33 with one playoff appearance (and that was when Tom Brady was out for the year). Jake Long is a great offensive tackle. But when you compare his influence on the Dolphins and compare it to Ryan's influence on the Falcons, it isn't even close. Matt Ryan all day long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:42 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
It's one thing if he had a great game vs the Giants and he came up short, but he was downright awful. Not looking downfield, making inaccurate throws, showing his lack of arm strength, getting outchecked by Boley at the LOS, he just had a bad game all over.
That, and his statistics have dropped significantly in all 3 playoff games. He's had 3 bad games now in the playoffs, and not all those Falcons teams were just that bad either. It may not be a trend or anything, but I'm concerned when a franchise QB is good enough to produce in the regular season and get his team to the playoffs, then plays well below average once he gets there.

I'm fine with being in the minority on this one, if Matt Ryan needs a top 5 defense, a top 5 offensive line, and a million weapons around him to win a playoff game, how good is he really? I've heard about all those excuses, you give any decent QB that much help and he'd do well also.

If he had played as well as Stafford had, they probably win that game. Props to the Giants D no doubt, but I guess I'll just have to listen to excuses for Matt Ryan because his team isn't perfect. I'm not waiting for him to win a playoff game, but showing up for one would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:17 AM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matt Ryan.

Miami's offense was just fine at the end of the season with that bust guard from Ole Miss they took in the 3rd round a few years ago filling in at left tackle while Long was hurt.

I think they're both overrated, but at least Ryan can win you some games and who knows, give him a defense and he just might surprise you.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:38 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It depends what players you have. If you have Rodgers or Brees at QB then you take long but if you have Rex Grossman playing then you take Ryan.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Atlanta, for the first time in their history has made the playoffs 4 years in a row, before they never made it twice in a row even with Vick.

Miami isn't near being a playoff team so taking Long was a huge mistake and who knows when they will be able to correct it. They broke the 'Golden Rule', always take a potential franchise QB if you don't have one, whenever the opportunity arises.

Is it Ryan's fault they haven't won a playoff game or should his HC and OC get some of the blame??? Ditto for Rivers in San Diego, is it his fault they haven't made the playoffs the last 2 years or is it Turner's problem???

I'd take Ryan everyday of the week over Long.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:37 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
It depends what players you have. If you have Rodgers or Brees at QB then you take long but if you have Rex Grossman playing then you take Ryan.
Well this post is rather dumb and worthless.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:38 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jake Long. Matt Ryan would not of made a difference in Miami.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:39 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
Jake Long sure has made a huge difference in Miami.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
Old 01-10-2012, 04:50 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
They sure did start looking pretty good with Matt Moore and Jake Long though. I'd take that over Matt Ryan & Sam Baker to start my team.
Honestly, I think that actually adds credence to his comment. Matt Moore was playing far better football than Henne and some of it without Long, so it seems QB is clearly more important.

Ryan is still the better choice. QBs make the difference. Great QBs with mediocre tackles can still dominate. The reverse does not hold true.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Last edited by FlyingElvis : 01-10-2012 at 04:55 PM.
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:25 PM    (permalink
eltwentyone
Rookie

eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Matt Ryan is fooling the organization that they got a good team, like trading for Julio, I mean they completely neglected defensive side of the ball, and overpaid for players, with an Long you aint making those decisions.

We are not talking about QB vs LT, thats easy, go with QB ex Rivers, Rothlesberger etc. were talking about Matt Ryan and Jake Long.

Honestly, Matt Ryan is fools gold doe, man I drafted him thought he would kill it with Julio, Next year, we will see how consistent he is.

I dunno, I rather be in Dolphins position right now then Atlanta, got too much pressure, disappointment, next year when Atlanta makes it to the playoffs, how optimistic/excited you gonna be? can Matt Ryan lead? Really 2 points in a playoff game??? matches Ryans number, i didnt even watch the game, how da fook did they shut the O down.
eltwentyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
And why not? He sure as hell made a difference in Atlanta. Keep in mind this prior to Matt Ryan being drafted, this team had NEVER had back to back winning seasons. That's unheard of. Since he's been drafted, we've never had a losing season. People don't realize how well he played down the stretch this year, sure he ****** the dog in the playoffs, but there was a combination of things that led to this. I'm telling you guys he's going to blow up next season, especially if we get an OC who isn't afraid to mix things up.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltwentyone View Post
Matt Ryan is fooling the organization that they got a good team, like trading for Julio, I mean they completely neglected defensive side of the ball, and overpaid for players, with an Long you aint making those decisions.

We are not talking about QB vs LT, thats easy, go with QB ex Rivers, Rothlesberger etc. were talking about Matt Ryan and Jake Long.

Honestly, Matt Ryan is fools gold doe, man I drafted him thought he would kill it with Julio, Next year, we will see how consistent he is.

I dunno, I rather be in Dolphins position right now then Atlanta, got too much pressure, disappointment, next year when Atlanta makes it to the playoffs, how optimistic/excited you gonna be? can Matt Ryan lead? Really 2 points in a playoff game??? matches Ryans number, i didnt even watch the game, how da fook did they shut the O down.
It shows. The game wasn't solely on Ryan. Sure, I'll be the first to admit he didn't match his regular season success, but plenty things led to this. The game was called pretty poorly by the OC, the O-Line was awful, Turner couldn't do a thing, and Roddy White dropped four passes. Towards the end when they knew we had to pass, Ryan had no time in the pocket. Again, I'm not saying he played very well, but to put it on him solely is ridiculous. Stats don't always tell the story. You're the classic guy who plays fantasy football with a guy and think that determines the kind of player he is.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:36 PM    (permalink
eltwentyone
Rookie

eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.eltwentyone wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogs View Post
I'm telling you guys he's going to blow up next season, especially if we get an OC who isn't afraid to mix things up.
I am gonna sig this, I thought he was gonna blow up this year, Murlakey staying or going? but the game against the giants, was beyond horrible, Thats performance should not be coming from an experienced team, I watched a couple of games, he doesnt have a good arm, and throws a bad deep ball, so called hurry up apparently hes supposed to be good at is bs lol,

0-3 doe, thats classic, I am staying away from the falcons except Julio, dudes beast, how many deep balls had he caught this year, be reasonable.

why you blaming the 0-line doe>>>> whers that manning in Ryan :hah: Ryan should have been able to overcome that, games happen where there is no run game, cmon son, Ryan doesnt have it, so he needs a good run game, a good oc, good wr, good defense, LMAO Ryan aint worth it, reminds me of what people say of Cassel. how he took his team 11-5 to the playoffs with New England

Last edited by eltwentyone : 01-10-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:45 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Quote:
I am gonna sig this, I thought he was gonna blow up this year, Murlakey staying or going? but the game against the giants, was beyond horrible, Thats performance should not be coming from an experienced team, I watched a couple of games, he doesnt have a good arm, and throws a bad deep ball, so called hurry up apparently hes supposed to be good at is bs lol,

0-3 doe, thats classic, I am staying away from the falcons except Julio, dudes beast, how many deep balls had he caught this year, be reasonable.
He's great at the hurry up. Mularkey is 50/50 right now by the way. Ryan transitioned slowly into this new offense we have going, compare the first half of this season to the second half. He was a whole different player.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:51 PM    (permalink
eltwentyone
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogs View Post
He's great at the hurry up. Mularkey is 50/50 right now by the way. Ryan transitioned slowly into this new offense we have going, compare the first half of this season to the second half. He was a whole different player.
Alright so next year, Is make or break in your opinion for Matt Ryan?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:57 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Alright so next year, Is make or break in your opinion for Matt Ryan?
lol. I think it's safe to say Bulldogs is sold on Ryan as a good QB. A winning season every year . . . tough to argue otherwise, honestly. His preseason fantasy hype train and subsequent failure to produce fantasy gold are irrelevant.

Every time I saw the Falcons play it looked like a team with an identity crisis on the offensive side. They have the weapons to run a full time passing attack like the other big-boys but don't want to abandon the run game. The two schools conflict and it shows. Get him better protection and open the offense up (Turner is looking too old for the heavy workload anyway) and I think we'd see a pretty sick showing by Ryan.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:22 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

Quote:
So let me get this straight. You have the choice of two teams. The first is a team who will have four different coaches in seven seasons, no franchise QB in over a decade, no good chance of getting one in the draft this season, and one playoff appearance in the last ten years. The second team has a QB who has led them to four winning seasons and three playoff appearances in his first four years and the same coach for the last four years. And you would choose the first team? That is ridiculous.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Old 01-11-2012, 10:24 AM    (permalink
Da-Phins
Veteran

Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Da-Phins is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matt Ryan. You never pass on a potential franchise QB for an elite LT....NEVER. Last I check these top contenders have an above average/good LT but a franchise QB.

Props to fenikz on the awesome sig
Da-Phins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:12 AM    (permalink
Mitchell
Rookie

Mitchell hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Matt Ryan and this shouldn't and can't be argued.

As a Redskins fan, I saw Trent Williams play as well as any Left Tackle in the league this year (took him a couple games to get going). Ultimately, whether Rex Grossman had 5 more seconds or not, we were still going to lose the game with or without Trent.

If Matt Ryan is throwing the ball behind backup Willie Smith, we actually have a chance to win the game.

Left Tackles come AFTER franchise quarterbacks, unfortunately for some teams (Redskins included), there was no franchise quarterback available.
Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:18 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For my team I think Long would offer a much bigger bigger improvement than Ryan but if I was starting a franchise from scratch it would be a harder choice. I suppose I would lean towards Ryan, even though Long is much better at his position, because I have always found the LT position to be incredibly overrated. With bad players on offense a great LT isn't going to make much of a difference. With bad players an average QB can have a greater impact.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:24 AM    (permalink
Mitchell
Rookie

Mitchell hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
For my team I think Long would offer a much bigger bigger improvement than Ryan but if I was starting a franchise from scratch it would be a harder choice. I suppose I would lean towards Ryan, even though Long is much better at his position, because I have always found the LT position to be incredibly overrated. With bad players on offense a great LT isn't going to make much of a difference. With bad players an average QB can have a greater impact.
Answered your own question man, there's just no way to justify a franchise left tackle over a franchise quarterback. Matt Ryan isn't even that great of a franchise quarterback so far in his young career, but you still make the playoffs every year.
Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:46 PM    (permalink
eltwentyone
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
So let me get this straight. You have the choice of two teams. The first is a team who will have four different coaches in seven seasons, no franchise QB in over a decade, no good chance of getting one in the draft this season, and one playoff appearance in the last ten years. The second team has a QB who has led them to four winning seasons and three playoff appearances in his first four years and the same coach for the last four years. And you would choose the first team? That is ridiculous.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:15 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Old 01-11-2012, 04:47 PM    (permalink
eltwentyone
Rookie

Old 01-11-2012, 06:18 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Quote:
Good argument. The best rebuttal you've had thus far is "he didn't put up alot of fantasy points!!!".