Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 01-12-2012, 11:34 AM    (permalink
Smash28Dash34
Rookie

Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The 2011 Rookie Report Cards

Now that the season is over I think it's only right that we grade each rookie on their overall season and see how Rivera, Hurney and co did on their first draft post-Fox.

1st Round:
Cam Newton QB
Statistics:
Passing- 310/517, 4051 yds, 21 tds - 17 ints
Rushing- 126/706, 5.6 avg, 14 tds
Records: All time Rookie passing record (Manning), All time rushing TDs by QB
Grade: A
- Rivera and Hurney saw something in Cam that nobody else did. Most scouts, fans and GMs thought we were crazy to take him #1 and he proved us all wrong by a longshot. Cam will go down as one of, if not the best rookie QB ever and for the first time in franchise history it looks like we finally have a legitimate franchise QB.

3rd Round:
Terrell McClain DT
Statistics:
Tackles- 19 com, 13 total, 6 ast
QB Pressures-4
Sacks- 1

Sione Fua DT
Statistics:
Tackles- 9 com, 4 total, 5 ast
QB Pressures- 1
Sacks- 0

Grade: C
- Both of these guys showed small glimses of hope, but overall a very underwhelming season for both players. When you double dip on the same position in the 3rd round without a 2nd round pick you expect production from at least one of these guys. Were they thrown to the wolves by being forced to start from the Arizona game? Maybe, but so was Cam and it didn't seem to hinder him at all. They need to put on some weight imo for them to develop into solid players. They both struggle to get off blocks consistently, especially Fua.

4th Round:
Brandon Hogan CB
Statistics:
Tackles- 3 com, 2 total, 1 ast
INTs- 0

Grade: Incomplete
- It took him longer to recover from that injury than most of us expected. Only was able to play in two games and looked ok in both. With no stats to really grade him on and no full body of work throughout the season he gets an incomplete from me. I just hope he is fully healthy by the start of 2012 we need as much depth at CB as possible.

5th Round:
Kealoha Pilares WR
Statistics:
N/A at WR
ST- 23 Ret, 590 yds, 25.7 avg, 1 td

Grade: B
- Showed promise in the preseason at WR on that TD from Anderson, but had no playing time at WR throughout the season. He did however make his mark on ST where he finally ended that long streak of no ST tds. It looks like we have our KR problems solved and thats enough to give the guy a B in my book.

As for the last 3 guys:
Lawrence Wilson- F
Zach Williams- I
Lee Ziemba- C

Overall Grade: A-
If it wasn't for Cam this draft would have been a major flop, but the goal was to find a franchise QB and we did just that so it gets an A- from me. I like what we have in Pilares, but if Hogan and the DTs don't produce next season I have to start questioning Hurney's abillity to judge talent in the middle rounds. It's not just this year either we all know what happened with Armanti Edwards. Lets just hope he keeps hitting on his 1st round picks like he has with Cam.
Smash28Dash34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:15 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

imo

Cam - A+

Listen, he wasn't PERFECT but he was absurdly good and totally exceeded expectations. On a 100 scale I'd give his rookie season a 97

Fua and McClain both get D's. I don't think it's a coincidence that our run D went from worst in the league to bad, but acceptable immediately after we stashed both of them on IR. They get reprieves for this year but next year they arent rookies anymore and it's time to perform

Pilares I'll give a C+. Showed some promise as a returner but was by no means elite there. I would've liked to have seen him force his way onto the field at WR for a few plays at by the end of the year

Everyone else is a no grade
Old 01-16-2012, 09:46 PM    (permalink
Smash28Dash34
Rookie

Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
imo

Cam - A+

Listen, he wasn't PERFECT but he was absurdly good and totally exceeded expectations. On a 100 scale I'd give his rookie season a 97

Fua and McClain both get D's. I don't think it's a coincidence that our run D went from worst in the league to bad, but acceptable immediately after we stashed both of them on IR. They get reprieves for this year but next year they arent rookies anymore and it's time to perform

Pilares I'll give a C+. Showed some promise as a returner but was by no means elite there. I would've liked to have seen him force his way onto the field at WR for a few plays at by the end of the year

Everyone else is a no grade
I wouldn't give McClain a D he showed some promise before he got hurt. Fua is the one who looked awful though. Either way they both need to beef up next year.
Smash28Dash34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:56 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cam had the best rookie year of all time, so he gets an A+

Pilares won a special teams position and was making it on to the field sometimes although rarely. Not too bad for a late pick.

The DTs were bad. McClain wasn't as bad as Fua but still, not something to brag about. I think they're rotational guys, Rivera can probably work with them. some decent linebackers should help them look better. I think Beason can teach these guys how to do their job too.