Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 03-27-2007, 03:59 PM    (permalink
Pocket
Rookie

Pocket hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Lions in trade talks with Raiders?

Pat Kirwan from NFL.com just posted his new mock draft look what it says.

1. **Oakland: Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech -- The Raiders have lots of needs, but as long as quarterback is one of them, they have to respond by selecting the guy with the great deep ball, JaMarcus Russell. By passing on the opportunity to get Schaub in a trade, it looks like a QB -- BUT if the Raiders secure a QB like Josh McCown from the Lions, then here comes Calvin Johnson. Let's go with Johnson, the top-rated player on most draft boards!

Hmm... is this an example of a QB, or are there rumors out there?

I read the following on another forum....

Reports from Detroit are that the Lions have inquired with Kansas City about QB Trent Green. The Lions are still actively shopping the #2 overall pick in the upcoming draft.

One rumor was that the Patriots may get involved in trade talks with the Lions. The Pats are the only team with two first-round picks.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:09 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think the Lions would "give" the Raiders Calvin Johnson.. That's basically what they'd be doing if they traded Josh McCown to them.. It'd hurt our trade down options.. Now, if they wanted to grossly overpay for McCown, I'd do it.. But I wouldn't eliminate a big need of theirs before the draft.

I have no clue why we'd trade for Trent Green.. No clue at all. That's one of the worst rumors of all time. If we want a QB, we'll draft a Younger, Healthier one at #2, or in Round 2.

Trading with the Patriots? Nope.. #24 and #28 (1400 pts) are not enough to move up to #2, and they don't even have a Round 2 pick to use.. They'd need to make up 1200 more points (the equivalent of the #12 overall pick).. I don't think a trade with New England is going to happen, at all.

WMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:30 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
I don't think the Lions would "give" the Raiders Calvin Johnson.. That's basically what they'd be doing if they traded Josh McCown to them.. It'd hurt our trade down options.. Now, if they wanted to grossly overpay for McCown, I'd do it.. But I wouldn't eliminate a big need of theirs before the draft.

I have no clue why we'd trade for Trent Green.. No clue at all. That's one of the worst rumors of all time. If we want a QB, we'll draft a Younger, Healthier one at #2, or in Round 2.

Trading with the Patriots? Nope.. #24 and #28 (1400 pts) are not enough to move up to #2, and they don't even have a Round 2 pick to use.. They'd need to make up 1200 more points (the equivalent of the #12 overall pick).. I don't think a trade with New England is going to happen, at all.
I think the #2 pick will be worth enough to get a trade... even with CJ off the board. That leaves Russell, Quinn, AD, JThomas and GAdams... players that SOMEONE will want to trade up for. If they offer enough for Josh McCown, I don't see why we wouldn't make the trade. He wants to leave and we've got the players (Kitna/Orlovsky) and the picks (the coaches seem to want Stanton) to fill his spot on the roster.

I can agree 99% with the Trent Green comment... we've got our vetran starter in Kitna... why trade for another in Green? The ONLY way I see a connection is with Martz and Green... and that isn't strong enough to warrant a trade.

And... a note about the trade with the Pats: it's not a bad deal... IF they throw in a (few) 2008 pick(s). Getting 2 1st round picks (and an additional pick in 2008) puts us in a great position to grab some talent... maybe a draft of Spencer/Beason/Meriweather. Quite a bit of talent.

Don't get me wrong... I'd prefer a different scenario. But, IF we did that (and received a 1st or 2nd round 2008 pick), I'd be satisfied.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:43 PM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

asmitty45 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I can agree with that, 3 firsts would be more than ample payment for #2 overall, but im not sure who the pats would go after if CJ is of the board. so hopefully we dont give up McCown until we were to make pats deal.

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21
asmitty45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:47 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmitty45 View Post
I can agree with that, 3 firsts would be more than ample payment for #2 overall, but im not sure who the pats would go after if CJ is of the board. so hopefully we dont give up McCown until we were to make pats deal.
Veeeery true. Maybe the Pats could use Landry... or Carriker... but they'd have to be going after CJ at #2.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:01 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I doubt the Pats would want to give up what they'd have to in order to get to #2.. If they wanted to trade up, I think it'd be to get in position for LaRon Landry. I think they'll stay put and draft a LB and CB with their two First Rounders..

WMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:24 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
I doubt the Pats would want to give up what they'd have to in order to get to #2.. If they wanted to trade up, I think it'd be to get in position for LaRon Landry. I think they'll stay put and draft a LB and CB with their two First Rounders..
I dunno, though... they're only a few pieces away from (still) being a powerhouse. Taking a player like Landry would be incredible for the team.

As good as some other safeties are, I don't think there's another quite like him. And, only trading their first two picks this year (and their second next year?) for a stud like Landry... tha'd be amazing for them.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:15 AM    (permalink
TRJ997
Rookie

TRJ997 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The Patriots aren't going to trade both 1st this year and a 1st next year to move up to #2. They get good value out of their late first round picks, and no one, not even CJesus is worth that much to the Pats, who have have plenty of WR's and don't put much value in them. Also, why would they want to trade up to #2 to reach for a defensive player? They would be a lot smarter to trade with WAS, still get Landry, and keep next year's 1st.

If the Lions trade down its going to be with CLE, TB, or ARI. Any other scenario (including ATL and MIN) is too unlikely to consider.
TRJ997 is offline   Reply With Quote