Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 01-31-2012, 03:50 AM    (permalink
Clarkw267
Rookie

Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Robert Turbin, RB, Utah St.

Not much being said about him... Personally I think he's going to be a tremendous value in anywhere from the late 2nd to 4th round. He's built like a tank, is explosive through the hole, and has good vision.

With all this talk about Doug Martin... I just wanted to get a feel for what you guys think about some other backs.
Clarkw267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:58 PM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He doesn't look the same as 2009 for whatever reason. Does a lot of "hop cuts". Looks tentative not to tear his knee up again. I hope he can regain his 2009 form at the next level.
norcalgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:04 AM    (permalink
Jonce85
Rookie

Jonce85 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I did not see him play in 2009, but his numbers were actually better this season than in 2009. He was touchdown machine this year, and was not asked to carry the load as much as the aggies were deep at running back. He is a powerful runner with nice burst through the hole and has a little bit of wiggle but is not overly elusive. I think that with his Injury Hx he probably goes mid 3rd-4th.
Jonce85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:47 PM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

rickscott hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm hoping the Bengals get him or Doug Martin as the replacement for Benson
rickscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Doug Martin better, but Turbin definitely looks like an NFL contributer to me. I think I've posted before he reminds me a little of Marshawn Lynch in his running style, but since we can't be comparing everyone to Pro Bowlers - maybe a closer comparison would be a guy like LaMont Jordan. I could pretty easily see Turbin having a Jordan-like NFL-career. And I'd put the value on that around the 4th round. A guy who's going to give you some tough running and versatility and have a real role in an offense, but not necessarily an impact player. But that's about what you expect of running backs anymore. Only guys in this class I can see turning into players other teams really have to gameplan for are Richardson and Martin. They're the guys who look to me like they could be focal points of an offense. Wilson and Miller look like guys who could rush for 1000 yards, but I have kind of a hard time seeing them as the guy you'd try to get the ball to in critical situations. See them more as just another way to try and get yards over the course of the game. Martin and Richardson have that drive and explosiveness that warrants placing some faith in them on third down plays, but Wilson and Miller look more like speed guys to me who you keep giving the ball to throughout the game hoping for big plays, but might be afraid of them getting stuffed on 3rd and 3. I think I might rather have Turbin on the field in that situation than those two, to be honest, but I'm probably in the minority in that. But Turbin looks like a running back who hits holes hard and keeps his legs going until he hits the turf, so I like that about him. Not a big play guy like Wilson or Miller, maybe not talented enough to be a workhorse, but I see him having a role as a guy who is too good to keep on the sideline and can get tough yards. 500 rushing yards, 25 catches-kind of guy. Could easily be more, but I think that's a pretty safe estimation of the kind of production I'd expect from Turbin.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:30 PM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I'm the team drafting Turbin, I hope I get this one next year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1chyFyokgHk
norcalgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkw267 View Post
Not much being said about him... Personally I think he's going to be a tremendous value in anywhere from the late 2nd to 4th round.
I'd rather have this guy over Doug Martin, assuming Denver can snag him in the 3rd.

1. He plays well against top competition.

2011- Top 2 opponents
2 TD's vs. Auburn
123 Yds, TD vs. BYU
Missed '10 with injury

2009- 4 biggest games
#19 Utah- 143 Yards, 1 TD
Texas A&M 121 Yards, 1 TD
BYU 104 Yards, 1 TD, 4 Catches, 116 Yards, 2 TD
Boise State 75 Net Yards, 1 TD
2. He is big, lean, muscular, and has room to fill out more
He weighed in at a svelte 222 pounds at the combine. Has an enormous upper body, bigger and thicker than most running backs. Lower body isn't as big. With some solid NFL weight training, this is a guy that could effortlessly be up to 230 without losing speed. It would hypothetically be all muscle weight in his legs.

3. He is as powerful as Doug Martin. 28 Reps at 225 pounds was top among any RB at the combine, tied with DM. Turbin gets the nod as he has shorter arms. Tied with DM in the vertical jump at 36". This means both prospects have extremely powerful thighs that can not only support the upper body weight, but propel it higher than all but 7 of the running backs in this year's class. Was 4th overall among all prospects in the broad jump, and by ratio, was the biggest running back to do that well. This drill shows hip flexor explosion as well as thigh drive.

4. He has big, great hands. 9 3/4 inch hands, only Jonas Gray and Brandon Bolden had bigger hands in this class. Picks the ball out of the air. Simply put, has a natural ability to catch.

5. He is fast. Put any speed concerns to rest with a 4.50 flat 40 yard dash at 222 Lbs. Ran a 4.44, and a 4.47, but like every prospect at the combine these days, his official time was lowered on both occasions. Turbin still performed 9th overall at the combine at the RB position.

5. Is quick, despite his lackluster combine 3 cone showing. This is what Scouts Inc. had to say:

Quote:
Has very quick feet that he employs to stop and start instantaneously out of the backfield.
6. Has no character concerns. Is a good guy that works extensively and gives back to the USU community.

7. Tore his ACL in early 2010, missing the season. Rebounded with a near 1,600 yard season, breaking off multiple 60+ yard runs, including an impressive pair of 80 yarders on the year.

Quote:
Three weeks before USU’s 2011 opener against Auburn, Turbin appears to be back. The knee, he and his teammates say, is better than ever. The explosiveness, judging by the first week of Utah State’s practice, has returned.

Last edited by Jimmy : 02-29-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:15 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^ Texas A&M knew he ran 4.4.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:46 AM    (permalink
diemertsdawgs
Rookie

diemertsdawgs diemertsdawgs diemertsdawgs diemertsdawgs diemertsdawgs diemertsdawgs

My neighbor down the street plays with Turbin at Utah St., he's a beast. I see him late 2nd to 4th round and will please some team like LeGarrette Blount did for Tampa.
diemertsdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diemertsdawgs View Post
My neighbor down the street plays with Turbin at Utah St., he's a beast. I see him late 2nd to 4th round and will please some team like LeGarrette Blount did for Tampa.
That's the issue. He's buried out in Logan, Utah. Population 48,000. Nobody gets to see him play out there. As it is WAC players hardly get any exposure, aside from the Iupatis and the David Carrs and the Kaepernicks. Talk about Utah State though, Chris Cooley and Kevin Curtis are the only current Utah State players in the NFL. Just don't get how the kid doesn't get more attention.

What's more disappointing is the fact that (less and less, admittedly) nobody gives a damn about him, and this actually compounds his "injury problems" in the eye of the public. Normally it would be a medium-level concern, but since most people have nothing else to say about him (since they either haven't watched him, know nothing, or can't find any scouting reports to rip off and call their own) they just say he's injury prone, and that justifies the 4th round ranking that film would otherwise dismiss.

Both he and Robert Griffin suffer the same injury (an ACL injury that they have both only suffered once in their lives) but Turbin's name is almost marked with a red cross or an asterisk denoting fragility, while Griffin isn't, despite the fact that both redeemed themselves with 1st team all conference seasons, or a Heisman Trophy in the case of RG3. Still, Heisman or not, Turbin was the WAC offensive player of the year, but the injury concerns are front and center in everyone's mind. A little ridiculous if you ask me, especially since no speed was lost. Now, if results come out that he has a bunch of scar tissue built up, or that he needs a microfracture or something, great. Call him injury prone. Just don't knock him moreso for something that you don't knock other guys for to the same extent. And it's not just Griffin. But it's the reason he's not higher on some people's boards.

Last edited by Jimmy : 03-01-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:33 AM    (permalink
Jonce85
Rookie

Turbin will be a steal for someone who is willing to take a chance on a player with "Injury Concerns", never understood what that means football is a contact sport and they are bound to happen. Frank had a handful more injuries and he has done incredibly well, albeit he has been injured in his career. And Donald Penn all-pro tackle is from USU and Curtis Marsh eagles third rounder last year is a USU alum. So there should be 6 in the NFL next year including Bobby Wagner.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:56 AM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
That's the issue. He's buried out in Logan, Utah. Population 48,000. Nobody gets to see him play out there. As it is WAC players hardly get any exposure, aside from the Iupatis and the David Carrs and the Kaepernicks. Talk about Utah State though, Chris Cooley and Kevin Curtis are the only current Utah State players in the NFL. Just don't get how the kid doesn't get more attention.

What's more disappointing is the fact that (less and less, admittedly) nobody gives a damn about him, and this actually compounds his "injury problems" in the eye of the public. Normally it would be a medium-level concern, but since most people have nothing else to say about him (since they either haven't watched him, know nothing, or can't find any scouting reports to rip off and call their own) they just say he's injury prone, and that justifies the 4th round ranking that film would otherwise dismiss.

Both he and Robert Griffin suffer the same injury (an ACL injury that they have both only suffered once in their lives) but Turbin's name is almost marked with a red cross or an asterisk denoting fragility, while Griffin isn't, despite the fact that both redeemed themselves with 1st team all conference seasons, or a Heisman Trophy in the case of RG3. Still, Heisman or not, Turbin was the WAC offensive player of the year, but the injury concerns are front and center in everyone's mind. A little ridiculous if you ask me, especially since no speed was lost. Now, if results come out that he has a bunch of scar tissue built up, or that he needs a microfracture or something, great. Call him injury prone. Just don't knock him moreso for something that you don't knock other guys for to the same extent. And it's not just Griffin. But it's the reason he's not higher on some people's boards.

What's the deal with Utah St.'s other RB Michael Smith? That dude went off in the bowl game. Every time I've watched Utah St., this Smith kid always jumped off the screen.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:14 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Old 03-02-2012, 01:20 AM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post

Yeah I watched that game. This Smith kid looks like Kendall Hunter. Underrated player for sure.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:01 PM    (permalink
Jonce85
Rookie

Mike Smith will make a roster somewhere. He is one of the hardest working players I have ever met and he runs with as much violence as anyone I have ever seen. High character guy. He is incredibly strong and fast, reportedly being hand timed at 4.28 in the 40. It will be interesting to see if someone falls in love with the kids character and measureables and uses a late round pick on him. At the least he will be a priority UDFA.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:34 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Turbin's ability to run is well established at this point among draftniks.

What isn't talked about is how good this guy is in the pass game. He can block, he can run out of the backfield, and he can catch the ball with the best of them. He's no LeSean McCoy, but the guy is very effective catching out of the backfield.

He really is going to be tremendous value in the middle rounds. Whoever compared him to Lamont Jordan is spot on. That's a great analogy.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:37 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

His medical must check out, if it does he is a 3rd rounder. I like him a lot.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:30 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who took him in the forum mock? The Chiefs did! In the 5th!

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:33 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Who took him in the forum mock? The Chiefs did! In the 5th!

Congrats on the steal of the draft. I truly hope this does not happen in real life.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:31 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is likely going in round 2 after his combine performance or early round 3. You can forget waiting till round 4 or 5, it just isn't going to happen.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:15 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

This story is a great read. I'd recommend skipping over my verbosity, reading the piece from the SFGate below, and then coming back and reading my comments at the bottom.

My take:

I'm a huge Turbin guy, but after reading this, I am his biggest fan after immediate family members and Utah State alum. This piece changed your perspective on him and made me realize that he is destined for success. I was convinced before, but now I'm sure he has the work ethic to do it all.

He will have the second best career of any back in this year's draft. This kid is the 2nd strongest RB in this class, one of the biggest, has the 3rd biggest hands, one of the best pairs of hands, one of the fastest, the most mature, and one of the most powerful.

Now, you may think that round 2 is too early, but what will it take? A bunch of experts telling you he's a second round pick? All the experts originally said he was a late round guy. Then it was a surefire 4th rounder. Then it was the 3rd round. Now a few guys are saying he could sneak into the 2nd. His film never changed. These guys are reluctant to admit he is a second round talent, or they haven't given him enough time on film since so many write him off as a mid-rounder.

The fact is, anyone who writes him off for injuries is using it as an excuse to downgrade him because they haven't done their fair share of homework on the kid. The film justifies a 2nd ground grade at the very least, but since nobody did their HW, they need a way to justify the mid-round grade. Excuse? A 2010 knee injury. Which he rebounded from and won WAC Offensive Player of the Year Honors. 1,500+ yards, multiple 80 yard scampers. Same injury as RGIII rebounded from, and he's worth 3 first rounders and a 2nd. Turbin is worth a #2. You wait.

Last edited by Jimmy : 03-10-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:47 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The perfect Brandon Jacobs replacement. Come aboard Rob. We got a spot for ya.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:49 AM    (permalink
Nebula
Rookie

Nebula is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nebula is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nebula is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nebula is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nebula is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nebula is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nebula is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nebula is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nebula is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nebula is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nebula is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks Doug Martin, slightly less talented
Nebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:40 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Guy is getting a ton of looks from AFC west teams. Is visiting my Broncos in the next week. So pumped. No other player I'd rather see in Orange and Blue.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:16 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
Guy is getting a ton of looks from AFC west teams. Is visiting my Broncos in the next week. So pumped. No other player I'd rather see in Orange and Blue.
Broncos would definetly be a good fit for him. I have him going to the Chargers....in the 2nd round of my latest mock. A head of Lamar Miller AND David Wilson.