Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:22 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jared Allen and DeMarcus Ware were by far the two best defensive players in the NFL this year. By FAR. They got robbed by giving the award to Suggs. I know he had a career year (playing with Ngata, Lewis, Reed, and all those great Ravens defenders mind you) and they might of wanted to just throw a bone to him as an honor for the entire Ravens defense - but he wasn't as dominant as Allen or Ware and could be controlled by double teams or chips.......the others couldn't.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IMO Darrelle Revis should be winning DPOTY year in and year out. What that guy is doing is amazing, IMO.

I think he's so good people are forgetting how good he is, and thus overlook him for other players who have a standout season, if that makes any sense lol.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly I thought Justin Smith was going to win it. No he didn't have mega stat numbers, but I can't remember one game this season where he was neutralized.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:35 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Terrell Suggs won DPOTY? Umm........why?

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:40 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

None of the winners really shock me or make me upset here.

A few of the players who got a vote thrown their way are a little upsetting. (Charles Woodson, for real? Eli Manning getting a COMEBACK player vote? Tha ****?)

DPotY was probably the closest. Can't completely fault them for going towards Suggs. Most of his biggest competition didn't even make the playoffs, so if you factor in team success (which they should do and did,) I can't complain about it.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:46 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
DPotY was probably the closest. Can't completely fault them for going towards Suggs. Most of his biggest competition didn't even make the playoffs, so if you factor in team success (which they should do and did,) I can't complain about it.
Except for the fact that Allen and Ware were both considerably better with much less help around them, and team success should never ******* factor into DPOTY. I'd also give it to Justin Smith if they were so dead-set on giving it to a playoff team, but whatever.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 02-04-2012, 07:49 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Justin Smith is a completely unsexy pick and that hurt him. The AP voters are morons if you couldn't tell by the college football voting they do. They probably scanned his stats and went "meh."

Plus Smith was a bit overshadowed by bigger names on the same team, with Willis and Bowman also getting votes and Aldon Smith getting some for DRotY.

And Allen's team is picking 3rd in the draft. I'm surprised he came as close as he even did.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:58 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Team success is independent of defensive player success. He did absolutely everything he could with a complete joke of a team in Minnesota on both ends (especially when AD was hurt), and was the best defensive player this season. And I'm saying this as a guy who ******* hates Jared Allen.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 02-04-2012, 07:59 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

You have to balance team and individual success when handing out these awards.

I wouldn't have had a problem if Allen won, but I can see why he didn't.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:01 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

T-sizzle!!!!!! Dude deserves it, has been a monster all year.

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:03 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So Jared Allen didn't win DPOY because his team is run by idiots? Makes sense, that's completely his fault. It's also completely his fault that we had nothing but special teams players in our secondary by the end of the year. I forgot that real DPOY's also double as GM's.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:07 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
You have to balance team and individual success when handing out these awards.

I wouldn't have had a problem if Allen won, but I can see why he didn't.
You do that for MVP and Coach in this sport yes, but in the past OPOTY and DPOTY have not been using team success all that much.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 02-04-2012, 08:11 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Suggs was great and all but I can think of at least 4 other players I'd put in front of him.

I don't remember the last time I actually agreed with the DPOY winner
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:19 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can buy an argument that Jared Allen should have been the DPOY over Sizzle but no one else. I find it bizarre that people really think Ware was more deserving let alone outraged that Suggs won it over him. I really don't know how people can be convinced Ware better all-around defensive player in this season. Yes Ware had more sacks, but Suggs had 7 forced fumbles (lead the league) to Ware's 2, 2 INT's to Ware's 0, 6 PDEF's to Ware's 2 not to mention that Suggs plays the run as well or better than any 34 OLB in the league. Oddly enough, it appears the voters look at more than just sack numbers before they cast their ballots.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:20 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsorace View Post
Suggs was great and all but I can think of at least 4 other players I'd put in front of him.

I don't remember the last time I actually agreed with the DPOY winner
LOL Like who? I'd love to see such a list

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 02-04-2012, 08:22 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloopy View Post
LOL Like who? I'd love to see such a list
Allen, Justin Smith, Revis, maybe Ware...

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 02-04-2012, 08:25 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
I really don't understand this thinking. Why? Rodgers was by far the best player this year, and maybe had the best season since Brady's a couple years back.

Vikings fan.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:33 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought this was a year that no one really stood out for DPOY. Usually there's a two player race throughout the season where they both are playing at top level (Woodson-Revis, Polamalu-Matthews), this year there didn't seem to be even one player with that spotlight. Allen very quietly approached the sack record, so I was expecting him to win it, but I wasn't overly impressed with him this year. Stat wise it was by far a career year, but I don't think it was really his best year. I guess I'm ok with Suggs winning it, but it's probably the least impressive DPOY in a long time.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:33 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
JPP should get some love here too. Dude was instrumental to the Giants late season/playoff run.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:34 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
You do that for MVP and Coach in this sport yes, but in the past OPOTY and DPOTY have not been using team success all that much.
The fact that there's a separation between MVP and PotY is stupid to begin win. I'd have OMVP and DMVP.

Essentially, MVP becomes the QB or RB having the most ridiculous year on a good team. OPotY is essentially the runner up to that and DPotY is basically DMVP.

The AP voters are a bunch of morons however and prefer to vote for as many things as possible in order to stay relevant in sports.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:35 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The fact that there's a separation between MVP and PotY is stupid to begin win. I'd have OMVP and DMVP.

Essentially, MVP becomes the QB or RB having the most ridiculous year on a good team. OPotY is essentially the runner up to that and DPotY is basically DMVP.

The AP voters are a bunch of morons however and prefer to vote for as many things as possible in order to stay relevant in sports.
Yeah, I really hate how OPOY has basically become a consolation prize for the MVP runner up.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:35 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haloti Ngata better step it up. Reed,Lewis and now Suggs have DOPY awards.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Revis? Come on. People need to get off the dudes jock. He is great, the #1 CB in the league... he didn't exactly have a DPOY season, struggled against Stevie Johnson and Dez Bryant.

Ware got more sacks... and? People complain about how all the AP voters do is look at stats and then they make comments like this.

Allen has a legit argument.

Suggs took over games this year for the Ravens. People look at his sacks and say he wasn't dominant but he isn't just a sack artist. Can he be? Ask Alex Smith.

But he can do more, the dude MANED UP ON ANDRE JOHNSON in the AFC divisional round... let that sink in for a second.

His support in the run game is almost unmatched as an 3-4 OLB and he is just as deadly dropping back in coverage.

He did whatever the team asked of him this year and he dominated at it. Allen got 20 sacks with almost no help and deserved to be in the conversation.

Everyone else named is just on name recognition, and if you truly think anyone else deserved this award your more brainless than the AP voters you complain so much about.

I honestly think Allen deserves it over Suggs but I laugh at the thought of anyone else mentioned

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:

Last edited by Sloopy : 02-04-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:39 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Yes Revis struggled against Dez for a couple of plays and Stevie has his number, but it's not like Suggs was on his game 100 percent of the time. With the game being completely focused on pass now, having him shut down his side pretty much every single game easily makes him a top 2 defensive POY candidate to me.

Nice ignoring of Justin Smith on that list, good thing you could come up with an argument for him. Allen I'm glad we have an agreement on, and whatever with Ware.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 02-04-2012, 08:43 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloopy View Post
Revis? Come on. People need to get off the dudes jock. He is great, the #1 CB in the league... he didn't exactly have a DPOY season, struggled against Stevie Johnson and Dez Bryant.

Ware got more sacks... and? People complain about how all the AP voters do is look at stats and then they make comments like this.

Allen has a legit argument.

Suggs took over games this year for the Ravens. People look at his sacks and say he wasn't dominant but he isn't just a sack artist. Can he be? Ask Alex Smith.

But he can do more, the dude MANED UP ON ANDRE JOHNSON in the AFC champion ship game... let that sink in for a second.

His support in the run game is almost unmatched as an 3-4 OLB and he is just as deadly dropping back in coverage.

He did whatever the team asked of him this year and he dominated at it. Allen got 20 sacks with almost no help and deserved to be in the conversation.

Everyone else named is just on name recognition, and if you truly think anyone else deserved this award your more brainless than the AP voters you complain so much about.

I honestly think Allen deserves it over Suggs but I laugh at the thought of anyone else mentioned
He gave up like 2 catches to Dez. I swear people hold Revis to such a high standard. He gives up a highlight catch or two and he is overrated.He did struggle against Stevie though.

Jarred Allen had 1 tackle and 0 sacks against both N.O and the raiders but people will just say he was double teamed. So it wasn't his fault.