Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:07 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default It's time to rank the QBs again

I do think some things changed this year. Previously the top guys were pretty clear cut, but I think there has been some changeover here and there. Who are your top NFL QBs RIGHT NOW? As in "this is the order of QBs that I would want to lead my team next year", not factoring in salary cap hit or personal bias for/against, etc.

Elite Tier:

Rogers - Probably solidifies himself as the #1 QB in the NFL next year. Many probably already think that.

Brees - Serious offensive powerhouse. Flawed and benefits from Payton's offense a bit, but still quite elite.

Brady - I think Cap'n Dinkydunk here is overrated, and maybe that is bias. But I admit he's developed into an elite QB. Too bad (for him) the rest of his team sucks now.

Tier 2:

E Manning - If the question was "which guy would you want to head into the playoffs with?" the answer would be Eli. But that isn't the question.

Rivers - this season took him out of the top-tier conversation IMO. He may climb back up next year.

Rapeburger - I wonder how he'll do without Arians. I also wonder what he'd do if he had a good OL.

Stafford - yeah he is young and yeah he has CJ and yeah he's had problems staying healthy. He still threw for 5000 yards, 41 TDs to 16 INTs, with a 97.2 rating. He proved himself this year IMO. I don't need another year to decide.

Tony Romo - I think he has a bad rep and is a good QB. It is hard to succeed in Dallas.

Tier 3:

Cam Newton - I expect him to jump into the next tier next year. Hard to put him too high after one season, even though I was very impressed with him.

Matt Schaub - I think he's underrated, and if he and Andre Johnson can stay healthy next season he'll put up huge numbers, they'll win the South again, and people will start talking about him as a top QB.

Matt Ryan - Steady improvement the last two years but he's still just a "really good" QB. Not "great" and a long way from elite.

Joe Flacco - He had a solid postseason, and he probably is hurt some by a lack of a deep threat. Torrey Smith may turn out to be that guy.

Michael Vick - Yes, he has the potential in any game to be the most dominant football player in the league. However, his age, fragility, and inconsistency scare me. I think the Eagles will regret the contract they gave him.

Jay Cutler - Almost forgot him. I think if Denver had kept him, Marshall, and Shanny he'd be a Tier 2 guy by now easily. What a mess that has turned out to be.

Tier 4:

Matt Flynn - Exciting prospect, but largely unproven. I am looking forward to seeing where he goes and how he does.

Andy Dalton - Surprising first year, hopefully he builds on that and makes the AFCN a 3 team division.

Ryan Fitzpatrick - The Bills faltered in 2011, to put it mildly. But I think with a full offseason and some more roster tweaking Fitzy can be a good NFL QB. Gailey has a good system to build on.

Matt Cassell - I actually think he's a little underrated but we'll see how he does next year.

Carson Palmer - Not sure about this one at all but maybe with a full offseason and a clear vision going forward (without Davis) Palmer will be able to resurrect his career.

Sam Bradford - Still plenty of potential here and kind of a bad situation in STL. Hopefully with some stability and weapons he will improve.

Tier 5:

Mark Sanchez - I think if he'd gone somewhere less flashy he'd be doing better. I think he has talent. But I think he's in a really bad situation and I don't think he's handling it well. I doubt he stays in NY once his rookie contract is up.

Josh Freeman - He showed some talent earlier but had a terrible year in a terrible situation. Bad ownership, bad coaching, questionable talent around him.

Christian Ponder - Showed some promise, not enough to develop much of an opinion yet and I don't have a lot of confidence in Frazier or his staff.

Alex Smith - Sorry, but he is a complete Jim Harbaugh creation. He did well this season. But he is a cog in the wheel.

Kevin Kolb - Maybe he'll do something next year. Or maybe he'll suck. AZ paid a lot for him so I decided to rank him.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:16 PM    (permalink
fear the elf
Veteran

fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Generally, when using a tiered system you aren't ranking guys in order within the tiers, but it kind of looks like you did.

If there is supposed to be an order, Cutler is too low, Cam too high, and Flacco should be at the bottom of tier 3. I also think you're too low on Alex Smith.

Also, I know you're a Brady hater (I usually fall on the Manning side of that debate, too), but your commentary on him is a pretty absurd. Not sure if srs...
fear the elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Where does Tebow rank on a list of throwing fullbacks?
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:21 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's some serious disrespect to Alex smith. He's better than ponder. A lot better. To have them in the same group is ridiculous.

I think I would have to put Eli in the top tier with guys like brees and brady. I mean he's beat brady twice in the biggest game possible. Eli is at the very least on Brady's level. He's proven that much.

I'd also put roethlisberger in the elite level as well. Rodgers is the gold standard. And will be for a long time. But Eli had the most to gain from this post season and with how he won... hes as clutch as it gets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Last edited by BigBanger : 02-06-2012 at 02:23 PM.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

its like beating a dead horse with this topic

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:24 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I;m sorry, but what has Sam Bradford done in order to be ranked ahead of Josh Freeman and Mark Sanchez? Freeman had a bad year, but he showed what he's capable of and the talent is there. To put Bradford ahead of him in the tier 4 and Freeman in 5 is off. Same with Matt Flynn and Matt Cassell.

Honestly, Eli Manning has beaten Brady Twice, when it counted on the big stage. How is he NOT in the top tier?
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not ranked, just thrown into tiers.

ELITE

Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning

My five elite quarterbacks. I know people won't like me throwing Peyton in here, but I think think he comes back, and I think he comes back strong. He's going to play with a vengeance in 2012. Eli solidified his spot in the top five and as an elite QB with his recent Superbowl win.

Tier 2:

Philip Rivers
Matt Ryan
Tony Romo
Ben Roethlisberger
Matthew Stafford

I feel fairly comfortable with these guys as the next five, some may argue for Ben Roethlisberger to be in the elite group of guys, I like him but I don't think he's quite there. Philip Rivers had a down year, but he's still a baller. Romo plays just as well as anybody but with the tough label as a Dallas QB. Stafford is pushing hard to be ranked up a tier, and if he continues his success from last year it shouldn't be too long. I'll probably get called a homer for throwing Matt Ryan in here but he's played just as well as anybody the past two seasons. Should be interesting to see him with a new offensive coordinator.

Tier 3:

Matt Schaub
Cam Newton
Michael Vick
Jay Cutler

I considered also putting Flacco in here but I don't quite think he's on the level on these two QBs. Schaub always flys under the radar. Cam Newton had a top five rookie season of all time. Vick is inconsistent but when he's on, as evidenced last year, he's damn near impossible to stop. BeerBaron will kill me for not putting Cutler in the next tier, he's play extremely well given the situation he's put in. Cutler is another guy to keep an eye on, his new OC will apparently roll him out like Cutler did so well in Denver.

Tier 4:

Mark Sanchez
Josh Freeman
Andy Dalton
Joe Flacco
Alex Smith

This is kind of what I consider the game manager tier. I struggled putting Sanchez in here, sure he's shown flashes, but this season will be telling as there will be no more blame to put on Schottenheimer. Freeman has the potential to but much higher than this but is coming off a dreadful season. He's now had one great year, and two very poor ones. Dalton is another guy who could be much higher in the future, he had a surprisingly good rookie season, time to see if he can build off of it. Flacco and Alex Smith are both pretty solid game managers, although I'm sure neither of their fans would like to hear it.

Tier 5:

Matt Cassell
Sam Bradford
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Carson Palmer
Matt Flynn

These are guys who are alright/mediocre QBs in my mind. Kind of tough to throw Matt Flynn in here because of his limited tape but damnit I wanted to put him somewhere on my list.

Hall of Fame Lock QB:

Tim Tebow

Timmy needed to be here somewhere. The legs of Walter Payton and the arm of Dan Marino. Only current QB who is worth this spot.

Last edited by Bulldogs : 02-06-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Bulldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:32 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear the elf View Post
Generally, when using a tiered system you aren't ranking guys in order within the tiers, but it kind of looks like you did.

If there is supposed to be an order, Cutler is too low, Cam too high, and Flacco should be at the bottom of tier 3. I also think you're too low on Alex Smith.

Also, I know you're a Brady hater (I usually fall on the Manning side of that debate, too), but your commentary on him is a pretty absurd. Not sure if srs...
I did put them in order within the tier, where I had an opinion. But overall, yes, the tiers are what matter to me more.

Both Cutler and Vick would probably be a tier above if they'd stayed healthy all season long.

I find it pretty difficult to be objective about Brady, even when I'm trying to give him credit.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:36 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah captain dinky dunky is going to be throwing bombs to Branch and Welker. Give me a ******* break, lets see someone have a deep game with those two as your starting Wrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:38 PM    (permalink
fear the elf
Veteran

fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fear the elf is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
I did put them in order within the tier, where I had an opinion. But overall, yes, the tiers are what matter to me more.

Both Cutler and Vick would probably be a tier above if they'd stayed healthy all season long.

I find it pretty difficult to be objective about Brady, even when I'm trying to give him credit.
Lol, I give you credit for being honest.
fear the elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you'd rather have Eli than any of the other QBs going into the playoffs why wouldn't you want him as your QB going into the season? Did he not just drag a largely useless squad to the playoffs where the defense finally got its **** together to give him some help?

Not saying I think he's number just something that struck as odd about your reasoning.

And IMO Cutler just re-inforced that he's in that second tier of QBs. The bears where well on their way to a second straight playoff season with an offense based entirely on him and Forte. Most QBs other than the elites would've gotten killed much quicker than Cutler and wouldn't be able to scratch out of that offense what he was able to scratch out of that unit.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Last edited by Rosebud : 02-06-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:58 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Please tell me how Brees is flawed when his last year in San Diego he had 64.6 completion percentage, 3500 yards, and 24 TDs when his starting WRs was Keenan McCardell and Eric Parker.

And Matt Flynn is a exciting prospect? The dude had one good game, and your basing his prospectness off of that and have him over Andy Dalton, who proved himself to be decent in the toughest division QB wise?

Last edited by zachsaints52 : 02-06-2012 at 03:02 PM.
zachsaints52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:00 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

+: Stock up. Has talent to go upward - : Down; hasn't improved nor shown much potential. = : steady.

ELITE

Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning -: I'm not sure if he'll be at the same level, or if he even returns.
Eli Manning

Tier 2:

Philip Rivers ^: Should get back into the conversation as he once was considered elite prior to the season.

Matt Ryan: = This one is tough. He's got a lot to prove to get into the top tier. Getting blown out the last 2 playoff games is tough.

Tony Romo: = : Hasn't won any "Big " games. Hasn't shown the clutch factor.

Ben Roethlisberger: +: He's been there before and yes has 2 rings. He's clutch when needed.

Matthew Stafford: + He's working his way up the ladder. Strong arm and dynamite weapons. Could be in the conversation in the next 2 years.

Matt Schaub: = He needs to stay on the field. I still think the Texans could have made some noise in the post season if he was healthy, and I believe they were the top seed in the AFC right before he went down.

Jay Cutler: +He has great potential to move up. He's as tough as they come and means so much to that Bears team. Talent is there as well.

Tier 3:

Joe Flacco: + : Flacco might be the perfect example of Jeckyl and Hyde type of player. One day he plays like a top 10 QB, next he's bottom 5 in terms of performance. He's got potential to move into the next tier, but has always been backed by a great defense and running game.
Cam Newton: + : Sky is the limit for this kid. If he develops more as a passer, then He'll be up there in no time.

Michael Vick: + : He can get back into the tier 2 conversation, but he needs to be a better passer.

Josh Freeman: + : People forget that 2010 season. Yes, he had an off year, but there was a lot going on in Tampa that people are just starting to find out now. The talent, smarts, and potential is there to get back into the 2nd tier.

Alex Smith: = Finally Smith has broke through and Harbaugh was a huge help. However, he hasn't and I don't think will live up to his draft status.

Andy Dalton: +: Kid has a lot of potential and is very smart and accurate. I wasn't high on him when he was drafted, but his development will be key this offseason.

Matt Cassell: = He's in the category of Alex Smith in terms of an Average QB that can get by with a good overall team. Reached his potential in my opinion.

Tier 4:

Mark Sanchez: = : Having a career year of 75 QB rating is nothing to rave about.

Ryan Fitpatrick : = Ever since he signed that extension, he was awful.

Matt Flynn: + Unproven but not unknown. Smart and accurate but needs a starting job to move up.

Sam Bradford: + This year will be revealing and telling. If he gets weapons but doesn't capitalize, then he'll never move up and be a bust. But until then, he's a wait and see.

Matt Hasselback: - : Downside of his career.

Tier 5: Unkowns:

- Mallet
- Luck (rookie)
- Griffen (rookie)
- Locker
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I get that Cam Newton is talented and has a lot of potential, but he's also a turnover machine that only led his team to wins vs. the likes of Tampa, Indy, Jacksonville and Washington. The only win the Panthers had vs a contender was the Texans. People are crowning him a little early.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:49 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Plz respect the Cutler. I think the fact that the Bears went 7-3 with him and finished 8-8 without him says a lot, especially playing with Knox-Roy Williams-Hester-Bennett-Kellen Davis.

I can see him Tier 2, probably mid to low end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:06 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not ranking between tiers - really, really subjective and highly variable at that point.

TIER ONE - ELITE/TRANSCENDENT LEVEL
Drew Brees - The best pairing of coach, player, and system in the league.
Aaron Rogers - No limitations. A rhythm and timing passer with a power arm (incredibly rare).
Tom Brady - "Clutch" play has been forgotten; he's essentially become Peyton Manning - an transcendant player carrying a pretty mediocre team.
Eli Manning - Complete command of his offense, most cold-blooded player in the league. Amnesia from snap to snap (in a good way).
Ben Roethlisberger - Best pure physical talent of this group. All he does is make plays, but he needs to learn protections better.

TIER TWO - FOUNDATION PLAYER
Jay Cutler - Carries his team. Worst situation of any top QB the last few years in terms of scheme, pass-catching weapons.
Matt Stafford - QUIETEST 40 TOUCHDOWN SEASON ******* EVER.
Cam Newton - Kill me if you want - he's going to change the way we judge QBs.

TIER 3 - QUALITY STARTER/PRO BOWLER
Philip Rivers - Overrated because of fantasy football. Mediocre postseason player.
Mike Vick - Biggest "week-to-week" player in the league.
Matt Ryan - Can he be the foundation of an offense? Still a major question. Playoff performances have been abysmal.
Joe Flacco - Underrated IMO. Depending on what BAL does in the offseason, my early money is on him to jump a tier next year. Constantly trying to make throws into tiny windows because of lack of separation at WR.
Matt Schaub - Epitomizes this tier, IMO. Still waiting for a signature win.
Tony Romo - Similar to Vick. Week-to-week player. Frustratingly inconsistent.

TIER 4 - BASELINE STARTER
Alex Smith
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Andy Dalton
Kyle Orton
Sam Bradford (maybe?! I go back and forth with him)

Obviously, there's room for guys to go up or down a tier (like every single year). And I really tried to make clear cutoffs. The hardest one is where ELITE/TRANSCENDENT meets FOUNDATION.

After that, it's pretty bleh. You have guys who I'd feel really good about as backups, but hate as starters (like Sanchez, Cassel, Palmer, Kolb, etc).

I have no idea wtf to make of Freeman. Or Matt Moore. Or Peyton, for that matter.

And way down here is Blaine Gabbert.

Last edited by DraftSavant : 02-06-2012 at 04:23 PM.
DraftSavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:07 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

01. Aaron Rodgers
02. Peyton Mannning
03. Drew Brees
04. Tom Brady
05. Eli Manning
06. Ben Roethlisberger
07. Philip Rivers
08. Jay Cutler
09. Matt Stafford
10. Michael Vick
11. Tony Romo
12. Cam Newton
13. Matt Schaub
14. Matt Ryan
15. Joe Flacco
16. Andy Dalton
17. Josh Freeman
18. Ryan Fitzpatrick
19. Mark Sanchez
20. Carson Palmer
21. Alex Smith
22. Matt Cassel
23. Matt Flynn
24. Sam Bradford
25. Matt Hasselbeck
26. Kevin Kolb
26. Matt Moore
27. Tim Tebow
28. Tarvaris Jackson
29. Jake Locker
30. Christian Ponder
31. Colt McCoy
32. Blaine Gabbert
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:09 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
And Matt Flynn is a exciting prospect? The dude had one good game, and your basing his prospectness off of that and have him over Andy Dalton, who proved himself to be decent in the toughest division QB wise?
But you have no problem to using dude's 'one good game' to try to bring down Rodgers' MVP season. Thank Flynn for those two votes Brees got.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:10 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

blaine over rexy?!!??!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:13 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
I do think some things changed this year. Previously the top guys were pretty clear cut, but I think there has been some changeover here and there. Who are your top NFL QBs RIGHT NOW? As in "this is the order of QBs that I would want to lead my team next year", not factoring in salary cap hit or personal bias for/against, etc.

Elite Tier:

Rogers - Probably solidifies himself as the #1 QB in the NFL next year. Many probably already think that.

Brees - Serious offensive powerhouse. Flawed and benefits from Payton's offense a bit, but still quite elite.

Brady - I think Cap'n Dinkydunk here is overrated, and maybe that is bias. But I admit he's developed into an elite QB. Too bad (for him) the rest of his team sucks now.

Tier 2:

E Manning - If the question was "which guy would you want to head into the playoffs with?" the answer would be Eli. But that isn't the question.

Rivers - this season took him out of the top-tier conversation IMO. He may climb back up next year.

Rapeburger - I wonder how he'll do without Arians. I also wonder what he'd do if he had a good OL.

Stafford - yeah he is young and yeah he has CJ and yeah he's had problems staying healthy. He still threw for 5000 yards, 41 TDs to 16 INTs, with a 97.2 rating. He proved himself this year IMO. I don't need another year to decide.

Tony Romo - I think he has a bad rep and is a good QB. It is hard to succeed in Dallas.

Tier 3:

Cam Newton - I expect him to jump into the next tier next year. Hard to put him too high after one season, even though I was very impressed with him.

Matt Schaub - I think he's underrated, and if he and Andre Johnson can stay healthy next season he'll put up huge numbers, they'll win the South again, and people will start talking about him as a top QB.

Matt Ryan - Steady improvement the last two years but he's still just a "really good" QB. Not "great" and a long way from elite.

Joe Flacco - He had a solid postseason, and he probably is hurt some by a lack of a deep threat. Torrey Smith may turn out to be that guy.

Michael Vick - Yes, he has the potential in any game to be the most dominant football player in the league. However, his age, fragility, and inconsistency scare me. I think the Eagles will regret the contract they gave him.

Jay Cutler - Almost forgot him. I think if Denver had kept him, Marshall, and Shanny he'd be a Tier 2 guy by now easily. What a mess that has turned out to be.

Tier 4:

Matt Flynn - Exciting prospect, but largely unproven. I am looking forward to seeing where he goes and how he does.

Andy Dalton - Surprising first year, hopefully he builds on that and makes the AFCN a 3 team division.

Ryan Fitzpatrick - The Bills faltered in 2011, to put it mildly. But I think with a full offseason and some more roster tweaking Fitzy can be a good NFL QB. Gailey has a good system to build on.

Matt Cassell - I actually think he's a little underrated but we'll see how he does next year.

Carson Palmer - Not sure about this one at all but maybe with a full offseason and a clear vision going forward (without Davis) Palmer will be able to resurrect his career.

Sam Bradford - Still plenty of potential here and kind of a bad situation in STL. Hopefully with some stability and weapons he will improve.

Tier 5:

Mark Sanchez - I think if he'd gone somewhere less flashy he'd be doing better. I think he has talent. But I think he's in a really bad situation and I don't think he's handling it well. I doubt he stays in NY once his rookie contract is up.

Josh Freeman - He showed some talent earlier but had a terrible year in a terrible situation. Bad ownership, bad coaching, questionable talent around him.

Christian Ponder - Showed some promise, not enough to develop much of an opinion yet and I don't have a lot of confidence in Frazier or his staff.

Alex Smith - Sorry, but he is a complete Jim Harbaugh creation. He did well this season. But he is a cog in the wheel.

Kevin Kolb - Maybe he'll do something next year. Or maybe he'll suck. AZ paid a lot for him so I decided to rank him.
I don't see how Bradford has improved his stock. He's done nothing to this point. Plenty of potential is pointless. As for nothing having enough weapons around him and being in a bad situation, virtually the same thing can be said about Smith. Also, I don't think Flynn should be in your ranking system. He's done nothing and not even a starter. He's played two good games in spot duty, but that still isn't an indication long term. And he'll probably be playing on another team next year.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:22 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
blaine over rexy?!!??!
Yeah I'm appalled.

Duke Blue Devils
2010 National Champions!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:28 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here is my top 32, didn't include Matt Flynn since he doesn't have enough games to be considered IMO.

1 Aaron Rodgers- Has had an amazing 2 years, still the best player in the NFL

2 Drew Brees- Awesome season stat wise that will likely get him a monster contract.

3 Eli Manning- You can't spell elite without Eli, and Manning is the most clutch QB in the NFL.

4 Tom Brady- Brady struggled the last 2 games against strong defenses, and I'm a believer that he need a Moss and much better defense to win another ring.

5 Peyton Manning- Yup, I still think if Peyton comes back he will play at a top 5 level, but right now I don't see it happening next year.

6 Matthew Stafford- Stafford had a great season with the much improved Lion team, and if he and Megatron stay healthy he will be a top 5 QB in the NFL.

7 Ben Roethlisberger- Big Ben didn't have the best statistical season, but when healthy he and the Steelers will be Super Bowl contenders.

8 Phillip Rivers- Rivers really struggled at times this year, but with better oline play he should bounce back.

9 Tony Romo- Romo may not have the intangibles of a Rodgers/Brady/Manning/Brees, but I think on a pure arm talent level he can be compared with them.

10 Jay Cutler- Similarly to Romo, Cutler isn't a true leader at QB, but he can still throw the ball with the best of them.

11 Mike Vick- I doubt Vick will ever play 16 full games in a season, and they will hurt his ranking and the Eagles a lot heading into the future.

12 Matt Ryan- I really thought Ryan would step up this year, but he and that Falcon offense still have the talent to put up points.

13 Joe Flacco- Flacco can be bad at times, but I'd take him in a playoff games over many other QB's.

14 Carson Palmer- Call me a homer, but if you don't just look at the stats I actually think Palmer had a good season and could play much better with a full offseason to workout.

15 Alex Smith- Smith is a very solid starting QB, and can win you playoffs games(potentially a Super Bowl if they defense can have a Ravens 2000 season).

16 Cam Newton- I love Cam and I'm praying he can stay healthy for a few seasons in a row to really showcase his talents.

17 Tim Tebow- I think defense's will start to figure out Tebow and the offense similarly to the WildCat a few seasons ago, but if he can improve his accuracy he can keep winning games.

18 Matt Schaub- If Schaub didn't get hurt, it wouldn't be far fetched to stay the Texans could have been the AFC team in the Super Bowl.

19 Andy Dalton- Dalton will still need a season or 2 before he really becomes a franchise type QB, and if the Bengals can keep surrounding him with young talent he will do that.

20 Ryan Fitzpatrick- Fitzpatrick wasn't worth the contract he was given, and I don't expect more than may a wildcard appearance or 2 if he stays as the starting QB.

21 Josh Freeman- Freeman looked bad and could benefit a lot if the Bucs try and give him top talent like Blackmon/Richardson to use in the offense.

22 Mark Sanchez- Sanchez could be on the hot seat if the Jets don't make the playoffs this season, and I'm starting to think Rex Ryan could be shown the door too.

23 Matt Hasselbeck- Solid veteran QB that will likely start 4-8 games next year until Locker is ready.

24 Matt Moore- Moore is a nice QB to have as a back up if you can afford it, but I don't see him winning many games in the NFL.

25 Sam Bradford- I wasn't a huge Bradford fan coming out, and I'm not sure Fisher and the rest of the staff can get things fixed in St. Louis.

26 Christian Ponder- Ponder had some good moments with the Vikings last season, and is a much better QB to have heading forward when compared to Blaine Gabbert.

27 Kyle Orton- Orton doesn't offer much as a leader and in the locker room, and is on the downside of his career.

28 Matt Cassel- Cassel isn't a starting NFL QB, and I can't see him leading the Chiefs into the playoffs(Orton either if he returns).

29 Jason Campbell- Campbell will get a shot next season with yet another OC, and could help ease a rookie QB into the NFL, also a good locker room guy.

30 Colt McCoy- McCoy looks scared at times out there, and I just don't think he has the arm and size to make it in the NFL.

31 Kevin Kolb- Kolb's anther small weak armed QB that will struggle if he doesn't have elite weapons to throw at.

32 Blaine Gabbert- On paper Gabbert looks like potential top 10 QB, but it's obvious to most everybody that he is going to struggle in the next few seasons.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

Last edited by RaiderNation : 02-06-2012 at 04:38 PM.
RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:58 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Tom Brady
3. Drew Brees
4. Ben Roethlisberger
5. Matthew Stafford
6. Eli Manning
7. Philip Rivers
8. Tony Romo
9. Jay Cutler
10. Michael Vick
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Tom Brady
3. Drew Brees
4. Ben Roethlisberger
5. Matthew Stafford
6. Eli Manning
7. Philip Rivers
8. Tony Romo
9. Jay Cutler
10. Michael Vick
Love Stafford, but I'm not ready to name him a top 5 QB.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rodgers
Brady
Brees
Eli
Peyton*
Big Ben

These are the guys who will be hall of famers if they're play doesn't collapse completely next year.

Rivers
Cutler
Romo
Stafford

These are the guys who have the talent and production to be in that top tier but have yet to take their teams on the deep runs that earn a QB the Accolades those top guys have earned. Each is a franchise QB who could be a probowler any season. I was going to talk about how these guys are all reliable standouts but each of these guys is either coming off of a banged up season or has recently had an injured impaired season. Weird.

Vick
Schaub
Newton*

Two guys that when playing at their best are just as good as the guys in the tier above them and at their very best can even go toe to toe with those top tier guys, unfortunately injuries are a big concern for both of these guys as well as a lot of inconsistency and questions about their reliability in big games as Vick has thrown away as many as he has stolen and Schaub just hasn't gotten to be in enough big games to really get an accurate assessment of him.

I put Newton with these guys despite being a rookie who played zero meaningful games because of how amazing his flashes were. If he keeps learning and studying hard so that he can consistently play at or near his best, he'll be an elite QB and one day win a ring or rings. He's really more on par with this next tier because of what he still has to prove.

Ryan
Flacco
Dalton
Hasselback

All guys who can take you to the playoffs and with a good enough team even win you some games once you get there. These are the guys who you don't want to plan on relying on to win you games regularly, but are effective and if a team ignores them can do that for you. Hasselback is always an injury concern at this point, but if he's healthy he's still a smart and precise QB who can take advantage of mistakes. And that's really what these guys are, guys who can be shut down when focused on but can abuse a teams mistakes if they make it easy for them.

Freeman
Fitzpatrick
Tebow
Smith
Palmer
Bradford

Freeman's a big question mark but the good Freeman has been so good that he still will get a shot to prove that this years performance was the result of a HC who was in over his head and lost control. If he bounces back he joins Cam Newton on the brink of that tier of guys who can be elite...sometimes...

Fitzy threw a lot of picks but IMO isn't much worse of a QB than the guys in the tier above him. Like Alex Smith I think next year they can establish themselves as good solid mistake-advantage-takers.

Tebow is just too good of a football player for me to let how bad of a QB he is cast doubt on his desire to win. This is a big offseason for Timmy.

Palmer I just have no clue what to expect. He's looked like the sex cannon this season but with no offseason or chemistry that's not completely surprising. He's another guy who could push himself up a tier or even two next season.

Finally Bradford is a kid I just feel for, he's looked pretty solid when he's been upright. If the Rams can utilize Kroenke's big bucks on a receiver like VJax, snag Kalil and keep working on that D I think Bradford is a guy who'll one day find himself in that "Not quite elite but franchise QB" range.

Cassel
Locker
Flynn
Ponder
Sanchez
Campbell
Moore
Kolb

These are guys who can win you some regular season games and so aren't terrible but either just aren't good enough to do so enough to carry a team through to the playoffs or just still have too much too prove.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Last edited by Rosebud : 02-06-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote