Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:07 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1) Blaine Gabbert
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:09 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
im officially a jaguars fan now...bye bye terrible ravens who waste draft picks on horrible players...the only way the ravens could make this up to me would be by drafting quentin groves or brandon flowers, then i MIGHT forgive them
Hey, at least you were right about Brandon Flowers being a stud!

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:46 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd rather have Blaine Gabbert than Tim Tebow. Why? Because no one will want to kill me when I cut Blaine Gabbert.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:53 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-arnaz-battle/

The Steelers have started the cutting process. Bryant McFadden and Arnaz Battle are the first two casualties.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:57 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
I'd rather have Blaine Gabbert than Tim Tebow. Why? Because no one will want to kill me when I cut Blaine Gabbert.

Yump, that's a sig quote.
DraftSavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:08 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not to mention, Tebow is a better passer.

No really though, check the stats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:14 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Not to mention, Tebow is a better passer.

No really though, check the stats.
I cannot argue with this.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:17 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-arnaz-battle/

The Steelers have started the cutting process. Bryant McFadden and Arnaz Battle are the first two casualties.
not surprising, here is to cutting Kemo next.

Last edited by brat316 : 02-08-2012 at 05:21 PM.
brat316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:38 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Couple of interesting nuggets:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...or-wes-welker/

Greg Bedard of the Boston Globe reports that the "Patriots WILL, not might but WILL," put the franchise tag on Wes Welker.

And that:

Quote:
"Bedard also believes things will turn contentious, with Welker holding out as long as possible, showing up in the middle of the season, signing the franchise tender, and playing out the string of remaining games."
Sounds ugly.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-open-market/

Also, the Chargers are not expected to use the tag on Vincent Jackson, so he will be a free agent.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:55 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The issue with Welker is that he's clearly deserving of a contract extension but he's probably going to want a longer deal than it is reasonable to pay a 31-year old wide receiver (his age at the start of the 2012 season) who takes a lot of punishment going over the middle. My idea of a reasonable contract for both sides would be something along the lines of three years and $24-27 million.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:59 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
The issue with Welker is that he's clearly deserving of a contract extension but he's probably going to want a longer deal than it is reasonable to pay a 31-year old wide receiver (his age at the start of the 2012 season) who takes a lot of punishment going over the middle. My idea of a reasonable contract for both sides would be something along the lines of three years and $24-27 million.
There's no denying that his production is phenomenal and he's the best at that "slot guy over the middle" role.

But, for the kind of money being talked about with a 31 year old WR and the amount the franchise tag would require him to be paid...I'd honestly consider letting him go.

Obviously, another guy wouldn't be able to match his production exactly, but if you were to say, slot Edelman into that role and then use the money you save to go after a Vincent Jackson or a Mike Wallace, I think you'll have a better overall gain for your offense.

Plus you have the TEs to help out in the possession receiving game.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:22 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Boldin got 4/28 with similar wear and tear, add a few mil for inflation and because he is a better player, 4/35 seems about right
fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:42 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
...I'd honestly consider letting him go.

Obviously, another guy wouldn't be able to match his production exactly, but if you were to say, slot Edelman into that role and then use the money you save to go after a Vincent Jackson or a Mike Wallace, I think you'll have a better overall gain for your offense.

Plus you have the TEs to help out in the possession receiving game.
I agree with that for sure.
If they swapped Edelman into that role and added a deep threat like V-Jack or Wallace, imagine that offense with the healthy TE's back.

I don't see Wallace ending up there, but Jackson seems plausible.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:47 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
if edelman had the full-time role, i don't think you'd see a bit of difference. and i don't believe that welker would be anywhere near as effective if he left new england. the pats should just be done with him and use the money elsewhere.
Well, I think there would still be some drop off.

Welker and that offense are perfect for eachother. I don't think Edelman would catch 122 passes for 1500 yards, but would something like 80 catches for 1000 be unreasonable? I don't think so.

And if you get that production out of Edelman, plus pick up a deep threat with the money you save by letter Welker go, the overall gain for the offense would be a lot better than simply bringing Welker back plus some 2nd or 3rd (or worse) tier FA like a Brandon Lloyd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
I agree with that for sure.
If they swapped Edelman into that role and added a deep threat like V-Jack or Wallace, imagine that offense with the healthy TE's back.

I don't see Wallace ending up there, but Jackson seems plausible.
I'm leading the crusade for the Pats to steal Wallace from the Steelers. It would be so epic. That offense would be un-*******-stoppable.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:08 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I don't think the Pats would be foolish to move on.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:45 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i dunno. i think welker is talented, but i think the only reason his numbers look that good is scheme. this is a scheme that the pats were perfecting for years before they had a proper slot receiver, and i don't think edelman is really that much less talented than welker that he couldn't put up the same numbers. further, i think welker goes to another team and turns into eddie royal. not bad, but not a whole lot better than average as a #3 wr.
WW absolutely killed the Patriots whenever we played him before BB went out and got him. I think he'd produce just about anywhere as long as he has a competent QB throwing him the ball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Yeah, I don't think the Pats would be foolish to move on.
Neither do I, but I wouldn't like him to play for anyone but the Patriots. However, if we could franchise him and get a first plus something extra I wouldn't be opposed to it. I think other players would step up and Brady would adjust nicely to not having Welker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:47 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
WW absolutely killed the Patriots whenever we played him before BB went out and got him. I think he'd produce just about anywhere as long as he has a competent QB throwing him the ball.

Neither do I, but I wouldn't like him to play for anyone but the Patriots. However, if we could franchise him and get a first plus something extra I wouldn't be opposed to it. I think other players would step up and Brady would adjust nicely to not having Welker.
You're not going to get a first for a franchised 31 year old 5'10 WR who wants to be paid big money in a long term deal.

So scratch that idea out of your head right now.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:59 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys are either underestimating Welker or overestimating Edelman. Edelman is serviceable. He's not close to being WW in the slot.

Quote:
You're not going to get a first for a franchised 31 year old 5'10 WR who wants to be paid big money in a long term deal.

So scratch that idea out of your head right now.
It only takes one team... but I agree. I could still see him being traded though.

I'd personally like him to stay, we have the cap space to keep him and add pieces.
If he's going to L.Mankins' it up though... no thank you

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:06 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
You guys are either underestimating Welker or overestimating Edelman. Edelman is serviceable. He's not close to being WW in the slot.
Like I said, I wouldn't see Edelman getting 120 catches and 1500 yards. But if you put him in Welker's role and added Vincent Jackson over the top, I think Edelman would get 80 catches and 100 yards to go along with what Jackson and the TEs would provide.

It would be an overall greater benefit to your offense than resigning Welker for top 5 WR money and making do with someone lesser as a deep threat.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:10 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hell, sign Steve Smith on the cheap and let him work out of the slot. He did the same **** In NY that Welker does for NE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:11 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seriously, if Welker's content with the whole hold out thing, let him go, and get yourself Mike Wallace, re-up Branch at a fair deal, draft someone like Tommy Streeter to develop.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:21 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Seriously, if Welker's content with the whole hold out thing, let him go, and get yourself Mike Wallace, re-up Branch at a fair deal, draft someone like Tommy Streeter to develop.
He and Ryan Mallett (whose name I brainfarted on so I googled "cokehead from Arkansas" and reminded myself) will be hooking up for big scores in 2 years when Belichick trades Brady just before he starts his decline.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:26 AM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OMG, an offense with Mallett, Wallace, Streeter, and teh Gronkzz would be so tits.

9 routes all day, baby! Hit dem fadez.
DraftSavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:29 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftSavant View Post
OMG, an offense with Mallett, Wallace, Streeter, and teh Gronkzz would be so tits.

9 routes all day, baby! Hit dem fadez.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:32 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Like I said, I wouldn't see Edelman getting 120 catches and 1500 yards. But if you put him in Welker's role and added Vincent Jackson over the top, I think Edelman would get 80 catches and 100 yards to go along with what Jackson and the TEs would provide.

It would be an overall greater benefit to your offense than resigning Welker for top 5 WR money and making do with someone lesser as a deep threat.
Bolded: If he does this then he'll be the worst receiver in the league :)

Seriously though, 80/1000 is still too much imo. 50/60 and 700 (Branch like numbers) is what I'd expect with Hernandez/Gronk/(FA deep threat pick up; Wallace or VJax would be ideal) picking up the slack left over Welker missing.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote