Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:09 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Best #1 overall pick of our lifetimes

I won't go back to the 1970's where we had:

(1969) OJ Simpson
1970 Terry Bradshaw
1974 Ed Too Tall Jones
1978 Earl Campbell

But since then, going back to Elway in 1983, I think it's an open debate which was the best #1 overall pick.

1983 - Elway, (by Baltimore)
1985- Bruce Smith, no rings, but he was dominant.
1989- Troy Aikman, not the stats, but with a great team, he won.
1993- Drew Bledsoe, don't laugh, he was great for awhile.
1997- Orlando Pace, OL, but an anchor for a long time.
1998- Peyton Manning, obviously great for a long time, plus a ring.
2004- Eli Manning (by San Diego), What would have happened if he was forced to stay in San Diego? Would they have any titles, would Rivers in New York?

Like 90% of the stuff on this board, it's pure speculation.
What do you think? And where are the RB's?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/alltimeno1
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:12 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think I'm going with Elway. For now. Gotta think about this. It's either Elway or Peyton.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In my lifetime, it's probably Peyton right now.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:15 PM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

the_dark_knight hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Oh great topic, at first I was thinking the question would be a lock for Elway, but Peyton has really solidified himself in that Category of elite of all time QBs.

Those are my 2 choices, I'd really have to lean towards Peyton though. I love Elway, and he was amazing to watch and enjoy, but Peyton is on an entirely different level mentally and I love that aspect of football, that chess game that is played. No one has ever been better at it than Peyton, and for the situation he came into in Indy, to be the key component in the franchises rise to prominence, I'll give him my vote.
the_dark_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:37 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since I wasnt born until 89, and I love OL, Im going Pace.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:43 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll say Manning. You could make the argument for Elway being a better player. But the question is best number one pick. Manning has played his entire career with the Colts while Elway never played for Baltimore (the team that drafted him). Because of this, Manning was the better PICK. Who is the better player is a different argument altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:46 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In my lifetime it's Peyton Manning.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Elisha Nelson Manning.You draft a QB #1 overall to win championships. Elisha has won 2 with that Giants. There for he is the best #1 pick in my lifetime.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:06 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's Peyton for me.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:07 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
Elisha Nelson Manning.You draft a QB #1 overall to win championships. Elisha has won 2 with that Giants. There for he is the best #1 pick in my lifetime.
Except he was picked by the Chargers.

Peyton Manning.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:31 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How many people here are really older than 29? I thought most people on here were college age, or just a bit older.

So with Elway out, it's Peyton Manning. Easily.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:32 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aikman doesn't get a mention at all?
Guy got to, and went 3-0 in Super Bowls.
And he was the top of a draft with Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders, and Derrick Thomas. Imagine passing on ALL those guys.... and not regretting it one bit.

BTW, no RB's in the dicussion, which I find very interesting.

The last RB to go #1 overall was 1995 with Ki-Jana Carter. Guy blew out his knee before his first 'real' game.
This season, we saw 2 great rookies in Ryan Williams and Mikel Leshoure blow theirs out before they even played their first 'real' game.
Of course, we saw Jamal Charles knee break in the first real game of this season, and then the great Adrian's blow up later in the season.

RB's, even when they are great and last -which is rarer and rarer each year- like LaDanian and MJD, don't lead teams to Super Bowls anyway.

But look at the QBs.

Here's a refresher for anyone not wanting to click the link:

Andrew Luck
QB
Stanford
Indianapolis Colts

Cam Newton
QB
Blinn Junior College
Carolina Panthers

Sam Bradford
QB
Oklahoma
St. Louis Rams

Matthew Stafford
QB
Georgia
Detroit Lions

Jake Long
OT
Michigan
Miami Dolphins

JaMarcus Russell
QB
LSU
Oakland Raiders

Mario Williams
DE
N. Carolina State
Houston Texans

Alex Smith
QB
Utah
San Francisco 49ers

Eli Manning
QB
Mississippi
San Diego Chargers

Carson Palmer
QB
USC
Cincinnati Bengals

David Carr
QB
Fresno State
Houston Texans

Michael Vick
QB
Virginia Tech
Atlanta Falcons

Courtney Brown
DE
Penn State
Cleveland Browns

Tim Couch
QB
Kentucky
Cleveland Browns

Peyton Manning
QB
Tennessee
Indianapolis Colts

Orlando Pace
OT
Ohio State
St. Louis Rams

Keyshawns Johnson
WR
USC
New York Jets

Ki-Jana Carter
RB
Penn State
Cincinnati Bengals

Dan Wilkinson
DT
Ohio State
Cincinnati Bengals

Drew Bledsoe
QB
Washington State
New England Patriots

Steve Emtman
DT
Washington
Indianapolis Colts

Russell Maryland
DT
Miami, (Fla.)
Dallas Cowboys

Jeff George
QB
Illinois
Indianapolis Colts

Troy Aikman
QB
UCLA
Dallas Cowboys

Aundray Bruce
LB
Auburn
Atlanta Falcons

Vinny Testatcleverde
QB
Miami, (Fla.)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Bo Jackson
RB
Auburn
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Bruce Smith
DE
Virginia Tech
Buffalo Bills

Irving Fryar
WR
Nebraska
New England Patriots

John Elway
QB
Stanford
Baltimore Colts

Last edited by J-Mike88 : 02-09-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:49 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Peyton is probably one of my favorite players ever so maybe I'm biased but I feel pretty safe saying Peyton as the greatest #1 pick of all time

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:50 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Born in '92...... so Jamarcus Russell
Old 02-09-2012, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Peyton Manning by a pretty sizable margin.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Q: "Cam, are you surprised by your fast transition to the pros?"
A: "If you write a good article, do your surprise yourself?"

Last edited by DraftSavant : 02-09-2012 at 08:25 PM.
DraftSavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:35 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Where are the RBs?

Bo Knows where the RBs are!

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
Aikman won 3. Wanna reconsider? ^_^
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:41 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Peyton Manning a little more than Elway and Aikman. Then I'd say Smith and Pace. Then Eli.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:41 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Aikman won 3. Wanna reconsider? ^_^
He said in his lifetime. He might be a younger fan.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:50 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Going to likely either be Manning/Luck for me. I was born in 1992 so hopefully I will get to see some more awesome prospects come out in the future.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftSavant View Post

Look at those cute funky shaped little ears.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:26 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
In my lifetime, it's probably Peyton right now.
+1

Tencharacters.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:33 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

2 WRs taken #1 overall here.

Keyshawn, and Irving Fryar (which was the draft that had Jerry Rice in it, by the way.)

Not Megatron, Fitzgerald, Andre, or Randy Moss.
Not Michael Irvin, Tim Brown, or Sterling Sharpe (all in the amazing same draft class)
Old 02-09-2012, 10:34 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aikman's stats are so far off of how he actually played. Guy was a boss and gets massively under appreciated for what he did with the Cowboys. No I don't believe he's the greatest of all time or anything, and it's fine to think Peyton or Elway had better careers - but Aikman was still great.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote