Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 05-05-2011, 06:35 PM    (permalink
elway=goat
Rookie

elway=goat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.elway=goat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.elway=goat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.elway=goat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.elway=goat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.elway=goat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.elway=goat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.elway=goat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.elway=goat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.elway=goat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.elway=goat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Feds to NCAA: Why no playoffs?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6479279

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- The Justice Department wants to know why the NCAA doesn't have a college football playoff system and says there are "serious questions" about whether the current format to determine a national champion complies with antitrust laws.

Critics who have urged the department to investigate the Bowl Championship Series contend it unfairly gives some schools preferential access to the title championship game and top-tier end-of-season bowls.

In a letter this week, the department's antitrust chief, Christine Varney, asked NCAA president Mark Emmert why a playoff system isn't used in football, unlike in other sports; what steps the NCAA has taken to create one; and whether Emmert thinks there are aspects of the BCS system that don't serve the interest of fans, schools and players.

"Your views would be relevant in helping us to determine the best course of action with regard to the BCS," she wrote.

"Serious questions continue to arise suggesting the current Bowl Championship Series system may not be conducted consistent with the competition principles expressed in the federal antitrust laws," Varney said.

Varney noted that the attorney general of Utah, Mark Shurtleff, has said he plans an antitrust lawsuit against the BCS and that 21 professors recently wrote the department requesting an investigation.

Shurtleff, who met with department officials last fall to discuss a possible federal probe, said at the time that such an investigation was critical to the effort to get a playoff system.

The NCAA said Wednesday it would respond to the government's questions when it receives the letter.

Spokesman Bob Williams said Emmert has consistently said the NCAA is willing to move to a playoff format if schools with the nation's major football programs want to go that route.

Bill Hancock, the BCS executive director, was confident the current system complies with the law.

"Goodness gracious, with all that's going on in the world right now and with national and state budgets being what they are, it seems like a waste of taxpayers' money to have the government looking into how college football games are played," he said.

Under the BCS, the champions of six conferences have automatic bids to play in top-tier bowl games; other conferences don't. Those six conferences also receive more money than the other conferences.

Attorney general Eric Holder referenced Varney's letter at a Senate hearing Wednesday, in response to a statement from Sen. Orrin Hatch, a Utah Republican and BCS critic. Hatch called the BCS a "mess" and said that "privileged conferences" have tremendous advantages over the unprivileged.

"And I just hope that you'll continue to follow up on that particular issue," he said. "It's an important one, I think."

"I don't disagree with you," Holder responded. "You and I have talked about this issue, and I think I'm free to say that we have sent a letter to the NCAA about this issue and will be following up."

Before he was sworn in as president, Barack Obama said in 2008 that he was going to "to throw my weight around a little bit" to nudge college football toward a playoff system.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
Dunno if anyone has posted this year, I didnt see it on the page. But if the feds start pushing this, do you think we finally get to watch a playoff.

"This one's for John" Pat Bowlen
elway=goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:58 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dislike that the government is getting involved a little bit because I think it is a waste of tax money, but I would LOVE to get to a playoff system. Just give me the top 8 teams in a mini playoff and I'm straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:10 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In reality, even a playoff system won't work well for football. You can't play a game every 3 days and the best you would see otherwise is a 4-8 team playoff. Some might be happy with this, but the same shenanigans that go on with the BCS could go on in a small tournament like that.

Just wait... everyone will be wondering why Boise State is only an 8 seed ever or why they only make the tournament every odd year.

You can't have a 64 team tournament in football. It's a far different sport. It's far more violent and takes a larger toll on bodies. It has to be played weekly. Bowl games are played a month after to try to allow most injuries to heal so one team isn't banged up. When you play a tournament, every team will be banged up. I guess it's ok if we have Football March Madness too.

I see huge flaws in the BCS too and it probably violates a lot of laws, but it isn't that much worse than a tournament.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:49 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree a huge 64 team tourney is a ridiculous idea. Football is just too much of a physical toll on the body to play games with in a few days. Its a beautiful fantasy that could never really exist.

I think that a 8 team playoff would help to eliminate boxing out some of the smaller schools. Its a hell of a lot easier for a team to get into the top 8 than the top 2. Yes teams from power conferences would have the advantage but a team if a team like Boise St goes undefeated the will be in the top 8 no matter what. As it is now they would possibly compete for the top 2. No automatic conference bids for the playoff.

From my point of view, I couldn't care less about the individual BCS bowls. I just hate how only 2 teams can compete for the championship. There are teams every year that we say "man they could have easily given the championship team a run for their money if they only had a chance." Just take the top 8 teams and 3 weeks and we would settle a lot of awful debate. If Boise St goes in there and gets blown out, then at least we know for sure. I'd rather debate who is the 8th best team to get in, than the 2nd best team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:54 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
I dislike that the government is getting involved a little bit because I think it is a waste of tax money, but I would LOVE to get to a playoff system. Just give me the top 8 teams in a mini playoff and I'm straight.
you know how much money college football generates? With the implementation of a playoff system, it might just give the economy a little push.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:20 PM    (permalink
zhuo1005
Rookie

zhuo1005 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zhuo1005 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zhuo1005 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zhuo1005 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zhuo1005 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zhuo1005 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zhuo1005 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zhuo1005 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zhuo1005 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zhuo1005 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zhuo1005 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Say to yourself everyday!!
You did really great!
I support you!
Continue to work hard!Continue to share!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Column Wedding Dresses|Empire Wedding Dresses|Trumpet Wedding Dresses
zhuo1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:51 PM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuo1005 View Post
Say to yourself everyday!!
You did really great!
I support you!
Continue to work hard!Continue to share!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Column Wedding Dresses|Empire Wedding Dresses|Trumpet Wedding Dresses
Thank you, I appreciate it.
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:53 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
It's perfect timing with more conferences wanting a plus one though. If NCAA had their antitrust removed, they'd be in deep deep trouble.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:15 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like the Government meddling in pro sports. I think that is a waste of tax money. But college sports I don't mind because the majority of schools are public universities that take Government funds. By having a bowl system that is inherently discriminatory towards 50 teams it becomes Government business. It potentially costs some of these public universities millions of dollars. Money that could go to giving scholarships to students, improving school facilities, and hiring better professors. It is absolutely the responsibility of Congress to do things in the best interest of all universities and colleges in their jurisdiction, not just the 66 (plus Notre Dame) that happen to be in a BCS conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:59 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is just a couple politicians trying to make a name for themselves by going after a popular topic among Americans rather than focusing on real problems. Same as with what happened with baseball. Makes me sick.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:17 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

But with a playoff you would eliminate the need for Conference Championship right? So that takes away another week.

I say make it a 16 team setup, where each bowl is sponsored by someone different (to keep sponsorship open.)
Old 02-13-2012, 12:23 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
But with a playoff you would eliminate the need for Conference Championship right? So that takes away another week.

I say make it a 16 team setup, where each bowl is sponsored by someone different (to keep sponsorship open.)
No. I think you still need the conference championship. A sixteen team playoff would have the champions of each of the 11 conferences plus five at large teams with no limitations (meaning the rule where only two teams from a conference can make the BCS would be eliminated).

This year, the season could have started September 3rd. The regular season would have ended November 26th with each team playing 12 games and having a bye. Conference championships on December 3rd. Throw in another bye week to allow students to take exams. Playoffs start December 17th. Elite Eight on December 24th, Final Four on New Year's Eve, and Championship on January 9th.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
Old 02-13-2012, 12:38 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wish our government would run our country instead of caring about something as inconsequential as sports. if they're going to be bothering with the entertainment business, they should go after George Lucas for what he did with Star Wars, not the NCAA or MLB.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:42 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
I wish our government would run our country instead of caring about something as inconsequential as sports. if they're going to be bothering with the entertainment business, they should go after George Lucas for what he did with Star Wars, not the NCAA or MLB.
Like I said earlier, the Government should not go after steroids in baseball. But they would be neglecting their duties if they ignored the NCAA. Government funds support sports programs. It is the Government's duty to make sure that the NCAA is using these tax dollars to benefit all the member schools, not just a select few. Also, if the NCAA continues to be discriminatory to half of their member schools, they could have an antitrust issue and lose their tax exempt status, both of which are definitely issues pertinent to the Government.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Old 02-13-2012, 12:44 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't turn this into a government conversation please, deal with the playoff question. The antitrust chief feels they may be violating anti-trust laws, thus why it is being questioned by a whole 3 people in the government.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:13 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The BCS system is corrupt as hell, we all know it.

We're taught from a young age that games aren't won or lost on paper, that any team can win. Upsets happen.

Yet voters decide who makes it into their Super Bowl? Really? That would have prevented the Giants or the Packers last year..... I hate the system and it's amazing that the NCAA can keep telling us, with straight faces, that a playoff won't work, despite the fact that the they are the only ones who do NOT have a playoff.

Division 2, all the others, do somehow have time for one.

Corrupt. Stop it.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:15 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am all for a playoff system and less college corruption but I don't think getting the gov't involved is the best way to accomplish either of those things.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:37 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
I don't like the Government meddling in pro sports. I think that is a waste of tax money. But college sports I don't mind because the majority of schools are public universities that take Government funds. By having a bowl system that is inherently discriminatory towards 50 teams it becomes Government business. It potentially costs some of these public universities millions of dollars. Money that could go to giving scholarships to students, improving school facilities, and hiring better professors. It is absolutely the responsibility of Congress to do things in the best interest of all universities and colleges in their jurisdiction, not just the 66 (plus Notre Dame) that happen to be in a BCS conference.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This this this this this this. The government is already involved, because this system rakes in government money by the boatload.

Here's a story on how VT lost money to play in the Orange Bowl: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...ols/50582512/1

UConn lost money the year before (Fiesta Bowl), and Oklahoma likely did, too:
http://articles.courant.com/2011-03-...a-bowl-stubhub
http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/blogs/...117935239.html

Quote:
Oklahoma had a net gain of $9,350 from its Jan.1 date with UConn in the Fiesta Bowl, according to a school official and financial documents submitted to the NCAA.

However, the gain would have been a huge loss had it not been for the Big 12 policy of absorbing much of the cost of unsold tickets. The Big 12 absorbed 10,403 tickets at $1,884,250. The school absorbed 1,530 at $337,080
These are public schools that receive public money.

Ugh.

Last edited by Shane P. Hallam : 02-13-2012 at 01:50 PM.
DraftSavant is offline   Reply With Quote