Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:47 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only wrestling that was ever any good included this man:

That timeframe was probably only "good" because I was under 10 years old.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
The NWO storyline was the best. End of story.
*Sigh* You probably liked Goldberg's 15 second long matches to.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
When did it start dragging on during the LWO vs NWO era?
Starrcade 1998.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:46 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NWO was great because at the time, people believed that Hall/Nash were actually invading WCW while under contract to WWE. Once the NWO became black/white/wolfpac or whatever other crap and added a thousand wrestlers, it became garbage. To me, no group should consist of more than five wrestlers. Arguably, the best group, the Four Horsemen (excluding the NWO era) were always awesome to watch and had some of the best wrestlers of all time. Dangerous Alliance was good too. DX was also good. To me, once a group goes past five wrestlers, it becomes crap because there's too many members to focus on and majority of the time, like NWO, the majority of the group consists of jobbers and crappers thus making the group well, crappy.

I always preferred DX over NWO easily because they more fun to watch. What sucks now about wrestling is that there's no competition anymore and with the internet, you can know what happened before it happened. Back then, when a wrestler jumped from WWE to WCW and vice versa, you didnt know about it. Now, its just no fun.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Punk is easily the most over wrestler in WWE and is arguably the greatest wrestler in the world. Punk wrestled in independents and mainly ROH before going to WWE. Check out his worked shoot from Raw on youtube last July. He was pretty much gone since his contract was expiring but re-signed because the shoot got him over huge and as long as WWE doesnt screw him over, he'll be their top guy for years. Punk and Danielson have also wrestled matches in ROH that went 30, 60 and even 90 minutes long. Arguably, the two best wrestlers in the world today but the sad part is that WWE only cares about "entertainment" instead of actual wrestling. WWE could be awesome but they focus on too much soap opera drama bullcrap instead of actual wrestling which is sad because talent wise, their roster is better than what it was a decade ago but the wrestlers are new and not well known.

Wrestlemania is actually looking pretty good thus far. Punk vs Jericho, Danielson vs Sheamus, HHH vs Taker in the Hell in a Cell thus far as confirmed for WM 28. If they give the Punk and Danielson matches time, they could steal the show and of course, Rock vs Cena but thats just one of those fantasy type matches. I'm not expecting that match to be half as good as the Punk and Danielson matches.

Here's the link to the shoot -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Is9SdaC-X8
No one will ever be as good as The Rock or Hulk Hogan. Even Stone Cold Steve Austin. People just don't care about wrestling anymore I'd say that's the main reason. I tuned in for a few minutes for the first time in years a few months ago. And they take commercials during the actual matches now. I was like WTF? I guess their ratings are so much worse than it used to be.

And unless you are a wrestling fan, I don't think anyone knows who CM Punk actually is.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he is pretty well known at this point, especially since he threatened to beat the **** out of Chris Brown and it got a fair amount of attention.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 02-28-2012, 04:13 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
*Sigh* You probably liked Goldberg's 15 second long matches to.
I did not. I liked Hall and Nash.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:15 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cant fault a guy who loves wrestling and wanted to be apart of it.

Couple of memories: Shawn Micheals Royal Rumble where he didn't touch.
Yokozuna breaking the rope.

Chokeslam that broke the ring.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:01 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
No one will ever be as good as The Rock or Hulk Hogan. Even Stone Cold Steve Austin. People just don't care about wrestling anymore I'd say that's the main reason. I tuned in for a few minutes for the first time in years a few months ago. And they take commercials during the actual matches now. I was like WTF? I guess their ratings are so much worse than it used to be.

And unless you are a wrestling fan, I don't think anyone knows who CM Punk actually is.
In terms of being "over", Austin surpasses them all. Hogan and Rock were over too at their respective time but in terms of wrestling ability, Punk/Danielson surpass all three. Rock was solid. Austin was damn good but once he suffered that neck/spine injury in 1997, he was never the same. Hogan was one of the worst wrestlers of all time.

And you're right, people dont care because there's no competition anymore. Wrestling isnt fun to watch anymore as it was back when WCW and ECW were alive. Ratings for Raw suck compared to the Monday Night Wars. Both Raw and Nitro used to get as high as an 8.0 rating, maybe even higher but now, its around 2.0 to 3.0 so its safe to say that the other 5.0 worth of fans plus the fans of the other show left a long time ago.

For me, im just watching because two of my favorites are the champions.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:03 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wrestling is equally lame throughout all eras. Stuff from your childhood is just remembered through rose colored goggles... and it's hard to admit you liked something so incredibly lame and fake.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:43 PM    (permalink
CheeseKnuckles
Rookie

CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brandon Jacobs is a moron...

Last edited by CheeseKnuckles : 03-02-2012 at 05:45 PM.
CheeseKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:03 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I did not. I liked Hall and Nash.
This is the era difference.

You liked Hall and Nash. I hated them. Here's why with more examples.

You remember Nash.
I remember Steel (NWA/earlyWCW).

You remember Hall.
I remember Big Scott Hall (AWA).

You probably remember Sting's battles with the NWO.
I remember Balde Runner Sting (AWA) and Sting (NWA)

NWO was HORRIBLE to me because it signaled the end. WCW was failing and it made a last ditch effort to survive by signing all of the WWF's "has-beens" and tried to make it work. It just rehashed old characters tome, and made a mockery of whatever goodness was left in certain characters (like Sting.)

Just my $0.02.

Last edited by phlysac : 03-02-2012 at 07:10 PM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's fair and understandable. It's nothing I'm extremely fond of so I don't care much at this point. At the time I loved it though.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:28 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's fair and understandable. It's nothing I'm extremely fond of so I don't care much at this point. At the time I loved it though.
Just illustrates the point. If NWO got old for you,over time, imagine how it felt to those who saw NWO as a retirement home to begin with.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:47 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I fukken hate that pro rasslin in there tights and their rubbin on other boys boner parts n its just fake they aint even hurtin each other!
Old 03-02-2012, 07:52 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post

NWO was HORRIBLE to me because it signaled the end. WCW was failing and it made a last ditch effort to survive by signing all of the WWF's "has-beens" and tried to make it work. It just rehashed old characters tome, and made a mockery of whatever goodness was left in certain characters (like Sting.)

Just my $0.02.
There are so many things wrong with this. First of all, you can't fault people for past gimmicks that they've hate. Stone Cold was STUNNING STEVE AUSTIN, The Rock was BLUE CHIPPER ROCKY MAIVIA, Triple H was TERRA RYZIN, and The Undertaker was MEAN MARK CALLOUS. It's called building up before you ultimately find your total niche. Second of all, it wasn't a signing of has-beens (outside of Hogan, but it's Hogan so bah), as both Hall/Nash were basically entering what should have been their primes. The problem with the nWo is that when Starrcade 1997 came around, when the nWo should have been beaten down and dismantled, they continued to look strong and weren't booked the way they should have been. It has nothing to do with past gimmicks and ages of the wrestlers (well it did to some degree for the latter), but the fact that the nWo went over budding superstars (Goldberg, Benoit, Jericho, etc.) and WCW was incapable of adapting.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 03-02-2012, 08:27 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Abort this thread.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:32 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

NWO was awesome when it started and the Outsiders "invading" WCW was great because people actually thought that there were two WWE wrestlers invading WCW. NWO was awesome when it was a small group. To me, any wrestling stable that goes past 5 wrestlers becomes crap and thats what happened to the NWO. And I agree 100% with Brodeur in regards to Starrcade 1997. It should have been the end of the NWO with Sting winning the title at the end. I dont remember if Sting won but I do remember that match being the worst match of 1997 and Hogan taking the weakest bump in history into the guard rail.

For those who say that the NWO killed WCW, they're wrong. It was the guaranteed contracts for the "top stars" that killed WCW. When Nitro first started in September 1995, they had the cruiserweight division and other great wrestlers like Benoit, Guerrero, etc. WCW talent wise blew away WWE. Once Hall and Nash went to WCW, it was huge but it was also the beginning of the end because once Hogan involved himself in it, you knew it was going down hill.

You look at TNA now, its basically WCW part two. Dixie Carter needs to fire Bischoff and Hogan and bring in Paul Heyman at any cost since there's no way in hell, Jim Cornette would go back there.

And Nash was Steel of the Master Blasters, Oz, Vinnie Vegas, Diesel and then Nash. Hall was the Diamond Studd in WCW before Razor Ramon. As far as wrestling goes, Nash was average at best but Hall was damn good. Shame he let the alcohol and drugs ruin his career and life. And while I never saw them wrestle as a team, Hall and the great late Mr. Perfect Curt Hennig were said to be one hell of a tag team in AWA.

I started watching wrestling in 1989 before WrestleMania V. Also started watching NWA/WCW around the same time. Only other promotion I ever watched on a regular basis was ECW. Never saw Sting as the Blade Runners (with Ultimate Warrior) but Sting was easily the better wrestler. Sting was awesome until he became the Crow or whatever the hell he was during the NWO era. I remember Sting/Flair 45 minute draw at Clash of the Champions 1988 on TBS which I think went head to head with WM IV on PPV.

Wrestling now is nowhere what it used to be but thats because theres no competition either. However, WWE is looking to bring back their lightweight division, improve their tag team division (as they tried to sign away the Briscoe Bros. from ROH but were blocked from doing so) so hopefully, WWE will get better because they have the talent but they dont use it like they should.

And for anyone who watched RAW the other day, they had a perfect opportunity during the triple threat tag team title match to impact that divsion by having Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli jump everyone after that match was over. Instead, they're both jobbers in their minor fed or whatever and Kane did what Hero and Claudio should have done.

Stuff like that is what truly pisses me off about wrestling. Talent that should be used to its fullest is instead used to its emptiest.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:05 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is a Wrestling thread in the Off Topic section.. let's move there.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:54 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Second of all, it wasn't a signing of has-beens (outside of Hogan, but it's Hogan so bah), as both Hall/Nash were basically entering what should have been their primes.
I just disagree and it's a matter of opinion. I don't feel that 38 year olds who have been in the TOP wrestling promotions 8 and 12 years, respectively, are just "entering their primes."

I absolutely LOVED Big Scott Hall in the old NWA, and AWA. He "found his niche," even though he'd already been main event wrestler and tag team champion, as Razor Ramon, and after he bled that dry, he and Nash became the NWO.

To me, there is a difference between being a newer talent trying to make a name for yourself, like Mark Callous and his "Heart Punch" becoming the Undertaker, than being World famous as one character and then switching organizations and being another character, like Hall-Ramon-Hall.

What can I say, I will always have a higher affinity for late 80's early 90's wrestling, than the latter.