Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:16 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
So if you were Drew Brees you would be okay with being paid like the 25th highest paid?
He'd be getting paid more than Aaron Rodgers.

And yeah, i THINK (obviously i dont know cus i've never been in a situation like that) i'd care more about winning multiple superbowls over being able to buy a 10 million dollar house or a 25 million dollar house.

What does an extra 10 million give you? A superbowl win is much more precious IMO.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:29 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
There is no part of me that questions the fact that Warner was, at least for a time, an elite QB worthy of an elite salary. I'm not sure what you were trying to imply, but Warner has some of the most dominant stretches of QB play I can remember. Dude gets hated on around these parts.

I don't know what NFL some people were watching this year, but I watched 6 or 7 saints games and Drew Brees was playing the QB position as effectively as anyone in the NFL. Yes, even Rodgers, but that isn't the debate. I'm pretty sure Brees is a unanimous Top 3 QB, I'm not sure what's more elite then that.
I'm not hating on either. I'm simply calling them dome QBs.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:30 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Brees is seeking a contract that averages $23 million per season for the first three years of his deal, sources told Schefter. That's the same amount Peyton Manning's contract averages the first three season.
Pay-day > NFL affiliated jewelry it seems. Supposedly the Saints are at the 18mil/yr so that's an awful big gap.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:30 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Pay-day > NFL affiliated jewelry it seems. Supposedly the Saints are at the 18mil/yr so that's an awful big gap.
As Deion would say, PAY THE MAN!!!

RIP themaninblack
Old 03-02-2012, 12:49 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He needs to come to NJ.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:19 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
He'd be getting paid more than Aaron Rodgers.

And yeah, i THINK (obviously i dont know cus i've never been in a situation like that) i'd care more about winning multiple superbowls over being able to buy a 10 million dollar house or a 25 million dollar house.

What does an extra 10 million give you? A superbowl win is much more precious IMO.
You're thinking like a fan.

10 million dollars is worth a 9.9 million dollars more than a Super Bowl ring. You take the 10 million over a SB ring every day of the week.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:24 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

10 million dollars is worth a 9.9 million dollars more than a Super Bowl ring. You take the 10 million over a SB ring every day of the week.
You are thinking like an individual.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:25 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Yup, and that doesn't even account for the fact that these guys all have pretty serious egos. When you're one of the best in the business you want to be paid as such, plain and simple.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:26 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
You are thinking like an individual.
Which is what all these athletes are. We are guilty as fans of putting them on a different pedestal, but they're no different than you and me.

The stakes are just higher, that's all.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:42 AM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really want to see what it takes to be a "great" QB.
mqtirishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:57 AM    (permalink
Ngatachance92
Veteran

Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The reason the Saints have been in contention for a Superbowl the last few years is because of Drew Brees and he should be paid accordingly. Drew Brees' agent should announce a figure and the next thing that should come out of the GM's mouth is where do we park the truck?

Take a discount? For what? Consistently being one of the Top 3 QB's year in and year out? This is a game but it is also a business and if they can't afford his services then he will move on and whatever team he goes to will instantly be a playoff team while the Saints fade back into mediocrity.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:06 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post
I really want to see what it takes to be a "great" QB.

You have to be like Tebow and winzzzz play off games and win the fans over with all your football magic winning ways. ....
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:26 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can understand why the contract negotiations aren't being completed as quickly as Saints fans would like. I can see Brees' side of the argument ("I just broke "x" amount of records that stood forever, won a Super Bowl, one of the elites in the NFL") and I can see Loomis' stance ("you're 33").

Since freeing up $5 million by restructuring Will Smith's contact I think the Saints will now be more comfortable offering $24 million a year over the $20-21 they were offering before. I'm confident a deal will get done and the Saints won't have to tag him.

Brees has to be aware that if the Saints tag him then that severely limits their ability to re-sign Carl Nicks, his best bodyguard, and Marques Colston, one of his favorite weapons. What's more important: making an extra $1-2 million a year or seeing your best offensive lineman leave through free agency?

In the Saints system I see receivers being interchangeable. There's a reason why Lance Moore was still effectively dangerous in 2008 when Colston was out most of the year. I'm confident in the scouting department's ability to find receivers that will fit effortlessly into the Saints passing game. That's why I see Colston being more expendable than Nicks. Hell, if NOLA drafted Ladarius Green this year they could run more two TE sets like the Patriots ran this year with him and Graham.

Brees needs to get paid but also not to the detriment of the organization by limiting their ability to re-sign more of their own free agents, especially those that have helped make Brees successful.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:28 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:

I like to think i would be different though. As is said i don't know cus i've never been in that situation.

RIP themaninblack
Old 03-03-2012, 02:51 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post

Brees needs to get paid but also not to the detriment of the organization by limiting their ability to re-sign more of their own free agents, especially those that have helped make Brees successful.
That's why it's an interesting situation. This guy pretty much made that franchise relevant. He has his ring, and records, now it's time for him to get paid. If the Saints don't pay him, which is an option, then perhaps sign or draft a new QB, and hope the Dome and system can make that guy just as productive. It's a risk, and yeah signing Brees may mean not being able to sign the other guys. But that's where you hope you can develop guys, and draft good prospects who can fit that system. You are hoping that works out and guys can be developed by your coaches.

Overall, it's an interesting situation, but he has his ring, stats, and now the Saints need to pay the man what he is worth.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:42 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

https://twitter.com/#!/JayGlazer/sta...43156381515776

The Saints have tagged Brees according to Jay Glazer

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-03-2012, 03:43 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jay Glazer reporting he got franchised. Bye bye Carl Nicks?

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:46 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can he hold out if he wanted to?
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:06 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
Can he hold out if he wanted to?
He can but I doubt he will.

The QB franchise amount is $14.4 mil for this year which is $2 mil less than last year and considerably less than what Brees wanted a year. The Saints should be able to at least re-sign one of Colston or Nicks.

I'm being optimistic when I say this but if they release Jon Vilma they could POSSIBLY be able to re-sign both. I could see Vilma released regardless so that Colston could walk and the Saints re-sign Meachem

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-03-2012, 04:15 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nicks, come play in KC! We'll treat you better! And no bounty system on our team!

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:37 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

The QB franchise amount is $14.4 mil for this year which is $2 mil less than last year and considerably less than what Brees wanted a year. The Saints should be able to at least re-sign one of Colston or Nicks.

I'm being optimistic when I say this but if they release Jon Vilma they could POSSIBLY be able to re-sign both. I could see Vilma released regardless so that Colston could walk and the Saints re-sign Meachem
How much cap space will the Saints have after franchising Brees?

Nicks is going to the highest bidder. Saints gonna be that team?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:44 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

My current guess is that they'll have a new GM in a couple of weeks, and he'll give Brees considerably more than $14.4 mil, and probably something close to what he wanted per year.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:54 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Did the new CBA change the franchise rule at all? If I'm the Saints I tag him next year too, possibly even a third year. Then he's what, 36? At that point you can probably move on, although let me reconsider...YOU'RE THE SAINTS, NOT THE ****ING GREEN BAY PACKERS, PAY THE MAN
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:03 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
Did the new CBA change the franchise rule at all? If I'm the Saints I tag him next year too, possibly even a third year. Then he's what, 36? At that point you can probably move on, although let me reconsider...YOU'RE THE SAINTS, NOT THE ****ING GREEN BAY PACKERS, PAY THE MAN
Franchising a player every year may seem like a good idea, especially in this case where it saves them almost 10 mil, but I think it would hurt you significantly in the long run.

You might never recover in the eyes of future FAs.

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:07 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

5 years, $90 mil, $ 40 mil guaranteed.

Easy. I just signed Drew Brees.
Is the Saints GM that clueless??