Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 03-06-2012, 02:44 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
essential,

It only makes sense for the Bills to deny their interest in a defensive end. Why let teams know who they have to trade ahead of to steal Coples, Upshaw or Ingram?
This is true, although the Bills do seem to be one of the more open teams in the draft in recent years regarding what they're looking for.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:58 PM    (permalink
essential
Rookie

essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.essential is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
essential,

It only makes sense for the Bills to deny their interest in a defensive end. Why let teams know who they have to trade ahead of to steal Coples, Upshaw or Ingram?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
This is true, although the Bills do seem to be one of the more open teams in the draft in recent years regarding what they're looking for.
While I agree most teams tend to do that Scott, I agree with Matthew ... the Bills don't. Since Nix/Gailey took over, they've been pretty open about their intents. They basically told everyone they were taking Spiller when they constantly referred to wanted a "waterbug" type electric running back in their first draft.

Last year they talked a ton about a QB actually and everyone knows they loved Newton, but he went #1, but would have been the pick at #3 if he was there. This year they are talking down DEs when that is what everyone thinks they want. We are picking #10, and even with possible trade-ups all the DEs except possibly Coples should be on the board ... but yea, maybe that's who they want.
UDFA: Chris Burnette (OG) | FA: Jermaine Gresham (TE)

This is the NFL draft, not a boyscout draft.

essential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:24 PM    (permalink
redbills
Pro Bowler

redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea I don't see us taking a back up will in round 2. barnnett has another 2 yrs in the tank at least. I'd go CB in R2 if Upshaw is the 1st pick.
redbills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:22 PM    (permalink
TheSlinger
Rookie

TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Jaguars first pick is tricky. In my mind there are four ~consensus top guys that everybody expects to be gone (Luck, Griffin, Kalil, Claiborne) and then there's a glut of about a dozen guys who you could make an argument for. I suppose Reiff is about as likely as any others although he wouldn't be my pick.

I get that you're trying to pigeon-hole WR to the Jaguars with Stephen Hill since it's such an obvious need. However it doesn't seem to mesh with GM Gene's track record. For one thing, Hill is an underclassman and Gene loves seniors. By my count, of the 20 players he's drafted, only 2 have been underclassmen (Gabbert and Britton). He also prefers guys who have a track record of success and he's tended to go for safer picks early on rather than gamble on upside. Gabbert is the exception to all of these tendencies but let's face it... there's no such thing as a safe QB pick.

At the same time I find it hard to think of a pick that makes sense. Some of the guys who you have going in the second round who seem to fit Gene's tendencies as well as the scheme are James Brown, Lavonte David, Kendall Reyes, Coby Fleener and Alfonzo Dennard... personally Reyes and Fleener sound good to me.

Last edited by TheSlinger : 03-06-2012 at 05:44 PM.
TheSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:22 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice pick for the rams in the 2nd. If they don't atleast get Washington's 2nd rounder I'm gonna be pissed.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Barron a #14 would be a horrible move... Since 2000 there have only been 10 Safeties drafted in the top 15 selections. Of the ten selected, they account for a grand total of 11 pro bowls, 5 of which came from Roy Williams.

With the league trending toward quick spread offenses teams have been recruiting Safeties with plus coverage ability. That is reflected in the fact of those safeties drafted in the top 15 Antrel Rolle, Michael Huff, and Malcolm Jenkins were all college corners. While Sean Taylor, LaRon Landy, and Eric Berry were all athletic freaks coming out of college. Earl Thomas graded out as a plus athlete, Donte Whitner has been a force against the run but shakey in coverage, and Thomas Davis ultimately ended up at LB. Roy Williams was also criticized for his liabilities in coverage and is no longer in the league.

Bottom line, not only is it rare to see a safety taken in the first 15 picks of the draft... it isn't always effective. Out of the players listed above graded Barron just above Thomas Davis for last. He has average mobility at best... he is susceptible to false steps in coverage, and isn't a dominant run stopper.

At best Barron will be limited to SS in the NFL, couple that with the thought that Gerald Sensabaugh is a better fit at that position rather then FS, makes it a bad fit.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:36 AM    (permalink
Sven
Rookie

Sven hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The two round mock has Stephen Hill available for the Vikings in round two, and if he's there I'd say the Vikings should take him. Although linebacker is a big need for the Vikings I think a speed wideout is a bigger need.

With the Packers and Lions able to put big scores on the board, I think it's vital for the Vikings to add offensive talent and fight fire with fire rather than focussing on defence early.

Also the Vikings have shown an ability to find defensive talent in the late rounds, but their record with offensive players taken late is pretty woefull (except for Joe Webb)
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:18 AM    (permalink
Flaming Mo
Rookie

Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It would be terrific if Melvin Ingram would make it to the Jets... he would be a tremendous help to our defense...
Flaming Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:39 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sorry but I don't like your mock a whole lot.

Where is Worthy, Reyes, Stephen Hill and Josh Robinson CB who Mayock said on Path to the Draft, that he is a certain 1st rounder. IMO, Hill has super star ability and will be a dominating pro.

As you know, I'm an Upshaw lover but he had a weak Combine making him strictly a one horse pony as a 4-3 DE because he lacks the ability to drop into coverage, that said, I now see him dropping some with Ingram moving up into the top 10.

What has Barron shown to suggest, he is a top 15 pick in a weak Safety class. I'm not even sure at this point that he will be rated above Harrison Smith, Notre Dame.

How can you still believe that a WR expected to run in the 4.40 range or even faster, and ran a 4.61 at the combine, that Kendall Wright, is still a 1st rounder. Yes, he may get back there after his pro day but until then, I cannot see a small guy like hiremainingremaning in round 1 after his slow 40.

Ditto for Randle WR to Houston at #26.

I cannot see Rick Perry lasting till #28 to GBP's. I think he is a one horse pony as A 4-3 DE but he's going higher than #28 to a 4-3 team.

Zeitler in round 1, I don't think so from what I saw at the Senior Bowl practices.

Glenn over Adams for Detroit, I'd be shocked but I guess it's possible. My guess is Backus is on his last year of playing and Adams would be a decent replacement. Glenn would play OG for them and while he is an improvement, the end for Backus still looms around the corner. Adams could play RT for a year moving Cherlus inside, then have Adams replace Backus when he retires after next season.

Never mind that I'm a Brown's fan and strongly believe they not Washington, will get RG111, wishful thinking on my part of course, but you got to believe.

This mock just wasn't my cup of tea.

Last edited by Iamcanadian : 03-07-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Iamcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:34 PM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Chargers need a OG or a SOLB more than they do another 3-4 DE. If Nick Perry drops that low, he'll be the pick at 18 IMO. If it comes down to an OG like Decastro, or a SOLB like Perry, however, then AJ will pick the OG to protect Philip since that is his number 1 priority.

Also with regards to 3-4 DE, they'll go with Vaughn Martin again over someone like Brocker.

Last edited by Xenos : 03-07-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:59 PM    (permalink
armageddon
Veteran

armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Where's TE Fleener ?
armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:03 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armageddon View Post
Where's TE Fleener ?
Selected 50th overall, by Chicago.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:37 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont think the Bears have the luxury of taking Fleener if Dennard is on the board. We only have Tillman and DJ Moore under contract.

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:05 PM    (permalink
armageddon
Veteran

armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Selected 50th overall, by Chicago.

Thanks, must have over looked him. Would love for the Rams to get him in rd 2 if they acquire extra picks. Bradford will love this guy. He and Kendricks would form a dynamite duo ala the Pats TE's.
armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:37 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
Trumaine Johnson definitely fits the physical frame of what Ted Thompson looks for in a CB, the only question being whether he's fast enough. The Packers definitely prefer tall cornerbacks who can run, as the five most recent corners he's drafted have been 6 feet tall and each ran a 4.5 or better at the combine or their pro days (Davon House is 6'0 1/2" and ran a 4.4, Brandon Underwood is 6'1" and ran a 4.48, Pat Lee is 6'0" and ran a 4.41, Will Blackmon is 6'0 1/4" and ran a 4.47, Michael Hawkins is 6'0 1/4" and ran a 4.41)... so there seems to be a trend here, but it doesn't seem to match up that well with what's available this year.
And that's worked out real well for him hasn't it? ha. Maybe he should focus less on their measurements and more on how they play.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:04 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
And that's worked out real well for him hasn't it? ha. Maybe he should focus less on their measurements and more on how they play.
I'm not sure if you're serious, in the year that Green Bay won the superbowl (you know, about 13 months ago) the Packers lead the league in pass defense. So certainly his priorities in selecting cornerbacks were justified by that.

I mean, if a guy is philosophically wrong about something, I don't think he would end up with the single best unit in the NFL in that category and end up winning a championship to boot.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:11 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I'm not sure if you're serious, in the year that Green Bay won the superbowl (you know, about 13 months ago) the Packers lead the league in pass defense. So certainly his priorities in selecting cornerbacks were justified by that.

I mean, if a guy is philosophically wrong about something, I don't think he would end up with the single best unit in the NFL in that category and end up winning a championship to boot.
Yeah, and this year the Packers were dead last in pass defense...

You gave his requirements for corners he drafts and then showed the 5 crappy players he drafted who fit those requirements. Obviously something's not working.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:13 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
I'm not sure if you're serious, in the year that Green Bay won the superbowl (you know, 13 moths ago) the Packers lead the league in pass defense. So certainly his priorities in selecting cornerbacks were justified by that.

I mean, if a guy is philosophically wrong about something, I don't think he would end up with the single best unit in the NFL in that category and end up winning a championship.

If you're talking about the specific players, well... you also have to consider what you're looking at here. Hawkins was a 5th round pick and a project, Blackmon was a 4th round pick who tore up his knee, Underwood was a 6th round pick cut for his legal troubles, House was a fourth round pick and a rookie last year who didn't play, Pat Lee is the outlier as he's a 2nd round pick and has never been that good.) But when your 4th-7th round CBs don't turn out to be hall of famers, no one is surprised by that (nor should they be.)

Last edited by PossibleCabbage : 03-07-2012 at 11:44 PM.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:26 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Ok, well the two good players he did find are 5'11". Robinson is only an inch shorter and well surpasses the speed requirement you're imposing.

Thompson has never had a CB taller than 6'1". Maybe he doesn't like tall CBs. Trumaine Johnson is 6'3", that's farther away from his average corner height than Robinson.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:12 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I need to apologize to Scott, after watching Path to the Draft discuss Rick Perry, it turns out I was right about him being seen as a one trick pony as a 4-3 DE but wrong about him moving up higher in the draft. I missed that he was less than 6'3" which eliminates the likelihood of him going higher that late first/early second, but right about Green Bay not being his likely destination.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:12 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I need to apologize to Scott, after watching Path to the Draft discuss Rick Perry, it turns out I was right about him being seen as a one trick pony
It's true (sorry couldn't resist)

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:16 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

:D

he really is

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote