Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 03-20-2012, 08:56 AM    (permalink
H.O.O.D
Veteran

H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Vikes to Take Claiborne at #3?

Quote:
Vikings GM Rick Spielman appears to like Mo Claborne over Matt Kalil

LEADING OFF

Last time I ran into Vikings general manager Rick Spielman, he quizzed me. He asked if I knew the starting left tackles for the Green Bay Packers and New York Giants. I shrugged. He wanted to make the point that a left tackle doesn't have to be an all-pro or even well known for a team to be successful.

Here's the flaw in his thinking: The quarterbacks for the Packers and Giants are either all-pro (Aaron Rodgers) or all-pro caliber (Eli Manning). Teams with elite quarterbacks don't need an all-pro at left tackle. Teams with an inexperienced quarterback, like the Vikings, have a much better chance of success when surrounded by all-pro level players, particularly at left tackle.

The discussion came about because Spielman didn't seem to agree with a column I wrote saying he might be in need of a CAT scan if he passes up Southern California left tackle Matt Kalil with the third overall pick in the NFL draft.

It could just be a smokescreen that Spielman isn't gushing about the prospect of drafting a potential all-pro who could be a fixture at left tackle for the next decade. Then again, why a smokescreen is needed when the first two picks already are decided is baffling.

After listening to the Spielman spiel, this much appears certain: If he keeps the third pick and passes on Kalil, Spielman will draft LSU cornerback Mo Claiborne. He raved more about Claiborne than Kalil.

With each passing day, the argument builds that Spielman prefers Claiborne

over Kalil. For one thing, the Vikings haven't pursued a cornerback in free agency. For another, they have expressed interest in offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz, who is nothing special and missed all of last season after hip surgery. Presumably, he fits the type of lineman Spielman thinks you can win with in the NFL.
http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci...rne?source=rss

Spielman does have a point, there are teams who do not have elite QB's and do not have an all pro LT (San Fran has Staley, Buffalo had Bell, Detroit has Backus etc) however the Vikes QB's were sacked 49 times last year and only 4 teams surrendered more sacks. If they pass on Kalil, then he must get a LT at some point, one who could start from day 1 you would think....

If Claiborne does go number 3 this could shake up the top 10 a little or perhaps give Cleveland an opportunity to move down a few spots at the least as one has to think St.Louis may have some interest in moving back up...

Personally I think they should solidify the position and draft the guy who appears to be a franchise LT first and foremost (Kalil). Put the pieces around Ponder to give him his best chance for success.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:00 AM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IMO, this is a smokescreen in an attempt to get someone to trade up for Claiborne. I don't think it is worth the risk dropping back at all, as you said its possible Cleveland then trades back with a team like St. Louis looking to draft Kalil. Minnesota needs a new LT, and Kalil appears to have everything needed to be a starter from day 1, and a good one at that.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:01 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:04 AM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

God, i hope that it is only a smoke screen. You never really know with the Vikings, though.....

It has me slightly concerned.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:06 AM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

it is possible... I don't know if it's likely but it is certainly possible. if this did happen the Rams could get Kalil at 6 (!)

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

bitonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:11 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

they have to take kalil, no way around it.

they can get jenkins or minnifield or someone at the top of the second
Old 03-20-2012, 09:13 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This has to be smokescreen to try and inflate the value of the #3 pick. The Vikings are a team with a lot of holes. Teams like the Bucs/Rams could also use a DB and trying to get them into a bidding war and attempt to get an extra draft pick.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:15 AM    (permalink
H.O.O.D
Veteran

H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
it is possible... I don't know if it's likely but it is certainly possible. if this did happen the Rams could get Kalil at 6 (!)
One has to wonder if Carolina, Buffalo or Arizona would be interested in trading up to leapfrog the Rams ?

It could very well be a smokescreen but then again one never truly knows, stranger things have happened. And this is the same guy who took Ponder at 12 last year.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:18 AM    (permalink
H.O.O.D
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
This has to be smokescreen to try and inflate the value of the #3 pick. The Vikings are a team with a lot of holes. Teams like the Bucs/Rams could also use a DB and trying to get them into a bidding war and attempt to get an extra draft pick.
I'd think the Rams would be more than pleased if Minnesota took Claiborne. They could use him yes, but they also could use Justin Blackmon and Matt Kalil. I don't think they will get the Rams to bite on the idea moving up for Claiborne.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:18 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No, I actually agree with this. Sure, maybe it is a smokescreen, but I remember making the point a few months ago that the left tackle position had become massively overvalued and that sinking $40M guaranteed into that one position was a waste. DCs move pass rushers around to find the best matchup, you can't have a blue chip LT and a crap line everywhere else.

The last 10 SB winners:

Giants
Packers
Saints
Steelers
Giants
Colts
Steelers
Pats
Pats
Bucs

Of those teams the most notable LT is Matt Light. The last team to win the SB with an All-Pro level LT is the Ravens. But even then, that team won with defense and running the ball.

I'm not saying I'd take Claiborne over Kalil, all else being equal. I'm not sure I would. But if I thought CB was the bigger need I would definitely consider it. I think the importance of LT has been a mantra we've parroted back and forth at each other for so long we've forgotten to really assess how true it is.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:24 AM    (permalink
TheSlinger
Rookie

TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheSlinger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you were trying to drive up the value of the pick why would you pretend to want the lower-rated player?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:28 AM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Taber21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
No, I actually agree with this. Sure, maybe it is a smokescreen, but I remember making the point a few months ago that the left tackle position had become massively overvalued and that sinking $40M guaranteed into that one position was a waste. DCs move pass rushers around to find the best matchup, you can't have a blue chip LT and a crap line everywhere else.

The last 10 SB winners:

Giants
Packers
Saints
Steelers
Giants
Colts
Steelers
Pats
Pats
Bucs

Of those teams the most notable LT is Matt Light. The last team to win the SB with an All-Pro level LT is the Ravens. But even then, that team won with defense and running the ball.

I'm not saying I'd take Claiborne over Kalil, all else being equal. I'm not sure I would. But if I thought CB was the bigger need I would definitely consider it. I think the importance of LT has been a mantra we've parroted back and forth at each other for so long we've forgotten to really assess how true it is.
All of those teams LT's were playing better than Charlie Johnson did last year. It's not going to cost them $40m guaranteed for Kalil either. I accept that CB is a huge need, and that all those teams won the SB w/o a top 5 LT... but Claiborne does not appear to be Deion Sanders or Darrelle Revis. I think Kalil is BPA at a position of value and equal need.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:30 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taber21 View Post
All of those teams LT's were playing better than Charlie Johnson did last year. It's not going to cost them $40m guaranteed for Kalil either. I accept that CB is a huge need, and that all those teams won the SB w/o a top 5 LT... but Claiborne does not appear to be Deion Sanders or Darrelle Revis. I think Kalil is BPA at a position of value and equal need.
The Charlie Johnson contract was pretty awful. I still can't believe the Vikings paid him so much. He's a swing tackle.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-20-2012, 09:35 AM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Quote:
The Charlie Johnson contract was pretty awful. I still can't believe the Vikings paid him so much. He's a swing tackle.
At least he should (if they are smart and draft Kalil) get kicked inside and won't be AS BIG of a liability. I didn't like the signing when they made it, should have just been a one year deal. They were relying on Mckinnie to play last year, but he showed up at camp weighing 380 or so and they cut him with no one else capable of playing LT, panicked and overpaid Johnson.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:35 AM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What does the Vikes BB look like as of now (Top 5 BB)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown
The most important thing, however, is how strong their swagger factors are.
Newton
South of the Mason Dixon +10 swagger
Barely literate +5 swagger
Thief +15 swagger
Kicked off of a team of thugs +20 swagger
Big, average speed -3 swagger
Hasn't done jacksquat on the field +15 swagger
Total Swagger: 62
ATL College Park Zone 3* +20 swagger Bonus pts
shylo3716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:40 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
This was an awesome, awesome post.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:48 AM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the Vikes take Claiborne and the Browns take Richardson... What do the Bucs do?

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:53 AM    (permalink
Taber21
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder&Lightning View Post
If the Vikes take Claiborne and the Browns take Richardson... What do the Bucs do?
Trade back? Someone would want Kalil badly enough you would think.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:02 AM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hope that someone wants to trade up? Kuchely would probably be the best pick for them there IMO.
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:04 AM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Id say just take Blackmon

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:07 AM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

The last 10 SB winners:

Giants
Packers
Saints
Steelers
Giants
Colts
Steelers
Pats
Pats
Bucs
how many of those teams had shut down #1 CB? the Packers maybe? Saints had a few good ones, none as good as Claiborne. the logic cuts both ways. in some sense the only position that matters is QB.

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

bitonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:12 AM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Id say just take Blackmon
IMO, if the Vikings aren't taking Kalil, Claiborne is a much better pick at #3 than Blackmon.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:33 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he's just ******* with the beat writer more than smokescreening.

He definitely wants to trade the pick, but he's not taking Claiborne OVER Kalil.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:59 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
how many of those teams had shut down #1 CB? the Packers maybe? Saints had a few good ones, none as good as Claiborne. the logic cuts both ways. in some sense the only position that matters is QB.
I wasn't trying to prove the worth of the CB position. I am saying a top 5 LT is not required to win a SB and is overrated.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-20-2012, 12:04 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been saying this for a while. The Vikings are in dire straits in their secondary and may need three if not four new starters. I still think there is a strong chance that Minnesota trades down, but if they stay at #3 Kalil is the favorite but Claiborne is very much in the conversation.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote