Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:35 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngatachance92 View Post
If they already have Parcells lined up the candidate they bring in to satisfy the Rooney Rule will just be there as a formality, they might as well just grab a random black person in the hall and interview him.
just interview the least capable black guy makes sure you can say you judged the interviews fairly

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:14 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
And to buy time until Payton's appeal is heard:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...pension-today/

I mean...I guess it's worth a shot. But the guy hearing the appeal is the exact same one who gave out the punishment in the first place. I find it unlikely he succeeds in any way.
There should be a system of checks and balances in the NFL and other leagues. If a commissioner hands down a ruling now then it's final because there's not another governing body to appeal to which makes the system more a dictatorship.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:30 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
There should be a system of checks and balances in the NFL and other leagues. If a commissioner hands down a ruling now then it's final because there's not another governing body to appeal to which makes the system more a dictatorship.
Well, by signing a contract to be part of the NFL, you apparently accept that.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:13 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Well, the fact that the commissioner is selected by the owners somewhat negates the dictatorship. Although I will admit, I am a bit unfamiliar with what say the players have in the selection process.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:36 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
Well, the fact that the commissioner is selected by the owners somewhat negates the dictatorship. Although I will admit, I am a bit unfamiliar with what say the players have in the selection process.
I believe that the players have about as much say in who's picked as NFL Commissioner, as the owners have in selecting the Director of the NFLPA.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:47 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NFLPA warns Saints players regarding possible criminal charges

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...minal-charges/
Quote:
The Associated Press reports that the NFLPA has informed players of the possibility that criminal charges will be pursued. In preparation for this possibility, the NFLPA has hired outside counsel to represent the players.

The union also has suggested that both an NFLPA representative and the lawyer be present for any interviews that may occur with NFL investigators.
I doubt that criminal charges are brought against the players, because the US Courts have usually deferred to the sports leagues in regard to on-field matters. Nevertheless, this is a smart move by the NFLPA.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:49 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Criminal charges should be ridiculous. Why open the league up to damaging litigation like that?

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:28 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
NFLPA warns Saints players regarding possible criminal charges

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...minal-charges/

I doubt that criminal charges are brought against the players, because the US Courts have usually deferred to the sports leagues in regard to on-field matters. Nevertheless, this is a smart move by the NFLPA.
As I said on PFT, I don't understand how you can pursue criminal charges against any player for this. (or anyone else for that matter) What was done was within the realm of football. It's not like someone bought something outside of football into this matter. There are rules in place to deal with these kinds of things and they have been enforced.

I could understand it if it were already illegal to hit someone late (there are tons of players that could be locked up for this), but it isn't.

Paying someone to do something that is already legal doesn't make it illegal.

If we want to criminalize late hits, that's one thing. It's an entirely different situation when we want to just criminalize paying for hits (late or not).

Also, why isn't baseball and hockey being investigated? Have you see the fights that go on during games??? Also, Hockey has a higher rate of serious injury than football (especially at the high school and developmental levels).

This seems like people are just over-reacting. No, the Saints did something wrong and are being punished. Arguably that punishment is a bit lite (not the point), but the scope of that punishment fits. Trying to take the event and move it to a new scope (the criminal realm) is asinine.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:45 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

Several NHL players have faced criminal charges for on-ice incidents, but the most recent ones (to my knowledge) have all taken place in Canada. I'd be pretty shocked if courts in the US decided to prosecute players, even if the facts end up being significantly worse than what we've heard. This is probably just a case of the NFLPA informing the players of the worst-case scenario of the situation, and going out of their way to ensure that players don't say anything stupid (and really, having an outside defense attorney in the room even during NFL questioning isn't a horrible idea).

My guess (and it's only a guess, based on reading the interwebz) is that their concern is that Williams may eventually face conspiracy charges, and several of the players could go down with him. Even that seems like an awfully unprecedented move, though. As long as American athletes aren't using steroids, our court system (thankfully) doesn't seem to care what goes on "in-house."

Last edited by WCH : 04-02-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:06 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

that's classy.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:30 AM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post

that's classy.
I'm sure his family & friends must be looking on with pride. This ******* douche bag should be out of the game permanently. ******* worthless piece of ****

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:35 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

PFT broke it down, here are some of the quotes in writing:

Quote:
At one point Williams says, ‘We hit [expletive] Smith right there’ – then he points under his chin [and continues] – ‘remember me.’ Then he rubs his thumb against his index and middle fingers – the cash sign – and says, ‘I got the first one. I got the first one. Go get it. Go lay that [expletive] out.
Quote:
Williams has long loved the phrase, “Kill the head and the body will die,” and he used that phrase in talking to his players. He also specifically told them to go for the head of 49ers running back Frank Gore.

“We’ve got to do everything in the world to make sure we kill Frank Gore’s head,” Williams told his players. “We want him running sideways. We want his head sideways.”
Quote:
Williams also talked about trying to inflict a knee injury on 49ers receiver Michael Crabtree and referenced 49ers receiver Kyle Williams, who has had multiple concussions.

“We need to find out in the first two series of the game, the little wide receiver, No. 10, about his concussion,” Gregg Williams told his players about Kyle Williams. “We need to [expletive] put a lick on him, move him to decide. He needs to decide.”
Old 04-05-2012, 07:38 AM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel confident in saying Gregg Williams has coached his last game ever
Old 04-05-2012, 07:41 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-RICH49 View Post
No doubt. The league isn't going to look to kindly on him telling his players to "kill someone's head" given the current political climate on concussions.

I think a good number of players are in for bigger than expected suspensions too.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:45 AM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alex went 24/42 3TD's 0 INTs & 1 rush Td
Gore ave 6.8 yards
Vernon 7/180 & 2TD's inc the game winner from Smith with 9 secs on clock

Guess the game went as planned? **** Willams & every ******* defensive player that bought into this ******** bounty scheme. I hope everyone gets whats coming to them

Old 04-05-2012, 07:48 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-RICH49 View Post
If he ever coaches again it'll be complete disgrace. I'm all for physical football and legal hits but when you start advising players to "attack the head" on players with concussion issues you've crossed a line. You no longer want to play football you want to maim and injury.

Every competitive football player should be looking for best 11 vs best 11. Not lets injury their starter so we can play against backups.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:55 AM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anyone still feel that the penalties are too harsh?
That is completely and utterly ridiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:56 AM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ya after watching that Greg Williams should never coach again, and the Saints no doubt deserved the punishment they received.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:05 AM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

Only thing more I want now is Brees to refuse to sign the tag & they suffer through a year with Chase Daniel. Maybe 1 drink too many on a Fri night but I can't see Brees wanting to hang around with a mob thats likely to have most of the defense suspended & an owner that trying to low ball him

Old 04-05-2012, 08:18 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan View Post
Only thing more I want now is Brees to refuse to sign the tag & they suffer through a year with Chase Daniel. Maybe 1 drink too many on a Fri night but I can't see Brees wanting to hang around with a mob thats likely to have most of the defense suspended & an owner that trying to low ball him
Supposedly they already have a deal of $123 million in place. They're probably waiting for the league to announce player suspensions and appeal decisions on the coaches, then they'll announce the Brees extension to take some of the sting out of it.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:49 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea Brees just needs to leave the Saints and move on. We can use him in SF or some other team on the east coast maybe even AZ or Miami even .
Old 04-05-2012, 09:18 AM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am shaking after hearing that
Old 04-05-2012, 09:20 AM    (permalink
rockio42
Pro Bowler

rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hmm I don't care about Gore or Smith. I've had coaches talk like that and I doubt he's the only one who said stuff like that. The fact that people are actually surprised is just plain naive. The bigger problems are his calls on Williams cause of his concussion problems (which he even mentions) and the comment about going after the "other", or whatever he said, ACL.

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.
rockio42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:30 AM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah the ACL part is probably the only bad part. The concussion stuff could be from 2 years ago before anyone cared about concussions. I heard worst from my Pop-Warner coach.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:31 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
Yeah the ACL part is probably the only bad part. The concussion stuff could be from 2 years ago before anyone cared about concussions.
That entire thing was from before the Saints/49ers playoff game this year.