Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-04-2012, 02:50 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Garrett always talks about earning your position despite pay, despite experience, despite draft position etc etc etc. Why would you then safely assume that Scandrick is exempt from competing for his position? That there's no way the team would look at upgrading a position where we were statistically ranked at the bottom of the league at? A position that was a leaky hole all season long? *shrugs*

What if he gets hurt again, like he often is?
Again, wrong. Scandrick has played in all 16 games in his first 3 seasons in the league, and then he miss 3 this year with a high ankle sprain. Which also is a freak injury when someone lands on you the wrong way. So 61 out of 64 games in his first 4 years? I think that's pretty damn "durable" don't you?

http://www.nfl.com/player/orlandoscandrick/2307/profile

As for improving on him, whether you want to accept it or not the team thinks he is a great slot corner. Unless he gets hurt which is unlikely because he is always healthy, he is going to be our slot corner. There's no point in talking about a hypothetical that has no chance in happening.

If we get a CB in the draft who can play the slot then ok that's cool, but he isn't starting over Scandrick there. Besides, when a team goes 4 wides there are 2 slots, so you kind of need 2 slot corners anyway.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:56 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Again, wrong. Scandrick has played in all 16 games in his first 3 seasons in the league, and then he miss 3 this year with a high ankle sprain. Which also is a freak injury when someone lands on you the wrong way. So 61 out of 64 games in his first 4 years? I think that's pretty damn "durable" don't you?

http://www.nfl.com/player/orlandoscandrick/2307/profile

As for improving on him, whether you want to accept it or not the team thinks he is a great slot corner. Unless he gets hurt which is unlikely because he is always healthy, he is going to be our slot corner. There's no point in talking about a hypothetical that has no chance in happening.

If we get a CB in the draft who can play the slot then ok that's cool, but he isn't starting over Scandrick there. Besides, when a team goes 4 wides there are 2 slots, so you kind of need 2 slot corners anyway.
First off, I think it's pretty naive to think that injuries in the NFL are "freak injuries". LOL. It's an extreme contact sport man.

...and whether you like it or not... the team is looking for CBs in the draft... all over the draft. All kinds of CBs. Happy to see them bring in Ron Brooks who I think would compete with Scandrick. Dude is flying up the draft boards. I seen him projected to the 3rd round today!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Another thing about Janoris Jenkins that I love is that he has a proven record of shutting down top WRs.

Alshon Jeffery - 6 catches, 53 yards, 0 TDs - 2010
Alshon Jeffery - 6 catches, 57 yards, 0 TDs - 2009

AJ Green - 4 catches, 42 yards, 1 TD - 2010
AJ Green - 3 catches, 50 yards, 0 TDs - 2009

Julio Jones - 4 catches, 19 yards, 0 TDs - 2010
Julio Jones - 2 catches, 28 yards, 0 TDs - 2009

...and when Florida had both Haden and Jenkins, Jenkins was the guy covering the other team's top WR.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:16 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Updated Mock

1a. Quinton Coples- DE/OLB- North Carolina

1b(trade back). Peter Konz- C- Wisconsin

2a. Brandon Boykin- CB- Georgia

2b. Bruce Irvin- OLB- West Virginia

3a. Jared Crick- DE- Nebraksa

3b. Billy Winn- DE- Boise State

4a. Ryan Broyles- WR- Oklahoma

4b. Jayron Hosley- CB- Virginia Tech

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I'll take an order of 1A, 2A, 2B, and 4B please.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:49 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Figured now I'll do a mock with more of the players we have brought in/interviewed/private workouts.

1) Fletcher Cox, DT, MSU
Can play any position across our front but enough has been said already on him. Looking for him to generate pressure from the 5-tech position.

2) Kevin Zeitler, G/C, Wisconsin
Versatility and solid anchor. Expect for him to be day 1 starter at center.

3) Casey Hayward, CB, Vanderbilt
Versatility again (sensing a pattern). Can project as both a centerfielder FS and CB (although I feel his best fit is cover 2). Smart, hard-working, and quick to jump routes.

4) Jake Bequette, OLB, Arkansas
My pet cat :) Is a deceptive athlete but plays extremely smart and uses his power effectively. Very good at anchoring and shedding blocks.

4c) Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma
Slight reach as he projects as a permanent slot WR but is extremely quick and possesses the smooth route runner to be an effective target on the inside.

5) Emmanuel Acho, ILB, Texas
Excellent instincts that allow him to play faster than his timed speed. Hard-working (another pattern!), tackles well with solid ability to shed blocks and provide additional pass rush.

6) Ron Brooks, CB, Louisiana State
Very similar to Casey Hayward. Versatility (CB/FS), smart, hard-working. Instant special teams performer with "plus" potential.

7) G.J. Kinne QB, Tulsa
Short and old will push him down way further than he should. There's a bit of Romo in him in that he has an extremely quick release and can "Houdini" himself out of pressure. Will fight McGee for the right to backup the backup.

Not the flashest of mocks but might be more in line with what actually happens on draft day. I am certain though that we'll be working the phones trying to trade down from 14.

Last edited by Trogdor : 04-04-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Figured now I'll do a mock with more of the players we have brought in/interviewed/private workouts.

1) Fletcher Cox, DT, MSU
Can play any position across our front but enough has been said already on him. Looking for him to generate pressure from the 5-tech position.

2) Kevin Zeitler, G/C, Wisconsin
Versatility and solid anchor. Expect for him to be day 1 starter at center.

3) Casey Hayward, CB, Vanderbilt
Versatility again (sensing a pattern). Can project as both a centerfielder FS and CB (although I feel his best fit is cover 2). Smart, hard-working, and quick to jump routes.

4) Jake Bequette, OLB, Arkansas
My pet cat :) Is a deceptive athlete but plays extremely smart and uses his power effectively. Very good at anchoring and shedding blocks.

4c) Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma
Slight reach as he projects as a permanent slot WR but is extremely quick and possesses the smooth route runner to be an effective target on the inside.

5) Emmanuel Acho, ILB, Texas
Excellent instincts that allow him to play faster than his timed speed. Hard-working (another pattern!), tackles well with solid ability to shed blocks and provide additional pass rush.

6) Ron Brooks, CB, Louisiana State
Very similar to Casey Hayward. Versatility (CB/FS), smart, hard-working. Instant special teams performer with "plus" potential.

7) G.J. Kinne QB, Tulsa
Short and old will push him down way further than he should. There's a bit of Romo in him in that he has an extremely quick release and can "Houdini" himself out of pressure. Will fight McGee for the right to backup the backup.

Not the flashest of mocks but might be more in line with what actually happens on draft day. I am certain though that we'll be working the phones trying to trade down from 14.
Sign me up for Rounds 2, 3, 4c and 6! That said, I think Brooks is going to go a lot higher than Round 6. Just saw today on a notable draft website him going in Round 3.

Hayward is smooooth. I wonder if he'd ever be considered a switch to FS too??? Maybe that's too far out there. Bequette, I'm luke warm on.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Sign me up for Rounds 2, 3, 4c and 6! That said, I think Brooks is going to go a lot higher than Round 6. Just saw today on a notable draft website him going in Round 3.

Hayward is smooooth. I wonder if he'd ever be considered a switch to FS too??? Maybe that's too far out there. Bequette, I'm luke warm on.
Agreed on Brooks I based his "current" stock on a combination of CBS, National Football Post, and a few others which haven't really caught up to him. Hayward should be open to the move considering it was one of his former positions :)

While he's "quick but not fast" for a CB he'd have borderline "elite" speed for a FS at 4.5 :)

I'll be riding the Bequette train I liked him when we first interviewed him before he decided to blow up all the marks for pass rushing OLBs.

For the "sackSEER" formula used to project pass rushers (best out of all the random crappy formulas admittedly) they call for the following:

Production Ratio of 1.00 or better: Bequette (1.14)

Speed Score of 100 or better: Bequette (101.5)

Explosion Score of 70 or better: Bequette (67.5) - JUST missed by 2 reps on the bench

Lateral Agility of 0.50 or better: Bequette (0.75)

His short shuttle (often pointed to as "the" best test for a 3-4 OLB other than drills)? 4.07 second best behind Bruce Irvin with a blistering 4.03.

DeMarcus Ware's time? 4.10

Anthony Spencer's time? 4.43 (LOL!)

The only prospect this year that meets all criteria is..... Melvin Ingram.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:28 PM    (permalink
primetime217
Rookie

primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.

This is my first time attempting a mock, and I am looking at a few others to get a good hint of what round the prospects are projected for. Here we go...

1. Mark Barron- I can realisticallly see this as the pick. Theres a few others I'd like before him, but I expect them to be gone. Leadership was a problem last year, and i think he can be that vocal leader we need back there.

2. Andre Branch- This might be a stretch, because I think he could be gone by the time we're on the clock, but I've seen a few mocks where he is being drafted in the 40's. He can be the insurance depending on what happens with Spencer next year.

3. Jared Crick- We wanted JJ Watt last year, but chose Tyron instead. In Watt, we could get the "poor man's Watt". I think he could apply pressure playing the 5 technique.

4. Joe Adams/Ryan Broyles- I would love to see Joe Adams with the star on his helmet. He would work great in the slot, and be an immediate upgrade in the return game. Broyles wouldn't be a bad consolation.

4c. Brandon Washington- HUGE offensive guard who could provide depth while also pushing for a starting job.

I don't want to go much farther, because it becomes basically impossible to predict, but there's my best guess. I realize some of these guys might not be there while we're on the clock, but i'm basing my draft on where other mocks had the prospects.

Let me know what you guys think. Also, I would love some suggestions for the 5th, 6th, and 7th round.
primetime217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:30 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime217 View Post
This is my first time attempting a mock, and I am looking at a few others to get a good hint of what round the prospects are projected for. Here we go...

1. Mark Barron- I can realisticallly see this as the pick. Theres a few others I'd like before him, but I expect them to be gone. Leadership was a problem last year, and i think he can be that vocal leader we need back there.

2. Andre Branch- This might be a stretch, because I think he could be gone by the time we're on the clock, but I've seen a few mocks where he is being drafted in the 40's. He can be the insurance depending on what happens with Spencer next year.

3. Jared Crick- We wanted JJ Watt last year, but chose Tyron instead. In Watt, we could get the "poor man's Watt". I think he could apply pressure playing the 5 technique.

4. Joe Adams/Ryan Broyles- I would love to see Joe Adams with the star on his helmet. He would work great in the slot, and be an immediate upgrade in the return game. Broyles wouldn't be a bad consolation.

4c. Brandon Washington- HUGE offensive guard who could provide depth while also pushing for a starting job.

I don't want to go much farther, because it becomes basically impossible to predict, but there's my best guess. I realize some of these guys might not be there while we're on the clock, but i'm basing my draft on where other mocks had the prospects.

Let me know what you guys think. Also, I would love some suggestions for the 5th, 6th, and 7th round.
Not really my favorite names in the draft, but I could see some of those things easily happening. Only one that really sticks out is Brandon Washington who I don't think will last that long.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:58 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1) Dontari Poe DE/NT Memphis, HUGE upside.... immediate upgrade over Kenyon Coleman at LE and is a jumbo 5tech that will occupy blockers. Type of guy that opens players up for the Ware, Ratliff, and Spencer in the pass rush or shield blockers away from Carter and Lee in pursuit. As he gets coached up he will learn to split double teams and mack more of an impact getting after the QB.

2) Kevin Zeitler C Wisconsin- with the additions to G in FA Zeitler will get a shot to take over for Phil Costa at center. Will provide an immediate upgrade in the run game with is size and nasty streak.

3) Coryell Judie S Texas A&M- College corner who can make the jump to FS imo. A shade under 6 feet and 195 lbs... ran a 4.48 at the combine with a 37 in vert. Aggressive and solid enough as a wrap up tackler to make the transition from corner. Great ball skills and can make athletic plays with the ball in the air. Great field vision and a threat to score with the ball in his hands.

4) Devon Wylie WR Fresno St- Good Ball Skills... fast in and out of breaks and is a threat to bust big plays from anywhere on the field. Perfect for the slot.

4c) Omar Bolden CB ASU- Top 40 player in this draft if healthy... two severe knee injuries knock him down in the draft but the team has showed faith in the trainers before to rehabilitate players back to their original promise.

5) Jamie Blatnick OLB OSU- Essentially played a 3-4 OLB in college... solid passrusher who can add depth behind Spencer.

6) George Bryan TE NC STATE- Developmental blocking tight end... wont provide much downfield but can catch the short and intermediate balls when not inline blocking.

7) Aston Whiteside ILB Abilene Christian- Small school run stuffer... could make an impact on special teams
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:12 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
1) Dontari Poe DE/NT Memphis, HUGE upside.... immediate upgrade over Kenyon Coleman at LE and is a jumbo 5tech that will occupy blockers. Type of guy that opens players up for the Ware, Ratliff, and Spencer in the pass rush or shield blockers away from Carter and Lee in pursuit. As he gets coached up he will learn to split double teams and mack more of an impact getting after the QB.

2) Kevin Zeitler C Wisconsin- with the additions to G in FA Zeitler will get a shot to take over for Phil Costa at center. Will provide an immediate upgrade in the run game with is size and nasty streak.

3) Coryell Judie S Texas A&M- College corner who can make the jump to FS imo. A shade under 6 feet and 195 lbs... ran a 4.48 at the combine with a 37 in vert. Aggressive and solid enough as a wrap up tackler to make the transition from corner. Great ball skills and can make athletic plays with the ball in the air. Great field vision and a threat to score with the ball in his hands.

4) Devon Wylie WR Fresno St- Good Ball Skills... fast in and out of breaks and is a threat to bust big plays from anywhere on the field. Perfect for the slot.

4c) Omar Bolden CB ASU- Top 40 player in this draft if healthy... two severe knee injuries knock him down in the draft but the team has showed faith in the trainers before to rehabilitate players back to their original promise.

5) Jamie Blatnick OLB OSU- Essentially played a 3-4 OLB in college... solid passrusher who can add depth behind Spencer.

6) George Bryan TE NC STATE- Developmental blocking tight end... wont provide much downfield but can catch the short and intermediate balls when not inline blocking.

7) Aston Whiteside ILB Abilene Christian- Small school run stuffer... could make an impact on special teams
Now that's a draft. A+.

I forgot to mention how Poe would also make life so much easier for our ILB's. Lee, Carter, and Connor are all average size at best and more athletic types, someone to eat blockers would be huge.

Zeitler is great for upgrading interior OL talent, and Judie and Bolden are great additions to secondary depth. Love Wylie's speed and quickness as well.

Well done.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:02 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think I'm warming more to the idea of Poe, but still not super excited about him. Did we bring him in for a visit?

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:54 AM    (permalink
primetime217
Rookie

primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.

1. Coples/Poe- I would be fine with either of these, but I would prefer Coples over Poe. Coples could come in and instantly improve our DL pass rush. On Nickel and Dime situations, we could use Coples similar to how the Giants use Tuck. He could line up inside or outside. The benefit with Poe is you're getting a 2-for-1.

2. Ronnell Lewis- Very strong and athletic OLB. Played DE in a 4 man front at Oklahoma, but I think he would be the perfect fit at OLB in a 3-4. Also, he has the versatility to also line up at ILB on some packages. Rob Ryan likes to get creative so he would love the versitility. He can get after the passer as well as set the edge. Also, he absolutely destroys on kickoff coverage. He could really make our special teams better, especially the first year with Spencer still on the team.

3. Brandon Brooks- HUGE guard who shows athleticism for his size. Really carries his weight well. This move would work out real well if Bernadeau could play Center. There were some reports that he has in the past, but don't hear much about it.

4. Markelle Martin- Natural free safety that could step in and help. Has good speed and can cover quite a bit of ground. Can really lay the lumber when he wants to.

4c. Joe Adams/Ryan Broyles- I've been all over these two for our 3rd receiver. I would prefer Adams, because of his speed and value in the return game, but broyles would be a good consolation. I see both accelling in the slot in the NFL.

5. Shaun Prater- I realize I may have waited to long for a CB, but I feel like the prospects above are just as important to our team. Prater could step in and be the 4th corner while also pushing scandrick. If we can't sign Jenkins, we can look at corner early in the 2013 draft.

6. James Hanna- Athletic TE we could use. Coming into the draft I believe we either need to hit on a 3rd WR or a second TE. This is insurance just in case Adams/Broyles don't pan out early. Hanna would be a added weapon in our offense and could be used in sub packages. Had a great combine, but his production didn't match his potential at Oklahoma.

7. Omar Bolden- I think this guy falls because of his knee injury. If he's there in the 7th, i think he would fit well for us. He ran his forty a little slow, (4.6), but he's still working his way back from the knee injury so he's still building back his speed. Was the strongest at the combine with 25 reps, leading me to believe he would work well jamming receivers.

Here's my second crack at a mock. I've changed it up a little, mainly because of what you guys have been saying on the threads. Let me know what you guys think.

Another guy I wouldn't mind taking a chance on late is Vontaze. I would consider him in the 6th, and definitely take him in the 7th. He could be a situational player for us (e.g. goaline/short yardage) to help clog running lanes. But with selecting him you also have to bring on his personality, but I think we got enough veterans in the locker room to keep him in line.

Last edited by primetime217 : 04-11-2012 at 12:47 PM.
primetime217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:26 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime217 View Post
1. Coples/Poe- I would be fine with either of these, but I would prefer Coples over Poe. Coples could come in and instantly improve our DL pass rush. On Nickel and Dime situations, we could use Coples similar to how the Giants use Tuck. He could line up inside or outside. The benefit with Poe is you're getting a 2-for-1.

2. Ronnell Lewis- Very strong and athletic OLB. Played DE in a 4 man front at Oklahoma, but I think he would be the perfect fit at OLB in a 3-4. Also, he has the versatility to also line up at ILB on some packages. Rob Ryan likes to get creative so he would love the versitility. He can get after the passer as well as set the edge. Also, he absolutely destroys on kickoff coverage. He could really make our special teams better, especially the first year with Spencer still on the team.

3. Brandon Brooks- HUGE guard who shows athleticism for his size. Really carries his weight well. This move would work out real well if Bernadeau could play Center. There were some reports that he has in the past, but don't hear much about it.

4. Markelle Martin- Natural free safety that could step in and help. Has good speed and can cover quite a bit of ground. Can really lay the lumber when he wants to.

4c. Joe Adams/Ryan Broyles- I've been all over these two for our 3rd receiver. I would prefer Adams, because of his speed and value in the return game, but broyles would be a good consolation. I see both accelling in the slot in the NFL.

5. Shaun Prater- I realize I may have waited to long for a CB, but I feel like the prospects above are just as important to our team. Prater could step in and be the 4th corner while also pushing scandrick. If we can't sign Jenkins, we can look at corner early in the 2013 draft.

6. James Hanna- Athletic TE we could use. Coming into the draft I believe we either need to hit on a 3rd WR or a second TE. This is insurance just in case Adams/Broyles don't pan out early. Hanna would be a added weapon in our offense and could be used in sub packages. Had a great combine, but his production didn't match his potential at Oklahoma.

7. Omar Bolden- I think this guy falls because of his knee injury. If he's there in the 7th, i think he would fit well for us. He ran his forty a little slow, (4.6), but he's still working his way back from the knee injury so he's still building back his speed. Was the strongest at the combine with 25 reps, leading me to believe he would work well jamming receivers.

Here's my second crack at a mock. I've changed it up a little, mainly because of what you guys have been saying on the threads. Let me know what you guys think.
Not a bad mock although...

* Coples/Poe would both be excellent picks.

* Ronnell Lewis struggles to flatten out and bend around the outside. That's a primary pass-rush move for a 3-4 OLB. He also gets MANHANDLED on tape against larger OTs (which he'll face on every down in the NFL). Drawing from said point above he also struggles when anchoring the edge. He'll need to get stronger, build on his pass rush moves (he has no concernable bull-rush), and develop a counter to his speed rush move.

Don't like him at all. He's more of an athlete at this stage and has a lot of technique work to put in.

* Don't think Brooks will last this long but if he's there I 100% agree he could be special.

* Don't think Martin will last this long as he's the top FS in this class. If he's here excellent value pickup.

* Love both as slot guys and the value is spot on.

* Prater seems to be a better fit on a team running more zone but we're talking 5th rounder corners xD

* Love Hanna. There are quite a few TE projects and I hope we get our hands on one of them. Having another dynamic receiver threat at the TE/H-back position would help future-proof our offense.

* Personally I like Bolden A LOT more than Prater whom you took in the 5th. He can play inside and outside and has some wiggle in the return game.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:02 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Just participated in our forum's 5 rounds in 5 days LIVE mock draft. Each team had 5 min otc and we did a live draft on blogtalk radio/chat.

So here's how it unfolded...

Round 1
1 1 1 Indianapolis - Andrew Luck QB Stanford
1 2 2 Washington from St. Louis - Robert Griffin III QB Baylor
1 3 3 Arizona f/ Minni - Matt Kalil OT USC
1 4 4 Buffalo f/ Cle - Morris Claiborn CB LSU
1 5 5 Chicago f/ Tampa Bay - Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State
1 6 6 St. Louis from Washington - Trent Richardson RB Alabama
1 7 7 Seattle f/ Jacksonville - Quinton Coples DE UNC
1 8 8 Miami - Melvin Ingram DE/OLB DE SC
1 9 9 Carolina - Fletcher Cox DT Miss St.
1 10 10 Cle - David DeCastro OG Stanford
1 11 11 Kansas City - Dontari Poe NT Memphas
1 12 12 Jacsonville - Andre Branch DE Clemson
1 13 13 Minni - Riely Reiff OT Iowa

When I was on the clock, I had the option to trade down to pick 20 with the Tennessee Titans (although the Titans GM was UTPATS, so I'm not sure if he was trying to help a fellow Cowboys fan out). If I traded down to 20, I would've been able to move up from Round 3 to Round 2.

Although I liked the value of the move up, I wasn't too thrilled about being in Round 3 with no picks... But the real kicker was not loving my options at pick 20. The 2 players that I would've taken at 20 were Janoris Jenkins or Peter Konz. But with Brockers staring at me in in the face, I decided not to trade down and roll with the big fellah.

1 14 14 Dallas - Michael Brockers DT LSU

It's no secret that I have a huge admiration for Brockers, so I couldn't pass him up. In the chat room, the Philly GM was pissed that I took him right before him, btw. His combination of size, skill, play, potential and versatility to play anywhere on the DL in the 3-4 or the middle of our DL in our nickel packages has me valuing him higher than any other DT in this year's draft. I feel that with him up front, that our DL finally has that guy who will command a double team and open things up for the rest of our defense. Not to mention cause disruption on his own merit as he is a bear to handle. No fear of having teams run down our throats late in games and seeing Ratliff get bowled on his ass. If we're in need of finding out whether Anthony Spencer is going to reach his full potential, then upgrading our secondary with a guy like Carr, and beefing up the DL with a guy like Brockers... surely will give us all we need to know about whether Spencer belongs in our long term plans or not. IF not, then OLB becomes a top priority next offseason. But I have a feeling, we'd see a damn good Anthony Spencer with this addition of Brockers.

Here's how the rest of Round 1 went:

1 15 15 Philadelphia - Luke Kuechly LB Boston
1 16 16 New York Jets - Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame
1 17 17 Cincinnati from Oakland - Mark Barron S Alabama
1 18 18 San Diego - Cordy Glenn OG Georgia
1 19 19 Cinci f. Tampa f. Chicago - Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabma
1 20 20 Vikings f Tennessee - Stephon Gilmore CB SC
1 21 21 Tampa f. Cincinnati - Donta Hightower ILB Alabama
1 22 22 Titans f. Cleveland from Atlanta - Jonathan Martin OT Stanford
1 23 23 Detroit - Janoris Jenkins CB Northern Alabama
1 24 24 Pittsburgh -Mike Adams OT Ohio State
1 25 25 Denver - Jerel Worthy DT Michigan St.
1 26 26 Houston - Kendall Wright WR Baylor
1 27 27 New England from New Orleans - Courtney Upshaw OLB Alabama
1 28 28 Green Bay - Nick Perry DE USC
1 29 29 Baltimore - Peter Konz C Wisconsin
1 30 30 San Francisco - Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin
1 31 31 New England - Harrison Smith S Notre Dame
1 32 32 New York Giants - Zach Brown OLB UNC

In the end, I had no regrets in not trading down to pick 20. Janoris Jenkins and Peter Konz were there, but no other DTs can help me the way Brockers can.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:51 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

In Round 2, I was wondering what options I would have. It unfolded like this...

2 1 33 St. Louis - Devon Still DT Penn State
2 2 34 Indianapolis - Coby Fleener TE Stanford
2 3 35 Cleveland f. Titans f. Minnesota - Lavonte David OLB Nebraska
2 4 36 Tampa Bay - Bobby Massie OT Ole Miss
2 5 37 Cleveland - Mitchell Schwartz OT California
2 6 38 Jacksonville - Alshon Jeffery WR SC
2 7 39 St. Louis from Washington - Stephen Hill WR Ga Tech
2 8 40 Carolina - Whitney Mercilus DE Illinois
2 9 41 Buffalo - Ryan Tannehill QB Texas A&M
2 10 42 Miami - Rueben Randle WR LSU
2 11 43 Seattle - A.J. Jenkins WR Illinois
2 12 44 Kansas City - Amini Silatolu OG Midwestern state

At this point, the only 2 players that gave me that "aw shucks" feeling was when Mercilus (who fell quite far for my expectations) and Silatolu (who I like a lot) got selected. But overall, there were quite a few players left who I thought I could take.

This time however, I had been offered a trade package that intrigued me. Cleveland offered me their 3rd and 4th rounders for my 2nd. I really had to make an on the spot decision, and ultimately I pulled the trigger for more picks.

Kind of questioned myself later on the move. cmd34 was in the chatroom going bonkers that I made a mistake. Reminding him of the 2009 draft! Oh my! I knew it would be painful to watch Round 2 unfold without having a pick, but was hoping my patience would pay off in Rounds 3 and 4 with 5 picks in those 2 rounds.

Cleveland ended up taking Jamell Flemming and the rest of Round 2 went like this:

2 13 45 Cle f. Dallas - Jamell Fleming CB Oklahoma
2 14 46 Philadelphia - Kendall Reyes DT UCONN
2 15 47 New York Jets - Shea McClellin OLB Boise
2 16 48 New England from Oakland Alameda Ta’amu NT Washington
2 17 49 San Diego - Brian Quick WR App State
2 18 50 Chicago - Chandler Jones DE Syracuse
2 19 51 Philadelphia from Arizona - Kirk Cousins QB Michigan State
2 20 52 Tennessee - Brandon Thompson DT Clemson
2 21 53 Cincinnati - Doug Martin RB Boise State
2 22 54 Detroit - Kelechi Osemele Iowa St
2 23 55 Atlanta - Vinny Curry DE Marshall
2 24 56 Pittsburgh - Bobby Wagner LB Utah State
2 25 57 Denver - Lamar Miller RB Miami
2 26 58 Houston - Jeff Allen OT Illinois
2 27 New Orleans Forfeited
2 28 59 Green Bay - DT Mike Martin Michigan
2 29 60 Baltimore - Markelle Martin, S OK State
2 30 61 San Francisco Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers
2 31 62 New England -Josh Robinson CB UCF
2 32 63 New York Giants - Ben Jones C Georgia

Admittingly, it was tough seeing Chandler Jones get taken in that round when I had the chance to take him. But I had the train of thought that I just took Brockers who would finally tell us what we needed to find out about our OLB position opposite of Ware. Bruce Irvin was also on my mind. But yeah... I wasn't going OLB there. I knew Doug Martin would go, and he's a fav, so mini-bummer there. But really, the guy that I would've drafted at 45 was Brandon Boykin and I was biting nails with each pick that passed hoping he wouldn't be taken. To my nice surprise Round 2 came and went and Boykins was still available!

Last edited by D-Unit : 04-15-2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:15 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

So Round 3 was here and I had the 4th overall pick from Cleveland first up to bat. I did some homework the night before to see what my chances were to land Boykin.

- Indy: They drafted Luck and Fleener and I thought they might take a CB.
- St. Louis: They drafted Richardson and Still, but I thought they would go OL next.
- Minny: They drafted Gilmore earlier, so I thought they wouldn't be taking Boykin.

So I was really trying to find out what Indy was going to do. Decided to send the Indy GM a PM asking if they knew what they were going to do. Simple enough. He replied saying they were indeed looking at CB. GAH. IMO, I thought they would go for more of an outside CB than a slot like Boykin, so I asked if they were thinking of taking Dennard. He replied saying he was undecided but had named Boykin and his reasoning was that he was the highest rated CB. DOUBLE GAH!

Right then I knew that if I wanted Boykin that I would have to trade up from 67 to 64. So we started talking trade and I offered to give up pick 152 for 170 which moved him up 18 spots in the 5th in order for me to move up 3 spots in the 3rd.

He countered and said he'd move down if I gave up 118 for his 136. That's my 4th for his 5th (1st pick in the 5th), but I was like damn, that's too much. So I started to concede that maybe I wouldn't be able to get Boykin and looked at my other options.

At first I thought, maybe I'd go with Dennard myself. He got torched at the Senior Bowl cause they were asking corners to play off their man at the LOS. But his strength is playing physical at the LOS and bumping guys off their routes and disrupting their timing. A few scouting reports suggested that his deep speed was questionable and that he may be a better slot than outside CB. So I was starting to warm up to Dennard myself. While researching I also read that some teams were looking at him as a S in the NFL. Even more, I thought ok... Dallas has needs at CB and FS. I'll just go with Dennard if Indy takes Boykin. Sounded like a plan.

While guessing who Minny would take, I thought there was a chance they would go with Brandon Brooks. So I started thinking about him. I know the Cowboys like BIG OL and Brooks put on a show at his pro day. But some scouting reports said that he doesn't pull well and struggles with blocking on the second level. So that disuaded me.

As the draft neared, I still had thoughts of Boykin vs Dennard going on in my head. Started reading some reports on Boykin and came across this one from nepatriotsdraft.com.

"Explosive athletic player who has returned kicks, carried and caught the ball during his time at Georgia Could be a plus return specialist, finds holes in return coverage and weaves through them seamlessly Extremely physical player down at the Senior Bowl who showed he can play press coverage as well as anyone in this draft class Plays well in zone coverage as well reading the quarterback and reacting quickly with agility and athleticism Played out of the slot a lot and rarely thrown on Has legit 4.4 speed Can turn and run smoothly and has second gear against faster WRs Showed some ability blitzing out of the slot, gets off the line quickly and generates nice pressure."

After that... I just had to have Boykin. When the draft started, I immediately contacted the Indy GM in the chatroom when he was otc. I told him that I would indeed give up the Cowboys 4th rounder for Indy's 5th rounder (1st of that round) in order to move up. I felt ok about it because I had acquired Cleveland's 4th rounder earlier and I wouldn't have to drastically alter my draft plans for where I was going to use my mid 4th rounder.

A sense of relief came to me as I was able to make the selection of Brandon Boykin to the Cowboys. A guy that I was disappointed in passing up by trading down in the 2nd round, actually feel in the draft and I was able to scoop him up afterall. This gave me a natural high. :)

3 1 64 Dallas f. Indianapolis - Brandon Boykins CB Georgia

Thrilled to have another pick this round, the work didn't stop for me yet. But here is how the rest of the round went up to my next pick:

3 2 65 St. Louis - Zebrie Sanders OT Florida State
3 3 66 Minnesota - Mychal Kendricks ILB Cal
3 4 67 Indy f. Dallas from Cleveland - Alfonzo Dennard CB Nebraska
3 5 68 Tampa Bay - Jayron Hosley CB Va Tech
3 6 69 Washington - James Brown OT Troy
3 7 70 Jacksonville - Brandon Brooks OG Miami (Ohio)
3 8 71 Cle f. Buffalo - Chris Polk RB Washington
3 9 72 Miami - Brock Osweiler QB Az State
3 10 73 Miami from Carolina through Chicago - Tommy Streeter WR Miami
3 11 74 Kansas City - Ronell Lewis Oklahoma
3 12 75 Pittsburgh f. Green Bay f. Jacksonville via Seattle - David Wilson RB Va Tech
3 13 76 Houston from Philadelphia -Trumaine Johnson CB Montana
3 14 77 New York Jets - Tank Carder ILB TCU
3 15 Oakland Exercised in Supplemental Draft
3 16 78 San Diego - Orson Charles TE Georgia
3 17 79 Chicago - Bruce Irvin OLB West Virginia
3 18 80 Titans f. Min. f. arizona - Dwight Bentley CB Louisianna Lafiette

Couple of names came off the board that I was interested in. Dennard, Brooks, Lewis, Irvin...

But I knew who I wanted and his name didn't get taken. After going defense with my first 2 picks, I wanted to go offense. Specifically offensive line. As I said earlier Brandon Brooks was on my radar. Knowing that this draft was deep at OG allowed me to go for other positions in the earlier rounds first. However, I knew I couldn't put it off too much longer otherwise the well would be left dry. One name kept sliding... and I kept smiling.

3 19 81 Dallas - Brandon Washington OG DA U

When I made this pick, I was a happy man. First off, I love Miami players. They often tend to play better in the NFL than in college..and I especially love the ones Dallas had in the 90's. Michael Irvin and Russell Maryland. This pick reminded me that Dallas was heading back in that direction.

But the real reason I was so happy to get him is because Brandon Washington not only fits the profile of a Dallas Cowboys OL, but he is athletic, good on his feet, and most of all... VERSATILE. Yes, he is commonly projected to play Guard in the NFL, and I think he would provide nice competition for one of those spots if that's what the team decided for him best. But he also provides usefulness at either Tackle spot in any emergency since he has the experience there in college. I hear the concerns that our depth is weak there and Washington improves that while not increasing the count of bodies on the roster.

That said, here's the real kicker. This is the real reason why I wanted to draft him badly. Brandon Washington can also play Center. He played every position on the line at Miami including Center. Miami plays a pro style offense and the transition to NFL Center would not be a difficult one for him. It might take some time, but he could definitely make a career out of it if that's where the Cowboys wanted to do. Worst case scenario, he stays at Guard and hopefully Arkin or Bernadeau would pan out at Center instead. Either way, as far as this draft was concerned, I was not looking to draft another Center later in this draft. I had the chance to take Philip Blake here and was close to doing it, but overall, I felt Washington was offering me more and was a better overall talent.

Here's how the rest of Round 3 went:

3 20 82 Cleveland f. Tennessee -Marvin Jones, WR, Cal-Berkeley
3 21 83 Cincinnati - Dwayne Allen TE Clemson
3 22 84 Atlanta - Atlanta selects Isaiah Pead, RB Cincy
3 23 85 Detroit - George Iloka Boise St.
3 24 86 Green Bay f. Pittsburgh - CB Casey Haywood Vanderbilt
3 25 87 Denver - Josh Norman CB Coastal Carolina
3 26 88 Philadelphia from Houston - Ryan Broyles WR Oklahoma
3 27 89 New Orleans - Keenan Robinson OLB Texas
3 28 90 Jags f. Green Bay - chris givens,wr wake forest
3 29 91 Baltimore - Joe Adams, WR, Arkansas
3 30 92 San Francisco -Jared Crick DE Nebraska
3 31 93 New England - Philip Blake C Baylor
3 32 94 New York Giants - Marvin McNutt WR Iowa
3 33 95 Oakland (Compensatory Selection) -Sean Spence OLB Miami

Biggest bummer was seeing Josh Norman get taken, but I knew he wasn't going to reach me in the middle of Round 4. The rest of those picks didn't bother me one bit.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:15 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Too tired... will post the rest tomorrow.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:11 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Solid picks when you held your draft choice :P

Those are some horrible trades though. You got ripped off on every one lol.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:43 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I would have stayed in round 2 and gone McClellin or Curry. In round 3 you could have still grabbed Hosley. Brockers, Boykins, and Washington is a nice haul, I would like another pressure player. Maybe one is coming?

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:41 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Keep working through different scenarios just so I can select some different prospects.

We hit the clock at 14 and our phone BLOWS up. NE, NYJ, DET, and Pitt all want to trade up.

Clock winding down and the end of days has to be coming (the Patriots just traded up).

Dallas trades the 14th and 113th selections for the 27th and 31st selections in the 2012 NFL draft.

27) Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
31) Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
45) Shea McClellin OLB, Boise State
81) Jared Crick , DT, Nebraska
135) Emmanuel Acho, ILB, Texas
152) Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma
186) George Bryan, TE, North Carolina State
222) G.J. Kinne, QB, Tulsa

Opening Day Projected Lineup:

Offense:

LT: Smith, Parnell (swing tackle)
LG: Livings, Arkin
C: Konz, Killer Kowa
RG: Bernadeau, Nagy
RT: Free, Parnell (swing tackle)

QB: Romo, Orton, Kinne
RB: Murray, Jones, Tanner
FB: Vickers
TE: Witten, Phillips, Bryan
WR: Austin, Bryant, Broyles, Radway, Harris, Holmes

Defense:

RDE: Hatcher, Spears, Gaithers
NT: Ratliff, Brent, Calloway
LDE Lissemore, Crick, Calloway

ROLB: Ware, McClellin, Albright
ILB: Lee, Carter, Connor, Acho
LOLB: Spencer, McClellin, Butler

CB: Carr, Jenkins, Scandrick, J. Jenkins, Butler

FS: Pool, McCray, Taplin-Ross
SS: Sensabaugh, Church

Specialists:

K: Bailey
P: Jones
LS: Ladouceur
Old 04-15-2012, 09:47 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

That's probably one of the best possible scenarios i've seen. My only complaint is that Jared Crick is too much of a JAG/Marcus Spears clone, but at least it's new blood and he brings that country boy lunch pail attitude.

Love everything else. Konz and Jenkins are huge upgrade this season and in the future, McCellin is great, like Acho's athleticism and should be a special teams ace, and Broyles should be a stud slot.

Nice work.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:25 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im hearing McClellin wont get out of the end of the first round. Heard GB loves him too.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:53 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Im hearing McClellin wont get out of the end of the first round. Heard GB loves him too.
Yep. Just picked him as the one that slid. Could easily be Chandler Jones, Nick Perry, Andre Branch, etc.