Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 04-01-2012, 12:23 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Kuechly or Mayo: Who Ya Got?

I've asked this of a few people and no one has really given me a straight answer one way or the other. Who ya got as the better PROSPECT? Try to forget what Mayo has one at the NFL level.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Last edited by vidae : 04-01-2012 at 12:26 PM.
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:27 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I've asked this of a few people and no one has really given me a straight answer one way or the other. Who ya got DC?
Kuechly, I've watched a ton of both of them. Mayo racks up tackles, but he's a guy you hardly notice when watching a game. Kuechly makes a ton of tackles too, but a ton of them are impact plays like chasing down a bubble screen for no gain or stopping a reverse dead in it's tracks. He also has a knack for stuffing RB's in crucial short yardage situations. Kuechly's instincts are 2nd to none.

*edit* I didn't see the prospect part. I think when they were both coming out I expected Mayo to be a better athlete than he has shown, but he's far more instinctive. Still doesn't change my evaluation.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:27 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Luke Kuechly.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:33 PM    (permalink
DeepThreat
Pro Bowler

DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Luke Kuechly.
Unlike someone, I will be honest enough to admit I wasn't too into the draft when Mayo entered.

Based on what I've seen, though, Kuechly is more instinctive and about as athletic, so I'd take him.

Quote:
<@JBond> And Dg, you'd waste it on corndogs
<@JBond> So you get no 5 dollars
<+DG> how is buy one get one free wasting?
Quote:
<+njx9> i'm pretty sure your people still eat boots in north korea, bantx. they don't know what vegetables are.
DeepThreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:35 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepThreat View Post
Unlike someone, I will be honest enough to admit I wasn't too into the draft when Mayo entered.

Based on what I've seen, though, Kuechly is more instinctive and about as athletic, so I'd take him.
Its pretty obvious i wasnt into the draft when Mayo was drafted, when i started following football in 2009... I just really like Kuechly.

RIP themaninblack
Old 04-01-2012, 12:37 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Laurenitis comes to mind when thinking of Luke Keuchly. No one else sees that? Is he really a top 10-12 prospect right now?
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:39 PM    (permalink
DeepThreat
Pro Bowler

DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
Laurenitis comes to mind when thinking of Luke Keuchly. No one else sees that? Is he really a top 10-12 prospect right now?
I don't see that at all. Laurinaitis wasn't nearly as athletic or instinctive. JL was fairly limited in space and relied on his instincts, which weren't as good as Kuechly's. Kuechly is better in pretty much every aspect of the game.

Quote:
Quote:
<+njx9> i'm pretty sure your people still eat boots in north korea, bantx. they don't know what vegetables are.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:40 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No, I don't see Laurinitis at all. He was a pile jumper. Kuechly seems a lot more instinctive and athletic.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:40 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I think so. Disregarding his position i think he's one of the best players in this draft. His problem was meant to be his speed but i think he proved the doubters wrong at the combine.

He's not Ray Lewis, because he's not that aggressive, but he knows how to play football and he has the production to match.

RIP themaninblack
Old 04-01-2012, 12:44 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No, I don't see Laurinitis at all. He was a pile jumper. Kuechly seems a lot more instinctive and athletic.
Yeah he's better than Laurinitis in just apart every department. Hell, I like him more than I liked AJ Hawk way back in 2006, who I thought would dominate the NFL.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:50 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kuechly is often the first the defender to hit the ballcarrier, Laurinaitis wasn't.

Athletically they're similar, diagnostically/instinctively they aren't.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:57 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Luke Kuechly and it isn't even close...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:00 PM    (permalink
DeepThreat
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Kuechly is often the first the defender to hit the ballcarrier, Laurinaitis wasn't.

Athletically they're similar, diagnostically/instinctively they aren't.
Kuechly is a much better athlete than Laurinaitis. Kuechly ran a 4.58 while Laurinaitis ran a 4.74.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-01-2012, 01:01 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
I think so. Disregarding his position i think he's one of the best players in this draft. His problem was meant to be his speed but i think he proved the doubters wrong at the combine.

He's not Ray Lewis, because he's not that aggressive, but he knows how to play football and he has the production to match.
Urlacher a better comparison? I watched his film and I have mixed reviews. He misses tackles the way Barrett Ruud did in Tampa, which scares me a bit
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:04 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Very similar as prospects coming out. I've been a tad dissapointed in Mayo at times defending the pass but i think this is a good comparison. Mayo went 10th i believe and wouldnt be surprised to see Kuechly go 12th to Seattle.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kuechly was considered a first round talent even before pro scouts saw him display his athleticism at the Combine. He is extremely productive and his instincts, awareness and anticipation are off the charts.
His impressive tackling production is the result of superb play diagnosis.
Can he drop into coverage, well he wasn't asked to do a lot of it in college but he has shown he has the athleticism to perhaps excel in it but we won't know for sure till he gets to play in the NFL.
I think him and Mayo are pretty comparable but the way the NFL has turned to the pass will likely drop Kuechly a bit.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:16 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Where is the poll at?

Pretty easy for my to pick Kuechly here, he's my 2nd rated defensive player behind Claiborne this year and looks to be a tackling machine once he hits the field.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:27 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I said this in the Free Agency thread, but Kuechly is much more Jon Beason then James Laurenitis for me.

As for the question at hand, I'll take Kuechly every time. I wasn't a huge Mayo fan, and I actually thought he was really overdrafted when the Pats took him that early. Also didn't love the fit in a 3-4, but I guess I've been proven wrong on that one since. I had Mayo as more of a 20-32 type of guy, whereas I don't think I'd have a problem seeing Kuechly in the Top 15. Mayo graded out very well athletically, but he always left a little to be desired in college, especially when looking at his instincts and angles of approach to the ballcarrier. Kuechly is about as solid as they come from an intangibles standpoint, and he tested out much stronger athletically then many (myself included) ever expected. If you can justify the position value, I don't really see a reason NOT to take Kuechly in the Top 15...I couldn't say the same thing about Mayo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:33 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
Where is the poll at?

Pretty easy for my to pick Kuechly here, he's my 2nd rated defensive player behind Claiborne this year and looks to be a tackling machine once he hits the field.
I didn't care much about poll numbers with this, I just wanted a discussion. I was told that Mayo was hands down the better prospect and I disagreed with it, but I don't really REMEMBER Mayo coming out as a hands down top half of round 1 prospect, so I thought I'd get some answers from you fine folks.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought Mayo was an early 2nd round prospect, while Kuechly is a legit mid-1st round prospect to me. Still hoping he goes 15 to the eagles, but highly doubt he lasts.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd definitely choose Kuechly over Mayo as a prospect although it's tough to predict who will have the better NFL career.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:15 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't forget Mayo was a late riser in the draft process. He was thought of as more of a 2nd rounder up until about April. Then he was continually mocked in the low 20s (usually to Detroit). Then like a week before the draft there was talk that he could sneak into the top half of round 1.

But Mayo also played inside and out and college, so he has versatility going for him. He was never much of a pass defender.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:23 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jerod Mayo really never impressed me in college the way Luke Kuechly has. That said, I did question his athleticism until the Combine.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:25 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I didn't care much about poll numbers with this, I just wanted a discussion.
It's not always about what you want vidae.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:30 AM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jarod Mayo was about a 1/2 a round higher IMO. The key is versatility. In addition to the greater range, Mayo could play any of the 4 LB well. Kuechly may be the superior player for diagnostics, but he is limited to WILB in a 3-4 or Mike in 4-3.

J
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote