Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:35 PM    (permalink
RaidersFan1995
Rookie

RaidersFan1995 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Thoughts on Philip Wheeler

Hi I'm new and I don't know if this is the right section to post this, but I was wondering what the consensus on OLB Philip Wheeler is. I'm not a scout so im not really sure how to grade him based on some vids I found on him. Profootballfocus has him rated as a good run stopper and decent pass defender. From these videos, what makes him a good run stopper?

http://www.raiders.ninjagoro.com/
RaidersFan1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:21 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidersFan1995 View Post
Hi I'm new and I don't know if this is the right section to post this, but I was wondering what the consensus on OLB Philip Wheeler is. I'm not a scout so im not really sure how to grade him based on some vids I found on him. Profootballfocus has him rated as a good run stopper and decent pass defender. From these videos, what makes him a good run stopper?

http://www.raiders.ninjagoro.com/
I don't really know much about Phillip Wheeler so I can only comment on what I see in those videos, and I only watched the top videos against Cleveland. I think he has pretty good recognition skills and for the most part understands where his run fits are on most plays. So he knows what he's doing and does a good job of getting to his fit, and on inside runs keeping outside leverage and funneling the ball back to his Mike.

However, I'm not particularly impressed with his tackling in this video and would have graded that out as poor. I would like to see him bring a little more with him on his strikes so the ballcarrier isn't dragging him for extra yardage, but in his defense Peyton Hillis is a load and has done that to a lot of defenders. I also would like to see him be a little more aggressive on plays where he has an opportunity for the TFL, he looks to second guess himself on more than one occasion when he should have taken the run through.

I also don't agree with the author of the article that he looks lost in the passing game. I thought he was very consistent in his dropback depth and displayed a nice feel for receivers that were coming into his zone. Cleveland was running a ton of play action and Wheeler was doing a nice job of not biting. There weren't a ton of flashy bat downs or anything like that, but such is life as a Sam in the Cover 2. Most of the INTs that are thrown to Sams and Wills in that D are passes that should have never been thrown by the QB.

I'd say he was all around very solid that game and didn't have many MAs, which as a coach is what you want. If he can learn to trust his ability a little more I think he can take that next step as a playmaker for his defense. Right now he's just nothing more than solid, reliable.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 04-01-2012 at 06:26 PM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:21 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's a tentative pilejumper. He did improve some last year but I think he'd be better off as a rush OLB. Not really starting material either.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:21 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My advice: don't use pro football focus.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:32 PM    (permalink
RaidersFan1995
Rookie

Is pro football focus not a reliable site?
Old 04-01-2012, 07:38 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Is pro football focus not a reliable site?
If you're looking for a site that offers horrific player evaluations, then it's extremely reliable.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:44 PM    (permalink
RaidersFan1995
Rookie

Can you recommend a site with good evaluations?
Old 04-01-2012, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Can you recommend a site with good evaluations?
You got me there. I don't trust anyone else's opinion, so I just go off my own observations and research.

As for PFF, I stopped looking at their site when they graded out Vernon Davis as the 77th-ranked tight end when he had that monster season a couple of years ago, tying the TE TD-record. That told me all I needed to know about that site.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:21 AM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

PFF isn't bad as long as you're not an idiot and take everything with a grain of salt. I think they grade each player on a play by play basis and rate players based on their per play average (or something like that). Obviously something subjective like that is going to have its faults, but there's also been times that they've been totally right about players that nobody else was really noticing.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:21 AM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

.................................................. .................

Last edited by ChiFan24 : 04-02-2012 at 02:24 AM.
ChiFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:03 AM    (permalink
GaMeTiMe
Veteran

GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well that makes one of us, right everybody??!!
GaMeTiMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:14 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wheeler is a good player against the run but he has largely speaking been more of a 2-Down Linebacker so far in his career as he struggles against the pass. He’s a good read and react type guy, locates the ball quickly and takes good angles and he doesn’t miss too many tackles. But he struggles in zone coverage and is a complete liability in man coverage. The only way he’d succeed as a 3-Down Linebacker is if he plays as a Rush Linebacker in the 3-4, something he excelled at in college but was rarely asked to do for the Colts.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.
Seamus2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:20 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wheeler should be a great fit in Oakland's defense as an effective blitzer from the outside linebacker position.