Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Cosell (Floyd>Blackmon)?
Yes 42 49.41%
No 35 41.18%
Unsure 8 9.41%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2012, 04:03 PM    (permalink
akvikefan89
Veteran

akvikefan89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.akvikefan89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.akvikefan89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.akvikefan89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.akvikefan89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.akvikefan89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.akvikefan89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.akvikefan89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.akvikefan89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.akvikefan89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.akvikefan89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is very interesting. Some good points being brought up in discussion and the poll is split 50/50 with 23 votes for Floyd and 23 for Blackmon. I wasn't aware that so many draftniks preferred Floyd over Blackmon until now...

www.minnesotavikingsnation.com
akvikefan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:24 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was one of the unsures. Basically, I look at it like this: FLoyd is the superior physical talent, but Blackmon is a surer thing. Classic upside vs. floor.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:52 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
Are you certain that's accurate?

Now, your height can change due to sleeping. In the morning, you're the tallest you'll be during that day. As the day goes on, the pressure from the weight of your head, upper body, and gravity weigh down and compress your spine, which causes you to lose height. Then as you sleep, your spine decompresses and you gain that length back.

But you're looking at a centimeter of difference in height - maybe - and you probably won't even notice it.

An inch is a significant change, and with how shallow our society is, you'd have to think every guy would be sleeping a certain way every night so they'd be just a little bit taller. Even if you slept upside down.
Well I am done growing and when I go to the doctor for either check ups or being sick I vary from 5'11'' to 6' 1/4'' so who knows. Either way it isn't that big of a deal. It can also depend on your back, if you have lower back tightness it may decrease your height by as much as half an inch. Who knows what is scientific fact and what isn't. This really is a stupid discussion lol.

To FUNBUNCHER, I know wikipedia isn't a reliable source but it says he was 6'2 7/8'' and his OSU pro day, and I remember reading from the official NFL.com report that he measured in a shade under 6'3''. Try and google it, I don't know what else to tell you.

Either way we are really splitting hairs now. I have nothing against Blackmon, but Dez is a class above Blackmon as both a prospect and player. Dez seriously should have gone in the top 5 if he didn't get suspended. Blackmon belongs in the high teens to the low 20's.

Last edited by CDCB14 : 04-08-2012 at 07:54 PM.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:19 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
If i had to compare Blackmon to anyone it would be Greg Jennings. Now Jennings is a damn good WR however he isn't a guy who can dominate in any system.
From what I've seen of him, he doesn't have Jennings route running ability (which was absolutely superb even as a rookie). He also doesn't have the same type of athletic ability (at the combine, Jennings posted a 6.69 3-cone, 11.15 long-shuttle, 4.18 short-shuttle).

I haven't seen enough of Blackmon to have an honest opinion of him, but "Greg Jennings without elite C.O.D. and route running ability" isn't very inspiring.

Last edited by WCH : 04-08-2012 at 08:21 PM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:25 PM    (permalink
PossumBoy9
Rookie

PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
However, the speed comparison isn't really a great one because Boldin was a 4.71 guy and Blackmon is a 4.46 guy.
....at a Pro Day in Stillwater.
PossumBoy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:43 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
An inch is a significant change
That's what she said. . .
Old 04-08-2012, 10:54 PM    (permalink
armageddon
Veteran

armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Blackmon = Boldin
Floyd = Fitzgerald

Give me Floyd all day long
armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:07 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really hate to be a downer, but Floyd absolutely does not equal Fitzgerald.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:26 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armageddon View Post
Blackmon = Boldin
Floyd = Fitzgerald

Give me Floyd all day long
I don't really agree, more like....

Justin Blackmon = Michael Crabtree
Michael Floyd = Jordy Nelson

If your comparing any Receiver to Larry Fitzgerald in this draft it probably should be Alshon Jeffery.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:30 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

for some reason when i see justin blackmon running, i see victor cruz. probably not as fast as cruz but the run similarly

Last edited by YAYareaRB : 04-08-2012 at 11:32 PM.
YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:43 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
I don't really agree, more like....

Justin Blackmon = Michael Crabtree
Michael Floyd = Jordy Nelson

If your comparing any Receiver to Larry Fitzgerald in this draft it probably should be Alshon Jeffery.
Agreed with the bold. He's the most talented WR in the draft.

Crabtree is the closest physical comparison to Blackmon amongst the recent top 10 WR picks, but I do think Blackmon will be more productive or just a better player.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:45 PM    (permalink
Wrathman
Rookie

Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Step away from the Larry Fitzgerald comparisons in this draft. :-)
Wrathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:04 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathman View Post
Also agreed with this...I think the point was more that Jeffery is the best combo of talent, dominance, and health (the non-fat version obviously, depends on your opinion there) amongst the three.

Say Jeffery goes in the right direction in his draft year rather than the get fat and work it off as the draft approaches plan then he'd be the no doubt top WR. Unfortunately for him he's in his current situation.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:18 AM    (permalink
BuffaloBillsFan
Rookie

BuffaloBillsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Blackmon isn't as good at working the outside as TO was, but he is way better at going over the middle than TO with less drops.
BuffaloBillsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:19 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Why? coming out him and Jeffery were very similiar.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:52 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol no god no

Fitz was worlds ahead of anyone in this draft as a WR at Pitt
Old 04-09-2012, 12:57 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
lol no god no

Fitz was worlds ahead of anyone in this draft as a WR at Pitt
No not really.

Now, sure no Receiver compares to Fitz that's coming out, but coming out of Pitt, Alshon is very similiar. Just Fitz had less red flags.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:11 AM    (permalink
Wrathman
Rookie

Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Why? coming out him and Jeffery were very similiar.
How so? Very few draft folks didn't acknowledge Fitzgerald as a very special player who deserved to be drafted as a clear, elite talent while Jeffery may or may not even go in the first round in a receiver class that, in my opinion, does not have an elite prospect in it. I'd say that's a huge difference in talent level.

There are some similarities in their game, but Jeffery can't separate or run like Fitzgerald could, nor is he as developed as a route runner. So again, that's a huge difference to me.

And as you pointed out, Jeffery carries red flags that Fitz never had. The difference is immense.
Wrathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:15 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

When coming out, there were concerns about Fitzgerald being able to seperate in the NFL.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:41 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Alshon Jeffery - 6'3 213, 4.51 forty, 6.78 3-cone, 10'2 broad, 36.5 vert. and 4.09 short shuttle

Larry Fitzgerald - 6'3 225 (plays at 215 now) 4.53 forty, 6.94 3-cone, 10'1 broad, 35 vert. and 4.28 short shuttle

Both have questionable seperation skills, great body control, elite hands, elite at high pointing the ball, both know how to use their body to block out defenders, both had questionable work ethic coming out, didn't Larry play around 230? Both are pretty fluid for being bigger receivers, and both have Deceptive speed.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:57 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

Quote:
How so? Very few draft folks didn't acknowledge Fitzgerald as a very special player who deserved to be drafted as a clear, elite talent while Jeffery may or may not even go in the first round in a receiver class that, in my opinion, does not have an elite prospect in it. I'd say that's a huge difference in talent level.

There are some similarities in their game, but Jeffery can't separate or run like Fitzgerald could, nor is he as developed as a route runner. So again, that's a huge difference to me.

And as you pointed out, Jeffery carries red flags that Fitz never had. The difference is immense.
Prospect Fitzgerald wasn't known for his speed or ability to separate...He could just outmuscle and outleap any CB he faced and did it all without causing any off field trouble or worries.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:03 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
Prospect Fitzgerald wasn't known for his speed or ability to separate...He could just outmuscle and outleap any CB he faced and did it all without causing any off field trouble or worries.
Exactly, he played in college like a power foward. Same thing Alshon does.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:52 AM    (permalink
wadsworth
Rookie

wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In just two seasons at Pitt, Larry Fitz produced 161 catches for 2677 yards and 34 TDs . Fitzgerald had 22 TDs his sophmore seasons alone and Jeffery has 23 for his three years combined.

I get that they both have very sticky hands, but there is a huge gap between Fitz and Alshon as prospects.
wadsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:34 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

People severely downplay the production Boldin has put out in his career. Through his first six seasons he put up in excess of 500 receptions and 6,500 yards; he missed 16 games over that span, meaning he did it in five seasons of complete work. That's 100 receptions and 1,300 yards per complete season, insane production. And before people make noise about Fitzgerald drawing coverage, Boldin had 101/1,377/8 as a rookie, quite sure the receptions/yardage are NFL rookie records.

Roddy White is another receiver with good, not great, HWS numbers, although when he was younger he had explosiveness that Blackmond has never had. Roddy also has inconsistent hands and yet has put up 471 receptions, 6,422 yards, and 42 touchdowns over the past five seasons.

I'm not saying that Blackmon will end up like either of these guys, but players don't need to be athletic freaks to be top NFL receivers. Physicality and consistency will go a long way.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:57 AM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron292120 View Post
I like Michael Floyd, but all I know is this. In the biggest game of the year, he was standing on the sidelines while hurt as his team was trying to come back. Conversely, Blackmon--who we were told had a pretty troublesome leg before the bowl game--went out and played. Not only did he play--and not only did he put up huge numbers in the game and was probably the MVP of the game--but when his team got down early, he was over on the sidelines getting on his team and waking them up. And then he did what a leader does after chewing his team out-- he lead by example and made the play that turned the momentum. Meanwhile, Floyd was standing on the sidelines in a parka. That may be harsh, and it may be even unfair to some extent--but its reality in the NFL.

+1 floyd isn't tough and he isn't reliable. sure he's a great workout subject in shorts. but the game isn't played in shorts. Also fwiw what was the last Notre Dame WR to live up to hype? And im not talking about jeff the shark currently pitching for the cubs.

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

bitonti is offline   Reply With Quote