Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic > Mafia Games

Old 07-06-2012, 03:54 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Imma try and get back into these....being jobless has forced me into early retirement haha

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:08 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So Draftopia is pretty much ready to go. The roles are set, the PMs are written, everything is done. The game will start Monday so get some rest Sunday night cuz you'll need ALL YOUR BRAINPOWERS AT 100%!

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:40 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
hey dudes, so from over here i'm trying to build an anonymizing board for some of these games, so that i can't just vote to lynch gonzo instantly or kill jbond on day one every single time. few questions:

- when y'all are creating games, how standard are the roles and abilities? it's hard to go through these and know which roles are normal, which ones are just rare, and which ones you made up out of thin air.

It depends on the person to be honest. Most roles are standard, but people are making up new things every day.

- as moderators, do you all just take the actions and stuff them into excel to work out what happened?

A google spreadsheet is what Cain has been using, and it looks good.

- would it be better for players or moderators (of each game) to choose their nickname (or, in the moderator's case, to choose nicknames for the players) for that game, or should the board automate it?

Automate it. The moderator should be MODERATOR or something like that.

- when creating a game, how do you go about balancing it? pen and paper, or is there a standard (X-player game = Y mafia members)?

Again, it depends on the mod. In a 25 person game, 5 should be Mafia. In a 30, 5-7. It just depends on how you balance out the roles in your game.

- do moderators need the ability to edit posts, or is deleting them sufficient?

Yes, editing would be useful. Deleting them is a must.

- what kinds of personal, single game or lifetime statistics would be cool/interesting/useful/dangerous?

It depends. You could easily track win/loss/win%age, etc, but people might use those to determine who to take out. I'll let someone else answer this.

- how often do you all impose a hard clock on night actions, and how useful would it be to automate it (to either end night actions, end a day, whatever)?

I could see having an automated system being helpful, but I don't think you should be forced to use it as a mod. If you want to, great, but you should be able to extend it if necessary.

- do any of you know ASP/MySQL?

ugh, f ASP.
My replies in bold, obviously.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:56 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only thing is that Renji and Woot will both be instantly recognizable just based on the broken english they use when posting.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:03 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
hey dudes, so from over here i'm trying to build an anonymizing board for some of these games, so that i can't just vote to lynch gonzo instantly or kill jbond on day one every single time. few questions:

- when y'all are creating games, how standard are the roles and abilities? it's hard to go through these and know which roles are normal, which ones are just rare, and which ones you made up out of thin air.

Pretty much not standard anymore as they have gone all over the place. Someone else can give you a better idea here

- as moderators, do you all just take the actions and stuff them into excel to work out what happened?

I put them in excel, most seem to do google docs

- would it be better for players or moderators (of each game) to choose their nickname (or, in the moderator's case, to choose nicknames for the players) for that game, or should the board automate it?

Automated would be best as long as they are not similar IMO. Moderators could do it too. Don't have users do it

- when creating a game, how do you go about balancing it? pen and paper, or is there a standard (X-player game = Y mafia members)?

It's ABOUT 25% Mafia depending on balance

Both are required IMO

- what kinds of personal, single game or lifetime statistics would be cool/interesting/useful/dangerous?

I think activity would be great statistics to have by post, maybe even by time of day if possible? Voting records COULD be interesting, but may be a bit dangerous in the long run. If we WOULD switch usernames every time, then I think voting records would be actually cool to keep and see and also allows users to switch their game up better

- how often do you all impose a hard clock on night actions, and how useful would it be to automate it (to either end night actions, end a day, whatever)?

I personally would love a hard clock on night actions, but 99/100 you will get the night actions in before the clock is up
Just from my perspective, I am FAR from the most experienced mod of these games.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
should the moderator's nfldc name be shown? or does that potentially give away too much about the game? i just figure it might make the waiting list stuff easier, though it wouldn't be too hard to incorporate some kind of queue, i guess.

should there be a warning, like "hey jackass, you only have 3 mafia members in your 62 person game" or is that just not really relevant or helpful? i'd probably add some links to mafiascum and whatnot on the create game page, so maybe that'd be enough.

as to the stats, they'd never be shown next to a player's game-name, only on a separate page. almost like a profile, where i could see only past games with stuff like, 'times killed, times mafia, times whatever'. i dunno. i figure then gonzo could justify his claims, or we could all point and laugh =P

i'd probably add a clock initially that wouldn't be functional... it might just print on the top of the page something like "game is past 24 hours" and let people do whatever they want with that. an RR solution would be easy to add in, as a moderator button press, though.
I think the Mod's name can be shown. We will likely know who is modding anyway.

I like the stats idea, but I am a bit of a stats ***** sometimes. I think it would be fun to have available after a few games as long as we keep switching up usernames.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:10 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
should the moderator's nfldc name be shown? or does that potentially give away too much about the game? i just figure it might make the waiting list stuff easier, though it wouldn't be too hard to incorporate some kind of queue, i guess.

It could, as long as when they're playing it isn't shown, but that is obvious.

should there be a warning, like "hey jackass, you only have 3 mafia members in your 62 person game" or is that just not really relevant or helpful? i'd probably add some links to mafiascum and whatnot on the create game page, so maybe that'd be enough.

A warning would be cool, but it really isn't necessary I don't think. If you're modding a game and you only have 3 mafia for 62 people, something is wrong and you should feel bad.

as to the stats, they'd never be shown next to a player's game-name, only on a separate page. almost like a profile, where i could see only past games with stuff like, 'times killed, times mafia, times whatever'. i dunno. i figure then gonzo could justify his claims, or we could all point and laugh =P

I love stats, so I'm not against it at all. Times killed/method killed/games won/game participated in/win%age/average post per game, etc. I love that stuff.

i'd probably add a clock initially that wouldn't be functional... it might just print on the top of the page something like "game is past 24 hours" and let people do whatever they want with that. an RR solution would be easy to add in, as a moderator button press, though.

An RR option would be good. I think a clock could be kept, just don't have it automatically close the thread. Or if you do, make sure the moderator can extend the time.
New replies.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:24 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
cheers guys... last one, does the 'number of votes required for a lynch' ever change? is it always a percentage of players left, or is that also completely variable?
It has to be a majority. So if there are 20 players left, 11 votes are needed. If there are 19, 10 votes.

Edit: Although, I believe there are roles that require one less or one more vote to lynch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:33 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Quote:

You're definitely Asian.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

This ranges depending on the game most games have a set of reasonably standard roles godfather, cop, tracker, etc. but most moderators do try to put their own spin on the game by creating a new kind of role.

I know I do

If it were me I'd like to make the nickname just so prevent confusion.

Balancing the game is the hardest part. I'm currently going over data to kind of make a value to the whole thing but if we are talking general rule of thumb 25% of the total are bad guys.

Yes I'd say so but if it is overly difficult just deleting them would suffice. Also the ability to lock the thread is paramount

winning %, mafia kill %, lynched%, most voted for off the top of my head.

Every game I mod has a clock for night actions and a clock for ending the day I've never had to impose the night clock but they all have one. As far as automating them most games have a getting close clause to extend the clock so I'm not sure

I know a bit of mySQL I'd really have to touch up but it shouldn't take more than a day or two.

My oppinons in bold

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:56 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I'd say yes just to keep the rule of law.

As I said in the previous post some abilities are stronger than others like a cop is stronger than a watcher or tracker in many cases. I'm going to try to make some data showing how much each position results in finding mafia. and attempt to make a point system. In your example hey you only have 3 mafia members in a 30 person game that could be OK if three mafia can kill and go against 27 vanilla townies.

Now that would be AWESOME!

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 07-06-2012, 06:34 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

boooo not even a chance to join the draftopia

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Holy ****, this thread got real.

But sounds awesome if it can be pulled together. I had been thinking for a while about a new board with new names because of the predicament of the same players being targeted, but I'm not remotely capable of doing this, and I thought people would care too much about posting habits, etc. to endorse a 'new' start.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:55 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

njx is so good to us.

This all does seem pretty great.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:04 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
yeah, i've been struggling for a way to make it work here (since there's no way to make it work with vbulletin), but i also sort of figure half of you post other places, and maybe other people might want to play without coming here (actually this is a good question, should there be a tie back to nfldc as a requirement, or should there just be a permanent username option so that anyone could go there?), or whatever. plus, i think most of the good players have gotten pissed about dying immediately at points, just because of name recognition.

i've got the baseline site on my work laptop, so hopefully i'll have some time this weekend. i'd really like to have a basic build up for people to poke at soon, so y'all can tell me what i did wrong before i waste too much time.
Let me know via IRC when you have a working model going and I'll try to break it for you.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I miss playing mafia. This Draftopia News game seems sweet.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:41 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
I miss playing mafia. This Draftopia News game seems sweet.
We miss you too Rob :-(

You're a good active player. Come back to us!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:56 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I have all night actions in. sending PMs as we speak.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 07-07-2012, 10:46 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

God dammit, I missed so much! That Draftopia thing looks good.

When can I run my game? I'm gonna have a lot of spare time on my hands, so I can do it any time really.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Id play yours right now

Old 07-07-2012, 11:01 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

There is a game going right now and Draftopia starts in two days, so maybe after that one?

I'd like to avoid three going on at once if possible.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:05 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah that's fine.

RIP themaninblack
Old 07-07-2012, 11:28 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No, it's not fine. Don't let vidae bully you SP.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

what ATL SAID!

Old 07-07-2012, 11:48 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Ok, i'll run it now then!

RIP themaninblack