Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 03-29-2007, 12:29 PM    (permalink
bonzi
Rookie

bonzi hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Drafting a WR in round 1?

Do you think it would be smart for the Vikings to maybe trade down, get another pick or 2 and maybe get one of the 1st round WR. It's one of our most glaring holes, and there are alot of good WR projected to go in the first. I deffinatly wouldn't mind seeing Dwayne Jarrett as a minnesota viking. And then we could use our extra picks and help cover other holes that we have.
bonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought it was a good plan, but I like the idea of getting an elite defensive player at 7, and then looking for a reciever in the second round amd maybe later.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:04 PM    (permalink
crazyisme
Rookie

crazyisme hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

im really like this idea:

if quinn is available, we can maybe get a first and 2nd from carolina for #7

at #14, we could take Meachem, then at #41 we could take Rice/Jarret/Smith

get 2 of the top 10 WRs in this draft and add a ton of youth, talent and potential to our ugly looking WR core

this still alows the vikes to grab an OG/OT with the other 2nd pick we get from carolina and we could go after Hughes in the 3rd (who i think has unjustly dropped lately) and get Marvin White (who i think is going to be a great safety) in the 4th
crazyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If somehow Quinn AND Landry are both available at 7, I'd love for us to trade down with Atlanta and pick up one of their "extra" day 1 picks.
Atlanta would get the player they really want, we'd get the QB we need
and we'd be able to pick up either another day 1 WR , possibly a RT prospect (a real one not a New Mexico center with terrible footwork) or
a solid D talent (LB /S/CB).
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:09 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

swagger hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would love to trade down because I think this team has a lot of holes to fill and could really gain from moving down and acquiring an additional first round pick. Unfortunately, I think it's probably a pipe dream with little chance of actually happening.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:23 PM    (permalink
VikesRule
Rookie

VikesRule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would be glad to get a WR in round one, only not at #7 unless CJ magically falls to us, which won't happen. Trading down, though, and getting someone like Bowe would be nice. But we probably should just take BPA at 7....
VikesRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:44 PM    (permalink
Purple N Proud

Hey all long time reader first time poster

I think unless it's CJ we might as well wait till the second. With the depth a few value guys are sure to fall. Even the third round has some interesting possibilities. I dunno, i'd hate to see us draft 2 first round wrs in 3 years.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:51 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think the consensus on here is that unless CJ falls that we're more likely to trade down out of 7 and then take a WR or just wait til the later rounds. Personally I want value (taking the best talent regardless of position) at every spot we pick, especially with the first 3 picks.

Welcome to the board !
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:56 AM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i wouldnt really mind trading down and picking up a WR in the 1st such as bowe but would much rather wait until the second round there is bound to be some round 1 WR talent that falls to us there.
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:26 AM    (permalink
amesbear
Rookie

amesbear hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like the idea of trading down with Carolina but I am struggling giving up a strong d back at the 7th. Our pass defense was horrible last year. I would love to see Landry or Hall in purple next year. Our receiving corp is serviceable and we could get someone like Rice in the second.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:30 AM    (permalink
Purple N Proud

On a side note, with Jarrett's stock falling lately is the consensus that he's still a first rounder? I remember when every mock had him going in the top 10, sometimes before we even got a shot at him. If we could pick him up in the second that'd be pretty tempting. He might not have the blazing speed, but I don't see the Mike Williams comparison so much. He's much better at getting separation and running his routes. Besides, speed isn't everything, ask Troy.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:23 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea he didnt have a great pro day workout but i highly doubt that he falls out of the first round just because of it i would be happy if he fell to us in the second though. i think he will go anywhere from 20-41
Old 03-31-2007, 05:49 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i know last night i made a mock draft really quick last night and Jarret is gone out of the 1st but thats just my idea. i had ginn falling to 30.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:05 PM    (permalink
secondeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
I think the consensus on here is that unless CJ falls that we're more likely to trade down out of 7 and then take a WR or just wait til the later rounds. Personally I want value (taking the best talent regardless of position) at every spot we pick, especially with the first 3 picks.

Welcome to the board !
I don't think you trade down any more than you would to get the guy you want at #7 to start with, because there are at least 10 impact players in this draft. We don't have to trade down to take a WR, we pick high enough in the 2nd round to get a quality WR.

Either we trade up for C.J, which we all know is a pipe dream, because it makes too much sense to turn a few good players (if we don't blow the picks) into a great player that can impact our offense positively in the mold of a Randy Moss, or we stand pat and get a guy like Peterson, Anderson, Branch, or whomever they think will start for the better part of a decade.

Would you really want to give up a possible stud defensive starter on a crapshoot groups of WRs like Meachem, Bowe, Ginn, Jarrett, Rice or whatever?
Old 04-09-2007, 12:30 AM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.

Simply put sounds like we all agree if his first name isnt Calvin and his last name isnt johnson he isnt worthy of a first round pick. Jarrett is another usc head case, Meachum is a possession receiver, and ginn is the same guy we cant find any use for now in williamson.

Not to mention of those three could slide to the second round. all of them have issues, Ginn and jarrett both have premadonna issues while Meachum isnt consistant enough to be considered a first rounder. If all we are going to do is trade down a nd gamble get the cards back on the phone and trade for fitzgerald **** atleast we know we are getting a quality young stud who wants to be a viking anyway. Or trade the pick to seattle and get a proven comidity.
Kid_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:34 AM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Ego View Post
Simply put sounds like we all agree if his first name isnt Calvin and his last name isnt johnson he isnt worthy of a first round pick. Jarrett is another usc head case, Meachum is a possession receiver, and ginn is the same guy we cant find any use for now in williamson.

Not to mention of those three could slide to the second round. all of them have issues, Ginn and jarrett both have premadonna issues while Meachum isnt consistant enough to be considered a first rounder. If all we are going to do is trade down a nd gamble get the cards back on the phone and trade for fitzgerald **** atleast we know we are getting a quality young stud who wants to be a viking anyway. Or trade the pick to seattle and get a proven comidity.
Actually if we were to trade down into the middle of the first, I would absolutely love for us to take Dwayne Bowe, as he would give our WR corps something in which they sorely lack...toughness

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:48 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Jarret was there in round 2 it should be a given.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:17 PM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
If Jarret was there in round 2 it should be a given.
Bowe would be better.

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:21 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardvikingsfan View Post
Bowe would be better.
I like bowe but I really like the Robert Meachem either way they are instant starters.

Mayock thinks that Jarret will fall into the 2nd round.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:26 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

I like bowe & meachem either one will do it for me but i dont really like either of them unless we are picking 15 or lower
Old 04-10-2007, 12:00 AM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

Pick 15 is the Steelers and supposly they might want to trade down to get Levi Brown but thats a big jump from 15 to 7 that means give up a lot of picks. I wouldnt mind taking Meachem at 14 with a trade with Carolina if LaRon Landry is sitting there or if they are really high on Patrick Willis.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:26 AM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.

its not like the guys we are picking up are bad players
Bobby wade was one of chicagos better wide outs when he was healthy
the te from the giants was a better blocker then shockey and very under rated

doss was conisdered a very good safty at indy under sized but perfect for the cover 2. but it just seems like there were better players available does it matter at all with out making a move for more depth at qb?
Kid_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote