Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:37 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Omaha I would think would be on the list.

Alabama? Utah?
Old 04-20-2012, 10:50 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Portland is a bigger tv market than some of the other NFL teams so I wonder if a team would work there.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:07 AM    (permalink
jojo
Rookie

jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
For those claiming that LA has failed twice to support an NFL team, no modern team could ever be financially successful in LA Coliseum. That is why the Rams and Raiders failed. LA wants to build a downtown stadium that is top of the line, that will bring the people.
Brent's right. The Mausoleum is a nightmare. Where they build this is critical, I saw an ESPN special about it a yr. ago. 4 different proposals were on the table, one guy wanted it in a city that has like 40 residents (all warehouses, in the filthy industrial p/o LA) & another wanted to dig half a mtn. away to put it in like San Dimas claiming to save >$400M.

Quote:
At least the Jags and their 35 fans get to keep their team!
I also thought the Jags would the relo to LA team, at least they'll keep the title of worst stadium.
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:10 AM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Link to Goodell's press conference in Minnesota
Should be starting any minute...

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/v...f-ff6741e34744

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:11 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would the Vikings switch divisions with the Rams if they move west? It would make sense.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:21 AM    (permalink
jojo
Rookie

jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Would the Vikings switch divisions with the Rams if they move west? It would make sense.
No more nostalgic Left Coast trips for the Rams vs. San Francisco, Seattle, etc. Boo-hoo!
Old 04-20-2012, 12:18 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
Omaha I would think would be on the list.

Alabama? Utah?
To put a team in Omaha but not in Minneapolis would be absurd, public funding or not.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 04-20-2012 at 12:21 PM.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:20 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Portland is a bigger tv market than some of the other NFL teams so I wonder if a team would work there.
It could, but Portland is a pretty eclectic and uber-progressive city. I highly doubt anyone would even bother proposing local funding for a stadium, and I think things like basketball and soccer are more ideal for that market (and the Oregon Ducks to a lesser degree).

Old 04-20-2012, 12:51 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I won't believe they're leaving till it happens. Itll just be weird to have the league without the Vikings.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:58 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...04-20-13-35-44

Quote:
A professional football void in Los Angeles came up during an urgent meeting Friday between NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and Minnesota lawmakers who have struggled to pass a financing package to build a new Vikings stadium.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Donnie D
Rookie

Donnie D hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
The untold part about this is that the league likes not having a team in L.A., because it puts pressure on all 32 cities to publicly support their teams. After the L.A. market is filled, what's going to take it's place? San Antonio? Portland?
wasnt there talk of the NFL wanting to put a team in Canada? i remember it was the Vikings, Bills, and Jaguars that was being considered to move to Toronto. curious what came up of all that.
"Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead."
Donnie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:33 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
This wouldn't happen. The 49ers and Rams have been rivals for decades and have the longest history within the division between any two combined teams.
This can't be a real thing. C'mon. You made it up. Admit it.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:58 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The qeue consisting of who? That's the primary reason why the NFL doesn't want to expand beyond 32 teams. Where, besides Europe or Canada, would you possibly go? Portland? San Antonio? Las Vegas? The list gets incredibly short, incredibly fast.
Well, considering that the league has expanded by a whopping six teams in the past 40 years, and have basically expanded in two-team increments during that span, I think you could be out of luck if you're the third city that's in line for a team.

I also don't think that the NFL is particularly inclined to expand if they can get a team to relocate to LA. Expansion would dilute talent, complicate the divisions, and it's not obvious that it would increase revenue. If a team relocates to LA, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see an expansion team until the 2020s. The 1990's were a modern-era aberration.

Last edited by WCH : 04-20-2012 at 07:05 PM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:12 PM    (permalink
VernonLawson89
Veteran

VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VernonLawson89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Still jelly?

Old 04-20-2012, 07:13 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
That was my first thought. The Lions, Vikings, Packers, and Bears have always been in the same division.

Getting way ahead of myself but my first idea was to swap the Vikings and Rams.
This is way too ironic.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Well, considering that the league has expanded by a whopping six teams in the past 40 years, and have basically expanded in two-team increments during that span, I think you could be out of luck if you're the third city that's in line for a team.

I also don't think that the NFL is particularly inclined to expand if they can get a team to relocate to LA. Expansion would dilute talent, complicate the divisions, and it's not obvious that it would increase revenue. If a team relocates to LA, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see an expansion team until the 2020s. The 1990's were a modern-era aberration.
They could have an International Division with teams in Toronto, London, Mexico City and.... wait for it....

Tokyo.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:23 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:

You're not disagreeing with anything I just said. The point is that Minnesota would still jump to the front of the line for any team looking to move (because, like I said, the NFL isn't expanding). There simply aren't that many markets left for teams to move.

But, either way, I don't care. Between college football, the NBA, NHL, and MLB, I don't really care if the Vikings move or not. I'd rather they open up the tv market so I can watch more Bears games on FOX.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:27 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You're not disagreeing with anything I just said. The point is that Minnesota would still jump to the front of the line for any team looking to move (because, like I said, the NFL isn't expanding). There simply aren't that many markets left for teams to move.

But, either way, I don't care. Between college football, the NBA, NHL, and MLB, I don't really care if the Vikings move or not. I'd rather they open up the tv market so I can watch more Bears games on FOX.
Unfortunately you'd probably just get Packer games. A lot more Packer fans than Bear fans in Minnesota.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:36 PM    (permalink
jojo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
They could have an International Division with teams in Toronto, London, Mexico City and.... wait for it....

Tokyo.
Uhh Tokyo? Sounds like Rollerball....that's where the Houston team member was beaten into catatonia.

I'm talking the original film version in the 70s, the one with James Caan & without Jean Reno. Actually one of the ironically prototypical futuristic scifi dystopic films. It was based on a story written by a Texas student in Austin who saw a riot break out in the late 60s after a Texas - Arkansas basketball game, the old Southwest Conference took its sports very seriously.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:44 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I think that the only thing we disagree on is the point about Minnesota jumping to the front of the line for teams looking to relocate. I think that Toronto and San Antonio still get first dibs (not counting LA), if they want the team; not to mention that the NFL and the city of LA seem to think that the city can support two teams (despite evidence to the contrary). Of course, all bets are off if an owner just wants to move his team to a specific city.

Minneapolis is obviously too big of a market to go without a team forever. I just think that they could be in for a 10-20 year wait (I think Baltimore had to wait 13 years). Cleveland and Houston were just very lucky that their teams left at a time when the NFL went expansion-crazy.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:49 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To be honest I don't know what this means in the grand scheme of things, but apparently the Goodell visit has picked up the stadium deal's momentum a little bit.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-stadium-bill/
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:57 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
To be honest I don't know what this means in the grand scheme of things, but apparently the Goodell visit has picked up the stadium deal's momentum a little bit.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-stadium-bill/
I was able to watch their press conference this morning, and I got the impression that Goodell said: "Guys, this is not a game." And then, the lawmakers said "Oh, we thought it was....our bad!"

It was a pretty heavy moment when the governor (?) said something along the lines of: "Mr. Goodell told us that they want a team in LA, but they don't want it to be the Vikings."

Last edited by WCH : 04-20-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:22 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

The Minnesota legislature is so randomly all over the place on this. That's why it's been impossible to build any substantial coalition in support of it. Most of the urban liberal democrats are against it as a form of corporate welfare, but a lot of the labor dems are in support of it as a job creator. Most Republicans are against it because they are now apparently against any public spending for anything, but there are still a fair number of them that don't want to be held responsible for letting the Vikings leave.

Gov. Dayton has been about as supportive of the Vikings stadium as you could possibly imagine.

It's weird to see a political issue that doesn't split down party lines. Most of them are just running around like headless chickens. I disagree with Dayton on this issue, but at least he's been saying the same thing since the beginning.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:25 PM    (permalink
jojo
Rookie

Quote:
I think that the only thing we disagree on is the point about Minnesota jumping to the front of the line for teams looking to relocate. I think that Toronto and San Antonio still get first dibs (not counting LA), if they want the team; not to mention that the NFL and the city of LA seem to think that the city can support two teams (despite evidence to the contrary). Of course, all bets are off if an owner just wants to move his team to a specific city.

Minneapolis is obviously too big of a market to go without a team forever. I just think that they could be in for a 10-20 year wait (I think Baltimore had to wait 13 years). Cleveland and Houston were just very lucky that their teams left at a time when the NFL went expansion-crazy.
UMMMHHH, sad but true.

Goodell sounds like what he did in the press conference was what he does best, noncommittal posturing toward the most PC position.

An owner as the driving force who moves HIS team to Los Angeles, yeah sounds about like what will actually occur. We saw NFL owners behave like self-anointed demi-gods in the CBA debate a yr. ago, now we will treated even more of this.

So it comes down to Zygi Wolf to pull the trigger on the Vikings LA relo. Ball's in your court Zygi, the Commish will support you 100% on what you decide, but you're the one who will have to push all his chips into the pot as the League will take zero risk.

Harbaugh & the 9ers crushing defense await the new LA team at the pass.....
Old 04-20-2012, 09:08 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wish people would stop bringing up San Antonio. They would not support an NFL franchise.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote