Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 04-26-2012, 12:09 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I am comfortable with the fact that Baalke is impossible to predict and his board has proven to be full of surprises. With that said, here is my huge-upside mock that features players that I feel fit what Baalke tends to go for...

1. Amini Silatolu - Guard - Midwestern State
2. Brandon Boykin - Cornerback/RS - Georgia
3. Robert Turbin - Running Back - Utah State
4. Tommy Streeter - Wide Receiver - Miami
5. Justin Bethel - Defensive Back - Presbyterian
6. Braylon Broughton - Outside Linebacker - TCU
7. Duke Ihenacho - Safety - San Jose State
So sick. Streeter & Boykin are 2 of my most wanted. Those top 4 would be amazing.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:10 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I am comfortable with the fact that Baalke is impossible to predict and his board has proven to be full of surprises. With that said, here is my huge-upside mock that features players that I feel fit what Baalke tends to go for...

Actually like this mock draft except for Turbin. With four RB's and 2 FB's on the roster, I just dont see the point in using a draft pick on a RB. Would rathet have a NT or C there instead. Otherwise, good.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:10 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
A MEANIE.. SHOULDA TOLD YOU! OG - Midwestern State
Nice, did this guy play in the Senior Bowl? The small school thing scares me...
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:14 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Actually like this mock draft except for Turbin. With four RB's and 2 FB's on the roster, I just dont see the point in using a draft pick on a RB. Would rathet have a NT or C there instead. Otherwise, good.
We have 3 TEs and you want Fleener.

The point is that you are hopefully improving the position by replacing someone with a younger and hopefully better player. Also, Gore may be done after this year and Dixon has disappointed.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:15 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
With two of those backs over 30 and one, that looks to be, out of favor with the staff I could see running back being a good value at that point of the draft. I like Turbin or Pead in round 3.
"When I'm on the field, my one thought is to completely annihilate you and do everything in my power to make you fail. I don't have a single thought about what my hair looks like, what my shoes look like, why my shirt's unbuttoned. I don't care who you are or what you've done in this game. - Brian Wilson
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:29 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is a pretty funny video actually . Amini Silatolo is killing these poor kids.

http://youtu.be/5y1vMglvFlE

Last edited by Shupp : 04-26-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:29 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp View Post
Nice, did this guy play in the Senior Bowl? The small school thing scares me...
invited but tore his hamstring and couldn't participate.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:51 AM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp View Post
This is a pretty funny video actually . Amini Silatolo is killing these poor kids.

http://youtu.be/5y1vMglvFlE
I'm not really a hip hop fan, but that song (the first one with Eminem) is freaking awesome. every verse is amazing.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:43 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, he basically said he wants to be a ST demon for the 49ers. Just so happens they need depth at his position.

There's also this...

Loving the beanie! Welcome to the Tony Montana Squad....maybe.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with 12 Picks in the Draft

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:08 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Very solid group, especially if they are able to get all of these players at those spots without maneuvering. I'm wondering where they have Silatolu rated and if they could move down a few spots and still grab him (assuming he's a player that is being targeted).

I'm a little concerned that dipping into the DII well so often would eventually bite the Niners in the ass.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:36 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
I'm not really a hip hop fan, but that song (the first one with Eminem) is freaking awesome. every verse is amazing.

Bad Meets Evil - 'Fast Lane'
Detriot based duo comprised of Eminen and Royce the 5'9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJOsjP33nF4

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 04-26-2012 at 01:55 PM.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:53 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
Yes, first rounders should be talent, not depth or need. Upside is ok, but some talent needs to be there.

Talent = Iupati

Need = Anthony Davis
Need = Kentwan Balmer
Need = Alex Smith

Talent + Need = Patrick Willis
Talent + Need = Michael Crabtree
I dont agree on Davis. I thought he was the most talented OT in that draft. Okung was the guy ready made to start from Day 1, guanranteed to be a solid pro. Trent Williams was the guy I thought that was the most technique-sound of the group. Bulaga I thought was strictly a RT and lacked athleticism. Davis I thought had the most upside of them all. Could project to either side and was the guy that impressed me the most out of all 4 watching them in college. You have to understand, Davis is only 23 yet he's heading into his 3rd year in the league. The kid is still learning. He hasnt even begun to scratch the surface of his potential. He's still a little soft, liked to see him get stronger but his technique is improved and and his feet are alot better. I still think he might actually be a better LT. He says his footwork feels more natural from the left side and I believe him.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:03 AM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Scott has us taking Amini, AJ Jenkins, and Trevor Guyton in his final mock. There's that name again, Amini, guess we can safely say he will NOT be the pick now, lol. I'd be happy if he were the pick. Has Kendall Wright slipping in the 2nd round. I like Kendall. Not too happy with the 2nd rd pick. We let Janoris Jenkins go a pick after us, and Boykin goes early 3rd. I think JJ goes early to mid 2nd though. Not too familiar with Guyton.

Edit: he has Turbin going a couple picks after us in the 3rd, so going by his mock would could realistically have it the way Phlysac did his mock. I like your mock better, Phly. The 2nd rd WRs just don't excite me much. I'd love Hill or Wright in rd 1, but if we don't go that direction i'd rather see us wait until rds 3 or 4 to select a WR.

Last edited by farfromforgotten : 04-26-2012 at 09:11 AM.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:32 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
I dont agree on Davis. I thought he was the most talented OT in that draft. Okung was the guy ready made to start from Day 1, guanranteed to be a solid pro. Trent Williams was the guy I thought that was the most technique-sound of the group. Bulaga I thought was strictly a RT and lacked athleticism. Davis I thought had the most upside of them all. Could project to either side and was the guy that impressed me the most out of all 4 watching them in college. You have to understand, Davis is only 23 yet he's heading into his 3rd year in the league. The kid is still learning. He hasnt even begun to scratch the surface of his potential. He's still a little soft, liked to see him get stronger but his technique is improved and and his feet are alot better. I still think he might actually be a better LT. He says his footwork feels more natural from the left side and I believe him.
I can see your argument and can place him in the Talent + Need category. He has upside and I'm not a fan at all of giving up on him and moving him in to RG, but I expect him to make big strides this offseason and in the 2012 season as a whole. Davis is an absolute mauler in the run game and has a nasty streak and his pass technique is improving. Just hoping he can take the next step and justify his Top 10 Draft status.

Also, if Iupati isn't a Pro Bowler next season, I'll be shocked.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:48 AM    (permalink
H.O.O.D
Veteran

H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am probably out on this limb all by myself but I am going to predict that our first pick will be a pass rusher (OLB) unless we trade up or a higher rated player slides.

I disagree with Dan who thinks pass rusher is a wasted early pick. It is a lot less of a luxury than Fleener would be that is for sure....pass rushers are a premium especially in a passing league and it never hurts to have a plethora of guys who can get after a QB, especially when teams sub packages are seeing more and more snaps with the transition to a passing league. Doubt NY Giants fans complain about having too many guys who can rush the passer.

Behind Brooks and Smith we are thin. Parys Haralson ? Puhhleeezzzeee. You need QUALITY depth in the NFL, and for us at OLB I just don't believe we have that. Don't know if the pass rusher we will take is Branch, Perry, McClellin, Irvin, Mercilus or some other but I think that will be the first target for us. We are not in must win now mode, so we don't have to draft a player who has to be a day 1 starter, however at the very least a pass rusher can still help this team tremendously in sub packages and on ST's. Baalke did say that he considered it a big expectation for anybody to come in and start from Day 1, and Aldon came in last year as a sub package player whose PT grew with each and every week.

Only hours until we see what happens but that is my prediction.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:44 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.O.O.D View Post
I am probably out on this limb all by myself but I am going to predict that our first pick will be a pass rusher (OLB) unless we trade up or a higher rated player slides.

I disagree with Dan who thinks pass rusher is a wasted early pick. It is a lot less of a luxury than Fleener would be that is for sure....pass rushers are a premium especially in a passing league and it never hurts to have a plethora of guys who can get after a QB, especially when teams sub packages are seeing more and more snaps with the transition to a passing league. Doubt NY Giants fans complain about having too many guys who can rush the passer.

Behind Brooks and Smith we are thin. Parys Haralson ? Puhhleeezzzeee. You need QUALITY depth in the NFL, and for us at OLB I just don't believe we have that. Don't know if the pass rusher we will take is Branch, Perry, McClellin, Irvin, Mercilus or some other but I think that will be the first target for us. We are not in must win now mode, so we don't have to draft a player who has to be a day 1 starter, however at the very least a pass rusher can still help this team tremendously in sub packages and on ST's. Baalke did say that he considered it a big expectation for anybody to come in and start from Day 1, and Aldon came in last year as a sub package player whose PT grew with each and every week.

I really like Whitney Mercilus, the OLB from Illinois as a guy has a high ceiling and would be ideal to rotate in with Aldon and Brooks to keep the relentless pass rush happening. If he's there at 30, there is great value IMO.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:46 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Those predicting a 1st round OLB could be on to something

https://twitter.com/#!/SidelineFB/st...16542560116737

Quote:
So San Francisco is the promise team for Bruce Irvin in the first?
https://twitter.com/#!/SidelineFB/st...17298793127937

Quote:
I was surprised to hear the SF as the landing spot for Irvin last night as I expected it to be a crazy Belichick special.
If we feel confident in Kilgore at RG....our holes shrink to basically zero. At that point you take the BPA at a valuable position and pass rusher is right up there...so i wouldn't be against it. Still wouldn't mind trading back and taking him if that's the case.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:58 PM    (permalink
H.O.O.D
Veteran

H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Those predicting a 1st round OLB could be on to something

https://twitter.com/#!/SidelineFB/st...16542560116737

https://twitter.com/#!/SidelineFB/st...17298793127937

If we feel confident in Kilgore at RG....our holes shrink to basically zero. At that point you take the BPA at a valuable position and pass rusher is right up there...so i wouldn't be against it. Still wouldn't mind trading back and taking him if that's the case.
That is not why I am predicting a pass rusher at 30. Doubt we told any player we will take him in first...either some other team did or his agent is making this noise.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:04 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

no thanks. when i see bruce irvin, i immediately think manny lawson...... :(

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:11 PM    (permalink
jojo
Rookie

jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
no thanks. when i see bruce irvin, i immediately think manny lawson...... :(
The smell of his hype is too ripe already.

And they took Aldon Smith & have Smith on the other DE, pass rush is not a serious rqmt. I still say smokescreen, they're going OG.
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:20 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
We have 3 TEs and you want Fleener.

The point is that you are hopefully improving the position by replacing someone with a younger and hopefully better player. Also, Gore may be done after this year and Dixon has disappointed.
Byham is coming off a season ending injury and Walker is an UFA next off-season which means that we only have ONE TE in Davis that can be counted on. Reasons why I want Fleener are simple - he adds a red zone threat, can break tackles like VD and is fast. Add in the fact that he should already know the offense means that unlike most players coming out of college, the transition should be minimal at worse if that. Also, if it was me, I would draft Fleener and then trade Walker Friday to the highest bidder. Byham is also a blocking TE. I want an offensive weapon and a TE like Fleener will cause matchup nightmares for opposing defenses especially when they see him next to or opposite Davis.

People say that Gore has one year left but if that was really true and management thought that, I dont think that they would have extended his contract and granted, after 2012, they could release him without any cap penalty, you dont extend a franchise RB just for one more year. Makes no sense. Gore has at two years left in him, maybe more but in order for that to happen, they need to give Hunter the ball more because he's small, quick, fast and explosive and better than Dixon/Jacobs. Jacobs is just to push Dixon and im hoping that Dixon responds in TC and PreSeason so they can release Jacobs. And adding an explosive weapon like Fleener on offense also adds to Gore's career because they wouldnt have to just use Gore all the time.

I believe Fleener would be far more useful and impactful than Crabtree, Manningham and Moss will be. He's basically Davis part two which is more than okay by me. Add in the other factors and to me, if he's there at 30, he's the best and safest pick in my opinion. And if we pass on him, I know 100% that the Giants will take him because they have a huge need at TE with their only healthy TE being Bennett from the Cowboys. They would easily take Fleener at 32 who quite honestly, even at 30 is a steal and far more ready than any WR at those spots.

Oh well, 5 1/2 hours to go....cant wait!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 01:27 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

If they go OLB in the first, it needs to be Mercilus, not Irvin. Irvin may even still be there when they pick in the 2nd. He'd be a reach in the first IMO. No way the Niners told someone they would take them in the first. They haven't been operating like that. They were targeting Aldon by far in the first last year and Aldon had zero idea....and that was with a lot less speculation on who would fall to 7. I just don't see them having ONE guy they like at 30 that they are targeting.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:33 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
I can see your argument and can place him in the Talent + Need category. He has upside and I'm not a fan at all of giving up on him and moving him in to RG, but I expect him to make big strides this offseason and in the 2012 season as a whole. Davis is an absolute mauler in the run game and has a nasty streak and his pass technique is improving. Just hoping he can take the next step and justify his Top 10 Draft status.

Also, if Iupati isn't a Pro Bowler next season, I'll be shocked.
If Iupati isnt a All-Pro next year, I'd be shocked. He actually regressed from his rookie year. I thought he should have made the Pro Bowl his rookie year. But what we asked him to do in WCO is little different from the digit system we were running his rookie year + the lockout might have be the reason he didnt take that next step. He can be soooooo much better though, its scary.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:33 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:

I'll be pissed if we draft another pass rushing OLB at 30. We have Smith, Brooks was re-signed and Haralson is better coming off the bench. A rookie OLB wont even see that much playing time because Brooks can play all three downs and Smith isnt going to be taken off in passing situations. Maybe third or fourth round but no way in hell, should an OLB be picked at 30 or in the second round.

OLB is WAY more of a luxury pick than Fleener and here's why - There's already three OLB's ahead of that rookie, two of which are set as starters but at TE, Byham is a blocking TE and coming off a season ending injury, Walker will be gone in a year so in a year from now, when all we have is Davis and looking to draft a TE to back him up, then im sure everyone will be saying that we should have drafted Fleener instead of an OLB. OLB at 30 is a waste of a draft pick and way more of a luxury and im tired of everyone here acting like the defense needs help. It doesnt. The offense NEEDS MAJOR help and Fleener would just be a part of that. Quite honestly, the only defensive player I would even want at 30 is CB Stephon Gilmore but he'll be long gone. Aside from him, it should be 100% offense.

You talk about the Giants pass rush and I agree but there's one difference that they have we dont - offense, mainly a passing offense. Its a passing league and you need offensive playmakers and weapons on offense. Not playing ball control because concertative crap isnt going to win you a God damn thing. Being aggressive is better. Want to win? You have to go out and get the win because its not just going to come to you.

Haralson is good enough as the third OLB. All we need is a late round OLB for special teams. Thats it. Everyone seems to be focused on defense yet, its offense that has won the last 10 of 12 Super Bowls or whatever it is. Sorry, defense is great but unless your defense scores you 20 points a game, you're not winning a Super Bowl. Its very simple, team that scores the most points wins the game and we NEED to score more points. Just adding an extra TD to the 23+ppg we scored would be HUGE and a far better addition than any OLB at 30 would be.

And yeah, I do believe that Fleener would help us on day one and everyone here wants a big red zone target. Well, there ya go.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:54 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Nic Perry I would absolutely love. I'm 50/50 on Irvin. Love the athleticism and his high ceiling potential but I think he will struggle early on with his strength and he's rawer than All-Done was coming into the draft. Everyone else I dont see as first round talent. But the problem I see with taking a pass-rusher@30 is when does he play? Brooks and All-Done aren't coming off the field. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down, those guys will be in on the action. Haralson is ok as a starter but as a back-up, he's solid. Thats the role he thrived in before, amassing 8 sacks in his second year(maybe it was his 3rd, I forget). So when does the rookie play? Thats the reason I warmed up to the idea of OG was because its one of the only positions on the team where a rookie could realistically come in and be a starter by the Packers game. WR, its a open competition, IMO. We have a question mark(Moss), a highly regarded FA(Manningham), and a incumbent #1 who hasn't really played like one(Crabs). I could easily see a talented rookie coming and pushing anyone of them down the depth chart. Guess it all depends on Baalke's big board. If the talent is at OLB, than I guess that's what it will be .