Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 04-26-2012, 02:05 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
If they go OLB in the first, it needs to be Mercilus, not Irvin. Irvin may even still be there when they pick in the 2nd. He'd be a reach in the first IMO. No way the Niners told someone they would take them in the first. They haven't been operating like that. They were targeting Aldon by far in the first last year and Aldon had zero idea....and that was with a lot less speculation on who would fall to 7. I just don't see them having ONE guy they like at 30 that they are targeting.
Not a Mercilus fan. Its like with Sanu, idk why but when I watched him, I dont see a guy who is extremely talented. And both games I saw him, he had good games, made plays but its like Im looking at Robert Ayers 2.0.

I will say this though, if we put that out there to Irvin, its a ploy to get our real target to fall. That doesn't seem very Baalk-esque. No way he told a pick, "your our guy".

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 04-26-2012 at 02:08 PM.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:19 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some more evidence to support that the 49ers love Irvin..

Quote:
On NFL Network Wednesday, Mike Lombardi said there was one team in the first round that was in love with Irvin. Lombardi is good friends with Jim Harbaugh and was the first (only?) prognosticator last year to link the 49ers with Aldon Smith.
Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...#storylink=cpy

Its totally out of character for Baalke or Harbaugh to tell a player that...but the evidence seems to point to it. I also wouldn't have expected Baalke to say they were in love with a player in a Press Conference but he did last week (totally out of character) so who knows...
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:50 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Not a Mercilus fan. Its like with Sanu, idk why but when I watched him, I dont see a guy who is extremely talented. And both games I saw him, he had good games, made plays but its like Im looking at Robert Ayers 2.0.

I will say this though, if we put that out there to Irvin, its a ploy to get our real target to fall. That doesn't seem very Baalk-esque. No way he told a pick, "your our guy".
Mercilus already has productivity as a proven pass rusher and draft pundits believe he came out a year earlier than he could have. He'd be considered a Top 10 lock next year, which I believe helps demonstrate his upside (getting a possible blue chip guy to develop more at a non-blue chip draft spot) as far as a prospect goes in a position the Niners could use depth (and negotiating power to lower Haralson's contract) in. I like him a lot more than Irvin, who the Niners (or whoever it is) are using as an obvious smokescreen.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:56 PM    (permalink
H.O.O.D
Veteran

H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
I'll be pissed if we draft another pass rushing OLB at 30. We have Smith, Brooks was re-signed and Haralson is better coming off the bench. A rookie OLB wont even see that much playing time because Brooks can play all three downs and Smith isnt going to be taken off in passing situations. Maybe third or fourth round but no way in hell, should an OLB be picked at 30 or in the second round.

OLB is WAY more of a luxury pick than Fleener and here's why - There's already three OLB's ahead of that rookie, two of which are set as starters but at TE, Byham is a blocking TE and coming off a season ending injury, Walker will be gone in a year so in a year from now, when all we have is Davis and looking to draft a TE to back him up, then im sure everyone will be saying that we should have drafted Fleener instead of an OLB. OLB at 30 is a waste of a draft pick and way more of a luxury and im tired of everyone here acting like the defense needs help. It doesnt. The offense NEEDS MAJOR help and Fleener would just be a part of that. Quite honestly, the only defensive player I would even want at 30 is CB Stephon Gilmore but he'll be long gone. Aside from him, it should be 100% offense.

You talk about the Giants pass rush and I agree but there's one difference that they have we dont - offense, mainly a passing offense. Its a passing league and you need offensive playmakers and weapons on offense. Not playing ball control because concertative crap isnt going to win you a God damn thing. Being aggressive is better. Want to win? You have to go out and get the win because its not just going to come to you.

Haralson is good enough as the third OLB. All we need is a late round OLB for special teams. Thats it. Everyone seems to be focused on defense yet, its offense that has won the last 10 of 12 Super Bowls or whatever it is. Sorry, defense is great but unless your defense scores you 20 points a game, you're not winning a Super Bowl. Its very simple, team that scores the most points wins the game and we NEED to score more points. Just adding an extra TD to the 23+ppg we scored would be HUGE and a far better addition than any OLB at 30 would be.

And yeah, I do believe that Fleener would help us on day one and everyone here wants a big red zone target. Well, there ya go.
So what happens to our pass rush if Aldon went down with an injury? Walker is much more reliable as a starter if we lost Davis than Haralson would be if we lost Smith. You don't need another OLB for ST's and thats it. A rookie can rotate in and help keep guys fresh and be used in sub packages. It allows Fangio to be creative with personnel in the sub packages and with his blitzes and coverages. Just because we have guys who can or have been used for all three downs does not mean they wouldnt prefer to have the depth that allows you to rotate and keep guys fresher, especially late in games and late in the season.

There are no guarantees that Walker is gone after this year. Just like there are no guarantees that Fleener even sees the field as a rookie...players who can't block are one dimensional and can be a liablity...this is a passing league but as much as you need offensive playmakers for the pass game you also need defensive playmakers to help defenses to defend the pass. Goes both ways. Fleener has a long way to go in developing as a blocker. Great prospect but by no means can we be assured of him making any more of an impact than a pass rusher. The Giants offense had playmakers yes, but not at TE. We may have had a good defense but we can stand to improve the depth there. I agree we need to improve the offensive skill positions as well but adding a skilled body at WR is far more important than a skilled body at TE is.

Most teams place a high value on pass rushers as they impact a game much more. Many believe pass rushers to be the most valuable position outside of QB. Any improvements to the pass rush also help the secondary. We could still draft a TE outside the first to be the 3rd TE and get a WR as well and both could contribute. You seem to think the only way to help our offense is to get someone at 30 but that is simply not true.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:15 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm thinking Janoris Jenkins if he's on the board that's my prediction.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:17 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.O.O.D View Post
So what happens to our pass rush if Aldon went down with an injury? Walker is much more reliable as a starter if we lost Davis than Haralson would be if we lost Smith. You don't need another OLB for ST's and thats it. A rookie can rotate in and help keep guys fresh and be used in sub packages. It allows Fangio to be creative with personnel in the sub packages and with his blitzes and coverages. Just because we have guys who can or have been used for all three downs does not mean they wouldnt prefer to have the depth that allows you to rotate and keep guys fresher, especially late in games and late in the season.

There are no guarantees that Walker is gone after this year. Just like there are no guarantees that Fleener even sees the field as a rookie...players who can't block are one dimensional and can be a liablity...this is a passing league but as much as you need offensive playmakers for the pass game you also need defensive playmakers to help defenses to defend the pass. Goes both ways. Fleener has a long way to go in developing as a blocker. Great prospect but by no means can we be assured of him making any more of an impact than a pass rusher. The Giants offense had playmakers yes, but not at TE. We may have had a good defense but we can stand to improve the depth there. I agree we need to improve the offensive skill positions as well but adding a skilled body at WR is far more important than a skilled body at TE is.

Most teams place a high value on pass rushers as they impact a game much more. Many believe pass rushers to be the most valuable position outside of QB. Any improvements to the pass rush also help the secondary. We could still draft a TE outside the first to be the 3rd TE and get a WR as well and both could contribute. You seem to think the only way to help our offense is to get someone at 30 but that is simply not true.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree but if we pass on an offensive player like Fleener, Hill or Silatolu for an OLB, im NOT going to be happy.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
I'm thinking Janoris Jenkins if he's on the board that's my prediction.
I wouldn't be shocked if it were him or Nick Perry.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:21 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate that I want the same player Dan does lol.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
2nd sign of the apocalypse. LMAO

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:26 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
You want Fleener too or are you just being sarcastic?
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
**** yeah I want Fleener. He's going to be Gronkesque.

Disclaimer: I want Fleener. I think we're taking Silatolu.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:25 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
Mercilus already has productivity as a proven pass rusher and draft pundits believe he came out a year earlier than he could have. He'd be considered a Top 10 lock next year, which I believe helps demonstrate his upside (getting a possible blue chip guy to develop more at a non-blue chip draft spot) as far as a prospect goes in a position the Niners could use depth (and negotiating power to lower Haralson's contract) in. I like him a lot more than Irvin, who the Niners (or whoever it is) are using as an obvious smokescreen.
Productivity in college is great in all but when I watch a kid, Im not looking at him saying to myself wow, he's got great numbers. I have to see the uniqueness in what he brings to the table. The talent should jump off the screen and I should see how this kid's skill translate at the next level. Its not always immediate but I should see something, the more I zero in on a guy. And what I'm saying is i didnt see that from Mercilus. Now of course, Im no expert, its all just opinion in that regard but I saw alot more upside from Irvin, though he may not have been as productivity.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:27 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

I would hate if we took Irvin over Perry. If Perry falls, would absolutely love him@30. Next to Hill, Jones and Poe, he's been my biggest draft crush.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:40 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Ok, before the festivities begin, Im going to chime in and say Gilmore is the guy at 30 if we dont trade back....
Old 04-26-2012, 07:14 PM    (permalink
jojo
Rookie

jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We all want Fleener. It's the right pick made in the sober pure light of dawn
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:55 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
We all want Fleener. It's the right pick made in the sober pure light of dawn
Ummmmmmm no we dont, and no it isnt.....
Old 04-26-2012, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Arizona takes Floyd. Damn. I love Floyd. At least it wasn't DeCastro.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Rams finally select ... Michael Brockers.

He's got good bust potential.

Please pass on DeCastro Seattle. I mocked them taking Coples at 12.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:31 PM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, no worries about missing out on Irvin now.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:32 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Seattle takes Bruce Irvin.

Wow.

I'll take it lol.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:45 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lombardi just said on NFLN that the 49ers WERE the team that told Irvin they would take him at pick 30.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:48 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

DeCastro still out there after 17 picks. Trade up time baby!

Old 04-26-2012, 09:09 PM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Too many choices :S
Old 04-26-2012, 09:11 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

20 picks in and DeCastro is still there.

I want him sooooooooo bad.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:13 PM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Hill, Randle, Fleener, Silatolu, Dennard

Choices choices choices.