Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

View Poll Results: Will Brockers be like Spears?
Yes 11 40.74%
No 16 59.26%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2012, 07:08 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You have to cross your fingers with most DT prospects. Few ever play up to the projection they're given as college pro prospects.

What about Tyson Jackson as a comparison for Brockers??
Old 04-22-2012, 07:26 PM    (permalink
Master Exploder
Rookie

Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Master Exploder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This thread seems crazy. Marcus Spears was a GREAT prospect coming out and some of you are really selling him short.
Master Exploder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:22 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Exploder View Post
This thread seems crazy. Marcus Spears was a GREAT prospect coming out and some of you are really selling him short.
And he has been a stellar DE. It is one reason I thought it was a good comparison.

J
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:34 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
And he has been a stellar DE. It is one reason I thought it was a good comparison.

J
Meh, Spears lost his job to Kenyon Coleman this year. He's basically become a JAG.

If Brockers only develops into what Spears has become in the NFL, he will be a huge disappointment.

I don't see many similarities between them besides both playing DL at LSU anyway. Spears wishes he had the power, size and ability to physically overwhelm lineman the way Brockers can.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 04-22-2012 at 10:43 PM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:37 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Meh, Spears lost his job to Kenyon Coleman this year. He's basically become a JAG.

If Brockers only develops into what Spears has become in the NFL, he will be a huge disappointment.

I don't see many similarities between them besides both playing DL at LSU anyway. Spears wishes he had the power, size and ability to physically overwhelm lineman the way Brockers can.
You are talking about him for what he did in the NFL though. That does not apply to this conversation because this is a prospect comparison.

If you want to compare them as prospects, Spears was actually a legit stud and provided a good pass rush in college, while Brockers is just all potential that probably won't be fulfilled.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:45 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Comparisons fine. Have heard the Spears comparison before, although I think they are a bit different players.

A comparison I've also heard is Marcus Stroud coming out of Georgia.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:12 AM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think both Spears and Tyson Jackson are superior prospects to Brockers.

From what I can tell, what Brockers really has going for him is that his frame is ideal. He's a young player, and he's already good against the run, but if he's drafted high it's a pure potential kind of pick.

Brockers has "boom or bust" written all over him and the only reason we're not talking about it as much is that the "Boom/Bust" label is more applicable to Poe.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:27 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree that it's boom/bust (and reports of poor interviews accentuate this), but I don't know if it's a "pure potential" type of pick. I guess it depends on how you define it. I think you can make the argument that because he's solid with the run and has athleticism, that it's a combination of high floor and potential that you'd be drafting. I mean, is there a DT in the draft that you would feel more comfortable about in the run game than Brockers? Maybe Poe, or maybe a Ta'amu, but I feel a lot more comfortable about Brockers ability to hold and anchor against the run.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:26 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
You are talking about him for what he did in the NFL though. That does not apply to this conversation because this is a prospect comparison.

If you want to compare them as prospects, Spears was actually a legit stud and provided a good pass rush in college, while Brockers is just all potential that probably won't be fulfilled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post

J
He was talking about Spears as a pro.

Spears was a very good prospect when he came out. He had the resume, good size for a 34 End, and overall just seemed like a very safe pick. I still think Brockers is the better physical specimen and has a higher ceiling than Spears was thought to have as a prospect. It was also well known that Spears was lazy and had a poor motor, while with Brockers you hear he's a hard worker and you can see his motor constantly show up on tape. I think looking back it's safe to say that maybe Spears was even more lazy than we were led to believe.

Brockers is just bigger, longer, and stronger. For a kid that's only played DL for 2 years, he does a much better job engaging blockers and ripping off with power than Spears ever did at LSU. In fact, that was one of Spears' biggest question marks. There's just a certain "country strength" that Brockers plays with on tape, and it reminds me of more John Henderson than Marcus Spears.

He's not all potential either, the kid is going to come in from Day 1 and be a FORCE in the running game and at the very least be able to overwhelm and collapse the pocket when left 1on1 in the passing game. Brockers' potential is not "well he's not a finished product and might have to be shelfed for a year or 2, but when he gets there he'll be great", it's more "man this kid is already a beast for us, imagine how great he can be once he gets even more familiar with the position and even more time in an NFL weightroom. He's going to be a monster!". Once you understand how much room he has to grow mentally and physically at the position, and then look at how great he already is now... then you can start to fully appreciate him as a prospect.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 04-23-2012 at 08:37 AM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:30 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just don't see what some of you guys are seeing with Brockers. I don't see elite, or even great athleticism. I see strength (mostly lower body), but that's about it. I see no burst or quickness from him. He doesn't use his length properly and consistently plays too high. I never been "wowed" when watching him play. He doesn't offer any type of pass rush, and to be honest I haven't any pass rush potential either. He is intriguing because he's one of, if not the best run defenders in this draft. However, I just can't see playing this guy on passing downs. He was consistently dominated one-on-one in the passing game at LSU (when he wasn't just removed from the field in those situations), and I just don't see that changing any time soon.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:45 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Actually, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Spears was proven coming out of college and his first round status was not based on potential at all. He was a first team all-american as a senior and first team all-SEC as a junior and senior. As for offering nothing against the pass, Spears actually had 6 sacks as a junior and 9 as a senior, both impressive numbers from the DT position.

Spears was actually a much better prospect.
I was talking about Spears the NFL player against the pass, which is what actually counts.

EVEN then, Spears for all his size, athleticism, and production in college he didn't find his way into the top 10 of a pretty weak top 10.

Edit: Completely agreed with P-L's post above. I have problems with his playing time at LSU...there wasn't much of it.