Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Houston Texans Team Forum

Houston Texans Team Forum Discuss the Texans

Old 03-29-2007, 06:50 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Thoughts on the upcoming draft.

With all the off-season movement I think it's a good a time as any to re-assess our needs and whathaveyou about what direction our team should go in and who we should target.

With the addition of Green, I don't think RB is a need so unless Peterson falls I don't think we're going with that position and even if Peterson does fall that far, I think it would be in our best interest to trade back in that situation. GB and Buffalo both need RB's so GB might consider this option as well as other teams who would like to pick up Peterson. While I think Peterson is a great talent I think with our backfield situation we could pass on him even if we don't trade down. We just re-signed C. Taylor so we're bringing back all our RB's from last yr. in addition to Green. While I wouldn't be mad if we pulled the trigger on Peterson, it is my belief that Lundy and Taylor should be given an opportunity to showcase their talent. However I would not be opposed to a later rd. RB for competition. On the first day however I don't think RB is a need. How things change @ the beginning of the off-season I thought we would need a RB in the draft. Oh well, moving on.

LT, the paper made mention of this, but you know what they didn't really report what was said just spun it to sound like a possibility in the first rd. You know what I think? I think Brown is not worth the 10th overall pick. I mean the guy would help, but with our situation he wouldn't help the most. We have a recovering stud in Spencer, capable LT's in Black, Salaam, and Winston. While some may argue that they can't cut it, I just don't see Brown as enough of an upgrade over them to warrant the 10th pick. Obviously this is JMO, but I don't think LT is a need we should address with our first pick.

WR, Okay, a case can be made that we need someone opposite of Johnson. Totally, I can agree where you would be coming from, however @ the ten spot you should get a primary receiver and we already have that in Johnson, I don't see anybody outside of CJ that could replace AJ. That being said we gotta make our first pick count and while having a complimentary receiver would really help I think we could pick one up in the third or on the second day. Also, I know alot of people don't think Walters is capable, but I think he should be given the opportunity he always came through in the clutch last season so I think he should be given the opportunity. Although if Smith of USC is there in the third I wouldn't see anything wrong with that.

AAAGGGGHHh, it sucks that we don't have a second rounder!! You hear me it suuuuuuuuuucks!!

Okay now that I got that out of the way, those are/were our biggest needs on offense. So now we go on to defense, as many say the side that wins championships.

LB is set, though I drool @ the thought of Willis/Ryans combo. I know it's just a delusion, but c'mon you gotta agree that would be freaking awesome. Sorry, nothing much to say about this group as it's already set.

DL, man this is where it get's juicy, you got three guys that are totally worth the 10th pick and obviously there's no guarantee they'll all be there, but Anderson, Okoye (Tommie Harris type impact anybody?), and Carriker. While I was against DL at the beginning of the off-season, the impact these guys could have is undeniable. I would love to see any of these guys in Battle Red!! Plus, with only Mario and Weaver really being anchors on our D-line bringing in more talent is a must. Sorry, but Okoye just makes the most sense to me out of the three we really have no inside presence.

Secondary, Landry. Nuff said. Unless he's gone than Nelson, I don't think he's a reach if Landry is gone, but we gotta see how it all plays out.

Thoughts? Comments?
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:36 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. AP would be too tough to pass on, but I doubt he makes it to us.
2. Landry is a huge need, and a great player and would be awesome value at 10.
3. Okoye is one of my favorite players in the draft, but I have mixed opinions on the pick, but I love him as a player.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:07 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am a cowboy fan, but I try to cheer for the Texans because they are in-state. They make it hard for me, though. I don't understand most of their off season moves (not just this year).

Having said that, I must say I understand why they took Mario last year. Hindsight is 20/20 now, but a the time, yall needed everything but a running back, wide receiver and a returner (IMO).

So if I was to give an opinion on what I would do this year, I would trade down. I don't see anyone at number 10 that would make a big difference.

Staying at #10, I would surely go d-line. The way I see it, yall have three players with massive potential (Mario, Johnson and Robinson). Out of those three, Mario has the most potential IMO. I say you give him every ounce of help you can. I think the rest of the league laughs when Mario is brought up in conversation, but I think he could make them eat crow with a supporting cast up front.

A second point to take d-line. A dominate dt would probably command more blockers, making Ryans more incredible (if that is possible).

However, I would trade down. I would take a dt in the second, and a corner and maybe Quenton Mosses in the third. Second day, I would take ol or wr. I think you could still find a starter there that late.

Yall watch more Texan football than I do, so this may be horrible advice. But thats what I am thinking.
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:54 PM    (permalink
MP123
Veteran

MP123 smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchapin View Post
With all the off-season movement I think it's a good a time as any to re-assess our needs and whathaveyou about what direction our team should go in and who we should target.

With the addition of Green, I don't think RB is a need so unless Peterson falls I don't think we're going with that position and even if Peterson does fall that far, I think it would be in our best interest to trade back in that situation. GB and Buffalo both need RB's so GB might consider this option as well as other teams who would like to pick up Peterson. While I think Peterson is a great talent I think with our backfield situation we could pass on him even if we don't trade down. We just re-signed C. Taylor so we're bringing back all our RB's from last yr. in addition to Green. While I wouldn't be mad if we pulled the trigger on Peterson, it is my belief that Lundy and Taylor should be given an opportunity to showcase their talent. However I would not be opposed to a later rd. RB for competition. On the first day however I don't think RB is a need. How things change @ the beginning of the off-season I thought we would need a RB in the draft. Oh well, moving on.

LT, the paper made mention of this, but you know what they didn't really report what was said just spun it to sound like a possibility in the first rd. You know what I think? I think Brown is not worth the 10th overall pick. I mean the guy would help, but with our situation he wouldn't help the most. We have a recovering stud in Spencer, capable LT's in Black, Salaam, and Winston. While some may argue that they can't cut it, I just don't see Brown as enough of an upgrade over them to warrant the 10th pick. Obviously this is JMO, but I don't think LT is a need we should address with our first pick.

WR, Okay, a case can be made that we need someone opposite of Johnson. Totally, I can agree where you would be coming from, however @ the ten spot you should get a primary receiver and we already have that in Johnson, I don't see anybody outside of CJ that could replace AJ. That being said we gotta make our first pick count and while having a complimentary receiver would really help I think we could pick one up in the third or on the second day. Also, I know alot of people don't think Walters is capable, but I think he should be given the opportunity he always came through in the clutch last season so I think he should be given the opportunity. Although if Smith of USC is there in the third I wouldn't see anything wrong with that.

AAAGGGGHHh, it sucks that we don't have a second rounder!! You hear me it suuuuuuuuuucks!!

Okay now that I got that out of the way, those are/were our biggest needs on offense. So now we go on to defense, as many say the side that wins championships.

LB is set, though I drool @ the thought of Willis/Ryans combo. I know it's just a delusion, but c'mon you gotta agree that would be freaking awesome. Sorry, nothing much to say about this group as it's already set.

DL, man this is where it get's juicy, you got three guys that are totally worth the 10th pick and obviously there's no guarantee they'll all be there, but Anderson, Okoye (Tommie Harris type impact anybody?), and Carriker. While I was against DL at the beginning of the off-season, the impact these guys could have is undeniable. I would love to see any of these guys in Battle Red!! Plus, with only Mario and Weaver really being anchors on our D-line bringing in more talent is a must. Sorry, but Okoye just makes the most sense to me out of the three we really have no inside presence.

Secondary, Landry. Nuff said. Unless he's gone than Nelson, I don't think he's a reach if Landry is gone, but we gotta see how it all plays out.

Thoughts? Comments?
RB is a need for the Texans, as Green is falling apart. Also, the Texans need a left tackle. They keep trying to pick guys late day 1 and they keep paying the price for it.
MP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:57 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
I am a cowboy fan, but I try to cheer for the Texans because they are in-state. They make it hard for me, though. I don't understand most of their off season moves (not just this year).

Having said that, I must say I understand why they took Mario last year. Hindsight is 20/20 now, but a the time, yall needed everything but a running back, wide receiver and a returner (IMO).

So if I was to give an opinion on what I would do this year, I would trade down. I don't see anyone at number 10 that would make a big difference.

Staying at #10, I would surely go d-line. The way I see it, yall have three players with massive potential (Mario, Johnson and Robinson). Out of those three, Mario has the most potential IMO. I say you give him every ounce of help you can. I think the rest of the league laughs when Mario is brought up in conversation, but I think he could make them eat crow with a supporting cast up front.

A second point to take d-line. A dominate dt would probably command more blockers, making Ryans more incredible (if that is possible).

However, I would trade down. I would take a dt in the second, and a corner and maybe Quenton Mosses in the third. Second day, I would take ol or wr. I think you could still find a starter there that late.

Yall watch more Texan football than I do, so this may be horrible advice. But thats what I am thinking.
I really hope you are talking about Andre, because Travis Johnson is trash, he is awful.

We don't have our second round pick after getting Schaub from Atlanta, so in order to get one we would have to trade down further than I would feel comfortable with.

I would be fine with going D-line in the first, we have been discussing Amobi Okoye lately.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:47 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes, I was talking about Andre Johnson. He is a freakin stud!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And I don't know what to think about Travis Johnson. I thought he would flourish with Mario this year, but I guess you are right.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:16 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Is there a smiley that cries, because that's how I feel everytime I'm going to have to remind someone that we have no second rd. pick.

All your points are duly noted. However Okoye could be there at ten and he fits the description you put up perfectly.

About the third, I think we could find a good safety there, the reason I say that is there will likely be a rush on CB's in the second and whatever is left won't be as good a value as a safety.

Your opinions are your opinions nothing wrong with voicing them. Matter of fact that's encouraged, keep posting.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:19 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, I was talking about Andre Johnson. He is a freakin stud!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And I don't know what to think about Travis Johnson. I thought he would flourish with Mario this year, but I guess you are right.
Well, the guy was injured most of the yr. So he might have flourished. However gaging from his performance pre-injury it didn't look like it. I hate to say it, but it looks like TJ might be our first flat out bust. (Carr is still up in the air because of all the circumstances, but umm... really lets not get into that as he's no longer on the team.)
Old 03-30-2007, 08:26 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP123 View Post
RB is a need for the Texans, as Green is falling apart. Also, the Texans need a left tackle. They keep trying to pick guys late day 1 and they keep paying the price for it.
What? How is Green falling apart, he had a thousand yd. season last yr. That's with a few missed games (more than anything we could say about our backs last yr.) Also, I think our line is getting more cohesive and performed better than anything we've had before. I've stated my thoughts on Brown already so unless we trade down and pick up extra picks I don't see us taking a LT in the first.

Paying the price to freak things, I mean Boselli and his injuries? Who would have predicted that? Dude passed the physicals and everything to come here and then never played a down. Then Spencer this yr. getting broke up by Dayne, (don't care what anybody says, I still don't like Dayne because of that.) that was a freak accident. Even if we were to take an LT this yr. what's to say he wouldn't suffer some freak injury. Knock on wood, but be realistic LT's aren't our biggest need right now.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:06 PM    (permalink
ChefMike
Veteran

ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.

Don't sleep...Peterson will be there... and the Texans would be stupid to pass on him... he is going to be a stud..and having Ahman Green in front of him and sharing the load his first year will give him the ability to learn not to try and run everyone over and utiliz his speed to get around them...
ChefMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:20 PM    (permalink
pswizz

I think we need to trade down in the first round with a team like Denver or Green Bay and get there second rounder as well. If we trade down we could take the best available player between a couple different positions, I wouldn't mind seeing a wr, or possibly if we have a later pick I wouldn't mind seeing a guy like Joe Staley out of Central Michigan. I think he will be good. I also think we should do everything we can to get our hands on Merriwether out of Miami, he is and will be a stud in the pros, with the ability to play any position in the defensive backfield. Going into next years draft we also need to do whatever we can to get Darren McFadden, that would shut people up about not taking Bush.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:07 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm all for us trading down, I don't particularly like us picking Levi Brown we need to get a bunch of picks in the mid rounds.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:01 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

Just to clarify, I know you guys dont have a 2nd round pick. I was saying I thought yall should trade down and use the 2nd pick you get after you trade down.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:11 PM    (permalink
Gchu83
Rookie

Gchu83 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Gchu83 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would like to trade down and pick up picks, but here's my guys in order should they be available.

1. Laron Landry- Bigtime prospect who fills a big need.
2. Amobi Okoye- I really like this kid, adding him next to Mario could be big for this team.
3. Levi Brown- Not real big on this guy but he fills a need.
Gchu83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:14 PM    (permalink
pswizz

I would love to see Laron Landry fall to #10 but I just don't see that happening. Okoye would be a good pick as well, although I think that we could get a suitable DT in the 2nd, in order for that to happen we would need to obviously attain a 2nd rounder. my top picks for us at 10
1.Landry(if he falls)
2.Okoye
3.Peterson
I just don't like Levi Brown at #10, I feel like it would be another Mario Williams pick where everyone wonders why we didn't trade down and take him later where he would for sure be.
If we trade down I like these picks (depending on how far we trade down)
1.Robert Meachem
2.Joe Staley
3.Brandon Merriwether
Old 04-14-2007, 08:16 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guys, what do you think about swapping down with denver? there has been talk of you guys ditching #10, and denver wants up for Joe Staley, or Levi Brown, heell now that wilson's gone, pat willis
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:38 PM    (permalink
pswizz

I would love for that to happen! But would they trade up if they want Staley? I don't think he will be gone by #21, unless he is just skying up draft boards, I think he will be around at 21
Old 04-14-2007, 04:56 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

Trade down with Denver, I wouldn't be against it. We might be in position to take Nelson and they could take Willis, who IMO would be worth trading up for.

If we stayed in the top ten these are the guys I would want. In order.

1. Okoye- Beast, fits our scheme, affects every play, I mean how can you not want this guy. Also, has the best chance of still being around as he doesn't fit all schemes. (Fingers crossed.)

2. Landry- Solid tackler, solid leader, great against pass and run. May be gone by our pick seeing as how alot of other teams need help in their secondaries.

3a. Pat Willis- Do we need him, no, but putting this guy next to Demeco just sounds too damn good to pass on.
3b. Jamaal Anderson- Imagine Reggie White (Super Mario) and Julius Peppers (Anderson) anchoring our D-line. Are you drooling over that thought? I know I am.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:58 AM    (permalink
iKNOW

landry would be nice but i dont think he falls. if peterson falls they may take him since he is local and they dont need another VY situation.

more likely is taking brown as the OL just bites and has since inception. branch/okoye is a possibility since the interior DL is pathetic. i personally like branch since he is more proven.

then in the 2nd they can address OL or DL (whichever was not in the first) or safety. oh wait, they traded that away (and next year's) and moved down in the first for a backup QB. good way to rebuild the team. are we sure casserly is no longer running the show?
Old 04-24-2007, 08:44 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you think about Alan Branch. If he is there at 10, do you think that you would take him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Nightmares Win 6-0
Rookie

Nightmares Win 6-0 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills2083 View Post
What do you think about Alan Branch. If he is there at 10, do you think that you would take him?
maybe, but i hope not...

he screams underachiever to me...

i don't want to use a 1st on a dl for the 4th year in a row either...
Nightmares Win 6-0 is offline   Reply With Quote