Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 04-27-2012, 08:34 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I don't really care whom they take if they get Sanu.
I don't care who they take as long as they don't.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:35 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm going to just move on. There's really no point in analyzing the pick. BB obviously saw something that nobody else in the world saw. Nothing we can do about it. Move on to the next pick and maybe in camp this kid will somehow surprise everyone. If not, then you throw him in the pile with all the others that played DB for the Pats last year.

1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

2 Anyone but McClellin, Wolfe, Doug Martin or an OT

3 Anyone but Wolfe

TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:37 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNPatsFan View Post
I'm going to just move on. There's really no point in analyzing the pick. BB obviously saw something that nobody else in the world saw. Nothing we can do about it. Move on to the next pick and maybe in camp this kid will somehow surprise everyone. If not, then you throw him in the pile with all the others that played DB for the Pats last year.
That's basically what you have to do. It's confounding, but at this point you just kind of have to roll with it.

...doesn't mean I'm not going to try to analyze the pick though. Going by the reports, it doesn't sound super promising. Still, I trust my eyeballs above all else and I would be lying if I claimed I've taken an extensive look. The one encouraging thing I've seen so far is that Illinois did very well against the pass as a collective unit last year. Most of that is pass rush, but being a member of a functional pass defense last year is more than we can say about anyone on the team now.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:38 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we can get Boykin, Curry, Brandon Thompson, or one of my WRs (Criner, Childs, Jarius Wright, Marvin Jones, Randle, et al) then I'll be overall happy with the draft and will be able let that last pick slide.

1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

3 Anyone but Wolfe

Old 04-27-2012, 08:41 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Going over reports, it doesn't sound much different or worse than the other safeties in this draft, though. It's a bigh mish-mash of guys that all have serious questions.

Belichick prefers the brand of safety that Tavon Wilson plays. If they had picks left, they probably would have taken him a little later if they think they could. Maybe they even tried to trade down and couldn't?

I'll rarely complain about a team getting the guy they want at a position of need.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:55 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Going over reports, it doesn't sound much different or worse than the other safeties in this draft, though. It's a bigh mish-mash of guys that all have serious questions.

Belichick prefers the brand of safety that Tavon Wilson plays. If they had picks left, they probably would have taken him a little later if they think they could. Maybe they even tried to trade down and couldn't?

I'll rarely complain about a team getting the guy they want at a position of need.
That's a good way to look at it. A couple years from now if he's still on the team and contributing in any way, then none of us will remember that he was a "bad pick". And if he's no longer around by then, well, we'll be talking about other players by then anyway.

3 Anyone but Wolfe

Old 04-27-2012, 08:56 PM    (permalink
Vaylor
Rookie

Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Analysis of the Vollmer pick back in 2009:

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal....html#comments

Interesting.
Vaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:01 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vollmer was a fast riser after workouts and Shrine Game practices, where he was flat out dominant. He was a reach, but not a super reach like this. There was some buzz about scouts liking him more than people realize.

Not saying either way yet because I really don't know a whole lot about Wilson, but I'm just trying to frame it right. Comment sections of the Boston Globe have always been crap anyway.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 04-27-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:04 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Traded out of our pick lol.

Belichick must have strained himself too much with all this trading up. He had to trade down some.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:04 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

But we made damn sure to get Tavon Wilson before doing it.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 04-27-2012, 09:06 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They need to cover the Tebow packages...
Old 04-27-2012, 09:09 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Trade info?

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:09 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

That's a long way to go down for a fifth round pick. After that last one, I was sort of dreading picking anyway, but it's a little disappointing even still. I understand wanting to get another pick though.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 04-27-2012, 09:13 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaylor View Post
Analysis of the Vollmer pick back in 2009:

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal....html#comments

Interesting.
Just expanding further on what I said earlier;

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2009&genpos=OT

DraftScout had moved him all the way up to the 3rd to 4th round range and as a top 10 guy at his positions. People really liked the tools. The hype materialized late....but it was there to an extent.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 04-27-2012, 09:13 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Trade info?
#90 and a 5th
Old 04-27-2012, 09:21 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

That's trading waaaay back. Oh well. I guess BB didn't think there was any value to be had in the third round. In the end most third rounders end up being nothing anyway.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:22 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
#90 and a 5th
That's such bad value. What the hell?

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:22 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Would've liked Randle. Oh well.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:24 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

I never really thought that highly of Randle. I didn't see what most people were seeing with him.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:24 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Knew it wasn't going to happen at this point, but Josh Robinson was my guy in this area. Would have loved to have him.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 04-27-2012, 09:26 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNPatsFan View Post
I never really thought that highly of Randle. I didn't see what most people were seeing with him.
Big, fast receiver. Deep threat on the outside.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:31 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

There are still a lot of good WRs. I hope that Pats can get one.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:33 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

They're getting drafted now on this WR run...
Old 04-27-2012, 09:35 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Yeah, there's actually a whole ton of depth still left. Good bet that we get a decent young player at that spot if we want one. Givens, Criner, Hilton, Jones, and Streeter are all guys I like.

...as well as Jones and Toon. I could be persuaded to go for Jarius Jones or Joe Adams too.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 04-27-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:37 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Oh ****. I forgot about Streeter. That's who I've wanted for them at WR the whole time.