Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 03-29-2007, 08:59 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Insight from NFL.com (about the Lions)...

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10093964

Quote:
Lions' draft slot, top prospects in high demand

PHOENIX -- Owners meetings represent one thing as much as anything else: The curtain has dropped on free agency and risen on the upcoming NFL draft.

Just as draft chatter is about to intensify, so are player visits.

The Detroit Lions have scheduled 30 college prospects to visit their training complex over the next month, including Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson, Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson, Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn and LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

The Lions are scheduled to pick second, though Detroit head coach Rod Marinelli admitted Wednesday that the team has been virtually besieged with offers from other teams interested in drafting No. 2 overall.

It might be unlikely that the Lions, or any other team, would be able to land Russell at No. 2. At this week's owners meetings in Phoenix, Raiders owner Al Davis, who owns the No. 1 overall pick, admitted that Russell's arm strength and side-to-side escapability remind him of John Elway.

Undaunted, other teams still are interested in bringing Russell to their city to see how much they like him.

The Browns have arranged for Russell to visit Cleveland next week, and they would love a chance to draft him. Browns general manager Phil Savage has known Russell since the LSU quarterback was 14 years old, stood 6-foot-4, weighed 185 pounds, and attended his football camp in Mobile, Ala.

Savage recognized then, as he does now, the immense talents that Russell possesses. Other teams now do as well, though.

The Washington Redskins, scheduled to pick No. 6, are planning to bring Russell to their training complex the second week in April.

And other teams also are busy scheduling in visits for the top college prospects.

LSU safety LaRon Landry is scheduled to visit the Atlanta Falcons and Detroit Lions next week. Landry is considered a top 10 pick, and could be the reason the Falcons moved up in the draft from the 10th overall pick to the eighth, leapfrogging the Miami Dolphins at No. 9. Other top 10 teams believe the Falcons are enamored with Landry, the best safety in the draft.
Just what I wanted to hear... offers among offers among offers.

Cant wait for this draft.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:38 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, of course he's going to say they're getting a ton of offers.. it's better than him saying "nobody has offered us anything for the #2 pick"... Maybe they have got a lot of offers, maybe they haven't.. Just trying to put the pressure on other teams to jump the gun, out of fear that another team will beat them to a trade.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:20 PM    (permalink
dreadedluck

It would only make sense that teams talk. I have a really hard time believing Marinelli, he is Millen's yes man. Millen is a liar from the S. Anderson thing to J. Morton to every draft the Lions have been in under Millen's reign. The fact is on draft day we still will not know what is going on, just thought about the B.M.W. scenerio, until we are off the board. And I find it hard to believe we will ever know exactly what actually transpired. First we hate CJ and Quinn then maybe then nothing. It is in the best interest tof the team to keep all options open and not allow your opposition to know what you are thinking. We better be talking to someone, and Millen that means not to yourself.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:22 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadedluck View Post
It would only make sense that teams talk. I have a really hard time believing Marinelli, he is Millen's yes man. Millen is a liar from the S. Anderson thing to J. Morton to every draft the Lions have been in under Millen's reign. The fact is on draft day we still will not know what is going on, just thought about the B.M.W. scenerio, until we are off the board. And I find it hard to believe we will ever know exactly what actually transpired. First we hate CJ and Quinn then maybe then nothing. It is in the best interest tof the team to keep all options open and not allow your opposition to know what you are thinking. We better be talking to someone, and Millen that means not to yourself.
To be exact, I have no friggin' clue what you're trying to say in this post.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:21 AM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
To be exact, I have no friggin' clue what you're trying to say in this post.
HAHA! I wasn't really making sense of it, so I figured I'd just reply to WMDs post.

Here's the thing, WMD. I think there's a difference between "Yeah... everyone talks." to nfl.com doing a front page artice about the volume of trade conversations. We're in a perfect spot in this years draft... and there are some great prospects on the board at that pick. If we liked Quinn the way the Raiders seem to like Russell, the situation would be different... they'd figure that our pick is set and they'd move elsewhere. Millen/Marinelli have also said that they're looking to trade down.

I can't look at everything and say "Yea, well of course he's going to say that...". I believe the article... I think we've gotten a lot of calls about the pick, and I think it's great news.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:48 AM    (permalink
LionSmack
Veteran

LionSmack hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadedluck View Post
I have a really hard time believing Marinelli, he is Millen's yes man.
I couldn't agree less with this. All signs point to Marinelli having a very large amount of input and decision-making power, it might be only because he and Millen see eye-to-eye better than with the last two coaches, but nevertheless, everything from drafting Sims and Bullocks to getting rid of Hall and Bly shows that Marinelli's influence is strong.
LionSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:39 AM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

There was another article on NFL.com that said that the 'Skins has been in talks with the Lions about trading up. We could probably get a bunch from them since they don't have a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th and have said that they WON'T trade next years picks away.
woodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:08 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnick View Post
There was another article on NFL.com that said that the 'Skins has been in talks with the Lions about trading up. We could probably get a bunch from them since they don't have a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th and have said that they WON'T trade next years picks away.
Whahahahahh the redskins not trading away future draft picks is like... James Brown turning up in Hawaii, the A-Team getting hit by a bullet, The raiders going 16-0 next year, world peace, me dating Nathalie Portman, an armless man doing push-ups and Paris Hilton's singing career...

It ain't gonna happen.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 03-30-2007, 12:14 PM    (permalink
LionSmack
Veteran

LionSmack hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
So what could we get a bunch of? Players? What Skins players would we even want? Besides Sean Taylor that is.
LionSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:32 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Lionsmack, my point exactly. And Addict, Joe Gibbs values the draft and has more control over the team with Snyder failing so miserable the last few offseasons.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:00 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Lionsmack, my point exactly. And Addict, Joe Gibbs values the draft and has more control over the team with Snyder failing so miserable the last few offseasons.
You just keep telling yourself that.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 03-30-2007, 01:01 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Whahahahahh the redskins not trading away future draft picks is like... James Brown turning up in Hawaii, the A-Team getting hit by a bullet, The raiders going 16-0 next year, world peace, me dating Nathalie Portman, an armless man doing push-ups and Paris Hilton's singing career...

It ain't gonna happen.
Haha. Paris Hilton. Haha. Stars are blind, Addict...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnick
Interesting. I don't really see another option with them.

Short talks.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:05 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

Well addict, since you're so intwined into the NFL network go on record and tell us what the Skins do in regards to the #6 pick. If you decide to take the easy way out and say trade with the Bears, what will the Bears counter offer to make it a done deal?
Old 03-30-2007, 01:06 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

Tactica, I'm just trying to get my point across that you can't believe everything that you read. Not only are the Teams putting out misguiding info, but so is the media to create a buzz with the fans.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:24 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Tactica, I'm just trying to get my point across that you can't believe everything that you read. Not only are the Teams putting out misguiding info, but so is the media to create a buzz with the fans.
Of course you can't, which is why I don't. But, I can use logic and take the themes that make sense. And, it makes sense that the Lions would want to trade the pick and are receiving trade offers.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Mythos
Rookie

Mythos hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:

I don't believe everything I read unless it's in bold or all CAPS--cues me into the truth.
Snyder and his future picks, my allowance when I was 10--same kinda things seem to happen. What will they do? Adams, Carriker, or CJ@#2 I think are all possible.
Mythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:41 AM    (permalink
reinar
Rookie

reinar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Washington isnt trading up, they dont have the chips to do so.
Bucs, yes possible, and more probable than that.
I see also, the browns and the Dolphins trading up. Arizona is a big chance which is why Detroit has the chance to move down a couple of times.

if and when Oakland takes Russell, the bucs (for CJ), the browns (for quinn), Arizona (thomas) all have a chance to jump up to #2. with that comes a lower 1st rounder, and a 2nd and possibly 3/4th depending on where we fall to.

best for us, swap down to #3 browns, they take quinn, then we trade down to #4 bucs, they get CJ. then we trade down to #5 Cards, they get thomas, we sit at #6 and either take Gaines Adams or trade down again to Dolphins or possibly Falcons, and then we get Willis, pick up 3-6 extra picks, all in the 2-3rd rounds, and have a great time adding depth to CB/S, DE, get stanton as a QB to groom, and possibly another RB/WR to add in the mix.
reinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:42 AM    (permalink
TRJ997
Rookie

TRJ997 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinar View Post
best for us, swap down to #3 browns, they take quinn, then we trade down to #4 bucs, they get CJ. then we trade down to #5 Cards, they get thomas, we sit at #6 and either take Gaines Adams or trade down again to Dolphins or possibly Falcons, and then we get Willis, pick up 3-6 extra picks, all in the 2-3rd rounds, and have a great time adding depth to CB/S, DE, get stanton as a QB to groom, and possibly another RB/WR to add in the mix.
I'll put this in the unlikely pile with the rest of the ain't gonna happen trade scenarios.
TRJ997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:25 AM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

asmitty45 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Washington isnt trading up, they dont have the chips to do so.
Bucs, yes possible, and more probable than that.
I see also, the browns and the Dolphins trading up. Arizona is a big chance which is why Detroit has the chance to move down a couple of times.

if and when Oakland takes Russell, the bucs (for CJ), the browns (for quinn), Arizona (thomas) all have a chance to jump up to #2. with that comes a lower 1st rounder, and a 2nd and possibly 3/4th depending on where we fall to.

Youve been playing madden too much

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21
asmitty45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:47 PM    (permalink
reinar
Rookie

reinar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

playing madden, frell man, madden draft picks are worthless.

but as for detroit trading, everyone is saying they want to trade at least 2 times, once the sooner the better, then again later. and if they can, they will trade down again.

Marinellis all about getting holes plugged.
reinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:04 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:

but as for detroit trading, everyone is saying they want to trade at least 2 times, once the sooner the better, then again later. and if they can, they will trade down again.

First of all: madden draft picks rock. If you do it right, even the Lions depth chart can be filled with 99 overall guys by year 3 (al you need to do is screw teams over real hard by trading for their 1st and 2nd round picks, use high-profile free agents wisely)

Second of all: QFT, lions should trade down.

Third and last of all: I think Marinelli for now is all about creating some land so that next year he can SEE the holes, right now there's so many holes it looks more like a weird narrow path (it's a metaphore ppl, I don't do drugs)

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 04-06-2007, 09:07 AM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:

It depends what Madden you play. Madden for XBox 360... those are pointless. Madden for PSP (and other versions of the same game)... those are oustanding. Some 1st rounders are 85-88... most are at least 82-83. Most 2nd rounders are 78-82.

Anyway.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:10 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticaLion View Post
It depends what Madden you play. Madden for XBox 360... those are pointless. Madden for PSP (and other versions of the same game)... those are oustanding. Some 1st rounders are 85-88... most are at least 82-83. Most 2nd rounders are 78-82.

Anyway.
Doesn't even really matter, once a team starts to roll, all rooks and backups get their AWR boosted into the 90s, which adds roughly 5 to 10 points to a rookies overall (IF you pick guys based on athletic skills)

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 04-06-2007, 09:12 AM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Doesn't even really matter, once a team starts to roll, all rooks and backups get their AWR boosted into the 90s, which adds roughly 5 to 10 points to a rookies overall (IF you pick guys based on athletic skills)
I pick my players based on their vertical. Honestly.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticaLion View Post
I pick my players based on their vertical. Honestly.
Why? they never jump any higher than... 41'' anyways, and you can train jumping ability. (for most positions anyways)

Makes for a funny conversation though...

'dude, you offensive line totally bites!'
- 'I know'
'why don't you draft better players'
- 'can't'
'how's that'
- 'they're as good as it gets'
'they can't pass protect, they can't run block... what exactly do they do well'
- 'for you information, my guards can jump 40 inches, my tackles 39 and my center jumps 41 inches easily'

brilliant.

I draft on 40 times and (in case of O-line and OLB when I need DE) bench reps. Works like a charm.

Oh by the way. My Calvin Johnson (95 speed, 99 everything of importance) has caught 100+ passes and 2000+ yards and 25+ touchdowns for five straight years now.

Mu-hahahahahahaha. He gets burned by my running back though. He has 98 speed.

My worst corner is a 26-year old 3rd round draft pick with 96 speed and 91 overall (I have six cornerbacks :D)

I'm done bragging now.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC