Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 12-30-2013, 01:27 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As of now I'll just hope for Clowney, Watkins, Barr, Gilbert, or Dennard.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:44 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We are picking 10th in the draft and IMO, our weaknesses are on the OL are too great to ignore. Minny shredded our OL on Sunday and we had better protect Stafford better or we aren't going to improve a whole lot.

Obviously OC is a strong need that cannot wait till round 3 and must be addressed no latter than round 2. It is also my opinion that RT also needs to improve.
It is great to talk about WR's which I agree could be improved but Stafford protection has to come first ahead of every other priority.

Obviously, round one may not have an OLman worth drafting at #10 but if it does I want him on the Lions.

If Schwartz isn't fired, it won't mean much anyways, we be back drafting in the top 10 next year. If he is fired(with Ford you can only pray), then I would prefer a defensive minded HC because I think we have the talent on defense to be a top defensive team. Hopefully we also get rid of both our co-ordinators. Throwing the ball 700+ times a year is a useless offense in the NFC north where you play outdoors in cold weather and must run the ball to succeed. The NE game showed how worthless a strictly passing attack can be in bad weather.

My draft priorities in order are: OC, CB, RT, WR

Another WR is just a luxury pick but won't help the Lions if Stafford gets injured and if we cannot protect him better, he won't have the time to utilize another WR anyways.

Last edited by Iamcanadian : 12-30-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Iamcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:06 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

at 10 I am firmly on the WR bus. This offense is made out to be so good but let's be real, outside of Calvin this offense is miserable. Simply look at the 2 games we played without him vs GB and Minn. 9 points and 13 points. No good offense can be so reliant on the production of one player.

The offense has talent but is top heavy. Defense can fade towards calvin and dare us to trust our WR on the other end which we signed off the street. We need more than 1 pass receiver that posses a threat and we have failed at adding that to the offense.

So my choice A is Sammy Watkins without a doubt.

Other options that intrigue me outside of a WR/TE are:

C.J. Mosley- Everydown LB who can slide to MLB in a tear or 2 when Tulloch departs. Would give us a very solid LB corps and really solidify our front 7.

Lewan- Can never complain about an OT although I do believe drafting an OT would nelgect the steals Mayhew got in Waddle and Warford. Who would sit? (assuming it'd be Waddle). Mayhew's philosophy appears to be the same as Denver, where Oline isn't that important when you can force the defense to play back in pass coverage. I think adding a dynamic WR would help out the oline more because Watkins and Calvin will force both safeties to play deep.

Khalil Mack- Really intrigues me but Schwartz doesn't blitz LBs and that is his biggest strength. He is only worth the pick if we change our Defensive philosophy.

I don't see a CB that is worth the pick at #10.

A trade down intrigues me the most and is obviously the ideal scenario. I'd be more than happy picking in the teens and gaining a 2nd rounder. There are still plenty of WRs that will be available, Ebron could be there, and that's a better range for the CBs in this draft.

OC is a pick for the 2nd or 3rd. Honestly I think Raiola plays another year (he mentioned that "he has plenty left in the tank") and if he wants to we should absolutly bring him back. He did grad eout as the best center in the league by PFF this year. I honestly think we should let this Oline stay intact this offseason and add to the talent on the outsides.

My ideal scenario right now is:
1. Watkins-WR
2. Roby-CB
3. Swanson-OC

This draft needs to viewed as what makes us better right now. Watkins and Roby make us a better team.

Our offense can run and get the ball to Calvin. Add a dynamic threat who can take the top off the offense and be a legitimate 2nd threat to the best WR in the game. Watkins fits this perfectly and changes the look of our offense significantly.

Our defense is great against the run, great Dline, solid veteran safety duo but has yet to prove we can cover anyone. Add Roby to Houston, Slay, Bentley and that's a very competent CB corps. I think Slay comes back next year very improved (rookie CBs always take a bit to develop) and Roby can push him for time while competing for the nickel role with Bentley. This also could allow us to eventually have a starting CB duo of Slay and Roby in a year or 2 and get out of the later part of Houstons contract.

Swanson is a pick that allows us to have our future center on the team. I still vote we bring back Raiola and let Swanson learn while providing the Oline with some depth in case of injuury.

Last edited by detroit4life : 12-30-2013 at 09:18 AM.
detroit4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:18 AM    (permalink
Matty B
Rookie

Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matty B is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

here's my premature 7 rounder. Hoping we trade down in the second and pick up an extra third.

1. Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
2. Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State (trade down and pick up an extra third)
3a. Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconson
3b. Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State
4. Ty Zimmerman, S, Kansas State
6. Max Bullough, ILB, Michigan State
7. Cairo Santos, K, Tulane
Matty B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:36 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post

Another WR is just a luxury pick but won't help the Lions if Stafford gets injured and if we cannot protect him better, he won't have the time to utilize another WR anyways.
One could argue that we are in a position to make a luxury pick. You look at our needs and honestly WR is hands down the biggest.

At CB we have young guys in Slay and Bentley that we trying to develop. There also appears to be no legit top end CB in this draft that warrants a top 10 pick. I think there is plenty of talent in round 2 to find a guy to add to our already young CB corps.

Our Oline started 2 rookies on the right side, a brand new LT in his 2nd year in the league and we were 2nd to last in sacks allowed only to Denver. Mayhew did a wonderful job last year in the draft fixing up our Oline with low picks (and undrafted rookies). One could argue this has been his greatest accomplishment as our GM. I don't think we neglect that and use a high pick on another Oline. We should expect this line to only get better as 3/5 starters are coming off their first full year in terms of games played.

In terms of talent weaknesses, we don't have many. That's the biggest reason why Schwartz should be fired because this team is way too talented to be picking at #10. But we do drop WAY too many passes, Broyles has been a faulire, and Burleson is not worthy of a #2 WR. Durham and Ogletree are nfl journey men and should never have even a 3 next to their name on a depth chart. We have failed to add a threat across from Calvin and it holds back our offense from ever reaching it's potential. This includes Stafford. His best year was when we had Titus as a deep threat and Burleson playing all 16 games. 3 viable targets.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:34 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
One could argue that we are in a position to make a luxury pick. You look at our needs and honestly WR is hands down the biggest.

At CB we have young guys in Slay and Bentley that we trying to develop. There also appears to be no legit top end CB in this draft that warrants a top 10 pick. I think there is plenty of talent in round 2 to find a guy to add to our already young CB corps.

Our Oline started 2 rookies on the right side, a brand new LT in his 2nd year in the league and we were 2nd to last in sacks allowed only to Denver. Mayhew did a wonderful job last year in the draft fixing up our Oline with low picks (and undrafted rookies). One could argue this has been his greatest accomplishment as our GM. I don't think we neglect that and use a high pick on another Oline. We should expect this line to only get better as 3/5 starters are coming off their first full year in terms of games played.

In terms of talent weaknesses, we don't have many. That's the biggest reason why Schwartz should be fired because this team is way too talented to be picking at #10. But we do drop WAY too many passes, Broyles has been a faulire, and Burleson is not worthy of a #2 WR. Durham and Ogletree are nfl journey men and should never have even a 3 next to their name on a depth chart. We have failed to add a threat across from Calvin and it holds back our offense from ever reaching it's potential. This includes Stafford. His best year was when we had Titus as a deep threat and Burleson playing all 16 games. 3 viable targets.
Did you watch Sunday's game?? Minny's DL eat our OL for dinner. Yes, we were inexperienced at the start of the season but by game 16, that is no longer an excuse for their performance.

Tell me again, what use another WR will be if Stafford gets hurt, it may look tempting on paper to draft a WR at #10 but if Stafford gets hurt, it won't help us one bit. QB's like Stafford, if they have time to throw the ball can make even average WR's look good, but if they are getting sacked or pressured too much, they will have problems finding receivers no matter how good they are and worse yet, they will always face the risk of injury. Look how many QB's got injured this year.

I really haven't a clue at this point who will be available at #10, I need the post season to get a better idea of who stands out at the Senior Bowl, Combine and pro days. If say a Lewan was available, I'd take him over a WR, but if nothing is there worth taking on the OL, then maybe a WR could be looked at. I'm not against drafting a WR, I just don't think it is the top priority for the Lions. For me, when you have a franchise QB, your top priority is protecting him at all costs. Fortunately, I firmly believe that the strengths of this draft are CB's, OL and WR, so we are in an excellent position to improve areas of need no matter what order we choose to draft them.

Of course, I'm really hoping for a new HC ASAP and he may have a say in how our draft proceeds. Getting the #10 pick may turnout to be a huge boost for this team with a new HC at the helm.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:48 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Did you watch Sunday's game?? Minny's DL eat our OL for dinner. Yes, we were inexperienced at the start of the season but by game 16, that is no longer an excuse for their performance.

Tell me again, what use another WR will be if Stafford gets hurt, it may look tempting on paper to draft a WR at #10 but if Stafford gets hurt, it won't help us one bit. QB's like Stafford, if they have time to throw the ball can make even average WR's look good, but if they are getting sacked or pressured too much, they will have problems finding receivers no matter how good they are and worse yet, they will always face the risk of injury. Look how many QB's got injured this year.

I really haven't a clue at this point who will be available at #10, I need the post season to get a better idea of who stands out at the Senior Bowl, Combine and pro days. If say a Lewan was available, I'd take him over a WR, but if nothing is there worth taking on the OL, then maybe a WR could be looked at. I'm not against drafting a WR, I just don't think it is the top priority for the Lions. For me, when you have a franchise QB, your top priority is protecting him at all costs. Fortunately, I firmly believe that the strengths of this draft are CB's, OL and WR, so we are in an excellent position to improve areas of need no matter what order we choose to draft them.

Of course, I'm really hoping for a new HC ASAP and he may have a say in how our draft proceeds. Getting the #10 pick may turnout to be a huge boost for this team with a new HC at the helm.
I agree, but this past game isn't a fair example because Minnesota was able to dial up the pressure because we had zero threats on the outside. We were lining up Ogletree, Durham and Burleson as our WRs... pressuring the QB was easy for them.

Fact is when Calvin is playing teams don't blitz us, just like Denver. The threats on the outside forces the defense in coverage. We allowed 3 of our 23 sacks allowed all year in that game. But i'll take our Oline's entire body of work for the season over 1 game with our only playmaker sitting on the sideline.

If you look at analytical grades and ranks for the NFL our Oline was 2nd in pass protection and 12th in run offense. And like I pointed out, this was with 3/5 of the line playing their first year. Why is there a sense of urgency to draft a OT at #10?
Old 12-30-2013, 12:18 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

I just think protecting Stafford is important. As I said, I'm not opposed to drafting A WR with the #10 pick if something special on the OL isn't available when we pick. WR is a real deep position in this year's draft, so a 2nd round pick of one is still an option. No doubt, Mayhew will follow his board on draft day no matter what I feel.

Anyways, Shwartz has been fired so I'm too happy for words.

Last edited by Iamcanadian : 12-30-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Iamcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:24 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I just think protecting Stafford is important. As I said, I'm not opposed to drafting A WR with the #10 pick if something special on the OL isn't available when we pick. WR is a real deep position in this year's draft, so a 2nd round pick of one is still an option. No doubt, Mayhew will follow his board on draft day no matter what I feel.

Anyways, Shwartz has been fired so I'm too happy for words.
Agree WR is deep and we certainly can find a #2 WR in the second.

Trading down would be big for us. Hopefully a QB falls and someone needs to move up.

If a guy like Barr fell I also don't think there'd be any hesition to take him. I think ultimately we will take BPA. But I would be surprised to see us take a lineman on either side of the ball at 10.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:29 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Well, with Schwartz gone, I'm really looking forward to next season and the draft. Any decent HC will take this team to the playoffs and it is now Mayhew's job to find the right guy.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:59 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Basing our needs off of a meaningless Week 16 game isn't the best way to go about things.. Really our biggest needs aside from CB are positions we're better off waiting later for value.

I'd say WR/CB should be the pick at #10... Positions we just can't seem to draft right. Hopefully Stafford can get his **** together, we should be able to do some big things next year.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:15 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Also, this will be our first year using Brian Xanders' scouting system. Hopefully that can get us some sexy steals like Waddle and Fauria.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:03 PM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think mike Evans makes alot of sense and would be a good fit and fill a need
Old 12-30-2013, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We had a top 10 O-Line in the NFL last year, and four of them will be returning, but yeah let's draft someone tenth overall to take over at a position of strength.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:36 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan View Post
I think mike Evans makes alot of sense and would be a good fit and fill a need
interested to see how he tests out. I like him but ideally we can find someone who can take the top off the offense and I don't think Evans has that kind of speed.

Ideally to me Watkins is available. If he isn't I'd prefer to trade down because I think Ebron, Evans, Lee and other WRs will last until the late teens/early 20s.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:01 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not saying I want it to happen as fans always want to trade down, but what about trading up? Since it doesnt look like the lions have a major must fill top 10 need. What about giviing up like say a 2nd round pick to move up from like 10 to 5 to grab a elite player?
Old 12-31-2013, 10:42 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I was thinking that too, just because we're picking high and hopefully/maybe/probably won't be in the Top 20 for the next few years.. Go all in on one guy to put us "over the top" while we're so high. I don't think there's anyone worth trading up for aside from Watkins though.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:45 AM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Vikings had 5 sacks. 1 on Hilliard as the 6th tackle, 1 on Bell and 2 were on stafford. 1 not charged to Oline. Other than that 1 QB hit and only 4 hurries. Warford, Raiola and Sims had clean slates and Reiff gave up 2 hurries. Fox 1 hurry.

The run blocking sucked but no Pettigrew and Waddle against Vikings. Fox sucks at run blocking. I think they roll with Reiff and Waddle at tackle again. The interior is in good shape if Raiola plays for the min again. If not they need a center unless they think Leroy Harris/Rodney Austin can play center. No center at pick 10 though.

WR 2 is the biggest need. It was this year. Durham sucks and Burleson does make some plays but is a number 3 now. Lions need someone to stretch the field. It sucks we used picks on Young and Broyles who went insane and is constantly injured. But WR is a huge need again. Waddle and Reiff did a good job.
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:37 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
I was thinking that too, just because we're picking high and hopefully/maybe/probably won't be in the Top 20 for the next few years.. Go all in on one guy to put us "over the top" while we're so high. I don't think there's anyone worth trading up for aside from Watkins though.
I mean I would trade up for Clowney if we only had to give up our second. Sure it's not a need at all, but oh my lord think about the havoc our Dline would cause.

I wouldn't trade up for Watkins and honestly I would trade down before I traded up for a WR. There's a lot of depth with WR and if we can get one of the top 3 (Watkins, Lee, Evans) while adding a 2nd round pick I'd jump at the chance. Wouldn't mind us moving back into the 1st though to get a player we covet such as Ebron or one of the top CBs.

My issue with trading up for Watkins is that him and Lee are pretty similar players. Lee dealt with some minor injuries and stuff along weith the turmoil at USC and because of that he has slid, but they both add the same dynamic to the offense. I don't think we need to sacrifice our 2nd rounder to pick him up. We may not have many needs, but we still need to be very cautious of our cap room, and drafting cheaper replacements to veterans is the best way to do that.

DT is also a position I would keep an eye on at some point. I think it's pretty clear that one of Suh or Fairley will walk in FA soon enough (hopefully Fairley) because we cannot afford both of them. Having a replacement on the team already will make that transition easier.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:56 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan View Post
I'm not saying I want it to happen as fans always want to trade down, but what about trading up? Since it doesnt look like the lions have a major must fill top 10 need. What about giviing up like say a 2nd round pick to move up from like 10 to 5 to grab a elite player?
I'm ok with a trade either up or down. Shoot, if next year's first got us Clowney, I"m not sure I'd say no to that. I'd definitely offer a 2nd or 3rd if we fell in love with Watkins.

In a trade down, I'd love to move around the board and find a way to get something like Amaro/Ebron and Lee/Benjamin

I also hope we explore dealing Fairley this offseason. Make sure you get value though, as he'd bring a 3rd round comp pick most likely. I'd want a 2nd this year and a 3rd next or a late first. Something close to that value.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
interested to see how he tests out. I like him but ideally we can find someone who can take the top off the offense and I don't think Evans has that kind of speed.

Ideally to me Watkins is available. If he isn't I'd prefer to trade down because I think Ebron, Evans, Lee and other WRs will last until the late teens/early 20s.
I still think he takes the top off a defense without elite speed. Think Vincent Jackson or Alshon Jeffery. He gets downfield and catches jump balls very well. When you can't give safety help against a guy like that(due to Calvin in this case), it makes it very difficult to defend him.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:46 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
I'm ok with a trade either up or down. Shoot, if next year's first got us Clowney, I"m not sure I'd say no to that. I'd definitely offer a 2nd or 3rd if we fell in love with Watkins.

In a trade down, I'd love to move around the board and find a way to get something like Amaro/Ebron and Lee/Benjamin

I also hope we explore dealing Fairley this offseason. Make sure you get value though, as he'd bring a 3rd round comp pick most likely. I'd want a 2nd this year and a 3rd next or a late first. Something close to that value.
I really doubt we trade Fairley, we have the makings of a great defense, why would you want to break it up?

I'm not sure Mayhew would trade up, he seems to like to have picks, but I wouldn't mind trading up if we could get a key element for our team but I'm not sure anybody past the top 4 plus a few extra QB's are rated that highly and to move up into the top 4 would cost minimally a 2014 and 2015 1st rounder and maybe 2 2nd rounders. That's too steep for me.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:03 AM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They have a decision to make on Fairley this offseason. There is a 5th year team option for him.

"Under the new rookie wage system, Fairley's deal gives the Lions a fifth-year option. If they exercise the option (has to be after the third year of the deal), Fairley will return for a fifth year with a salary that is based on the average of the deals for the No. 3 through No. 25 players at defensive tackle."

http://detroit.sbnation.com/detroit-...irley-contract

So we have Fairley in 2014 and 2015 if we want him.
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:07 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe This Year Mayhew View Post
They have a decision to make on Fairley this offseason. There is a 5th year team option for him.

"Under the new rookie wage system, Fairley's deal gives the Lions a fifth-year option. If they exercise the option (has to be after the third year of the deal), Fairley will return for a fifth year with a salary that is based on the average of the deals for the No. 3 through No. 25 players at defensive tackle."

http://detroit.sbnation.com/detroit-...irley-contract

So we have Fairley in 2014 and 2015 if we want him.
If we can get value for him we trade him. But most likely we keep him this year and maybe look to move him next year.

I n terms of trading up, I'd rather see Mayhew move up into the late first from our 2nd round pick than move up into the top 5 or 6. There is going to be plenty of starting talent at the end of the 1st, especially at CB and WR, and it would cost less than moving up into the top 5.

For exapmle if come draft day Darqueeze Denard or Brandon Gilbert prove to be worthy of a top 10 pick, I'd be fine grabbing them and then moving back up for Lee, Evans, or even Ebron if one of them fell into the 20s.

2 of those guys would make this team significantly better if you ask me.

Last edited by detroit4life : 01-02-2014 at 09:16 AM.
detroit4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:09 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
http://first-pick.com/NFL/DraftGame.aspx

interesting little game on the main pro football thread

Your score is: 3875 (Drafting Ability: A-, Player Quality B, Future Draft Picks: N/A)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 21: Marqise Lee, WR, Southern California (B)
Round 2 Pick 21: Hroniss Grasu, C, Oregon (B)
Round 3 Pick 21: Craig Loston, SS, LSU (A)
Round 4 Pick 23 (G.B.): Telvin Smith, OLB, Florida State (A)
Round 5 Pick 23 (G.B.): Kenny Ladler, FS, Vanderbilt (A)
Round 6 Pick 21: Christian Kirksey, OLB, Iowa (A)
Round 7 Pick 21: Dexter McDougle, CB, Maryland (A)
I've been playing this game quite frequently. So unrealistic but some of the scenario's I pull off certainly makes me dream of the possibilities.