Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 03-05-2014, 09:48 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Thought I'd post Danial Jeremiah's latest top 50.

http://www.nfl.com/draft365/rankings

Let's hope those QB's get pushed up or we might not be as lucky as we hope.
I like the big board but I don't think that's indicative of where people get taken. I have little doubt that atleast 3 QBs go in the top 9.

After GIlbert's combine I am no longer concerned about getting lucky, I'd love to strike gold and have Mack or Watkins sitting there, but if our consolation prize is the top CB in the draft I will not be upset.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
I like the big board but I don't think that's indicative of where people get taken. I have little doubt that atleast 3 QBs go in the top 9.

After GIlbert's combine I am no longer concerned about getting lucky, I'd love to strike gold and have Mack or Watkins sitting there, but if our consolation prize is the top CB in the draft I will not be upset.
I agree about the QB's although one of them might just fall, it is possible just not likely. I too, will be quite happy if Gilbert gets to us and we pick him. I don't think any HC or DC can have a legitimate excuse if our defense isn't one of the top ones in the league. Now if Stafford can only regain his early form and we get a stud WR with our second pick, we should be a force to be reckoned with provided injuries don't dismantle us.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:21 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredder View Post
This draft is good because of the depth in it, not necessarily the top end talent. If anything it should be easier to move up this year as teams will put a higher value on an extra 4th round pick, which could still yield a very solid prospect.
I've heard Mayock say over and over, that the 1st 20 picks in this year's draft would all have competed for a top 5 pick in last year's draft, so I think you are mistaken when you say that the top end talent isn't superb. looks absolutely sensational to me as well as a very deep draft overall.

I agree that teams will love picking up extra picks in this great draft, but I see a draft where, because of the talent, the teams giving up picks will be very reluctant to do so. Where normally, you might offer say a 3rd rounder to move up one or a couple of spots, teams will only offer a 4th, since a 4th in this deep draft is like a 3rd in most draft years.

I think that could really stall trading because teams will think that giving up a 4th is like giving up a real potential starter and thus will want to hold on to every pick they have.

Teams drafting in the top 20 will also realize that they are going to get a top 5 talent if they stay put, so the need to trade up gets a lot more diminished.

Finally, I'd say any team that doesn't come out of this draft with at least 3 very solid starters is going to have trouble competing for the next 5 or 6 years, even the 4th round pick will have serious starter ability. Teams that draft well, will be in heaven as it will be a draft where we all look back and say, if only.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:59 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good post IAC. This draft will be key for setting up your franchise.

The top end talent is definitely fantastic(though I find top 20 to be a bit extreme as top 5 options, it ain't far off). Maybe he was referring to the QBs though, which are a bit weak.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:49 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't mean to imply that I thought the top end of this draft was lacking talent. I was just saying that the defining quality of this draft is its depth and not a large number of rare prospects. To me Clowney is the only rare talent in this draft, maybe somebody else would argue Greg Robinson. There's no Andrew Luck at QB, there's no 1st round RB, Watkins isn't at the same level as AJ Green/Julio Jones IMO, Mack isn't at the same level as Von Miller, and Gilbert isn't quite the rare prospect that Patrick Peterson was. We've seen drafts with this kind of talent in the top 5-10 players but we've arguably never seen a draft with this much talent in the top 100.
fredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see what you mean. That's reasonable. I'd add that Mack might well be in Miller's class and Matthews belongs on that list. He's a better prospect than any OT last year and 3 went in the top 5. He has a lot of Joe Thomas in him.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:14 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The case for drafting Sammie Watkins:
The Lions are interested in Watkins.
Would make this offense almost unstoppable.
It would mean giving up a bunch in a loaded draft...
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:44 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel View Post
The case for drafting Sammie Watkins:
The Lions are interested in Watkins.
Would make this offense almost unstoppable.
It would mean giving up a bunch in a loaded draft...
There's no doubt about where'd he take our offense. But in this draft you simply cannot give up your second round pick to make the move. Not when it's for a WR and you already have the best WR in the game on your roster. It's a luxury we cannot afford.

And the fact still remains that the offense will go as far as Stafford takes them. You can have those 2 WRs, but it's Stafford's improvement that essentially determines our fate. I don't think you double down on that to get a WR2
Old 03-07-2014, 10:24 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

No way do you move up.

Completely disagree on the Stafford comments though D4L
Old 03-07-2014, 10:38 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
No way do you move up.

Completely disagree on the Stafford comments though D4L
In what sense? If stafford continues to throw interceptions and make bad mistakes I don't care what WRs you have, we will never live up to our talent. The texans had Andre Johnson, Hopkins, a solid oline and 2 great RBs and they have the first pick in the draft due to terrible QB play. If Stafford doesn't improve this offense will not be "unstoppable" no matter who else we have as receiving threats.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:55 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Quote:
In what sense? If stafford continues to throw interceptions and make bad mistakes I don't care what WRs you have, we will never live up to our talent. The texans had Andre Johnson, Hopkins, a solid oline and 2 great RBs and they have the first pick in the draft due to terrible QB play. If Stafford doesn't improve this offense will not be "unstoppable" no matter who else we have as receiving threats.
Difference in opinion here I suppose. I believe the lack of WRs is one of the biggest reasons for Stafford's "inefficiency". When you look at his numbers broken down by who he's throwing to, its pretty astounding. Durham and Pettigrew are two of the most inefficient players in the NFL and Bush being so mistake prone was killer. I think if Stafford plays the exact same as last year, with Moore and someone like Moncrief at WR, we win 10 games easy.

His INT% is actually quite reasonable too. It rose a little high in 2013, to 3%, but it was 2.4 and 2.3 in the previous two years. For reference, Brees and P.Manning have career INT%s of 2.6.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:19 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like Sammie Watkins and Khalil Mack. If they are both gone, Eric Ebron will be a dynamic piece to the offense.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:53 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like spending a top 10 pick on a TE espically when you already have a TE who at worst is a great redzone. You can resign Pettigrew (unless the $ is to much)who is a great fit as a blocker to team with Faurio. From what I read on here even if you let Pettgrew goe then Williams is suppose to be a good blocker. You could still spend a mid round pick on a TE if you want in a pretty good class.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:26 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, all we really need from a TE at this point is for him to be a solid blocker and to contribute as a decent option in the pass game. Our redzone offense is already set, ranked 4th last year the 3 effective options (Calvin, Fauria, and run game), so we really don't need to spend valuable resources on a top weapon. It's hard to imagine we can't find an upgrade for Pettigrew outside of the top 10. That's even assuming that Fauria can't succeed in an expanded role.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

You don't take Ebron because of a need at TE, you take him because he is a special talent who is an extreme matchup problem for defenses.

Pettigrew is terrible and Fauria is a gimmick. We do not have any sort of starting TE. I'm fine if we try to get by with a lesser TE, but that's a different conversation.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:39 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

I guess I just don't see him like that. He definitely doesn't strike me as a Jimmy Graham/Rob Gronkowski level of mismatch. I think he's a poor man's Vernon Davis and I wouldn't even want to take Vernon Davis in the top 10.

Fauria may be a gimmick but he's extremely effective at what he does. Even if you don't think he can expand his role, which is very legitimate to question, why spend a top 10 pick on an offensive weapon that's not even needed in the redzone? The value just isn't there IMO.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:57 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

If Fauria can improve his blocking I do not see him as a gimmick. I think he can be a very good TE in this league. The receiving skills are there and the size is there, he just needs to be able to block better.

Williams was hidden on our IR with a simple hand injury for a reason. The man is a great blocker, to the point that people thought he could transition to OT at some point in his career. From a pure blocking standpoint, we are covered.

Now I like Ebron and wouldn't be upset with the pick, but my concern is the fact that high drafted TEs don't seem to provide the value to warrant their pick. NFL defenses seem to have evolved enough at this point to be capable of defending TE's like him and I think we are better served addressing other areas this high in the draft
Old 03-07-2014, 01:03 PM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

Jimmie Graham definitely would not be worth it.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:11 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

Quote:
That would just prove my point further. It's not that Ebron isn't a great TE prospect, although he's certainly not in Vernon Davis' class, it's just very rare that you find a TE worth being drafted in the top 10. On top of that it's not like we're a team desperate for offensive talent. We have the best WR in the league, a solid running game, and a TE who's a mismatch in the redzone.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:21 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
It's a great point, yes, in the end it is all on Stafford's shoulders, make no mistake about that. He's really disappointed the last couple of years and we are all hoping that the change in coaching staffs will have a profound effect on his performance. If it does, extra weapons will have an impact, if it doesn't, adding more weapons won't mean a whole lot.

I'm still hoping for the best, that the new coaches will have a huge impact but there is no doubt that this season is crucial and will indicate just how successful this franchise will be in the near future.

I think at this point, we all pretty well know each others preferences so why don't we just list them by name for round 1 and position by round 2 and 3, because nobody has a clue who will be available in those rounds when it is our pick. We should also mention one FA signing who we really want to happen.

Round 1) Gilbert CB
Round 2) WR
Round 3) OC

FA: Jairus Byrd S
Old 03-07-2014, 02:00 PM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

That would be easier if we knew who was not available.
I'd start with my free agent: TJ Ward.
Then, my big board: Watkins, Robinson, Matthews, Mack...
If none of those are available, in order: Ebron, Dennard, Lewan, Ealy, Barr.
2nd) Kyle Van Noy, Or a WR
3rd) Weston Richburg C
Old 03-07-2014, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredder View Post
I guess I just don't see him like that. He definitely doesn't strike me as a Jimmy Graham/Rob Gronkowski level of mismatch. I think he's a poor man's Vernon Davis and I wouldn't even want to take Vernon Davis in the top 10.

Fauria may be a gimmick but he's extremely effective at what he does. Even if you don't think he can expand his role, which is very legitimate to question, why spend a top 10 pick on an offensive weapon that's not even needed in the redzone? The value just isn't there IMO.
Is he? He scored like 2 TDs in the final 8 games. Teams figured out his one trick and easily defended him from there on out.

I think you need to watch some Ebron tape. The kid is an explosive athlete
Old 03-07-2014, 02:02 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Quote:
Lol, that better be a joke. Graham is one of the 5 best receiving options in all of football, WR or TE.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:03 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Quote:
That would be easier if we knew who was not available.
I'd start with my free agent: TJ Ward.
Then, my big board: Watkins, Robinson, Matthews, Mack...
If none of those are available, in order: Ebron, Dennard, Lewan, Ealy, Barr.
2nd) Kyle Van Noy, Or a WR
3rd) Weston Richburg C
If we do spend big on a S, I don't think its an in the box type. I think that's where they prefer Quin. Plus generally I just think coverage is more where they are looking to upgrade.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:06 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
It's a great point, yes, in the end it is all on Stafford's shoulders, make no mistake about that. He's really disappointed the last couple of years and we are all hoping that the change in coaching staffs will have a profound effect on his performance. If it does, extra weapons will have an impact, if it doesn't, adding more weapons won't mean a whole lot.

I'm still hoping for the best, that the new coaches will have a huge impact but there is no doubt that this season is crucial and will indicate just how successful this franchise will be in the near future.

I think at this point, we all pretty well know each others preferences so why don't we just list them by name for round 1 and position by round 2 and 3, because nobody has a clue who will be available in those rounds when it is our pick. We should also mention one FA signing who we really want to happen.

Round 1) Gilbert CB
Round 2) WR
Round 3) OC

I don't disagree that the lack of talent around Stafford probably hurt him and his stats to a degree, there is no doubt every Durham and our other WRs have to right to be on an NFL football field. But when more talent does come in, if he doesn't improve then it's all a moot point. He will have to elevate his game in order to take advantage of the extra help we bring in. That was my only point in my comments, interceptions need to go down and efficiency needs to go up.

Round 1) Gilbert CB
Round 2) WR
Round 3) OC

For once IAC we actually agree on draft preferences. I have OC in the third right now because I expect us to bring in a veteran WR in FA as well and another WR in round 3 would be overkill. If we do not get a veteran WR I would have WR there. TE a possibility too if by some chance one of the top 4 falls. But for simplicity sake I see OC as a very likely scenario once holes are filled up.

I am infatuated with the idea of adding Byrd and Gilbert to our secondary. Our defense would simply be too good. Playmaking and pass defense was our only flaws last year and we could turn it into a strength in one offseason.