Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 03-19-2014, 11:27 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just getting to know the crowd.
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:15 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
nice post.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:24 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's funny how life turns out. I ended up coaching baseball for over 25 years, working with kids anywhere from 8 till 18 and even coached the older groups as well.

I'm originally from Toronto but moved down close to Windsor when I was 49 and married a local girl. That's how I became a Lion's fan. Originally, I was a Brown's fan since Toronto TV only carried the Brown's games when I was a kid, got to see every game Jimmy Brown ever played. Then Buffalo came into existence and I added them to my favourite teams. Just my luck that the teams I closely watch are Cleveland, Buffalo and Detroit, been pretty brutal in the FA era but I've stuck by them all.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:34 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I'll be 71 in July. The draft first caught my interest when I learned that the LA Rams were the first team to actually send out scouts to watch players, before that teams simply drafted from the All American teams and All Conference teams, flops were so common, it was ridiculous. I think the Rams got something like 9 starters the first year they started scouting and a # of super stars, quite a few from smaller schools, after that every NFL saw the light and hired scouts. I was so fascinated by the story, I started reading my Street and Smith magazine and tried to predict the draft. I spent hours on it even as a little kid.

My parents divorced when I was 9 and I turned to sports to survive the ordeal, especially as I didn't know another kid from a broken home, it was unusual back then. I lived with my dad and football was a huge part of my existence.

Later, when I was 17, I started my own sports news service just so I could get stats on the NBA, which were unavailable in Canada in those days. I originally wrote the NBA and asked them for their stats, they sent me their weekly release which gave me everything I could ever hope for. I wrote them back and asked if I could receive it every week and they wrote me back that it was reserved for newsmen and editors. So I went to city hall and registered my company. I then rented a post office box and proceeded to have my own stationary printed. I then wrote back to the NBA on my stationary, and said I was an Editor and I got their weekly stats from then on.

I had all this stationary and a post office box, so I decided to write to every pro sport and every college in America to see what they would send me and I was soon receiving hundreds of mail every day including every colleges football yearbook. Then I brought a few friends into the business and I decided to put out my own All American team, if you look in the Michigan St. football yearbook, you'll still see an All American I named sometime in the 60's, I found they really liked to advertise their All Americans and it still says beside so and so's name All American, AP, plus a list of other news services and finally, my news service. Not only did they like my All American teams, they had all the local papers publish those facts in big headlines, no doubt, a recruiting tool. It was kind of neat.

Being in Canada in the 60's meant few professional or college sports had any idea of what was going on in Canada and it wasn't long before I started getting invites to all sorts of sporting events, I'll leave it up to your imagination, to wonder what I got to go to and it wasn't long before we were selling our interviews to the local radio stations and TV stations. I've interviewed player like O.J. Simpson and Joe Namath. Man, I could tell you stories, you'd be hard put to believe. I gave it all up to my friends, the whole thing, once I graduated from University, my job kept me so busy, I didn't have the time any longer to give to that business, but it was fun while it lasted.

It would be much harder today to do it, Canada has professional sport teams, so we are no longer in the wilderness like we were in the very early 60's. I should write a book on my adventures but at my age, I just don't have the energy.
Interesting read, thanks for sharing.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:01 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is usually the time of year that is full of arguments and dissenting opinions. It's good to have a moment where we can pull out of the predraft grind and really respect each other's opinions. It's so rare to see that, especially online.

I was just starting to feel argumentative and set in my own opinions. I'm proud of the maturity here. So thank you all.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:54 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

I admit in my younger days, I could be quite argumentative, ego sometimes gets the better of you, but I've matured, see everybody on this site as Detroit fans, the same as me, all wanting the best for the Lions, so I've learned to listen better and keep an open mind.

I can still get quite upset over a team's incompetence in building a winner, I'm sure you all remember how hard I was on Matt Millen and Ford, but hopefully, we are on a roll now and I'm no longer bitter about management, I'm actually the opposite, very optimistic. However, you don't want to read my posts on the other 2 teams I also love, Cleveland and Buffalo, I'm hard on their management and it pisses off their other fans.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:39 PM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Taylor Lewan in the 2nd. 3 misdemeaor charges of assault and battery. He broke up a fight and a couple of OSU fans filed charges.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:48 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel View Post
Taylor Lewan in the 2nd. 3 misdemeaor charges of assault and battery. He broke up a fight and a couple of OSU fans filed charges.
The incident is relatively old news that people have been aware of. The facts of the story make him out to be pretty innocent and I doubt he will slide on draft day because some drunk college kid that went to OSU claims Lewan hit him.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:49 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do people think about Barr as a possible pick. There's been a lot of talk about him and it could be easy to see Mayhew falling in love with him.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:55 PM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

If you're looking at Barr wouldn't you have to consider Ealy. I like Barr, too!
Old 03-21-2014, 11:02 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

Schaub to Oakland. Think that wraps up a QB at #1.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:27 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
What do people think about Barr as a possible pick. There's been a lot of talk about him and it could be easy to see Mayhew falling in love with him.
I could definitely see this happening.

Mayhew loves adding pass rushers

We hired a DC who has been working in a hybrid 3-4/4-3, where Barr would be a great fit

We play oversized DEs on the left side who aren't a threat to get more than 5 sacks in a given year, so having a LB who can slide down to DE on pass downs makes sense.

Great combination of athleticism and production in a big conference. He may be the best value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel View Post
If you're looking at Barr wouldn't you have to consider Ealy. I like Barr, too!
I think Ealy is a bit overrated. I actually have Kareem Martin ahead of him. I think Barr is a tier above Martin too IMO.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
I could definitely see this happening.

Mayhew loves adding pass rushers

We hired a DC who has been working in a hybrid 3-4/4-3, where Barr would be a great fit

We play oversized DEs on the left side who aren't a threat to get more than 5 sacks in a given year, so having a LB who can slide down to DE on pass downs makes sense.

Great combination of athleticism and production in a big conference. He may be the best value.

I think Ealy is a bit overrated. I actually have Kareem Martin ahead of him. I think Barr is a tier above Martin too IMO.
As long as we play a 4-3, Barr would have to be absolutely sensational in the Von Miller range for a 4-3 team to draft an OLBer that high. LB in a 4-3 is not generally viewed as a primary position in the draft and that is why, Barr has dropped a bit and could easily be available at #10. However, I just think smart drafting teams stay the course, and stick with high priority positions, when drafting in the top 10. So, if we go defense, it should be either a DE or a CB, if we go offense, it should be a LT or a WR, since we already have a franchise QB. All the rest of the positions on offense or defense, are considered secondary positions and should be avoided like the plague, if you are drafting for value.

It can be a whole different ballgame if there are no highly ranked priority prospects and the secondary prospects are simply ranked miles ahead of the primary ones, in that case taking a secondary position player is quite OK, but IMO, this draft doesn't in anyway, offer that scenario.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:17 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.

With Mayhew's success in finding quality lineman throughout the draft, I have a really hard time seeing us targeting a LT as BPA at 10.

The way I see it, barring someone like Watson, Mack or Clowney falling, I view five real potential targets at 10.

Eric Ebron would be the biggest offensive difference maker, but I'd understand if Evans was ranked higher.

Clinton-Dix would have the most immediate impact, Aaron Donald may be the best pure defensive player, Gilbert has the highest ceiling of a position of need.
StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:51 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'll be 71 in July. The draft first caught my interest when I learned that the LA Rams were the first team to actually send out scouts to watch players, before that teams simply drafted from the All American teams and All Conference teams, flops were so common, it was ridiculous. I think the Rams got something like 9 starters the first year they started scouting and a # of super stars, quite a few from smaller schools, after that every NFL saw the light and hired scouts. I was so fascinated by the story, I started reading my Street and Smith magazine and tried to predict the draft. I spent hours on it even as a little kid.

My parents divorced when I was 9 and I turned to sports to survive the ordeal, especially as I didn't know another kid from a broken home, it was unusual back then. I lived with my dad and football was a huge part of my existence.

Later, when I was 17, I started my own sports news service just so I could get stats on the NBA, which were unavailable in Canada in those days. I originally wrote the NBA and asked them for their stats, they sent me their weekly release which gave me everything I could ever hope for. I wrote them back and asked if I could receive it every week and they wrote me back that it was reserved for newsmen and editors. So I went to city hall and registered my company. I then rented a post office box and proceeded to have my own stationary printed. I then wrote back to the NBA on my stationary, and said I was an Editor and I got their weekly stats from then on.

I had all this stationary and a post office box, so I decided to write to every pro sport and every college in America to see what they would send me and I was soon receiving hundreds of mail every day including every colleges football yearbook. Then I brought a few friends into the business and I decided to put out my own All American team, if you look in the Michigan St. football yearbook, you'll still see an All American I named sometime in the 60's, I found they really liked to advertise their All Americans and it still says beside so and so's name All American, AP, plus a list of other news services and finally, my news service. Not only did they like my All American teams, they had all the local papers publish those facts in big headlines, no doubt, a recruiting tool. It was kind of neat.

Being in Canada in the 60's meant few professional or college sports had any idea of what was going on in Canada and it wasn't long before I started getting invites to all sorts of sporting events, I'll leave it up to your imagination, to wonder what I got to go to and it wasn't long before we were selling our interviews to the local radio stations and TV stations. I've interviewed player like O.J. Simpson and Joe Namath. Man, I could tell you stories, you'd be hard put to believe. I gave it all up to my friends, the whole thing, once I graduated from University, my job kept me so busy, I didn't have the time any longer to give to that business, but it was fun while it lasted.

It would be much harder today to do it, Canada has professional sport teams, so we are no longer in the wilderness like we were in the very early 60's. I should write a book on my adventures but at my age, I just don't have the energy.
Damn, I'm impressed by your life story. And the fact that you're that old with the ability to use a computer.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:04 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IAC, is it true the Ten Commandments were actually inscribed on the back of your first ever Top Ten Draft Board stone tablets?
Old 03-22-2014, 02:16 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Damn, I'm impressed by your life story. And the fact that you're that old with the ability to use a computer.
I dreamed about having a computer when it was the 50's and nobody had ever heard of such a thing except a few people.

Do you think after 60 odd years of being a draftnik, I'd pass up the chance of exploring my hobby on a computer, you should know that draftniks will go to any ends to explore their hobby.

One of my other hobbies was strategy war games, for most of my life, I had to play them with maps covering the living room floor and move pieces around with tweezers, you think I would pass up a chance to play them using a mouse and a computer screen.

In life, if you are truly motivated, you find ways to learn what is necessary. Age doesn't matter.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:19 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
IAC, is it true the Ten Commandments were actually inscribed on the back of your first ever Top Ten Draft Board stone tablets?
No, I had to settle for sandstone to inscribe on. Used a hammer and a chisel.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:52 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Quote:
As long as we play a 4-3, Barr would have to be absolutely sensational in the Von Miller range for a 4-3 team to draft an OLBer that high. LB in a 4-3 is not generally viewed as a primary position in the draft and that is why, Barr has dropped a bit and could easily be available at #10. However, I just think smart drafting teams stay the course, and stick with high priority positions, when drafting in the top 10. So, if we go defense, it should be either a DE or a CB, if we go offense, it should be a LT or a WR, since we already have a franchise QB. All the rest of the positions on offense or defense, are considered secondary positions and should be avoided like the plague, if you are drafting for value.

It can be a whole different ballgame if there are no highly ranked priority prospects and the secondary prospects are simply ranked miles ahead of the primary ones, in that case taking a secondary position player is quite OK, but IMO, this draft doesn't in anyway, offer that scenario.
Barr would mostly be a DE and first and foremost is a pass rusher. Its not like taking Ernie Sims or something. It would be a great way to upgrade our pass rush and our team speed.

You're a bit too obsessed with position value. Its important, don't get me wrong, but its far from the end all, be all. You need to draft good players and fill holes.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:17 PM    (permalink
fredder
Veteran

fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fredder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, this is similar to when IAC used the average salary for DTs to try to prove that Suh wasn't worth signing to a big contract. Most 4-3 OLBs, like DTs, aren't worth taking with top picks or signing to big contracts. However, the ones who are able to be productive pass rushers are absolutely worth those kind of investments. It's similar to a guy like Jimmy Graham being worth WR money because his production matches that of a high-end WR.

If we're able to have a plan in place for how we're going to use Barr then I wouldn't be that upset with us taking him. I'd still prefer Gilbert but I don't think Barr has warranted the criticisms that people have placed on him. He's still a very good prospect IMO and our pass-rush could certainly use some help at this point.
fredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:19 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.

Giving it a bit more thought, while I personally have concerns about Barr as a prospect, I would be enthused by the logic of drafting him. If became the player some project him to be, he'd be an ideal fit for us.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:52 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nobody is worth a disproportionate amount of cap space outside of elite quarterbacks. Outside of Sean Taylor, the positional value argument has held up pretty well.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:45 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

Id argue that was is key is less a dispropriately large contract but rather a disaprppriately high position group. You can afford to keep the Suhs if you one of your starting ends is making Young/Taylor money.

Its why I view DT as a draft need. We need to view Fairley as gone.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:48 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

Id argue that was is key is less a dispropriately large contract but rather a disaprppriately high position group. You can afford to keep the Suhs if you one of your starting ends is making Young/Taylor money.

Its why I view DT as a draft need. We need to view Fairley as gone.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:58 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Nobody is worth a disproportionate amount of cap space outside of elite quarterbacks. Outside of Sean Taylor, the positional value argument has held up pretty well.
What does this even mean?