Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 04-27-2012, 07:57 AM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorrinRadd12 View Post
Berman made the draft all about him. ESPN overall was a disaster. Too much Gruden, not enough Kiper and I didn't even see McShay. I could here the PA guy announcing trades in the background, but couldn't hear the whole thing, just bits and pieces and the ESPN guys were repeating the samethings about players they've been saying for 3 months.
Yeah, the ESPN coverage is pretty ******* terrible. They weren't even discussing details of any of the trades that were happening. It's as if they are completely incapable of understanding what the fan base wants. Seriously, I know the Draftnik bunch pretty well, and if there's one thing that we are, it's opinionated. It just shouldn't be this hard to put forth a decent presentation.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 AM    (permalink
irishbucsfan
Rookie

irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.irishbucsfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
They could have easily assumed STL was zeroing in on Fletcher Cox, like they have been rumored to be for weeks, and figured they might as well pick up an extra 4th while still being able to land Mo.

It's hard to imagine a 4th + Mark Barron was really what they wanted instead of Claiborne. It just looks like they tried to get cute and wound up getting burned.

You are kidding me if you don't think the Rams were identified as having a need at DB, and a major risk to take MC themselves. You need to separate thinking Barron was a reach from thinking we screwed ourselves over. I would bet my life on the fact that we had Barron > Claiborne, and acted accordingly. That may turn out to be a mistake, but this whole 'got cute' business is so far from Dominik's MO. He targets very specific players and go gets them, for better or worse.

"Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"
irishbucsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, apparently ESPN decided that it was ok to flat out state who the pick is going to be as long as a trade is involved.

It was really pissing people off in the chat last night weren't watching ESPN. "Tipping" in my mind is showing the guy in the green room on the phone or announcing it via twitter. ESPN was just flat out stating who it was going to be as soon as the trade went down.

The NFL should really chew them out but they won't...ESPN is paying way too much for MNF to risk pissing off.

And Berman needs to go. I'm sick of him. He's not entertaining in any way. He's so god damn full of himself and the stupid things he says...time for some new blood.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:03 AM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
And Berman needs to go. I'm sick of him. He's not entertaining in any way. He's so god damn full of himself and the stupid things he says...time for some new blood.
Kiper + McShay + Gruden + Scott Wright

Book it.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:04 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The less McShay the better. He actually had the Bears taking Hightower in his last mock draft and even said on tv "this makes no sense but..."

That's no expert. That's a moron.

And you forgot Trent Dilfer. ESPN wedges Trent Dilfer into every damn thing.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:07 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, apparently ESPN decided that it was ok to flat out state who the pick is going to be as long as a trade is involved.

It was really pissing people off in the chat last night weren't watching ESPN. "Tipping" in my mind is showing the guy in the green room on the phone or announcing it via twitter. ESPN was just flat out stating who it was going to be as soon as the trade went down.

The NFL should really chew them out but they won't...ESPN is paying way too much for MNF to risk pissing off.

Berman still pisses me off less than Gruden, with his "Every player is great because I might coach them someday, and Weeden is a good pick because Roger Staubach was 27" type of idiot logic.

Jaws and Steve Young look like they want to *****-smack Dilfer when he tries to school them on quarterbacking.

Last edited by WCH : 04-27-2012 at 08:09 AM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:09 AM    (permalink
NorrinRadd12
Rookie

NorrinRadd12 could make a wolverine purr.NorrinRadd12 could make a wolverine purr.NorrinRadd12 could make a wolverine purr.NorrinRadd12 could make a wolverine purr.NorrinRadd12 could make a wolverine purr.NorrinRadd12 could make a wolverine purr.

I thought the crowd was an acting like idiots. It's the NFL Draft, not WWE Smackdown. Saying "WHAT?!?!" before every pick and chanting "Dolphins suck" while Claiborne was on stage with Goodell was trashy. It's his moment, let him have it.
NorrinRadd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:09 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Berman still pisses me off less than Gruden, with his "Every player is great because I might coach them someday, and Weeden is a good pick because Roger Staubach was 27" type of idiot logic.
"I didn't get Rich Gannon til he was 34!" It's not like Gannon never played a down of NFL football before that or anything....

Seriously. Weeden is just a Graham Harrell who happened to be 28, so all of the talking heads decided to get behind him to show how open minded they are...or something. And because he's older, he's obviously more mature and pro ready. Clearly.

I don't see it in him. I've never seen it in him. Good luck Cleveland.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:21 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So no more draft for the Pats after second round

Also where can i find all the trade info.

Love the rookie wage scale, it lead to more trading.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:27 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
So no more draft for the Pats after second round

Also where can i find all the trade info.

Love the rookie wage scale, it lead to more trading.
Yeah, this is the first year where the draft has happened with the scale in place. I think teams got to fully understand the implications of it and it led to more trading overall.

I forget who said it, but somewhere I read or heard someone say "teams were moving up to get the player that they wanted more than ever."

And I agree with that. Teams seemed to be targeting one particular guy that they wanted, and moved where they had to in order to get him.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:29 AM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

Quote:
Teams seemed to be targeting one particular guy that they wanted, and moved where they had to in order to get him.
Call me conservative, but I'm not a big fan of giving up the barn (Riley Reiff) just because it won't cost me 65-million. I'd rather get 10-12 guys to really build the team.

But yes, the trades did make for a very interesting first round. And I don't think it slows down too much in round 2, as there are still a lot of starting caliber prospects on the board.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:40 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteinebach View Post
Call me conservative, but I'm not a big fan of giving up the barn (Riley Reiff) just because it won't cost me 65-million. I'd rather get 10-12 guys to really build the team.

But yes, the trades did make for a very interesting first round. And I don't think it slows down too much in round 2, as there are still a lot of starting caliber prospects on the board.
But thats the thing nobody really gave up the barn to move up. Well other than the Browns with the Vikings.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:48 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
But thats the thing nobody really gave up the barn to move up. Well other than the Browns with the Vikings.
Even there, it was all 4th round and later picks.

We didn't see anyone giving up giving up future picks or anything like that. (During the draft at least, Washington did before.) And unless they were trading from the 2nd to get back into the first (like Tampa,) we didn't even see many teams giving up their 2nd rounders this year to do it. Dallas might be one of the few.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:54 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
Steelers win as usual...

It's like they are Jedi Masters using their powers to guide the guys who fit best to them... DeCastro at their pick is just disgusting good.
i like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:55 AM    (permalink
jbooshey
Rookie

jbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjbooshey is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Maybe, but that didn't exactly work out with Matt Flynn. Plus, QBs who never do anything are far more prevalent than ones who do end up being traded for good picks.

Better to have a guy you know could be an adequate backup than roll the dice on a rookie, especially if you can have the first guy for less. (Assuming 3rd for Cousins like you said and a 5th for McCoy like I said.)
This is all a moot point. Thompson loves Graham Harrell and Harrell will be the No. 2 next year. They will draft a late round guy like Austin Davis or something to be the No. 3 QB. No way do they draft a QB in round 3.
jbooshey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:58 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i was damn near in tears (trashed out of my mind) when decastro was on the board. so ******* happy lol

Quote:
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:59 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Who Thompson loves and who McCarthy loves, big difference and you know how he preforms.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:00 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
i was damn near in tears (trashed out of my mind) when decastro was on the board. so ******* happy lol
The Steelers are bastards. Only they could have a stud pro bowl Alan Faneca 2.0 guard fall right to them about 10 picks after where his value fell.

Ridiculous. It's ridiculous. Heaps of praise will be piled onto their implacable front office but this time, all they really did was apply some common sense.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:02 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One of McGinn's sources said that he expects GB to draft a QB in the 3rd round, because they'll probably get a compensatory 3rd round pick for Flynn.

After watching Harrell in the preseason last year, I think that the "love" for him is because it's more polite than saying "dude sucks, we need to upgrade."
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:04 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

i would have been so furious if they passed on him.

i LOVE pouncey but this was a better pick than pouncey and it will turn pouncey into an all world player. Im so excited, i couldnt believe it. My friends know how much this means to me but they couldnt wrap their heads around how ******* happy i was lol

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:15 AM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do not see how the Bears pick of Shea McClellin was a bad pick?

Mayoch had him as the 14th player in the draft.

ESPN had him as the 19th player in the draft.

And I am pretty sure that Patriots and Packers were eying him, so that should tell you something.

This was a good pick for the Bears and not that surprising of a pick considering how many picks the last regime wasted on freaks who could jump out of pools.

The Bears do not need more OGs [DeCastro] and they do not need more OT that will become OGs [Rieff].
JohnCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:16 AM    (permalink
rockio42
Pro Bowler

rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
i would have been so furious if they passed on him.

i LOVE pouncey but this was a better pick than pouncey and it will turn pouncey into an all world player. Im so excited, i couldnt believe it. My friends know how much this means to me but they couldnt wrap their heads around how ******* happy i was lol
I hate you so much right now.

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.
rockio42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:16 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCandy View Post

And I am pretty sure that Patriots and Packers were eying him, so that should tell you something.

This was a good pick for the Bears and not that surprising of a pick considering how many picks the last regime wasted on freaks who could jump out of pools.

The Bears do not need more OGs [DeCastro] and they do not need more OT that will become OGs [Rieff].
Beat you by a page bro ;)

Quote:
I don't completely hate the Bears pick as some do.

The Bears have been saying that they like their o-line as it is...I don't agree, but I knew we weren't going in that direction. When DeCastro was there, I did get my hopes up a little, but I still knew it wasn't going to be the pick.

I had a feeling it was either going to be Chandler Jones or McClellin. I think I would have preferred Jones, but McClellin wasn't a shock.

From the sounds of things, we may use him as a 2 down SAM LB and then move him up to DE in nickel situations. If that's the case, then I feel a little better about it since using a first on a one down player would have been terrible.

And he's not as big of reach as some are saying. I saw him being mocked with fair consistency in the late first to teams like the Packers and Patriots. A 10 pick reach isn't as the full round some are making it seem like.

All that said, I'm not in love with the pick, but I think it's getting **** on too much. I like high motor guys and he should have opportunities to get sacks across from Peppers.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:32 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCandy View Post

Much less about the player, much more about the scheme fit. Where the hell do they play him in a 4-3? DE? SLB? I don't love either of those fits, plus you've already got an absolute ton of money invested in your LBers as it is. You've made a significant investment in Jay Cutler and now Brandon Marshall, keeping him upright is of premium importance. There is no way you can convince me that McClellin was a better pick for the Bears then DeCastro or Reiff could have been, and I really like McClellin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:35 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Much less about the player, much more about the scheme fit. Where the hell do they play him in a 4-3? DE? SLB? I don't love either of those fits, plus you've already got an absolute ton of money invested in your LBers as it is. You've made a significant investment in Jay Cutler and now Brandon Marshall, keeping him upright is of premium importance. There is no way you can convince me that McClellin was a better pick for the Bears then DeCastro or Reiff could have been, and I really like McClellin.
The Bears front office believes and has said multiple times that they like our o-line for whatever reason. I knew they weren't going o-line there no matter who fell.

And, from what I've read and mentioned before, the plan for McClellin is to play SAM for two downs and then move to DE in nickel situations.

It's not a great pick, but it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.