Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-24-2013, 04:12 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't really want us to go Patterson. I feel like we already have a big receiver who needs development in Hill. People keep mentioning him as a starter, but he is still a big question mark and has a lot of development to go. I don't like the idea of having two WR's who still need lots of development. Seems like duplication. I would definitely rather have Eifert who I think is more plug-and-play and at a bigger position of immediate need. I don't think #13 is a huge reach.

With that said, i am totally on board with trading down and picking up some additional picks. Lots of equal talent to be had. Doubling down our chances is a good thing!

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:14 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Word is they aren't taking Geno Smith.

Mingo
Eifert
Austin
Carradine
Nassib
Vaccaro

I think we ultimately see two of those players.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:16 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Word is they aren't taking Geno Smith.

Mingo
Eifert
Austin
Carradine
Nassib
Vaccaro

I think we ultimately see two of those players.
Thank god.

My list of possibilities for our picks are;

Mingo
Warmack
Cooper
Eifert
Vaccaro

If Milliner is there i'd toss him in the mix.

Quote:
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:27 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Difference between Patterson and Hill is that Hill's a straight line deep threat type, whereas Patterson will be at his best in the short to intermediate game. They'd complement each other quite well if they both develop, and this team is definitely a couple years away. Not sure they're looking for instant impact as much as swing for the fences if they're taking a playmaker in the 20's.

I don't want a guard, a corner, a QB, or Jarvis Jones at either 9 or 13 so I'm going into tomorrow expecting to be disappointed. That said I like gpngc's list minus the last two guys. Vaccaro I could dig in a trade down though.

Tank's an interesting one we haven't talked about much. He's super rocked up so his fluidity isn't great, but as gpngc pointed out in another thread they're used to big OLB's. Lots of upside there, particularly with the Jets' defensive coaching staff.
derza222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:53 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I guess we do need support at WR given;

Holmes - Out after this year
Hill - Still an unknown
Kerley - not more than a #2 and may have trouble on the outside

Perhaps i'm just hesitant with him as one of our top picks and I like some of the depth at the position. If the Jets draft him at #13 i'm not too excited, but if we can successfully trade down i'd be okay with it.

I agree with your thoughts on not wanting a CB/QB/Jarvis, but all the hype and need at guard would make me okay with Warmack. Not sexy, but floor should be high and he is a safe selection to improve the roster as a whole.

Quote:
Old 04-24-2013, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be fine with Cooper, Warmack, or Patterson. Agreed that OG could be found later, but these guys are supposed to be elite. Patterson, a big playmaker would be nice. There's also the word out that Jet fans should get to know the name Jarvis Jones. Maybe they prefer him over Mingo. What I would not like, is these other rumors of the Jets looking at Nassib, and trying to jump past Buffalo to get him late in the first.

I know I'm biased, but this is a great draft to a Jet fan. Totally pumped. So many different directions they could go here.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:15 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking in terms of WR. We're looking at building a team, and aside from having a slot guy and hopefully a deep threat long-term there's just not much there at WR. Given how much the league now is about creating mismatches and making plays on the outside, I think it's important. At this point I'd fall somewhere in between happy and unhappy with Patterson at 13, but I'd be happy if they trade down and get him. That was really the context I was talking about it in.

I actually like Cooper over Warmack. Not sure Warmack makes sense in the new scheme running more zone, Cooper's mobility is a huge plus there. I'm also concerned about taking a guy who played on a line as stacked as Alabama's. Warmack's obviously solid, but if he makes a mistake Kouandjio or Jones could help out there. Mostly scheme fit, but that's a thought. I just don't think guards should go top 15. In a trade down I'd be happy enough with it and I could live with Cooper at 13. Would be very upset with a guard at 9 though.

I'm more anxious than excited, but hopefully it goes well.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:38 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Rotoworld says Geno is the Jets' top QB. I still think this is more likely than it gets discussed.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:01 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I keep seeing Jarvis Jones linked to the Jets.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 AM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In an interview, Austin says the Jets told him that they "had a plan" for him. I'm sure they say a lot of things to a lot of players, but it's clear he is an option for the Jets at 9 or 13.

As for Geno, I just don't get the feeling that the Jets will pick him. His number of fumbles someone had stated here in earlier posts is alarming. He could end up a turnover machine in the NFL. They may have him ranked first, but that could still rank him out of the top 13 range.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:47 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
In an interview, Austin says the Jets told him that they "had a plan" for him. I'm sure they say a lot of things to a lot of players, but it's clear he is an option for the Jets at 9 or 13.
I wouldn't hate it. He's a match up nightmare

I don't remember being this excited for a draft in a long time. We could realistically go in any direction.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My reactions today based on players:

Ryan Nassib - I may have a mental breakdown. I would be inconsolable.

Players I'd be upset about getting:
Dion Jordan - This guy is way overrated, he isn't a good pass rusher, which is what he's being valued for (you don't take coverage OLBs top 10 or even top 20 for that matter)
Tavon Austin - Jeremy Kerley has a similar skillset and is way underrated IMO, he's our slot guy of the future, why draft another one? Makes NOOOOOO sense. I don't buy all these reports that the Jets are big on him, what the hell kind of offense are we going to run that utilizes 2 of the same type of receiver? We need a legitimate #1 WR, not some slot guy/deep threat.
Sharrif Floyd - Really don't think this is a possibility but yeah, I'd be upset with this.

Players I'd be indifferent about getting:
Geno Smith - Assuming no trade up, the value really wouldn't be that bad. Both him and
Matt Barkley - would be great fits for a WCO imo. And while I love me some Barkley, I think he can be had later than 13th so let's accumulate some picks and still land him.
Cordarelle Patterson - With such glaring holes elsewhere there isn't a WR I'd really like us taking in the 1st, but if we do, Patterson would be a better shot to be a legit #1 guy than Austin would. Austin isn't Percy Harvin, he's more like TY Hilton.
Star Lotulelei - If he fell to us I think he's automatically BPA. Way undermocked, this guy should be the first DT off the board and go 3rd or 4th to the Raiders, Eagles, or a trade up. I took him in the forum mock at 9 and I'm good with it, guy is an animal, but again DT isn't really a need.
Sheldon Richardson - I think he may be better than Floyd personally, and I think he'd be a closer fit to what our d-line could use than Floyd would be, and I'm assuming this would be pick 13 whereas Floyd would be 9.
Chance Warmack - Would probably be an OK pick, I just don't like taking a guard so early.
Jonathan Cooper - see above

Players I'm celebrating for:
Barkevious Mingo - Obviously this would be a home run. BPA or close to it at 9 and huge need.
Ezekiel Ansah - See above, slightly less celebrating but still awesome!
Kenny Vaccaro - Hopefully at 13 and not 9, but arguably our biggest need aside from TE and the guy is the consensus best safety in the class, and is a solid scheme fit IMO.
Tyler Eifert - Hopefully a trade back to 18 or so, but even at 13 I'd celebrate this pick.
Jarvis Jones - Assuming Mingo and Ansah aren't there at 9, Jones at 13 I would definitely like.

I think that pretty much covers everyone who is a possibility for us. Assuming we don't do something like trade back to 31 and 34 with the Niners.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:16 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

Scott's final mock is up. here ya go:

Quote:
9: Dee Milliner CB, Alabama
The Jets have a ton of needs including but not limited to quarterback, running back, wide receiver, tight end, offensive tackle, offensive guard, outside linebacker, cornerback and safety. So basically just about everything. Needless to say New York could go in any number of different directions with this choice but after trading Darrelle Revis it may be difficult to pass on Alabama CB Dee Milliner, who is almost universally regarded as the top cover guy in this class by a significant margin. Tough and battle-tested with a prototypical blend of size and speed, Milliner is getting pushed up the board a bit since this is a weak draft at the top but still profiles as an immediate and long-term starter. In the days leading up to the draft reports surfaced that Milliner might slide a bit due to health concerns after undergoing five surgeries for various ailments the past few years. However, that wasn’t exactly a state secret and teams have had those medical reports for months so the timing is fishy to say the least. Odds are that was a classic smokescreen, most likely put out there by a team hoping Milliner would fall into their laps on Draft Day.

13: Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU
The Jets had better land a very good player with this choice after trading away the best cornerback in football to acquire it. This decision will of course be affected by what they do with their earlier pick but the J-E-T-S certainly have no shortage of needs to address. New York brought back Calvin Pace and signed Antwan Barnes but neither will be mistaken for an impact pass rusher anytime soon and a defensive-minded coach like Rex Ryan understands how important it is to pressure the quarterback. Barkevious Mingo of L.S.U. may be the biggest Boom or Bust prospect in this class. On one hand it’s clear that there are plenty of reasons to be concerned about Mingo, ranging from his underdeveloped physique, pending position change and pedestrian production. On the other hand it’s also very easy to become infatuated with “KeKe” due to his rare athleticism, rangy frame and long arms and outstanding speed, quickness and burst. When evaluating Mingo it’s almost as if your head is telling you one thing and your heart another. With that said someone is will roll the dice on Mingo somewhere in the top half of round one hoping they are getting the next Jevon Kearse rather than the next Aaron Maybin.

39: Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse
May come off the board as early #8 overall but will be a great fit in Marty Mornhinweg’s system.

72: T.J. McDonald, S, USC
Underachiever with an intriguing set of physical tools joins father Tim who is Jets DB coach.
Cooper was still available at 9. That's who I like. I'm okay with Milliner or Mingo at 13. I don't like Nassib, so I prefer someone like Datone Jones, Justin Pugh, or Jonathon Banks at 39 (depending on how the 1st round goes). I didn't know that McDonald's dad is our new DB coach. Vance McDonald, Sio Moore, and Giovani Bernard were still available in the 3rd.

Last edited by TimD : 04-25-2013 at 11:19 AM.
TimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:37 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Tony Pauline reporting the Jets ideally want to move down with one of their first rounders and take a QB with that lower first round selection. So many rumors.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

So many rumors is right. Makes this crazy interesting. Recently seen that ATL, SF could be players to move up in a trade with the Jets, making it possible they snag one of those QB's late in the 1st round before the Jags pick in the 2nd. Also saw that STL could be interested in trading up to the Jets 13 to pick Austin if the Jets want to pass on him. Passing on Austin and having the 16th pick plus STL's 2nd round pick, or something like that is an intriguing option.

All rumors though ......... Getting close to starting this thing up ...........
Old 04-25-2013, 05:14 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Ideally we make the move with the Rams and then can still choose from a number of solid options, and still are in play for another deal.

Quote:
Old 04-25-2013, 05:38 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Should be a wild night. Rumors like the Raiders taking DJ Hayden, guard guaranteed to go top 10...it's going to be very interesting. I've got no clue for the Jets too since there have been rumors all over the place. My guess would have been Austin but it sounds like he may go 8 (Rob will be thrilled). I kind of think Dion Jordan maybe falls and they pluck him. That or a trade down.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:24 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

I don't remember being this excited for a draft in a long time. I really hope they trade down though.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:37 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Well Rob's thrilled that the Jets won't be picking Jordan.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:56 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Jordan - Mingo - Ansah off the board. Looks like no pass rusher at 9.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:00 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

SO happy about Milliner. Disappointed about Richardson. If we took Star, we might've had the two best defensive players in the draft. I'll hope they're right about Richardson, but the reports on his character are troubling. Also, this has to mean we're going to the 4-3.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm okay with Milliner. In a passing league, you can't have enough corners. Don't love the pick but don't hate it.

As for Richardson:

Adam Schein ‏@AdamSchein 21m
You can't make it up. Just can't. Awful. #jets

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:11 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I mean they run plenty of 4-3 anyway...but who's playing end in the 4-3, or is Ellis getting pushed to the bench? And are they going to roll with Richardson-Wilkerson-Coples in passing situations?
Old 04-25-2013, 09:18 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You need depth. I think Ellis will be coming off the bench.

Regardless of how they line up, I will say this: I've never seen a faster DT than Richardson. He is incredibly fluid and explosive. Doesn't quit either. I don't know how strong he is (I know the bench numbers, but he doesn't appear to be that strong) and he doesn't have that much bulk, but when we have to rush the passer, he might be nasty.

I don't have a problem with either picks. I would like us to grab a skill position player on offense with our next pick (unless we trade down).
Old 04-25-2013, 09:20 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I will say this, if they hit on these BPA picks then that's great. I'd rather hit on a guy who's not at a need position than miss ona guy who fills a need. Add talent to the team you're building long-term. But there's a LOT of pressure to hit on those two guys now.