Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-26-2013, 02:59 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Actually... this has been a very unpredictable draft so far. The players I would hate to see on a rival's team the most would be Gillislee and Goodwin, so I wouldn't mind if those were our next picks.

But really, anything but a QB. What the Bills did, considering their connections to all the top guys, should be very telling as to whether we should pursue one or not.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:27 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm pretty excited about our defense.

Let's say the scenario is 3rd and 7 on a 4th quarter drive to win/tie the game. This is a pretty scary defense to look at if you're the opposing QB.

Coples - Richardson - Wilkerson - Barnes
We'll be able to pressure QBs right up the middle with Barnes coming off the edge.
Harris - Davis
QBs will consistently have to worry if Harris blitzing up the middle or dropping back.
Cromartie - Wilson - Milliner
While he's not Revis, Milliner immediately improves our secondary.
Landry - Bush
Obviously a weak spot. I'd love to see us select Swearinger tonight.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:28 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't really buy into the anything but a QB idea. They made it clear they stuck to their board with the first two picks. If they stick to their board and go QB, they stick to their board and go QB. I don't like a few of the guys in this class, but if they feel there's a chance to find a franchise guy...by all means. It's the most important position on the field and if they hit on someone it changes the outlook of this franchise. Plus, basically anyone is an upgrade, and they don't need to stay attached to a second round pick if it doesn't work out. Not my favorite move, but they could do a lot of worse things.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:52 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree derza. I won't be excited, but I'll chalk it up to trusting how management ranks the available players. I'd much rather see us give Sanchez/Garrard the tools to succeed, but I'm not the one making the decisions. I really hope the Ivory trade goes through so they can focus on OL, WR/TE, S, and OLB. I don't want to draft based on needs, but we can't ignore those holes.

Last edited by TimD : 04-26-2013 at 10:10 AM.
TimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:44 AM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Milliner over Warmack I could understand. CB is a much higher valued position than G, and Milliner is also a highly rated player. I wasn't super thrilled, but given how things played out, I understood the selection.

With Richardson I think Glenn Dorsey all over again. We took a square peg and are plugging it into a round hole. I see the talent and like the player, i just don't care for the fit. There has to be something more. I honestly instantly thought a trade would occur and we took him as a value pick to trade. That doesn't seem to be the case though.

I think i would have been happier with Warmack / Star. At least I would have understood it. Fills a need a G, and Star has more versatility to fit our scheme. I'm all about adding talent, which Milliner and Richardson bring, but I also see a lot of talent in Warmack/Star, and you fill big needs at the same time.

I think we missed in round 1.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:08 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

Schefter just tweeted that the Jets are trying to trade up for Geno Smith

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...41067028336640
Old 04-26-2013, 01:13 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Roll the dice. I'm fine with it in round 2. Didn't like it in Round 1. Giving it a shot at this point is worth the gamble.

With that said, I hope he doesn't start. There isn't a good enough support group around for him to succeed, so it would be a recipe for disaster. Let him sit and see if Sanchez can rebound in any way (i don't think you can with the supporting cast).

I prefer the idea of getting support pieces in place this year for a QB next year. With that said, if Geno is highest on your board, he is at a position of need.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:34 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I've got no issue with it at all, particularly this late. If you feel he could be your guy and you can develop him into a franchise guy, have to do it. Sticking with the board too I would imagine. Very curious what the compensation would be to get to 33.

As far as who starts this year, I'd imagine they'd say it's an open competition since that's all Idzik's been talking about, but I wouldn't mind if they said they plan on sitting him this season. Media's going to have a field day with it regardless, but I don't think Idzik cares about that at all based on what he was saying after picking Milliner (which could turn out to be a major downfall of his as GM).
Old 04-26-2013, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm fine with Geno in round 2.

What concerns me is that we passed on him not once, but twice in the 1st round. Were we just sticking to the board or are we not sold on Geno?

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
I prefer the idea of getting support pieces in place this year for a QB next year. With that said, if Geno is highest on your board, he is at a position of need.

Agreed. I would hate to give up much in compensation to move up, making it even more difficult to collect those pieces.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:53 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think its shocking how much a competent qb can change an offense even with limited talent. I see nothing wrong with drafting a qb and playing him day 1 at this point. We have seen tons of guys suceed that way. Also, if you bring in a guy like geno smith, you can count on him to most likely adapt to a WCO.Trading up for a qb is my issue though. With the way things are shaking out, a really talented running back could be had in the 3rd or even the fourth. Getting a potential starter at qb and rb would be a big step forward for a really crappy offense. I really wish they had been able to trade out of the first and get a few more mid round picks. Even with 2 2nd rounders, there would have been a shot to pick up two big time offensive players. I think not trading up for smith, getting some offensive talent and then drafting a guy like tyler wilson would be my ideal. However, thats not likely at all.

The defense has a lot of young talent that could develop into a scary, agressive unit. Wilkerson looks like hes on his way to being a great player. Coples showed some flashes at the end of the season and with his physical ability, there is no telling how good he could be. The Linebackers could be kinda weak, but David Harris is always solid and demorrio davis should be able to outplay scott (even though scott was better last year than he had been in a while). The secondary could be very good, but if Cro regresses or Milliner gets hurt like everyone seems to fear, we will be weak becasue of the lack of any established safeties. I have faith in Rex as a defensive mind, so I think the defense could be very good this year or next.

Last edited by josh07039 : 04-26-2013 at 02:57 PM.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:32 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Kimberly Jones on NFLN reporting the Jets are not interested in Geno and instead looking OLB, WR, or RB. I think OLB makes sense from a need perspective but not sure who. Lots of WR's on the board. Of all positions RB would surprise me a bit.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:36 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Kimberly Jones on NFLN reporting the Jets are not interested in Geno and instead looking OLB, WR, or RB. I think OLB makes sense from a need perspective but not sure who. Lots of WR's on the board. Of all positions RB would surprise me a bit.
I love Kim Jones so she has to be right. Good.
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Kimberly Jones. Anyways, at WR it could be Justin Hunter, Robert Woods, and Keenan Allen. There could be a few others. At OLB, Tank Carradine, Damontre Moore and maybe Jamie Collins.

I doubt we go RB. I think the Ivory trade eventually gets finalized.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-26-2013, 04:13 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Im actually pretty happy with day 1 we went BPA and i cant be upset at that. Obvioisly have a lot of work to do but i think both Milliner and Richardson will be good players for us. Today we need to go offense and their are plenty of skill position players left. A tight end would be nice
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:36 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I kind of question some fits of the top guys on the board. On offense I don't really like Hunter or Lacy very much in the new WCO. On Hunter I just don't know what he's going to offer after the catch, and for Lacy I see the need for the bruiser I just think a 5th for Ivory or a mid-late round guy makes more sense there.

I'm thinking the majority of the snaps/carries/touches are going to go to a more explosive back who's a pass catcher. I think Johnathan Franklin fits the scheme but they've already got guys like that and he's a bit redundant, I could get behind it if they think he's going to be a guy they can build the offense around. Really I'm hoping they wait or trade for Ivory there.

Then defensively you've got a guy like Moore who's got a reputation for being lazy. I know he's tough on the field, but I don't think that's going to fly with the people who are making decisions.

Still guessing they go QB, just hope it isn't Nassib. As for TE's, would be thrilled with Kelce in round 3.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:23 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have never seen anything from Nassib to make me think he would be an NFL player. I've seen him play a few times each year of his career and while he has shown solid progress every year, he has never wowed me in the slightest.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:25 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I kind of question some fits of the top guys on the board. On offense I don't really like Hunter or Lacy very much in the new WCO. On Hunter I just don't know what he's going to offer after the catch, and for Lacy I see the need for the bruiser I just think a 5th for Ivory or a mid-late round guy makes more sense there.

I'm thinking the majority of the snaps/carries/touches are going to go to a more explosive back who's a pass catcher. I think Johnathan Franklin fits the scheme but they've already got guys like that and he's a bit redundant, I could get behind it if they think he's going to be a guy they can build the offense around. Really I'm hoping they wait or trade for Ivory there.

Then defensively you've got a guy like Moore who's got a reputation for being lazy. I know he's tough on the field, but I don't think that's going to fly with the people who are making decisions.

Still guessing they go QB, just hope it isn't Nassib. As for TE's, would be thrilled with Kelce in round 3.
1) Lacy is good in the passing game.

2) Just because they are going to a WCO doesn't mean they're going to abandon the run - they still have no QB, they can't be throwing it 40 times a game.

Get Lacy.
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:35 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
1) Lacy is good in the passing game.

2) Just because they are going to a WCO doesn't mean they're going to abandon the run - they still have no QB, they can't be throwing it 40 times a game.

Get Lacy.
Who knows, maybe I'm off. But when I think of the offense the Jets want to run, I think of the Philadelphia Eagles and what they've run in the past. I couldn't see Lacy fitting in that offense. Just my guess, but I'd imagine they'd look for more explosiveness, less size, and more involvement in the passing game.

The Pro Day (work ethic concerns), health issues, and benefits of running behind that line (tied to that, the lack of success of RB's coming out of that program in the last few years) are problematic as well. I'm just not huge on Lacy for the Jets from a bunch of different angles.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:36 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Bringing in Mornihwheig means that they will be running a WCO. That is all. To say that they are still a "ground and pound" team can't be accurate at all.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, there it is. Didn't have to trade up. See'ya Sanchez !!! Hope Geno is the answer.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:41 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Im just happy to have some kind of direction for the offense even if it may be unsuccessful. What went on last year was a true embarrassment. Sparano made Schotty look like a mastermind. Now the question is do you start him day 1 and see if he can do it or do you shield him from the failure the offense will most likely become.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:46 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
Im just happy to have some kind of direction for the offense even if it may be unsuccessful. What went on last year was a true embarrassment. Sparano made Schotty look like a mastermind. Now the question is do you start him day 1 and see if he can do it or do you shield him from the failure the offense will most likely become.
Hopefully Garrard is healthy so he can start.

Do they cut Mark?
Old 04-26-2013, 06:56 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

It's a quarterback driven league. Hopefully we have a long-term answer. Let's see if Mornhinwig and Lee can make this work. Time to find some weapons. Kelce in round 3?
Old 04-26-2013, 07:09 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Kelce is the best TE on the board. He'd be a great pick in the 3rd.

At this point, I don't care if we draft an OLB or not.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by Hurricanes25 : 04-26-2013 at 07:15 PM.