Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-25-2013, 01:57 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Another thought I have is if Eifert is there, the Cowboys could end up pulling off a trade with Atlanta. The Falcons supposedly have a huge yearning sensation for him. We saw what they gave up for Julio. If something like that is offered. Sign me the hell up.

...unless Cooper/Warmack are there then no way do you trade down.

As for Eifert in Dallas... sure, there's a part of me that understands that it's not the biggest need. But when you're talking about putting weapons on the field, he would make the Cowboys a match up nightmare for our NFC East foes.
Atlanta is an interesting thought. They have the 30th pick and the 60th in the 2nd.

Would moving out of 18 and going to 30 be worth getting the 60th pick?

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:18 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm hoping for a move down with Atlanta or SF, both seem to want to move up. Maybe someone wants a QB there, If we were just gonna take somebody like Reid, Cyprien, or Sylvestor Williams may as well move down for at least another 2nd. Value suggest that a 2nd is all it takes to get from 30 to 18 but that doesn't mean you can't ask for more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:27 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
As for Eifert in Dallas... sure, there's a part of me that understands that it's not the biggest need. But when you're talking about putting weapons on the field, he would make the Cowboys a match up nightmare for our NFC East foes.

I know what you mean, and I do like Eifert, but I'm just tired of us being that team where we concern ourselves with another flashy weapon to showcase and then in tough dog fight games it doesn't do us any good. We just have way too many internal issues and enough weapons but I would like us to try and build this team up differently then what we have been doing lately.

In my head when I see Witten catching 90 balls, Dez catching 100, and Miles Austin still on the team making what he makes, that is more then enough for any sufficient offense to score points. But if we can't block anyone, or stop anyone over the top(having nightmares of the Redskins game where a WR was always running by our secondary for a deep bomb), I don't really see any difference in the way we'll probably end the season.

I don't want to knock it as a pick that won't happen, I just won't be very happy. I don't want to force a lineman, because for all I know we could get out of the draft and sign both Winston and Moore, but we need to invest a premium pick on somebody and try giving our QB a clean pocket to throw from.

Quote:
Old 04-25-2013, 02:41 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

Was dicussing the draft with a coworker and mentioned names from Warmack, Cooper, Fluker, Eifert, Vacarro... just about every single person they would realistically draft... and I realized. Dallas just isn't a spectacularly talented team and I'm not sure there's a player they could draft in the first (or the second) that would be a major talent upgrade at a position of need.

Tavon Austin? Miles is always hurt and I think a little bit of Jason Garrett would love to run more 3-wide sets.

Tyler Eifert? Could become a more explosive Jason Witten and would allow Dallas to finally be able to run the 2 tight end set Bill Parcells always wanted to.

Eddie Lacy? Demarco Murray has been chronically nicked up since college.

I'm going into this draft thinking positively and that Dallas is going to improve it's talent and the team over the next 3 days. GO COWBOYS!
Rev Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I'm hoping for a move down with Atlanta or SF, both seem to want to move up. Maybe someone wants a QB there, If we were just gonna take somebody like Reid, Cyprien, or Sylvestor Williams may as well move down for at least another 2nd. Value suggest that a 2nd is all it takes to get from 30 to 18 but that doesn't mean you can't ask for more.
Might have to throw a late pick back at Atlanta to get a trade, asking for more just isn't in the cards IMO. If they were willing to pay more, they'd just move up ahead of our pick with a higher drafting team.

Trade might look like this. Dallas' 1st, and 6th rounder for Atlanta's 1st and 2nd rounder
Old 04-25-2013, 02:51 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
Atlanta is an interesting thought. They have the 30th pick and the 60th in the 2nd.

Would moving out of 18 and going to 30 be worth getting the 60th pick?
No, but ATL could give up a 2014 1st and in that case....
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:53 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
If this is indeed a "Jason Garrett" draft, not sure he's concerned about stockpiling picks going forward. He's probably out of a job unless he makes the playoffs, and probably has to win a game.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:56 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hello Ed Reynolds S, Stanford
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
Hello Ed Reynolds S, Stanford
You think Ed Reynolds will be there at 32? Hmmmmm....
Old 04-25-2013, 03:01 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

So who's expected to be there at 18 that teams may be interested in trading up for? I've heard Eifert, Fluker, or Sylvester Williams. Can't see a team trading up for a tight end or a right tackle - especially since there shouldn't be a huge dropoff in grade from Eifert to Ertz or Williams to Short.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:13 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Heard Minny wants to get in front of the Bears for Teo

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:14 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Heard Minny wants to get in front of the Bears for Teo
Great news!

Quote:
Old 04-25-2013, 03:16 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Great news!
I wonder if they'd be idiotic enough to give up that other 1st round pick along with a 2nd or a 3rd.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:25 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Bolyard View Post
If this is indeed a "Jason Garrett" draft, not sure he's concerned about stockpiling picks going forward. He's probably out of a job unless he makes the playoffs, and probably has to win a game.
I doubr Jerry Jones would ever give up the glory of deciding the Cowboy's picks. I also doubt that Garrett gets much more than a nod in making the pick. Kiffin probably has as much say as Garrett, so while Garrett may want to do so and so, Kiffin is likely trying to sell Jerry his defensive needs over Garrett's.
That is a problem in any organization where the GM/owner does all the hiring and doesn't give his HC much imput into decisions. It is not a very functional system. After all, I doubt with his job on the line, Garrett wanted to dump Ryan and bring in another DC with a completely different defensive system.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Quote:
Great news!
I'm guessing you're looking at the Vikings 2nd first rounder and their 3rd rounder or their first 1st rounder and their 4th...
Old 04-25-2013, 03:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's true. Jason controls who we draft.

But Jerry controls the trades. That's his baby.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I doubr Jerry Jones would ever give up the glory of deciding the Cowboy's picks. I also doubt that Garrett gets much more than a nod in making the pick. Kiffin probably has as much say as Garrett, so while Garrett may want to do so and so, Kiffin is likely trying to sell Jerry his defensive needs over Garrett's.
That is a problem in any organization where the GM/owner does all the hiring and doesn't give his HC much imput into decisions. It is not a very functional system. After all, I doubt with his job on the line, Garrett wanted to dump Ryan and bring in another DC with a completely different defensive system.
If that's what you think then you're simply wrong. But I don't blame you. Lots of non-Cowboys fans think that. It's media driven. They love to make a story out of Jerry even if it spins the truth.

Jimmy made his picks. Bill made his picks. Wade made the Spencer pick. lol. Jason has made his picks the last 2 drafts. He'll do it again.

Wade had absolutely NO spine. Jerry/Ciscowski ran those drafts and they were bad.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:33 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
What are your thoughts on taking Eifert @ 18? I personally have been warming to the idea. Especially if Cooper, Warmack and Richardson are already gone.
At first I was against it just because of the idea of needs, but the more I thought about it, the more I like it.

Eifert has potential to turn into an all around TE. He isn't just a pass catcher. I could argue the types of mismatches you can get with him on the field are superior to what you would get with Tavon Austin, and I'm sure everyone who be fine if he was the pick.

Having Witten & Eifert wouldn't just help in the run game and mismatches either -- pairing him with Dez would give the team an insane red zone combination.

So when you think about the combination of things you can do with Eifert, and the potential of having him, Witten, Austin, Dez and Murray on the field at the same time, I believe you have the potential for something real special.

Defenses can go into the nickel, and face a mismatch vs the run, or they can stay in base, and face a mismatch vs the pass.

Get a G/C in the 2/3 and sign a FA tackle and you've got a hell of a team on paper.

Slide a safety in somewhere and the team has done reasonably well considering where they were pre-draft.
DrewyVuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Interesting stuff with Scott (Wright) having us taking:

#18 Fluker don't think Scott thinks we're moving to a ZBS
Noteable guys drafted after:
#23 Sylvester Williams by the Vikings
Keep that in mind with rumor Vikings want to move up for Teo
#26 Bjoern Werner
#31 Johnathan Cyprien
#36 Damontre Moore
#37 Eric Reid
#40 Datone Jones
#41 Justin Pugh

#47 Kawaan Short An absolute steal here, but if we already have Williams...
#51 DJ Swearinger
#53 Travis Frederick
#56 Kyle Long
#77 Alex Okafor

#80 Le'Veon Bell Earlier than I'd like a back considering...
#88 David Quessenberry
#89 Dallas Thomas
#91 David Bakhtiari
#93 Barrett Jones
#95 Zavier Gooden

So So So many options, especially with all the possible trade options.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Quote:
If that's what you think then you're simply wrong. But I don't blame you. Lots of non-Cowboys fans think that. It's media driven. They love to make a story out of Jerry even if it spins the truth.

Jimmy made his picks. Bill made his picks. Wade made the Spencer pick. lol. Jason has made his picks the last 2 drafts. He'll do it again.

Wade had absolutely NO spine. Jerry/Ciscowski ran those drafts and they were bad.
Agreed, and apparently Garrett has already voiced his displeasure of taking Matt Johnson and Kyle Wilbur last season knowing they had injury concerns.

Probably means we can count out them taking Carradine or Lattimore unless they completely fall several rounds to where we simply can't ignore them.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:48 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewyVuitton View Post
At first I was against it just because of the idea of needs, but the more I thought about it, the more I like it.

Eifert has potential to turn into an all around TE. He isn't just a pass catcher. I could argue the types of mismatches you can get with him on the field are superior to what you would get with Tavon Austin, and I'm sure everyone who be fine if he was the pick.

Having Witten & Eifert wouldn't just help in the run game and mismatches either -- pairing him with Dez would give the team an insane red zone combination.

So when you think about the combination of things you can do with Eifert, and the potential of having him, Witten, Austin, Dez and Murray on the field at the same time, I believe you have the potential for something real special.

Defenses can go into the nickel, and face a mismatch vs the run, or they can stay in base, and face a mismatch vs the pass.

Get a G/C in the 2/3 and sign a FA tackle and you've got a hell of a team on paper.

Slide a safety in somewhere and the team has done reasonably well considering where they were pre-draft.
Yup yup. Draft him and I go into any game knowing defenses will be on their heels.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:03 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Agreed, and apparently Garrett has already voiced his displeasure of taking Matt Johnson and Kyle Wilbur last season knowing they had injury concerns.

Probably means we can count out them taking Carradine or Lattimore unless they completely fall several rounds to where we simply can't ignore them.
Source? I have NEVER heard this

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 04-25-2013, 04:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I never heard that either. Plus, neither were hurt on draft day.

What about Coale? Is Garrett mad at himself too?
Old 04-25-2013, 04:16 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Quote:
It was cited one of the crap sites like bleacherreport or something and I think can be implied from reading between the lines:

Anyone drafted HAS to contribue this season because it's Garrett's job on the line. And maybe it was becaue Garrett felt like Wilbur and Johnson weren't capable of competing for a job last season even if they weren't injured or something. I can't seem to find it either, but I had thought it was cited on bloggingtheboys or something?
Old 04-25-2013, 04:27 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It was cited one of the crap sites like bleacherreport or something and I think can be implied from reading between the lines:

Anyone drafted HAS to contribue this season because it's Garrett's job on the line. And maybe it was becaue Garrett felt like Wilbur and Johnson weren't capable of competing for a job last season even if they weren't injured or something. I can't seem to find it either, but I had thought it was cited on bloggingtheboys or something?
Meh. I cant see a HC saying that about his players. Those guys will have a chance to contribute this year